bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Reviews for The Secrets of Arcelia Island

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 27, 11 12:29 AM
Hey Fishies!

What do you think of The Secrets of Arcelia Island ? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Edited on 08/31/2011 at 3:01:02 PM PST

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Re:Review for The Secrets of Arcelia Island

[Post New]by TeamSD on Aug 27, 11 12:53 AM
So Mudrock's predictions this week are all released, thanks Mudrock

Another good SE HOG, graphics are good - not the best but pretty good. HOG scenes are clear and easy, music are appropriate and the gameplay itself is also great! Story is somewhat uninteresting and not unique, shipwreck and a cursed island - isn't that sounds familiar??? Puzzles are also boring for me. The game starts off a bit boring but it actually did getting better and better! Yes, I've purchased it and I'm glad I did cuz I really enjoyed it

I think many people will enjoy this one but since i've just finished Awakening 3 CE and when i compare these two games together, Awakening 3 is much much better!

Grades:

Graphics: A
Story: C
Music: B
Puzzles: A
HOG Scenes: A
Fun: A
Gameplay: B
Overall: A

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Edited on 09/01/2011 at 6:27:23 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 27, 11 1:17 AM
I like the game. It's different, because you are in the real world and than you are in fairyland. There is a lot to do. Puzzles are not to easy.
It's a buy for me!

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Aug 27, 11 2:31 AM
I liked this game and said a bad word when I got to the end of the demo! lol The graphics were good, the music, no voice overs - so what?, the ****'s and mini games were fairly easy to follow along with the whole game. I think I will make it the last game for my punch card this month. I'd rate it a 9 out of 10.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Aug 27, 11 2:39 AM
I have bought this game too although I was extremely annoyed at having the internet opened for me at the download page just because I clicked on exit the game . If I want to open the internet I will do so, if I want to buy the game I will do so and I will NOT be pressured by BFG or any game developers to buy and if this keeps happening I will not only be buying my games from elsewhere but I will refuse to buy any games that does this no matter how good the game .

This game is more of a HOPA than a HOG in my opinion and, while the story is not unique it is still an acceptable one to me. I would like to comment on one bit though and that is that one of the first things you have to do is find your father's backpack and when you do you only take 2 items and you can't pick up the emergency food rations, matches, a first aid kit, a rope or a water bottle ... nobody in their right minds would leave them behind while exploring a cursed island now would they .

There are 42 Story Pages comprising of scraps of paper which you find in each scene and which then have to fit jigsaw wise onto each page and I have only completed 1 page so far so I am hoping this is going to be a good length game.

The graphics are good and the objects in the H0 scenes are clear to see and I am very pleased that it doesn't appear to be HOG heavy so far plus I wasn't aware of any sparkles although there is a black mist. All in all it seems like a game I will enjoy playing.

Cherb

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Aug 27, 11 3:03 AM
Dunnoo. Played 30 minutes of the demo and it seems this games leaves things to be desired. Like a smoothly running cursor for instance. And smoothly going from scene to scene.

Furthermore I'm getting a little tired of places cursed, for whatever reason, by evil witches. Couldn't they have come up with something different?

And last I find the handholding while playing advanced mode irritating. I'm still receiving too many tips.

I'm in serious doubt whether or not this game's worth to buy.

CasualGran

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Aug 27, 11 3:09 AM
Well I liked the graphics, the moderate amount of hidden object scenes, and the no voice overs. I too agree with Cherb that I do not need for anyone to direct me on my own computer. If I want to shut it down or go to big fish to buy well that's MY decision and my decision alone. Plus it is SOO slow and gives me an error each and every time.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Aug 27, 11 3:37 AM
I like this game: interesting mix of reality and fiction, and - comparing to yesterday's "puzzle swamp" (sorry, TeamSD and puzzle fans ) - it's a refreshing combination of all parameters: Adventure, HOG and puzzle. Bought of course.

Lovely graphics, fast recharge of the hint button, and quite a lot help when you hit the hint button, when you are stuck - you get the location where you have to go. With this help I can enjoy, and don't have to go in circles.

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Aug 27, 11 5:10 AM
At first I was not sure about this game, but I did get drawn into it. However, after looking at the WT this could be a short game. I will not buy games that are short.

I rate this game a 4 out of 5, but length with determine for me.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Aug 27, 11 7:06 AM
I really enjoyed the demo for this but had a lot of questions They are now answered.
I agree with Casualgran. There have been to many games with cursed towns or missing people. That said, it is a fun story line. I also agree that though this was fun to play there is some elements missing that I can't seem to put my finger on.

The graphics were a bit blurry for me but they were cute. Loved the little fairies I seem to block the music out so I never give an opinion there.

The Hidden Object scenes are on the easy side. The mini games are actually to easy for my liking. They can be skipped and the hint refills very fast.
If you are stuck and don't know what to do next this game has an excellent hint system for that.
Now for the DEAL BREAKER! I played just shy of half during the hour demo. I won't even waste a coupon for that short of a game. That's a shame to because I have been waiting for an SE worth playing.

I give this 1/2 out of 5. Would have been a 4 but for the length.

Edited on 08/27/2011 at 7:08:58 AM PST

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Aug 27, 11 7:12 AM
Enjoyed the game until I got to the fairy forest. Then it turned into a bunch of just too much cuteness, not to mention maybe having to cook up a potion??
Sorry, but it is a no buy for me.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Aug 27, 11 7:16 AM
LOVED this game! Don't have a single negative thing to say. Every aspect of it was great. So sorry it's over. Please, more of the same!!!

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 27, 11 8:11 AM
I finished the game and I enjoyed very much! Different puzzles, nice to do. I think I played for 4 hours. So, this one is good.

userfree
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by userfree on Aug 27, 11 8:30 AM
Wow, a non CE worth buying; found the **** scenes quite easy, graphics pretty good, all around good SE. Have several credits and finally found something worth spending them on. Yes it's more of the same with sparkles and witch's curses, etc. but I personally like that sort. If you do, this ones for you too.

[Post New]by putter1956 on Aug 27, 11 8:40 AM
love love love this game---would like more of these!!!!

[Post New]by putter1956 on Aug 27, 11 8:40 AM

[Post New]by putter1956 on Aug 27, 11 8:41 AM

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Aug 27, 11 8:57 AM
I think this game is terrific! I love the fairy world and the grahics seems wonderful to me. Story line is good and Hidden Object scenes are hard enough to make things interesting.

I would buy now but I'm almost out of money this month. And next week, will be a new month. There is no problems at all with this game I find and to me, it's fun, different and relaxing. Far cry from some of the other most difficult games that at times gives me a headache. MHO.

Good game and a buy for me!

from OKC

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on Aug 27, 11 9:12 AM
Im with you today Rebecca-Lily this is a treat compared to yesterdays, you put it well Puzzle Swamp. I will probably never finish that game til Xmas. I like todays game it is relaxing. Not having a SG readily at hand I have to work out what I have to do and I kind of like that too. Nice little adventure so far, just the right amount of everything, Hog scenes, puzzles and adventrue. I like the graphics and having no problem with cursor when moving from scene to scene. I realize there is a Walkthru but Im reluctant to go in and out of game to use it, makes the game last longer. I also like the fact that it has widescreen option whoppee and an item Hog instead of FROG, altho the FROGs lately have become quite imaginative and I dont mind them so much anymore. Thanks Big Fish for a nice Saturday Game. I wonder if we will still have CE Sunday this week. If so, I am going to be stone broke.

rugrats299
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by rugrats299 on Aug 27, 11 10:19 AM
I love this came am not finished yet but been playing for awhile now and I don't think I am close to being done I will check back when finished Trying to figure what CES to purchase have them all really except for Drawn and Dana kinstong and a few other I an wondering if I should wait to see what TGT is gonna be cause we know its a CE just don't remember what Modrock sayed so I guess I will just watch the timers for the TGT

Edited on 08/27/2011 at 11:31:50 AM PST

Go to: