Length of game?

merry49
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

Length of game?

[Post New]by merry49 on Aug 25, 11 6:16 PM
I had just typed in the station code to put in the message tube when the free trial was over (playing in normal mode); has anyone finished yet who can tell me how long the game is? I'm enjoying the game overall, but if I'm already halfway through it's a no-buy for me.

dvdiva
Clownfish
Clownfish
911 Posts

Re:Length of game?

[Post New]by dvdiva on Aug 25, 11 6:39 PM
You got to nearly the end of Chapter 1.

There are 4 chapters in the main game + 1 chapter in the Epilogue.

The length of the game depends on your playing style e.g. if you're a fast clicker or if you take time to explore leisurely.

If you don't skip any puzzles (there's an achievement for that!), and if you read everything, you'll most likely get more playing time out of it!

[Post New]by WebsiteBoomzap on Aug 25, 11 8:35 PM
I'd like to chime in on the many game length questions - and this seems an appropriate thread to do so.

Our testing shows that The Goblin Kingdom is of a comparative length to Moonfell Wood in the first 4 chapters, and then has an extra chapter worth of content in the CE chapter.

As many will tell you, though - the Awakening series is a subgame-rich franchise, and if you skip many of the subgames, your playtime will be (obviously) shorter. Also - if you're hitting the strategy guide pretty hard, and getting lots of hints, this will also shorten your play time. Different people like to play different ways (which is great!), and this produces some very different results when you ask "how long is this game" - so we're not surprised to see some discussion on this topic.

Sadly, we can't say "This game is X hours long" - since that answer will be very different for many different people. What I can say is that I played it personally the day before we released it, and it took me about 5 hours to complete with the bonus content included - that's playing all the subgames, and reading the text. But that's me - I obviously know the game pretty well. Also - I usually have my 7-year-old daughter in my lap when I do a final playthrough, and she is a super-whiz at the HiddenObject sections. Your time may vary. We've seen people in testing be able to finish in 1/2 that time - and others took twice that time or more. Depends on how you play.

Certainly, a small game studio making games that sell for the costs these do can't hope to make a game that can compete with a game like Oblivion or World of Warcraft in terms of total play time - though we wish we could! But we do our best to make sure that we make each of our games a good value for our customers in terms of the amount of content we offer - not only in the quantity, but in the overall quality.

Thank you again for playing our games, and supporting small independent developers like us!

____
Chris Natsuume - Boomzap

[Post New]by midnightmoose on Aug 25, 11 8:49 PM
Thanks, Chris. It's always nice to see developers in these forums! I wish I could answer about my personal time, but unfortunately don't have funds for a collector's edition. But I will buy the SE when it comes out! From my demo, it looks like another wonderful game in the series!

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Aug 25, 11 9:05 PM
hi chris, nice to see devs in the forums, and i love your games....to me..an average player, a ce of 4-6 hours is decent.......some recent other ..book of air or water for example...that with the demo was 2-3 hours total..was not...

you are quickly becoming my fave devs..not just because of enjoyable games...but a decent length....off to buy now

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 25, 11 9:09 PM
Hi Chris,

Thanks for being here. I love the Awakening series and this is a buy for me. I'm also hoping to see another Dana Knightstone game this year; I enjoyed Death at Fairing Point so much that I have played the game twice.

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Aug 26, 11 7:19 AM
Howatch wrote:Hi Chris,

Thanks for being here. I love the Awakening series and this is a buy for me. I'm also hoping to see another Dana Knightstone game this year; I enjoyed Death at Fairing Point so much that I have played the game twice.

I loved Dana too and luckily Death Under Tuscan Skies: A Dana Knightstone Novel CE??? will be release this year and i hope Garden spirits from Boomzap will also be release this year!

jsfurman
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by jsfurman on Aug 26, 11 11:19 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts from teh developer side Chris. Sometimes we can expect so much for a $7 game that we forget how much work it takes to make it.
I enjoyed the first chapter (demo) and will definately buy it.
Nice job to all the designers! Keep 'em coming!

[Post New]by hjcbc1 on Aug 26, 11 11:41 AM
WebsiteBoomzap wrote:I'd like to chime in on the many game length questions - and this seems an appropriate thread to do so.

Our testing shows that The Goblin Kingdom is of a comparative length to Moonfell Wood in the first 4 chapters, and then has an extra chapter worth of content in the CE chapter.

As many will tell you, though - the Awakening series is a subgame-rich franchise, and if you skip many of the subgames, your playtime will be (obviously) shorter. Also - if you're hitting the strategy guide pretty hard, and getting lots of hints, this will also shorten your play time. Different people like to play different ways (which is great!), and this produces some very different results when you ask "how long is this game" - so we're not surprised to see some discussion on this topic.

Sadly, we can't say "This game is X hours long" - since that answer will be very different for many different people. What I can say is that I played it personally the day before we released it, and it took me about 5 hours to complete with the bonus content included - that's playing all the subgames, and reading the text. But that's me - I obviously know the game pretty well. Also - I usually have my 7-year-old daughter in my lap when I do a final playthrough, and she is a super-whiz at the HiddenObject sections. Your time may vary. We've seen people in testing be able to finish in 1/2 that time - and others took twice that time or more. Depends on how you play.

Certainly, a small game studio making games that sell for the costs these do can't hope to make a game that can compete with a game like Oblivion or World of Warcraft in terms of total play time - though we wish we could! But we do our best to make sure that we make each of our games a good value for our customers in terms of the amount of content we offer - not only in the quantity, but in the overall quality.

Thank you again for playing our games, and supporting small independent developers like us!

____
Chris Natsuume - Boomzap

[Post New]by hjcbc1 on Aug 26, 11 11:48 AM
I see that you test theses games so you must know some about they work. I have been getting. Error: Access violation at 0x032DEFAE ( tried to write to 0x00000000), program terminated. I have ask big fish about it and never got the problem solved if you could help Im at hjcbc@aol.com

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Aug 26, 11 12:22 PM
Why ask about the length just enjoy the game. If you need to know the how long then look at the walkthrough to see how many chapters & scene and then you will know about how long.

[Post New]by RainbowExplorer on Aug 27, 11 1:58 AM
VTCT wrote:Why ask about the length just enjoy the game. If you need to know the how long then look at the walkthrough to see how many chapters & scene and then you will know about how long.

I SO agree with your position and find the questions about "length of play" to be annoying. Most everyone who has played a variety of computer games knows that each game plays differently, depending upon one's skill level, in various areas, as well as, the number of various HOGS, mini-games, dialogue scenes, cutscenes, etc. No two players will EVER play the same game EXACTLY the same way or in the same amount of time.

I'm a "stop and smell the roses" kind of player, who wants to understand and take in the whole story, the setting, and the characters, in every game I play. I'm not trying to break any records for speed, nor do I want to play games where the game developers have just thrown in a bunch of "filler fluff", to extend the game's length, rather than add to the storyline or quality of the game, overall. I can usually tell if a game's designers decided to include a set # of HOGS, minigames, etc., BEFORE even deciding what the story was going to be about.

In those cases, there will, inevitably be a bunch of unrelated, boring tasks/mini-games/HOGS that don't add anything to the story and that are purely repetitious - with little thought or effort put into them, as they are strictly "empty filler material", rather than critical content. I usually struggle to finish those kinds of games, as I'm bored out of my mind. Once that game is over, I never take it out to play, again!

So, mostly I'm trying to say that QUALITY does not equal QUANTITY, whether it's with computer games, books, movies, or much of anything else, in life. For me, games take between 3 - 50 hours, apiece, to complete, so telling you how long it took ME to finish a game, doesn't provide anyone with any meaningful information, IMHO.

Just my two cents...

Rainbow

Edited on 08/27/2011 at 2:13:54 AM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Aug 27, 11 2:08 AM
Hi Chris of WebsiteBoomZap,
Seeing as how you have popped in here, I would like to add the suggestion that please do not repeat the same type of puzzles over and over again in your next game. Ok, the complexity is greater each time we encounter them, but re-doing the same sort of task is frankly boring (and adds to the length of the game in, for me at least, a non-useful manner!!).
Please have lots of DIFFERENT puzzles in the future.
Cheers

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 27, 11 4:06 AM
It's took me 7 hours to play. And I have a lot of puzzles skipped. This game is a long one.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Aug 27, 11 12:40 PM
Hi Chris,
OMG...I just played the demo of your game ..and it is exactly the type of game that I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, it is PERFECTION in MHO!!!!
LOVE the story, graphics are beautiful, LOVE my pocket dragon and owl, Sooo CUTE, lots of puzzles, mini's, what more could one want, it has everything I absolutely want, in a game .
I don't purchase a lot of CE's, due to funds and most are not worth the extra cost, the bonus content, is the only reason I break that rule, and from the quality I found in the demo, I feel it is worth the CE price, to be able to play the bonus content, in this one.
I was so disappointed when my demo ended, I was so into this GREAT game, and transported into a fantasy land, that I never wanted to leave, so I don't care how long the game is ( wich is unusual for me )..because the quality of this gem, makes it well worth, every penny spent.
KUDO's to you, Chris and everyone involved, in making this AWESOME gem, you might be a small company, but your talent is HUGE, and I for one, am a BIG fan!!
I own a ton of games, and this one ranks, as one of my top favorites to play, it gets and a !!
Being a computer gaming addict, there is nothing better than the thrill you get, when you find a game, that you just LOVE playing, and this one gave me that excitement, and thrill..THANK YOU for all of your hard work .
You all are some talented developers..IMHO and deserve a spot, at the TOP, I will buy every game, your development team produces, so keep them coming please!
Now off to purchase and play...YIPEE

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Aug 27, 11 3:56 PM
This goes into my top 10 of favorite games. Length? took me 6 hrs for the regular game and I'm headed off to the epilogue now. Enjoy

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Aug 28, 11 11:19 AM
Just finished the epilogue. It took me 5 1/2 hours and I skipped 2 puzzles. Next time I play, I'll also skip grooming the unicorn...but that's another post. I'm happy with 5 1/2 hours.

[Post New]by WebsiteBoomzap on Aug 28, 11 6:46 PM
Another point of reference for people looking for "How long is this game?" - a very reputable, independent reviewer just posted a (very nice) review of the game on their site, and said it was ~5 hours to play through. They are skilled testers, and have played a lot of these games, so I would expect their time to be similar to many of the experienced users who tend to post in these forums.

Again - it will vary by person, but maybe that's more helpful info for you.

(PS: I'd post the link to the review, but BFG prefers we don't post links in their forums. )

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Aug 29, 11 4:52 PM
Well thank you Chris for telling us about the length. I for one do look at quantity and quality before I buy a game.

So far this series has had both and this game looks to continue these important components to a game.

Thank you for answering and also, for giving a good quality and quantity game experience.

[Post New]by nosmo99_us on Aug 29, 11 6:24 PM
this game was way too short to be considered a CE

Go to: