cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 18 August 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Aug 18, 11 12:11 AM
Any comments fishes?

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:Todays DD 18 August 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Aug 18, 11 1:44 AM
I like this series. With that said, this is a large file adventure game, it's not a hog. I enjoy large file adventure games. This is 1 chapter of 12. If your not a fan of adventure games where you walk around alot and solve the story, this is not the game for you. But I really like this game. It really seems very real with the graphics and voiceovers. It is very difficult and challenging but very enjoyable. So for those who love large file adventure games, be sure to check this series out. So far has only 3 of the chapters of this series. I hope they get them all. I really like this series and it's quit challenging. Enjoy!

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Aug 18, 11 2:15 AM
You've summed that up perfectly LovetoMissLisa. I tried it when it first came out & couldn't get on with it at all. Then I started playing adventure games & got the hang of them. I bought the London Scene when it came out as a DD & suddenly found I liked it so when the latest one came out i bought that too. I've been hanging on for this one hoping that it might be a DD since there were now more available.

I'm hooked noe & will get them all eventually.

But, as you said, they are not HJOGs, they involve a lot of thinking and running around. great if you like that sort of game but now for everyone.

I bought todays DD as soon as I saw it, before even checking out the TGT.

yvonnehoho
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by yvonnehoho on Aug 18, 11 4:52 AM
I wanted to buy AGON, but....the BUY IT button is not working

anybode else having the same problem?

I bought TGT Twisted Lands, no problem at all

help

Yvonne

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Aug 18, 11 4:52 AM

I'm honestly not understanding what kind of game this is? Is this like one of those Sherlock Holmes-type game wherein you had to click on Holmes to get him to move someplace and then have no idea what else to do?

I tried one of those Sherlock Holmes game (as did alot of other fishies) and we all said the same thing -- couldn't make heads nor tails out of it and all (including myself) uninstalled the game.

MEnr56

P.S. As this is a DD today, I'll check back later if someone has a clearer definition of what kind of game this is and clarify it for me; thanks

[Post New]by doofenschmurtz on Aug 18, 11 7:51 AM
This is definetly one of the most boring and migh I say hardest games I've ever encountered.First you go thru about 10 minutes of reading before you ever get close to a game.There's no real hint system and if you want a headache from flying around the screen this is a game for you.Looked interesting but I just uninstalled it
not worth giving it space it's a large file and not a FUN game.But some rocket scientist would probably like it.

enibas95
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by enibas95 on Aug 18, 11 7:54 AM
I realy wanted to like this game but I don't know what to do. A lot of walking around and reading letters but no hint of what's going on. I also got a little dizzy with the movements. Soooo, a no buy for me.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Aug 18, 11 7:58 AM
I couldn't get on with the spinning around either. No sense of direction anyway and just couldn't cope.

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Aug 18, 11 8:19 AM
MEnr56 wrote:

I'm honestly not understanding what kind of game this is? Is this like one of those Sherlock Holmes-type game wherein you had to click on Holmes to get him to move someplace and then have no idea what else to do?
P.S. As this is a DD today, I'll check back later if someone has a clearer definition of what kind of game this is and clarify it for me; thanks

This is a pure adventure game - there are no HOG scenes, no sparkles and very little direction. You have to investigate everything, pick up everything you can & decide where to use them and what to do next. If you like even a small amount of hand-holding it is not for you. I'm not sure about the Sherlock Holmes games, I would have said more like Syberia except it is 360 movement.
if you decide to try it further, it would be useful to get a walkthrough, I'm not sure whether there is one here but you can get one by Google.
It's not an easy game by any means but for those who like woprking out for themselves what to do next it's a good buy at DD price.
I think most people will either hate it or love it, it's a matter of personal choice. But don't give up too soon, it's a case of getting used to a different way of playing.
If you want more feedback PM me and I'll try to help.
Bella

RivenWolfe
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by RivenWolfe on Aug 18, 11 9:11 AM
Having loved games like Syberia and Scratches I remember paying the full price for the first Agon game, the London Scene, being ever so excited at finding another Adventure game here that I'd not heard of and was enjoying only to have the game finished an hour later. I remember thinking "but, but we've just started, where's the rest of the game?" I swore that I'd not buy another Agon game at full price if I was only going to get an hours game play.

I'm thinking of grabbing it today but I just wanted to ask how long it is, preferably from a gamer that is used to adventure games because people not used to them will complain they are too hard or they have been playing the game for days.
Then I suppose at 2.99 you can't go too far wrong even if it only lasts an hour or two.

I enjoyed the first game but was so disappointed at the length of it, I realize now it seems to be a series, that by the looks of it will never actually be finished if it is supposed to have 12 chapters.

I'm also curious as to why people not used to adventure games slam them so much? I grew up on Adventure games like Mist, and as much as I enjoy certain HOGs and TMs, I'd rather a game with substance and a need to actually use your brain cells than blunder along and skipping any puzzle that is "too hard" or "not liked" any day. At least I know with most adventure games I'll have a few days play, if not a few weeks game play over the the 2-4 hours I get with a HOG.

edit... Having looked around the forum a little more, it seems this has two episodes of the game in one, so it should be a decent few hours game play, if not a day or two. In that case, worth the price if you like these games.

Edited on 08/18/2011 at 9:24:24 AM PST

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Aug 18, 11 9:28 AM
Rivenwolf

I don't know for suere how long it is. I bought the London Scene as a DD and thought it well worth it to "get the feel" of it. I'm pretty sure when I tried this one the first time I found a walkthrough so that would give you some idea of the lenght but I'm sure it's going to be worth it as a DD; It's certainly not an easy game but now I know what it's all about I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it.

ETA - just seen your edit - thanks for that - seems like a good buy.

Edited on 08/18/2011 at 9:30:21 AM PST

RivenWolfe
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by RivenWolfe on Aug 18, 11 11:35 AM
Bella,

With the large file games I usually look for a walk through to help me determine how long the game will be before I buy it. The longer, the better in my eyes. I couldn't find one for this particular game, however if you google 'Agon The Mysterious Codex walk through', you'll find it. It seems the The Mysterious Codex was released with all three games in one (London, Lapland and Madagascar), so having a look at that minus London, it seems like a fairly hefty game and it should take a good few hours (or days) to finish. So definitely with the buy with it as a DD. Now to keep our fingers crossed they'll release the 4th installment, The Lost Sword of Toledo, as a DD because people have said that is the longest episode in the series so far. Failing that, it might be a good buy for a monthly credit.

I agree with you, it isn't the easiest game, but that's just how I like them. Games like this really work the grey matter.
I'm glad to see another Adventure game convert, Bella. ^^

Happy gaming and thinking.

Cami

TigerJo714
Stingray
Stingray
5,122 Posts

[Post New]by TigerJo714 on Aug 18, 11 1:44 PM
yvonnehoho wrote:I wanted to buy AGON, but....the BUY IT button is not working

anybode else having the same problem?

I bought TGT Twisted Lands, no problem at all

help

Yvonne

If you`re talking about the one in the Game Manager, I have the same problem. I had to come back to the site the other day to BUY, then reinstall the game. Try that - hope it works for you.

sherheff
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by sherheff on Aug 18, 11 2:05 PM
This is the first time I have ever played a BF game for less than the free hour. I just couldn't get into the story line, I found it to be VERY boring and disconnected.

[Post New]by littlegamefisher on Aug 18, 11 5:43 PM
I, too, wanted to like this one. The graphics, animations, and voice overs are superb. It's a really professionally done game. But...

I'm a real lover of true adventure games and don't mind being a little lost in them at times but this is a no-buy for me due to its awkward navigation system. Again, 360 degree movement doesn't bother me but this doesn't always have it and what it has requires hit and miss movement to get to where you want (or where you think you want) to go. Even in the beginning, it was impossible for me to enter the train station until I went all the way around.

At $2.99, I kept trying to convince myself I had nothing to lose, but I fear this would be one sitting in my game manager gathering microbytic dust. Au revoir, Agon.

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Aug 18, 11 9:12 PM
I am no stranger to large file point and click, first or third person point of view adventure games. I still own dozens of them and played them for years before discovering Big Fish, so I was excited when I downloaded this DD, but at the same time it was sounding vaguely familiar. Sure enough after I went through my postings, I found that the London Scene episode DD'd back in January. I also commented on it as being extremely annoying and frustrating (I couldn't even be bothered to finish the demo; it was that aggravating). I'm deleting the download before I even try as it appears that this sequel navigates in exactly the same manner, and would be a waste of my time.

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Aug 18, 11 10:37 PM
littlegamefisher wrote: ...in the beginning, it was impossible for me to enter the train station until I went all the way around.

If you are not used to this way of navigation, it is a good idea to practice a little. Turn by holding down the left mouse button and always turn slowly at the beginning.

Set the panning speed to slow in game options. That makes it a lot easier and you will get used to it soon.

Go to: