bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Reviews for Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 25, 11 12:25 AM
Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Edited on 08/25/2011 at 2:26:37 PM PST

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Re:Review for Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom Collector's Edition

[Post New]by TeamSD on Aug 25, 11 12:58 AM
Awakening is my all time favorite series!!! Bought it without try

In my own opinion, i've found this one a bit harder than the previous two, which is great! Graphics are very beautiful, clear and stunning! Music and effects are also great. There're lots and lots of fun puzzles in the game, love them all (they're not repetitive like in the previous ones) Very few HOG scenes, which i love and super cute dragon and owl! There're voice overs in the cut scenes and those two cute animals are not annoying like the fairy in Isabella! Loved it Loved it Loved it - FANTASTIC sequel for the FANTASTIC series!

I've already finished the game, it took me around 4 hours or more to complete the main game without skipping any puzzles and another 1 hour on the Bonus Chapter. Definitely worth the CE price!

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Story: A
Music: A*
Puzzles: A*
HOG Scenes: A
Fun: A*
Gameplay: A*
Overall: A*

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Edited on 08/27/2011 at 7:22:52 PM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 25, 11 1:04 AM
I love this game! It's beautiful again. Lot of puzzles to do. And I am very happy that the little pocketdragon is back. He is so cute!

I am going to buy this game.

Thanks BoomZap and BF!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Aug 25, 11 1:17 AM
Well, I for one am disappointed that the graphics and text are still very grainy on my laptop. I was prepared to put up with it when the game was a SE, but thought the devs would have taken the time to change their resolutions etc for this version seeing as how it is a CE.
JMHO.
Cheers

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Aug 25, 11 1:25 AM
I am not impressed. There are way to many puzzles, and not enough HOG for my taste. I also think the graphics are grainy. After playing Sonia, and seeing those beautiful graphics, this game just does not compare. I don't think it is worth $13.99. I sure hope this is a 2 CE week.

Edited on 08/25/2011 at 1:28:44 AM PST

RasmusB
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by RasmusB on Aug 25, 11 1:25 AM
The graini thing seems to happen on Geforce cards. I have many games from big fish, which on my labtop, has Ati gfx, has no graini bits. But on my Nividia gfx has graini bits.

Edited on 08/25/2011 at 1:26:14 AM PST

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Aug 25, 11 1:26 AM
Love this series of games and of course I will be purchasing another CE. I love the growl they added to the pocket dragon and the owl's sense of humor. Looks like fun to me. I played almost the entire demo and I wasn't disappointed in anything. The graphics were sharp and clear. I didn't have any technical issues and I was enchanted by everything. No vampires or ghosties popping out at me. lol

Happy gaming everyone!!

Joy

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Aug 25, 11 1:44 AM
i betaed this one in last days of march and was not impressed and not so interested:so i notice"not as CE " and i 'll wait until SE because when i played again this demo,i make up my mind definitively:not a CE

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Aug 25, 11 1:53 AM
This game was okay. A bit too many mini games for my taste. It seemed like there was one every move you made and some of them were confusing. At least there were quick skip buttons and no penalties for skipping them. Another demo which ended when the 60 mins. wasn't up yet. Coming across that more and more lately. Have meant to point that out but always forget. That kind of irks me. You are given 60 mins. of free game time , you should get it. Why are all the developers doing that now? (Just had to get that off my chest.....) I would rate this a 7 out of 10.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 25, 11 1:57 AM
sunidayz wrote:This game was okay. A bit too many mini games for my taste. It seemed like there was one every move you made and some of them were confusing. At least there were quick skip buttons and no penalties for skipping them. Another demo which ended when the 60 mins. wasn't up yet. Coming across that more and more lately. Have meant to point that out but always forget. That kind of irks me. You are given 60 mins. of free game time , you should get it. Why are all the developers doing that now? (Just had to get that off my chest.....) I would rate this a 7 out of 10.
You don't get 60 min. It's a trial.

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Aug 25, 11 1:58 AM
I so love this series! I bought it without even trying it, I hope I won't be dissapointed at the CE.

The fact that it is a CE is a little dissapointing, because the first two were just SE's and they were great!

But........I just couldn't wait for the SE

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Aug 25, 11 2:42 AM
I this game and this whole series and I was having fun until HMV interrupted play and insisted I get on with today's chores, spoilsport .

The graphics are wonderful on my computer but there again I too am using an ATI card and I will be sticking with ATI when I buy my next computer. The continuing story is good and I left my speakers on the whole time .

I also love the fact that there isn't a H0 scene at every turn as they get boring when you have to do one for every single item that you need to use to progress to the next section of the game.

All the puzzles I have come across so far were good ... and I even did the Spot The Difference one at the start without becoming frustrated and cursing all those type puzzles. So far I haven't had to skip any of them, ask for a hint or even peek at the SG ... I assume that there is one. In the meantime I am keeping my fins crossed that the game is a long one and also has a good length bonus play to justify my spending the extra money and buying the CE instead of the SE.

Great game so far BoomZap and thanks for keeping the cute pocket dragon.

Cherb

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by Poem123 on Aug 25, 11 3:05 AM
This game sounds like my cup of tea except I'm reluctant to purchase another CE this month. Could someone who has played all the way through provide a review of the bonus play and whether it's a must-have?

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Aug 25, 11 3:05 AM
Beautiful graphics, for sure, but not enough Hidden Object Scenes, not a puzzle lover at all...won't be buying unfortunately....to those who love the game, enjoy!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 25, 11 3:10 AM
My NVidia GEForce card likes the game fine... go figure. Another cute game in the series... I am glad I have my little dragon again. The handy little devil. I hope this isn't the last game in the series but we will see. Enjoy the game everyone!

[Post New]by greeneyes488 on Aug 25, 11 3:26 AM
Im not a puzzle lover but I just cant pass this one up!.Done the 2nd one.what was the 1st one? Anyone know...Id like to do it too.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 25, 11 3:29 AM
This is a really good sequel to the Awakening series. I think, if you liked the previous games in the series, you should like this game too. For me its a definete buy as the CE

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 25, 11 3:31 AM

I played the demo but came to the same conclusion I did for the other 2 Awakening games: not my cuppa.

I bought the first Awakening but was sorry for it.

The games are just a bunch of minigames and puzzles without even much of a story to string them together. Graphics were not grainy but were forgettable. Music was very nice. Not much in the way of voice overs after the first scenes.

The 2 animal companians were a nice touch (a purring dragon baby?) but really didn't add enough to meet the "charming" bar.

All who enjoy: Happy Gaming!

Edited on 08/25/2011 at 3:33:20 AM PST

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Aug 25, 11 3:48 AM
Another pretty game in this series. I liked that first puzzle with the telescope. I"m sure it's difficult to come up with anything different, and that was nice. The puzzles are generally quite easy, and I'm not having a bit of trouble coping using the "normal" setting. I haven't quite finished the demo yet, and am trying to decide if I want to go for the CE or wait for the SE to come out. I was perfectly happy with the SEs for the first two games in the series, but I'm very tempted by this one in the CE version. Soft background music, lovely graphics, very "fairy tale" feeling. Sweet game.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Aug 25, 11 5:18 AM
This is just a preliminary review based on the demo version. I did purchase and will start the play over and do a full review. However, I wanted to take time to relate some of the features in this game that demonstrate how much the developer listened to people who left feedback in the forums for Awakening: Moonfell Woods.

Player Modes: Normal and Casual. Normal mode gives no guidance, meaning there are no sparkles (well, except a few in hidden object scenes). The owl does give a nudge, but only if you click on something. (Perhaps in future games, you can have the option to NOT pick up the owl - LOL). You can still use hint and skip buttons if you choose to do so. Casual mode gives you guidance, but you can opt when you want it, so you're not spoon fed everything all the time. There's a little question mark that you can push to get extra help when you want it. So people buying the SE will surely love this.

Puzzles: The puzzles are very diverse and non-repeating - it's wonderful! BoomZap loves puzzles (so do I!) and this game has a great assortment, including tangrams (I'm particularly fond of tangrams ). Thus far, none have been so hard as to make me want to scream, but I have enjoyed working them.

The Strategy Guide is fully accessible by pressing the Menu button in the lower left corner. The game pauses, but you don't have to leave the game to access it. It does bookmark the last page used. There are also achievements to be earned. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous, the soundtrack is so enchanting and adds enjoyment to the gameplay.

All in all, a mesmerizing experience. Gotta go now and play the game for real!

Go to: