bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Reviews for Spirit Soup: The Queensbury Curse

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 20, 11 12:30 AM
Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Spirit Soup: The Queensbury Curse? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Edited on 08/21/2011 at 1:54:14 PM PST

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Re:Review for Spirit Soup: The Queensbury Curse

[Post New]by TeamSD on Aug 20, 11 12:49 AM
The BETA of this game out on June-July 2010 From the new developer (???) called Twilight Games! The plot is humorous and the game itself is great! It reminds me of The Fool.... The concept of the game is like HOG (similar to Drawn) but with no HOG scenes so it's Adventure game! Graphics are a bit out dated but it's crystal clear! Puzzles are also very fun, and the game seems to be long because there're lots of places to visit as i can see from the map. There's only one mode but with not many sparkles so it's a buy for me!

Grades:

Graphics: B
Music: B
Story: A
Puzzles: A
Fun: A
Gameplay: A
Overall: A

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Edited on 08/20/2011 at 1:34:52 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 20, 11 1:02 AM
I like the game. It's remind me of the earlier games. A true adventure. Puzzles are nice. I think there is a lot to do.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Aug 20, 11 1:04 AM
edit: FINISHED TIP - I played the whole game without the custom curser, not knowing the custom one apparently goes into magnfying glass, try it both ways it may be harder without the custom one?
This took me about close to 4hrs. (with coffee breaks, rough guess) I don't skip puzzles and like to take my time. Like any adventure game if you skip puzzles then it's going to be short. I like how the puzzles are unlocked so I can replay them. Really enjoyable fun, different game. Give it a solid B I would have given it a B+ if it had been widescreen and slightly longer I just didn't want it to end, and no sparkles.
I don't give many A's out as then it would have to be as good as dire grove.

Ah adventure gamers, at last a game for us! It does look and play like an "old style" adventure game.

IHOG gamers -

This is a good bridge for you to try an adventure game like the large files games. A couple of things if you are not used to them. (edit There are a couple of sparkles if you are in a scene long enough). Forget IHOG play of being penalised when you click. In this type of play you have to click EVERYTHING. If you are stuck the hint button will tell you in the scene you are in, what to do and it does refresh quickly. There is a skip for the puzzles, also a helpful 'help' button. The journal gives you your current goals. The graphics may not be to everyone's taste, as it is different to what most recent HOPA are. There is an non interactive map that gives you vague hints as to where you should look. The H O scene is more the find the object in the scene you are in, and not the typical zoom in to a specific hidden object scene. For those like hidden object games, then this may not be for you as it is more adventure.

adventure gamers
- This is no Syberia, Return to mysterious island, voyage etc, definitely 'light' but I am enjoying it.
Quite easy, but that makes a nice change for me as though I love adventure games, I am not particularly good or quick at them. Definitely coupon worthy. Have no idea how long it is, which may be the only downfall if it turns out to be short.
I am just glad there is something to spend my coupon on, and that it is an adventure game for a change

Edited on 08/24/2011 at 12:11:14 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 20, 11 1:07 AM

This is a quietly humerous adventure with occasional H0 to pick up inventory items.

I really like it and got it for a coupon.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Aug 20, 11 1:44 AM
I was happy to see it was an adventure game. I thought at first it was going to be an outdated hidden object game. (thats what the snapshots looked like). The good news is for people who aren't familiar with this genre of game, the hint button is helpful and comes back within like 20 seconds maybe less. I was happy to see something adventure like since I am such a huge fan of the genre now and have been spending all my game coupons stocking up on whatever I can. I have gotten over not being able to test drive a game too because if it doesn't work for whatever reason, BFG will give you your coupon/money back so there is really no risk. I highly recommend the Art of Murder Series before it turned Hidden Object. Anyways back to this game. I enjoyed what I played and I can't wait to play more. Its nice to have a game that isn't so dark and dreary even though I like those games too.

Oh & @ ginger gal, you really explained adventure style games well to people who might not have tried the genre before. They become addicting to be quite honest. I can't get enough of them and by becoming an expert at them, I've improved tremendously in Hidden Object Games, probably why I usually chose to wait for the SE because I don't need the strategy guides anymore. I just always seem to figure out what to do and it so wasn't that way before

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Aug 20, 11 1:51 AM
Good Morning all.

Well as you may have gathered this is a well made very pleasant game that is immensely enjoyable.

There are the usual options, sound / music / effects etc, curser, windowed mode.

Although there is no difficulty level, there is an option to skip the tutorial & so far sparkles have been at a minimum

In game you have a non interactive map that indicates where you are and where there are things to do.

You also have a diary that contains your"story so far" or progress and a list of things to do.

I only needed a hint to try to find something that wasn't available at the time & I got the "there is nothing to do here now message that I always find useful.

There have been quite a few puzzles so far, not difficult because I could do them, but enough to make the little grey cells get a work out. They can be skipped after a time & the help gives instructions. I noticed on one puzzle that you could ask for more help if necessary.

I have done quite a bit of walking about, but then I was barking up the wrong tree about something.

All in all this is a lovely little game which is going to give me hours of pleasurable playing.

Jojo

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Aug 20, 11 2:43 AM
Gingergal and Megwoman - I really wish that you stop to "seduce" me to pass to "your party"... I began my way with Adventure games (HOGs weren't exist then), and I still have "tones" of downloaded walkthroughs folders, without which I couldn't move and ran after my tail as a cat...

Same happened in this game. After 2 screens I got stuck, and deleted the game. Two coupons are burning my pocket, and I can't use them. No, I don't want to click anywhere, I want the program to be more friendly; "nothing to do here" means nothing - I want a hint.

At least, in an Adventure HOG, I can get some object here and there - not in pure Adventure game, unless it is a CE (hint, hint developers)...

May be it's a good game, but I can't play with shackles...

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Aug 20, 11 3:15 AM
I was a little hesitant to try this when I saw it was an adventure game. I was reluctant to let go of the hand-holding and sparkles . But after all the really good comments about it, I decided to give it a try. And I am really glad I did . I was enjoying it so much that the demo timed out on me! Thanks to all for the great reviews and detailed explanations for adventure games in general and this one in particular. As others have said the graphics are crystal and the music is theme appropriate imo. There is a choice of custom(which behaved beautifully) or system cursor and no click penalty for using it. Great! Nothing is timed. Perfect! I have enjoyed the puzzles so far and am vastly looking forward to getting back to the game. I highly recommend giving this one a try. Thanks and devs for a great game! Off to purchase now!
Happy Gaming All

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Aug 20, 11 3:21 AM
I like it and have already bought it

I really enjoy these type of games and with this one there is a reasonable story and the puzzles are not as easy as they would appear to be at first glance. There is even the added bonus of being able to replay the puzzles once they have been unlocked .

While the music is OK it is repetitious but, as I would rather play these types of games with no music at all so I can concentrate, I just muted it after a while.

Sorry but I can't tell you anything about the map, diary or the hint system as I haven't used them yet and I forgot to try them before coming to write a quick review but luckily the other reviewers are on the ball .

Must dash I have a game to play .

Cherb

ETA ...

Finished without using the hint once although I did end up skipping a couple of puzzles even after using the extra help because I get too impatient to try again when I am so close to solving them . It took me about 3.1/2 hours (which included eating lunch and then slowly savouring tiramisu icecream) .

I didn't find it humourous but I still enjoyed playing it and don't regret purchasing it even though I wish that it had lasted a bit longer. For those of you who prefer a longer game for your money I would recommend that you wait for a sale to buy it in.

Edited on 08/20/2011 at 8:33:48 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 20, 11 4:20 AM
This is a good game. Especially the gameplay is very good. But I think I will wait till it is the Daily Deal or if we have the next sale, but only because the game is so short

[Post New]by heatherington on Aug 20, 11 4:29 AM
I like it. I'm stuck, but I like it. I bought it already. It's easy to do things when they are necessary to do. I knew I could break out of that prison cell. When you are contained in one room its easier to figure out than if you have to go over all tarnation looking for that one something. It's a good game. Simple, yet challenging.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Aug 20, 11 4:36 AM
This is a good Adventure game. For those of you that don't like adventure games, your going to like this one. It's simple and interesting. Good graphics and story. Overall it's a good game. And most definietly worth trying. And a must have and buy for me. It's very different in it's game play and it's not a hog...but don't let that discourage you, if your a hog lover. If your not a hog lover, your really going to like this game.

Take the time to download and try this game. I'm seeing alot of people not giving games a try, since all the great CE's have come out. Yes, there really great and amazing. But there are so many gems, I think people are passing up.

This game is worth your time to check out. I always think you should revisit a game you don't like... another day...because moods do effects the way we look at a game. But this game will brighten your mood today. Enjoy this little surprising gem of a game.

I rate this game: "PIGLET"

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)

Edited on 08/20/2011 at 4:36:58 AM PST

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Aug 20, 11 4:56 AM
I have to say at first looking at it, I didn't think I would care for the game, but I really liked it. It was was like an "old-time" Adventure game. The graphics were good, music was okay, hint recharge was fast, it was pretty easy to follow. I liked the idea of the map , but it would have been an good idea to relocate on it instead of going back and forth. But I guess that's just part of the game . I was disappointed when the demo ran off. If I could right now, I would buy it. I put it on my wish list anyway. I would rate it a 9 out of 10.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Aug 20, 11 5:01 AM
I really feel stupid, because I'm at the very beginning and already stuck. However, I like the looks and "feel" of the game so much, that I'm going to keep trying, and will probably buy. I like adventure games and this looks like a good one.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Aug 20, 11 5:44 AM
I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did.
The game play is just difficult enough to keep things moving. There are no hidden object scenes but you are always looking for something. The mini games are, for the most part, original. They can be skipped but I found that if you keep working in them for the length of time it takes the skip to fill you will solve them yourself.
The hint systems leaves a bit to be desired. If you are stuck you can look at the map to find the places where you still have things to do but if you click the hint it will simply tell you that there is nothing to do where you are at.
They called this humorous and I really didn't see the humor but it is a good game.
I probably would have used a coupon for this game but with no walk through I have no way of telling how long it is and that's a deal breaker for me.

out of 5. Would have given it a 4 1/2 had there been a walk through.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Aug 20, 11 6:23 AM
What a pleasant surprise this morning. When I saw the intro to this game I thought oh no, another dark,depressing game with demons. When I started to play, I saw how nice and bright the graphics are. The music is cheerful, but it is repetitious so I turned it off. I like it because I can figure things out myself. I will use my punch card credit to purchase. Have a happy day, smile and be nice to each other.

moonladydi
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,113 Posts

[Post New]by moonladydi on Aug 20, 11 6:40 AM
I liked the game, what I could play of it. I've posted in the tech thread so won't repeat it here. But I can't understand why some of you are saying it's not H0. When you get a list of things to collect for a recipe', aren't they hidden objects? Whatever it is, it is fun.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 20, 11 7:14 AM
Finished the game and I had a good time. Nice puzzles some are very hard. You can play the puzzles after you finished the game.

I found the game not short, it's took me 5 hours.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Aug 20, 11 8:11 AM
BearKat, I agree with everything you said.

Just want to add my thanks for the great reviews and
explanations, that made me brave enough to buy this.

Edit to add that I finished it today and did enjoy it very
much. I ALWAYS need a walkthrough in Adventures,
but got thru this with the forum having answers for the
three times I was unable to figure things out. Might be
too easy for experienced adventure players, but it was
great level for me, and I did learn a lot more about
thinking "outside the box". I'd love more at this skill
level and do hope there is the hinted at sequel.

Love the additional mini-games available at the end.
Wish more games would do this.

Edited on 08/21/2011 at 10:07:23 AM PST

Go to: