cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 22 August 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Aug 22, 11 12:03 AM
Any comments fishes?

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:Todays DD 22 August 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Aug 22, 11 1:55 AM
Hi there all,
Well, this game was originally released in 2009, to mixed reactions (though for those of you who remember her it was approved by Poodlebear!!).
This is an adventure game with cartoon-style graphics and an overlap of tasks to complete as you move on through the game (inventory items etc to collect and use as required).
The characters are stereotyped (and this did create some reaction about this), but if you like this sort of game, this will be a good deal at this price.
And you also will DL the latest build and have a forum and WT to assist you.
Cheers
Edited to add, of course I recommend that you try this game for yourself, before you purchase it.
Edited again in light of my misguided first line. I really am not a bully.

Edited on 08/22/2011 at 11:56:26 PM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Aug 22, 11 2:54 AM
Hi Cleo ,

Thanks for the thread, it's useful for there to be a special DD one. I am not around here early enough & I appreciate anyone who starts it nice and early to encourage that day's reviews to be put in a separate thread.

I noticed that when you stopped for a week, the DD comments sometimes got put in the main C & R thread. The mods have authorised separate DD threads & it's great IMO to find DD comments kept easy to find when considering a game for a sale weeks or months later on.

Another reason that these threads are handy long after the game has stopped being the DD - when I find a game which is new (to me) it's handy to be able to skim the thread titles to find it if it has ever been a DD before and how many times and how long ago. Helps me to decide whether to splurge a coupon/credit or wait and see if it becomes a DD soon.

So I for one really hope that you won't let pointed comments (& when it's from the same person, that starts to become harassment in my book) about you not always having your own comment about that day's game stop you from starting these threads daily to point the direction for those who do and those who just want to read them later .

I am sorry to everyone for my off topic post. I haven't had chance to try the game yet (just arrived in the pond) but I felt the need to post because this is at least the second time (by at least, I mean it's twice to my knowledge, and I don't always look) that the same poster has commented publicly on the way Cleo starts these daily threads.

It was more obvious direct criticism last time rather than todays pointed follow-up remark (which may seem harmless to anyone who didn't see the other post), but on seeing it being mentioned again by the same person I wanted to post to ask that the harassment stop. It's not fair to Cleo herself &, if it continues, could spoil this daily (game relevant) thread for those who do appreciate what Cleo does (as others have done before her). The criticism has been public twice and that is why my defence (first time) is in public.

Hi there cleoladycat, I have some comments to make apart from asking for some!!
Replies to these threads should be about the game (hence my apology) but the mods said (during the CCR&OC fuss in June) that it's OK to have this thread and they seem to have had no problem with how Cleo starts them. I wish you would stop picking on her.

Edited on 08/22/2011 at 3:54:26 AM PST

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Aug 22, 11 4:28 AM
At the risk of causing the mods to react to off-topic posts, I would like to say that I too appreciate the DD thread. It makes it SO much simpler to get a feel for the day's offering. I didn't realize there had been any kind of negative reaction to this (I don't read the day's thread each time) but I think it is a helpful gesture on Cleo's part to start it.

JayTeeLine
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by JayTeeLine on Aug 22, 11 4:42 AM
Hey to all the fishy pond peoples from jt.

I appreciate it when the 'Todays DD' thread is started. No matter who starts it. Thank you. And since I am over here across the pond from Oz and the states both, it is a big help for me when determing whether or not to buy the DD.

I enjoy the reviewer opinions and also value them all, but haven't had time to give this one a try, Arriving somewhat late today, so will hopefully be back in a flash with my comment/review, if that is ok?

Uh oh.....I went off topic from the OP, so hope you will all overlook my blunder. Sorry 'bout that, but wanted to jump in and say thanks to the DD thread starters. Whoever they may be, and however or why ever -- they start the thread !!

Thank you.

NavyMom90
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by NavyMom90 on Aug 22, 11 5:45 AM
I agree that this thread is a great service!
It doesn't matter who starts it, only that it IS started.
I often refer to this thread to help me to learn more about the game. This thread puts current reviews right out there for you from others who have already purchased and/or finished the game. A definite plus for me! Kudos!

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Aug 22, 11 5:56 AM
I have the Christmas edition of this game(Great Adventures: Xmas Edition) and my granddaughter (who was 9 at the time) and I, had a blast playing it when I bought it 12/19/10. It is such a fun change of pace from the almost daily H0Gs that until the last week + that were about all you ever saw offered here.

I saw when I started a thread about the game that we were playing that many said it was exactly the same as this game except that Xmas Edition has added a quest of decorating a huge Christmas tree that is in the lobby, so I can highly recommend Lost In Mountains or Xmas Edition both, for a fun,different gameplay from the H0Gs,especially if you enjoy adventure and quest type games.

Do yourself a favor and play the free trial at least.

Big Fish thank you so much for really having a good mix of game genres lately instead of just H0Gs.

Now if developers would create more H0Gs with different themes than the dark and dreary,like more lite (non-murder mysteries) alien stories,legends,conspiracy theories,fairytales,ect.

For all those who feel the same, but don't have either of the Great Adventures games in your collection,be sure to try. For $2.99 it is a great deal,and kids, or the kids in us especially will love it!

I also appreciate a DD thread,so thank you cleoladycat!!!

Edited on 08/22/2011 at 9:57:52 AM PST

[Post New]by doofenschmurtz on Aug 22, 11 6:01 AM
NavyMom90 wrote: I agree that this thread is a great service!
It doesn't matter who starts it, only that it IS started.
I often refer to this thread to help me to learn more about the game. This thread puts current reviews right out there for you from others who have already purchased and/or finished the game. A definite plus for me! Kudos!

I agree FINS UP to the good fishie who thunk it up.Thanks.Happy gaming Doof

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Aug 22, 11 6:25 AM
This was not a game for me. But I'm sure there are some who will enjoy it. I just found it to slow in movement and gameplay. But give it try for yourself. I think if you like this game, it's a great price at DD. Happy Gaming!

Edited on 08/22/2011 at 6:25:32 AM PST

JayTeeLine
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by JayTeeLine on Aug 22, 11 6:44 AM
Just finished the hour demo....got booted out. What I surprise, as I was so engrossed in the game that the hour flew past like a whiz.

I quite liked it once I got into it. Kept telling myself to 'just give it a chance' -- as it is such a change from most of the present day formats.

Very unusual that it kept my interest, and the price is worth the chance -- even if I get tired of it. I started out very clumsily as it took me a bit to catch on to the gameplay.

It is very cute, and imo worth the 2.99. I don't know if I have enough patience to play it longer than an hour at a time though. I guess I'll find out.

Since you control the hints, I hope I keep finding hint bones for the dog guide. He is the smartest character in the game and without his help I would have given up. Sweet little guy!!!!

Then I noticed a mysterious and earlier unseen female presence in the 'tower'; so I think the game will have a few more surprises.

I like the sims progress level (which can be little or none) as it adjusts to my slow playing abilities. woo hoo. It did take me back a few years to earlier type games, since the graphics are a bit awkward and stilted, but still enjoyable.

Since I need to fill a new card by the end of the month, this will most likely be a buy for me. I already blew this month by starting a new card with yesterday's DD. No regrets though, I am enjoying that game too.

Sorry if all this is old news, but having a DD thread gives me the opportunity to add my new 2 cents. Not sure my comments will help, but I appreciate feeling comfortable enough to add my opinion.

I agree with soblessed57 's suggestion of 'do yourself a favor and play the free trial at least'.

CirceMoon
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by CirceMoon on Aug 22, 11 6:51 AM
I agree; thank you for starting the DD thread! They are quite helpful. Can anyone comment about how similar this game is to Wandering Willows? I unfortunately don't have time to try this game today, but if it is similar to Wandering Willows I will go ahead and buy it, especially at the DD price. Thanks!

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Aug 22, 11 6:56 AM
Update.............I tried it for 12 minutes and I'm going to buy it

Strangely, because I don't often want anything labelled as an adventure game, I liked the feel of this one enough, even in that short time, that I am going to rejoin the GC so I can get it at DD price. (That means I get to try the TGT today too but I wouldn't have joined just for that). I wouldn't rejoin just for this if I didn't think I could also complete a punchcard this month to make the most of the membership, but I do have 2 purchases already, coupons/credits to use and a list of other possibles so I think I'll be OK.

It was the screenshots that got me interested enough to try it in the first place because it was clear that you get to see more than just the inside of one room. By dragging the screen around you see from above (with roofs removed) across the whole area. This really appealed to me because I get fed up of adventure games where you have to keep transferring from one area to another too much and to wait for the scene to shift each time.

Something else I like is that, if you want a character to cover a large distance, if you drag them they move there instantly, unlike some games where you have to wait for them to walk to where you want them. If you click them, then click where you want them, they walk there as normal and I usually prefer clicking to dragging so I was doing a mixture of both depending on the distances involved.

You can also click to speed up the dialogue as it is appearing - another big plus for me. Can you tell that I don't much like waiting around in games?

I have seen a thread on this forum suggesting that the game could be very short, but reviews on the main thread seem to suggest otherwise. I'm not going to worry about that, partly because I will take my time and not use many hints if possible & partly because that's what I always like best about the DD opportunities - being able to buy games that I would find too short to want to get at full price . ETA See 2 posts down, GoofyGran says a few hours

ETA CirceMoon - I didn't want to ignore your post just above mine but I haven't played enough of either game to be able to advise you. I would suggest just giving it a go but I see that you can't do that today. Maybe someone else will help later .

Edited on 08/22/2011 at 7:06:16 AM PST

[Post New]by doofenschmurtz on Aug 22, 11 6:57 AM
JayTeeLine
Good morning Excellent post I tried the game also and it is IMO a good buy.True it's older but the gameplay wasn't bad once I got going.I have to admit that the newer games with the sparkles and hint systems have spoiled me but you're right that dog is pretty smart and finding bones for it isn;t that hard.Another positive point to this thread is to get an updated perspective to a game because the other thread is old news. Happy gaming Doof

goofygran
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by goofygran on Aug 22, 11 7:00 AM
Just spent a happy few hours playing this game. Love the clear graphics and the helpful doggy. No clock to watch, no maniacal clicking, and no stress, just a fun relaxing little game. Saving this one for the grandchildren now.

JayTeeLine
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by JayTeeLine on Aug 22, 11 7:43 AM
doofenschmurtz wrote:JayTeeLine
Good morning Excellent post I tried the game also and it is IMO a good buy.True it's older but the gameplay wasn't bad once I got going.I have to admit that the newer games with the sparkles and hint systems have spoiled me but you're right that dog is pretty smart and finding bones for it isn;t that hard.Another positive point to this thread is to get an updated perspective to a game because the other thread is old news. Happy gaming Doof

Good morning back to you Doof,

You made me feel very good with your post. And now I will not hesitate about jumping more often into the threads.

Thank you so much for helping me to feel my opinion matters. You are very kind.

To CireceMoon, Wish I could assist you, but I haven't played Wandering Willows, I'm sorry.

Well, I'm off to buy the todays DD game.

The last 2 months have been excellent for for my DD and COTW 2.99 opportunities.

Happy gaming to you too Doof;
and to all the pond gamers.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Aug 22, 11 8:05 AM
CirceMoon wrote:I agree; thank you for starting the DD thread! They are quite helpful. Can anyone comment about how similar this game is to Wandering Willows? I unfortunately don't have time to try this game today, but if it is similar to Wandering Willows I will go ahead and buy it, especially at the DD price. Thanks!

Hi CirceMoon and WELCOME to the pond!

Since I also own and dearly love Wandering Willows I wanted to respond to your question about this game's similarity to WW. Unfortunately the request for suggestions for games that are similar to WW always receive the answer that "there is no game like Wandering Willows", and I have to say neither is this one.
I also really can't think of any games that are like Greatest Adventures " Lost In Mountains,except the Xmas Edition of it.

Please at least play the free trial to see how you like it. You may decide that it it a great deal at $2.99.

BTW Daisy_May thank you for the great gameplay tips,especially about dragging your characters to a spot gets them there faster since there are several other buildings to investigate,that is helpful to know.Also there is a walkthrough if anyone gets stuck and needs it.

Edited on 08/22/2011 at 8:12:16 AM PST

CirceMoon
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by CirceMoon on Aug 22, 11 8:10 AM
Thank you so much, sobledssed57 and everyone else who replied and posted their helpful reviews! Based on all of your comments, I will go ahead and buy this one (at 2.99, it's hard to beat!). I'd love to find another game like WW, but it seems like I will just have to keep searching. This one sounds fun, though, and that's really all that matters. Thanks again -- I greatly appreciate the replies! Happy gaming everyone!

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Aug 22, 11 8:23 AM
You are so very welcome! I hope you have a blast playing it.

I did forget that probably the game closest to WW in gameplay is The Island: Castaway. Be sure to try it.

Some others you might really enjoy, and want to try .....
Settlement: Colossus which is a quest-based H0G with eye-popping photo-quality H0 scenes
Forgotten Lands: First Colony
Jack Of All Tribes
Gemini Lost
(be sure to put game on pause when you exit,so actions do not continue even when not playing)
Royal Envoy
The Timebuilders Games
Totem Tribe

This thread has made me want to play my Great Adventures game again! Catch you all later.

Edited on 08/23/2011 at 10:19:16 AM PST

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Aug 22, 11 4:10 PM
I rely on the DD comments too, whoever starts them. Hey, I started one myself awhile back. If you don't like them, don't read them, there are more important things to get your knickers in a knot over.

I agree, it's not Wandering Willows, but what is? I played maybe 10 minutes of the trial and decided I'd probably buy it. I finished the hour and paid for it...I want more like this. Longer though please. For me, I don't think I would pay full price, but yeah, I got more than my 2.99 in fun! Lasted about 3 hours for me, with frequent interruptions. Probably would happily pay full price for it if it were longer. It is NOT a Time Management game, simple adventures. Most are easy, but there are enough tough ones to keep it interesting.

There are lots and lots of rooms to explore. I'm not sure how the replay value is, it seemed to be the same no matter what characters you choose. I did enjoy being able to choose different characters any way. Those who complain about too many dark games should love this one. In fact, this game is pretty much white bread, I don't remember any spiders, snakes, or other queasy making creatures. And hey, I didn't even have to find a stupidly inappropriate corkscrew! A+ And ok, it's sexist, the guy's a walking muscle and the woman is a weakling. It made it more fun once I figured out different characters could do different things.

The story line is simple, same old find your dad the missing scientist stuff, but who cares if you are having fun? And I did!

Now I'm off to try some of soblessed57's recommendations. Happy Fishing!

JayTeeLine
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by JayTeeLine on Aug 23, 11 8:18 AM
I'm into my second day of playing and so glad I took the chance and bought it. I have been seriously considering each and every DD and COTW, and will continue to do so.

Lady Dream, if you haven't tried Royal Envoy....go for it. Earlier this month I ended up buying the CE version, which a rarely do. Just shows you that we are never too old to learn the pleasure of new experiences......at least in gaming.

TT is still one of my favorites, and along with you I will be trying out soblessed57's other recommendations.

Thank you all for a very pleasant and valuable DD thread.

Go to: