bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Reviews for Around the World in Eighty Days: The Challenge

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Aug 23, 11 12:52 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Around the World in Eighty Days: The Challenge? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Re:Reviews for Around the World in Eighty Days: The Challenge

[Post New]by TeamSD on Aug 23, 11 2:14 AM
I didn't expect much when i know that this is HdO game but it does actually surprise me a bit because this is maybe the best HdO so far (didn't mean that it's a good game!).

Graphics are just average, puzzles are boring, bad interface, too many dialogue, annoying hints.... The story in this game is actually pretty good, really enjoy reading the blurb + HOG scenes are also quite good, not just junk piles!

Unfortunately, only the good story and un-junk piles HOG scenes are not good enough for me to buy it

Grades:

Graphics: C
Story: B
Music: D
Puzzles: D
HOG Scenes: B
Fun: D
Gameplay: D
Overall: D

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 23, 11 3:02 AM
I feel am a reasonably unbiased fishy as I have actually bought and really like at least one of HdO's games.

I approached this game in the hope it was an update of one of my beloved M3 games of similar name. That was not to be.

But, still I persisted in the download and demo play. I played the entire demo - which is a plus for the game, as I usually deep-six HdO games within the the first 15 minutes (remember Girl in the City? errgh).

This game is really not all that bad. Its really just a bunch of puzzles and H0 scenes strung together on the framework of the story from the book. There are nice looking graphics and hint stars for gathering.

There is really nothing very objectional in the gameplay or the presentation and I will be sorely tempted to buy this as a DD or on sale.

Edited on 08/23/2011 at 3:04:44 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Aug 23, 11 3:10 AM
jkuci wrote:I feel am a reasonably unbiased fishy as I have actually bought and really like at least one of HdO's games.

I approached this game in the hope it was an update of one of my beloved M3 games of similar name. That was not to be.

But, still I persisted in the download and demo play. I played the entire demo - which is a plus for the game, as I usually deep-six HdO games within the the first 15 minutes (remember Girl in the City? errgh).

This game is really not all that bad. Its really just a bunch of puzzles and H0 scenes strung together on the framework of the story from the book. There are nice looking graphics and hint stars for gathering.

There is really nothing very objectional in the gameplay or the presentation and I will be sorely tempted to buy this as a DD or on sale.

Some people find having to move the screen from side to side makes them nauseous and I just felt that they should be warned about having to do this in this game in order to find some of the hidden objects.

Cherb

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 23, 11 3:15 AM
Thanks Cherb, I should have said:

"There is really nothing very objectional in the gameplay to me."

RyeMcLaughlin
Stingray
Stingray
4,659 Posts

[Post New]by RyeMcLaughlin on Aug 23, 11 3:25 AM
When I saw the title, I thought that it was a sequel to one of my favorite Match 3 games. I was very disappointed that I was wrong. However, it's not horrible. The storyline is good. I don't mind lots of dialogue. The graphics aren't bad and the HOG scene objects are appropriate for time and place (for the most part). The time limits on the HOG scenes are very short and the silhouettes are a bit vague, so I had to play that type a couple of times to get everything. The HOG scenes are the same each time.

It's a DD only game for me, but that's a big step up (at least for me ) for an HdO game.

[Post New]by heatherington on Aug 23, 11 5:35 AM
I saw HdO and immediately uninstalled. I knew it was too good to be true that we should be allowed to have an SE.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Aug 23, 11 5:50 AM
I played the entire demo and it was very relaxing, no challenge or frustration. I will add this to my DD folder, since it isn't up to the standards of the many SE games I have purchased. Was really hoping for a great SE game today, guess I will have to replay something.

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Aug 23, 11 6:17 AM
I love hidden object games so was looking forward to this when I saw it listed today. But to me it looks like a game made a few years ago. The graphics remind me somewhat of Hidden Mysteries: Civil War with items difficult to see. But I'd rather replay Hidden Expedition Amazon or one of the others I have than this. This is a no buy for me even as a DD. I guess I've been spoiled by the games I've purchased here and want and expect better.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Aug 23, 11 6:33 AM
I almost always check for Comments and Reviews b4 trying a game, just to get a feel for what's offered. That said, I still make up my own mind. So I knew going in that the TGT was from HdO. Never having tried one of theirs, I wanted to see what all the brouhaha was about.

I played 29 minutes of the demo, which D/L'd in record time--guess the BFG servers aren't too busy this morning! While this game is certainly not a cherry, I wouldn't call it a lemon either. The Options menu is the most bleak that I've ever seen--tight budget for choices, I suppose. The storyline is what you'd expect from the title, except it doesn't hold a candle to the David Niven movie.

Be forewarned, anybody with motion-sickness tendencies--some of the H0 scenes scroll left and right. The gameplay interface is WAY clunky, stuck over on the left-hand margin. The items to find range from the "laundry list" to "15 of (these)." None too difficult. Hints are limited, but by finding a star every now and then, you can gain an extra hint. The first "jigsaw" puzzle I came across was jokingly easy. Subtitled dialogue (what? you were expecting voice acting from this group?) is wordy, but not overbearing. All the graphics seemed fuzzy to me--not real high-caliber artwork. Sound FX (if you can call them that) are Spartan, at best.

I suspect this is HdO's best effort yet, but they've got a ways to go.

(P.S. I respectfully disagree with the WARNING thread title--a WARNING implies a threat of bodily harm or at least some kind of disastrous results--perhaps HEADS UP would be better)

Edited on 08/23/2011 at 6:41:28 AM PST

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Aug 23, 11 6:40 AM
I'm impressed with the people who managed to play more than 5 minutes of this and stay awake. What a waste of time. And on what planet is the wiggly intro screen popular? Makes me nauseous and serves absolutely no purpose at all except to show us how clever the developers are.

Macazzar
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Macazzar on Aug 23, 11 6:41 AM
Horrible horrible dialogue and storyline. I personally find the graphics appealing. The screen movement which doesn't always bother me just seemed uneccessary here. ****'s weren't hard to find. All in all though just wasn't any FUN. Deleted after 15 mins and wouldn't spend money on it even as a DD.

minkmoo
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by minkmoo on Aug 23, 11 7:44 AM
A NO buy for me. Don't like moving screens and there is way too much conversation.

Linda_S_55
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by Linda_S_55 on Aug 23, 11 7:44 AM
I DON'T BELIEVE MY LUCK. I can't get a break. I wanted so much to be able to buy this game and use one of my expiring punch card credits and what does BFG do? They release a Hdo game.

Oh well, there's always tomorrow.
Linda.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 23, 11 9:28 AM
Macazzar wrote:Horrible horrible dialogue and storyline. I personally find the graphics appealing. The screen movement which doesn't always bother me just seemed uneccessary here. ****'s weren't hard to find. All in all though just wasn't any FUN. Deleted after 15 mins and wouldn't spend money on it even as a DD.

Actually, the dialogue is pretty much right out of the original book by Jules Verne first published in 1873 which might account to why the dialogue seems a bit strange today.

PS. I like the scrolling screens...there aren't enough of them in this game IMHO

Edited on 08/23/2011 at 9:30:22 AM PST

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Aug 23, 11 9:31 AM
I try to evaluate every game with an open mind so even though this is a HdO game, I tried to honestly find some good in it. I was pleasantly surprised at first. The objects weren't that difficult to find, the storyline of course is interesting based on the novel of the same name, and the mingames were interesting with little twists to them.

I was even beginning to think I would actually purchase a HdO game when I hit the minigame where you have to find the matching cards. I spent a good 15 minutes on it until I finally gave up. The hints do not replenish until you go to a new section and you can not skip any of the minigames. Those two things factor in the greatest reasons why I will not purchase this game, which is a shame. This one is a lot better than the other HdO games that have shown up here on BF, but it still doesn't hit the mark. So, kudos to the developers for trying to improve their games, but again, improvement can still be made to make the games playable.

Just wanted to add in another irritant in this game. If you are in a minigame, you can not exit the game. There are no buttons to exit on the screen. Pressing "escape" on your keyboard also will not work. I had to "Ctrl Alt Delete" to get out of the game.

Edited on 08/23/2011 at 9:38:56 AM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 23, 11 9:56 AM
This is one of HdO's better games. It is still a no buy for me because I am tired of all the decent SE games being released as CE's. IF this trend continues, I will probably use up my coupons and check out other game companies.

suesay
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by suesay on Aug 23, 11 10:41 AM
COMPLETELY agree with Old_Man_River

Seriously BFG, collector's editions 99% of the time. Doesn't make the benefit of getting game club punch card credits seem, well, beneficial - does it?

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Aug 23, 11 11:07 AM
I am afraid that seeing it was a HdO was far enough for me, I have never liked anything that they put out and I knew this wouldn't work for me anyway. That being said, why don't we get any good SE games anymore?? As mentioned by others, getting all the extra credits for all the CE games doesn't mean a thing if we don't get any games to use them on. I have 6 credits right now that are just sitting there taunting me.

Help, , please give us some viable options.

Joy

[Post New]by Barbarabarb on Aug 23, 11 1:36 PM
I may be in the minority here, but I really liked, and bought, this one. I think they also did Alice in Wonderland, which I also bought. I really enjoyed the games, once you get the hand of them they are fun

Go to: