cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 27 August 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Aug 27, 11 1:49 AM
Any comments fishes?
The only Nancy Drew game I have, but have enjoyed playing it,I can't say how long it is as I tend to play a little at a time but well worth trying especially at this price.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:Todays DD 27 August 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Aug 27, 11 2:01 AM
Hi there,
The Nancy Drew Dossier games are H0/Adventure versions and not purely LFG like the others - there is a trial DL!!
I myself found them very enjoyable to play (less frustration and fewer grey hairs - though I do enjoy fumbling through the more "purist" adventure mode of Nancy Drew).
There are some tricky puzzles to solve - and some of the objects you need are very small or very cleverly hidden.
Good fun and enjoyable at this price.
As usual I suggest you trial this game and assess its value according to your own interests.
Cheers

Edited on 08/27/2011 at 2:12:32 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Aug 27, 11 2:07 AM
I enjoy large file games. And this is a good one. Especially for people who don't like LFG. This one is alot easier and helps you through if you need it. They give you the option to turn off sparkles,widescreen,good voiceovers,cutscenes. Overall this is a good game and I think worth a try for sure. It's a buy for me. I'm really enjoying it. Very good quality. If your not a fan of LFG at least try this one. I think you'll be surprised. Enjoy!

I rate this game: "PIGLET"

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Aug 27, 11 2:25 AM
I don't have time to demo this as am leaving to go on holiday in an hour (should be packing!) so have just bought it sight unseen... hope I like it when I return... can't really lose out at £2.30

sandhan
Clownfish
Clownfish
919 Posts

[Post New]by sandhan on Aug 27, 11 2:31 AM
I'm enjoying the trial of this game, and thinking of buying it, even though I
already have 2 full punch cards this month, and thought I was done. (Ha!)
I haven't played any other Nancy Drew games--the last one looked interesting,
but didn't offer a demo. So this one is by a different developer? In what ways
are they different? And what is LFG? Low-flying geese? Legally flatulant
geriatrics?

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Aug 27, 11 2:39 AM
Sandhan,

LFG means Large File Game. This game has Hog scenes and most LFG don't. This game offers alot of help and is easier than most LFG. Large File Games are alot more challenging than hogs,frogs,Ihogs. This game is alot of fun and very interesting.

LFG = Large File Game
HOG = Hidden Object Game
IFrog = Interactive Fractured Object Game
IHogs = Interactive Hidden Object Games

I hope this helps,
Happy Gaming!

Edited on 08/27/2011 at 2:46:12 AM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Aug 27, 11 2:46 AM
Hi Sandhan,
This game is different to the other Nancy Drew games in that it has Hidden Object scenes and is not a pure adventure game. I think there are 2 ND Dossier games released.
Cheers

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Aug 27, 11 3:26 AM
The "Dossier" series is aimed at a younger audience. I have this one and enjoyed it. That doesn't necessarily make it easy. One section is timed.

ETA It looks like my hint was too subtle as I didn't want to spoil anything. In view of the frustration - BEWARE THE CROWS.

Edited on 08/30/2011 at 6:40:53 AM PST

sandhan
Clownfish
Clownfish
919 Posts

[Post New]by sandhan on Aug 27, 11 4:00 AM
Thanks, guys. I like some Hidden Object scenes, but tire of them easily. This one seems a nice mix. I should have known what LFG meant! I get confused by too many acronyms. I'll probably buy this. It seems very high quality.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Aug 27, 11 5:27 AM
I have only played a few minutes, and this seems a lot easier than the others I played becuase of sparkles. I usually hate sparkles but I like them here, as it's only as you skim over an item that it will show it. And I don't feel like spending weeks on it

I hate snakes and I know there are some in this game. But hopefully they are 'cartoonish?' At a DD I decided to try and give it a chance (the snakes)

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Aug 27, 11 6:37 AM
I was unable to finish this game. It has a timed section and I am hopeless with timed puzzles. The game is nice, no big deal, but nice, at least up to the part I had played. Hate games like this, no mention that it has some timed sections.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Aug 27, 11 11:22 AM
The usual Her Interactive hint applies:

There is a demo available at the developer's site!

Well, what can I say, if you are into Nancy Drew, logic Games, and her adventures are too hard for you? Go buy this game!

You have to find hotspots, and then link them together in a logical way to collect points. For example, click a screw, then a screwdriver, receive 1000 points. Link chains together for bigger points.

Unfortunately the series did not sell well, so the third installment was scrapped.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Aug 27, 11 1:23 PM
Laflamme, what a pity! i decided to risk the whole 2.99 and I just love this game! The game play is very unusual, and I really enjoy the "film noir", "old Hollywood" feel. I will definitely be checking out "Resorting to Danger" based on how much I am enjoying this game. The devs clearly put a lot of thought and effort into the development and artwork. I particularly like the map view, where you see Nancy's footprints walking from one locale to another.

For the record, I own a couple of the more standard ND games, and I just can't get through then without a w/t. If you are on the fence about today's DD, do yourself a favor and at least demo it!

crazy8club
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by crazy8club on Aug 27, 11 1:49 PM
Guess, I'm going to be the bad fishie in the pond on this one. I liked playing it, but too many snap, crackle and pops for me. Long story on that on.,

But too make it short; a game similar too this one; took out a part of the mother board on my previous other new computer, that I had less than 6 months.

So everyone enjoy the game.

To all on the east coast of the U.S., stay safe

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Aug 27, 11 3:11 PM
I didn't like this game at all. This is the first Nancy Drew game to play for me. They never let you try before you buy on these games. I found this game to be geared for a very young person, perhaps 10-12. It just wasn't my cup of tea or coffee so to speak.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 27, 11 11:09 PM
Played the demo and decided to buy it to kill time until a non CE hog is released. The price is right and it is a jolly fun game that takes me back to my childhood when Nancy Drew books were popular and dinosaurs roamed the plains. What can you buy for three bucks these days that will kill a few hours

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Aug 28, 11 9:18 AM
I was going to give a good review & then I met the 'match the crows' mini-game; as an older gamer my hands are simply too painful to move at speed & this particular mini-game is impossible for me
I can never understand why Her Interactive games don't do a skip button

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Aug 28, 11 11:29 AM
I loved this game. I was expecting the normal nancy drew (the frustration and back and forth to see what you do in what order, which wastes time. I still like them though!) but this was so different. It's more linear, clear what you have to do. Sparkles which I usually hate, were helpful here* and only showed up once your cursor went over it. It was fun, from the graphics to the puzzles, more laid back than the 'normal' Nancy Drew games.

I was dreading the snakes but those turned out to be very cartoonish and I was OK with them. I liked that you had try for achievment which changed the story at the end.
*Clicking on the right order of things in a scene gave you bonus points. Also you got bonus points for following the plot, if you answered the questions correctly.

There are 3 (I think) different timed areas which was very tight. And I understand the frustration they caused. There was the crows, and then lighting the candles which you had to replay later and the timer got even tighter. There should have been a skip button for them. And when you finish all the puzzles open up for replay.

For a completely different type of gameplay, fun not hard (apart from the timed areas) I give this an A-. If you could skip the puzzles and timed areas, I would give it an A.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 28, 11 6:24 PM
Before deciding to buy, read the comments under the crows section

minx69696969
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by minx69696969 on Nov 12, 11 6:17 AM
Mr_Russ wrote:The "Dossier" series is aimed at a younger audience.

I didn't realise that, i thought it was rather easy tbh. I might try some other Nancy Drew ones as i don't want to write them off based on this game

Go to: