TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Reviews for Sonya Collector's Edition

[Post New]by TeamSD on Aug 21, 11 1:08 AM
The game is great! Graphics are clear and very beautiful! Story is also good enough...music are great! Puzzles are fun but not interesting, HOG scenes can be repetitive sometimes cuz you need to find the same items all over again but it's great mixture of FROG and HOG! The game on difficult side, there're sparkles but the game itself is a bit difficult! Hint system is really useful!

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Story: A
Music: A
Puzzles: B
HOG Scenes: B
Fun: A
Gameplay: A
Overall: A

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Edited on 08/21/2011 at 2:41:05 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Reviews for Sonya Collector's Edition

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 21, 11 1:21 AM
I, too, thought this was a real keeper but then I had to go back to the same H0 scenes for a second H0 list pick and all the previous objects were there just as they had been before I visited those same scenes and "removed" those objects previously.

Frankly, I think that violates some kind of HOG developers guidelines to let the player feel like we're accomplishing actual tasks...dunno if that's an official part of any HOG developer's manual, but it ought to be...

OK maybe I'll buy it as a regular game or a DD.....

Edited on 08/21/2011 at 1:21:51 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Aug 21, 11 1:23 AM
Stunning IHOG, Fracture HOG with Adventure movements. One of the best games recently posted.

Crisp graphics, very helpful hint system, which can be used also for quick walkthrough when you are stuck.

I wouldn't buy it, because the SG is external, and doesn't leave you in the place you played. But the hint system saves the uncomfortable SG. Developers - we like the SG integral, see ERS SGs...

It's a positive buy.

[Post New]by Nightmare_mh on Aug 21, 11 1:38 AM
I did a beta on this several months ago and enjoyed it. I am glad to see it finally released. Was hoping it would be an SE and not a CE. I am d/l now and will see if it was as good as I remember from the beta.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Aug 21, 11 1:46 AM
I was excited to see this game pop up today as many have been talking about it in the past few months but honestly I don't see what all the hoopla was about...The best part of the game is that its hard and it has no choice of difficulty so that really thrilled me at first because it felt like games used to be on this site BUT I cannot stand the hidden object scenes. They are huge junkpiles that you return to time and time again and you find the SAME things. Also, there are no new puzzles as I played ones that I have done many times before maybe years prior and they were easy so even though the gameplay itself was awesome, the game itself wasn't. I also didn't think the graphics were all that stellar. There have been more realistic games IMO that have come out recently. All in all, I was VERY disappointed that this is the game everyone has been raving about and waiting for forever...The tasks were very easy too like I would need to do something and then two seconds later I would find what I needed. The story didn't grab me either, just another case where you are looking for your sister. I can't even say I would buy this as a SE because of the hidden objects repeating and the sound controls are weird. I tried to turn up the background sound like you can't hear it when you click the H0s BUT the music is too loud but no matter how far I moved the background sound up or the music down it made no difference. I even messed with my controls...Overall this is a no buy for me

jawfish
Herring
Herring
349 Posts

[Post New]by jawfish on Aug 21, 11 1:56 AM
I really like this game . Artwork is beautiful and scenes are generally bright.

After playing about 1.5 hours, I checked the guide to estimate the length, think it's 4-5 hours. Puzzles are quite interesting.

There are 2 kinds of hidden object scenes, the usual kind where you find objects by name and fractured. What I like most is in the fractured scenes, there are 4-5 hotspots you have to interact with using the objects you just put together. This is unique.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Aug 21, 11 1:56 AM
Jkuci: "I had to go back to the same H0 scenes for a second H0 list pick and all the previous objects were there just as they had been before I visited those same scenes and "removed" those objects previously. "

Jkuci, you played only chapter 1. The frame of the game: it is divided to 5 "big" locations (chapters), with several "small" locations inside. In each "big" location you have to move among the "small" locations, until you "clear" it from the "bad karma"...

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Aug 21, 11 1:59 AM
I agree with megawoman25 but could possibly live with it. The deal killer for me, SPARKLES = no buy.
The option to turn them off is so basic I can't be bothered playing anymore than the 10 minutes I already did.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Aug 21, 11 2:03 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:I wouldn't buy it, because the SG is external, and doesn't leave you in the place you played. But the hint system saves the uncomfortable SG. Developers - we like the SG integral, see ERS SGs...

Maybe I misunderstand "external" for the Strategy Guide (SG); but just wanted to add that it is accessible from within the game scenes. I looked quite some items up in the H0-scenes.
ETA: But that it doesn't stay where one left, is a definite minus, IMO also.

And at the risk of repeating myself: careful with that "we", please...

The SG is open in the demo with General Tips and 2 chapters. The demo is a sample version, and I finished chapter 1 with 3 minutes left of the hour that the GM shows nonetheless.

The diary inside the game has a time counter for your playing time as well, btw.

My main dislike is the same as what megwoman25 said:
BUT I cannot stand the hidden object scenes. They are huge junkpiles that you return to time and time again and you find the SAME things.

Yes, I know it's in the H0-category, but also described as "Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game". Let's just say, too many H0-scenes for me, and not enough lite Adv - independent of length of the game and bonus, no buy for me as CE.

Happy gaming nonetheless!

Edited on 08/21/2011 at 2:05:39 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Aug 21, 11 2:05 AM
(Disclaimer--35 minutes w/the demo, then the same 35 minutes w/the full version)

So, another two-CE week (or two-CEs per 7 days)--this CE is good, but probably not great. The storyline--Sonya's sister is kidnapped by a couple of mysterious strangers, and Sonya is off to the rescue. The intro is comic-book style, but very well done. The Options menu has the necessary stuff (sound and music sliders, cursor choice, and screen choice--didn't see a gameplay mode choice, though). The game cursor does the morphing thing, depending on the task (directional arrow, eyeball, hand, gears). Sparklies only to highlight H0 scenes, as far as I could tell.

The graphics throughout are watercolor-perfect--hidden-object scenes are crisp and clear, if a bit junk-pile-ish. The Hint system, which re-ups quickly, not only helps in the H0 scenes, but gives advice about what to do next. There's some interaction in the H0 scenes, and at least one scene (so far) is a Fragmented one. No voice-acting (kind of surprising, considering the file size (almost 500 Mb), but the subtitled dialogue is well-written and not wordy. There's the obligatory journal, too.

The Strategy Guide is, in fact, integrated, and not "external"--"Guide" appears at the top-center in each scene--I can't comment on whether or not it remembers where you last left off--I only checked it once to see what it looked like. The first two chapters are available with the demo (hear that, other developers?).

This is a good IHOG/FROG/Adventure, sort of "Samantha Swift" style. Sorry, I can only guess about game length--I'll say around an hour per chapter--Intro and four chapters, bonus chapter--4-5 hours? I liked it and bought it, but you've gotta find out for yourself, right?

Regards, elldee

Edited on 08/21/2011 at 2:21:20 AM PST

gpherder
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by gpherder on Aug 21, 11 2:10 AM
So far, seems to be quite a fun game. I do wish they'd spell-check their hidden object scenes a bit better though.

Wine is not vine.

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Aug 21, 11 2:19 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:Stunning IHOG, Fracture HOG with Adventure movements. One of the best games recently posted.

Crisp graphics, very helpful hint system, which can be used also for quick walkthrough when you are stuck.

I wouldn't buy it, because the SG is external, and doesn't leave you in the place you played. But the hint system saves the uncomfortable SG. Developers - we like the SG integral, see ERS SGs...

It's a positive buy.

The SG isn't external, it's in the centre top of the screen. It doesn't take you out of the game at all.

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 21, 11 2:33 AM
Hi TeamSD, thanks for starting this thread! I've gone ahead and stickied it for you!

Hey Fishies! What do you think of Sonya Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Aug 21, 11 2:36 AM
Re eviews for Sonya Collector's Edition
by gpherder on August 21, 2:10 AM
So far, seems to be quite a fun game. I do wish they'd spell-check their hidden object scenes a bit better though.

Wine is not vine.

Oh, I so agree with this. All devs should have spell check and correct names for items. Something that bugs me is calling a snaffle bit handcuffs, etc. A bit can have one straight side, handcuffs don't. Just a pet peeve.

Joy

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 21, 11 2:46 AM
I don't know why but I had to let it reload BF Stub, GM 3.0 which I already had and was working fine for me. Then I was able to load the trial with no problem, prretty quick. I did close my browser IEx8 on W7 before opening game page and hit Try, because some posters were having sign in problems.

Once I got to Options I was happy to see there is a Stretch option and Full. I have widescreen laptop, but sad to report it did not stretch to fill sides and ran like most games, black bars. There was no option for modes like Normal or Expert, which will be a thumbs down for the Expert adventure players here. I got sparkles on the HOG areas.

The game cursor has the usual morphs instead of sparkles, but you don't have to click every pixel, just moving cursor around watch for arrow to change to hand or eye or whatever.

I'm delighted with the big colorful stylized graphics, I'm basically a hog nut and those are super clear and some objects interactive, put 2 items or fragments together for your useful item. I detest frags but these are big enough and logical enough to find. A few I had to use a hint to hasten through the demo. I was confused re the Hint recharging, it was readily available with maybe a minute wait. But when I got to my next HOG I hadn't used it there and it made a thud sound and not charged. I waited so long I found the last 2 objects anyway. I checked SG, shows jus 2 chapters on sample/

re Story, covered in the promo, find sister. The written story lines moved faster than I can read so only caught a bit, could guess the rest. Interesting change of art style, comic bookish into the game fantasy stylized story book (which I like), kinda whimsical. Then I was outside and had obviously missed a room inside, no inventory to use there, SG showed I indeed had to go back in the house to a pop up I missed (prefer a glint), grabbed that object, used it and progressed onward. In 45 min I didn't hit a puzzle yet.

I'm a slow easy player, don't like "working hard" in a game so I think it will be a buy, just fun to look at and not too hard (so far). Only need one punch on second card this month so will probably wait to buy the CE, or SE later if a WT. Don't want to waste those extra punches ya know. Got enough new ones to keep me playing til I buy this game.

Others who don't like long dreary adventures give this a try. Easy on the eyes and nerves (but that's just 45 min and didn't even finish the sample. It's just interactive enough to be fun.

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Aug 21, 11 2:54 AM
I have played for half an hour and am now downloading the full version.

I think this is going to be a very enjoyable game. So far, I haven't come across the problems with the **** scenes that others have mentioned (same articles/same scene). Yes I've had to return to the same place for a second HOG scene but the articles have been different. I guess it could well still happen later in the game.

Very clean, crisp graphics. I never listen to the music so can't comment on that. Sparkles are only for indicating a HOG scene and none of those annoying flashes of light that you get in some games.

I'm certain I'm going to enjoy this game and recommend anyone who's not sure about it to give it a try.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 21, 11 3:29 AM
I have no issues with the HOG scenes, just like in any other HOG games going back to MCF Huntsville and Prime Suspects. The scenes don't change even if you revisit, the list of what to find changes. If 12 or so objects disappeared on return there wouldn't be much left to make a challenge the way I see it. Not what I'd call "junkpile" either, as some older games had one big heap of stuff on the ground. There is a LOT of "clutter" to hunt through, I admit but most objects are readily visible if you pause long enough. Sometimes I do remember seeing things that weren't on the list when I return I find them easier. Of course I click on every key I see just in case LOL.

It's the hunt and click other scenes for inventory that do disappear or aren't accessible when you return to a location if you've already done that task. So far this game looked like a hog lover's game, like I wrote, when I did miss a popup for 2 objects the SG showed me where it was to return to grab those. So, doesn't look like being stuck long is going to be a problem and as long as puzzles have SKIPs that's fine with me. It doesn't feel heavy or depressing, just your usual figure out how to unlock something which keeps me perplexed as to why these or former characters had to lock everything up and hide the keys. Or, get something to move clutter out of the way to enter a door. So, nice original graphics are what keep me coming back, something new to look at and admire and objects to find. The more clutter the better challenge for me.

oasis53
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by oasis53 on Aug 21, 11 3:47 AM
I am a **** freak too but this is not one I would like to purchase...seems slow to me...definately not a "collectors edition"... have to keep going back to same place for **** scenes..I prefer to progress in games and not retrace steps...
So glad there are many of you giving this a good rating...guess that is what makes us all different!!

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Aug 21, 11 3:52 AM

i finished the demo in 50 mn(already in the forest and found the way)i have not seen the SG,so i can't evalue the length,but it is on easy side and around 4 hours;good hidden -adventure objects game;is it worth a CE?every body has to answer for himself

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Aug 21, 11 4:06 AM
This game is o.k. I wouldn't buy it at CE prices. But if is offered on sale or DD/Cotw, I will get it. I found it a little boring and slow. Although the graphics are good. No voiceovers leave's me empty. When you have cartoon like graphics you need to at least add voiceovers to perk it up. But it's an o.k. game. I'll wait for it to be on sale. But like I always say...check the game out for yourself. You never know what one like's. Enjoy!

I rate this game: "PIGLET"

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)
FINSHED GAME: I enjoyed the game more than I thought I would. I found the graphics and story to be very good. And I would definitely buy this game at regular price. This just shows you, when you finish a game, how it can change your mind. I highly recommend this game. It's great!

Edited on 01/04/2012 at 8:18:18 AM PST

Go to: