TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Reviews for Lost Souls: Enchanted Paintings Collector's Edition

[Post New]by TeamSD on Aug 28, 11 12:40 AM
Looking forward to this one since it's on the dev site weeks ago, tried on the dev site and tried it here again. 20 Mins into the demo and off to buy! I think i've bought too many games this week so i will leave Acelia Island to buy it later and buy this one instead!

Story is quite good, not unique but entertaining! The game seems to be a little bit childish and easy. You have to travel through different paintings and to visit another place you need to go through the map! HOG scenes are easy which i like, puzzles are simple but fun. Graphics are sharp and beautiful, loved it! I don't know what's the point of the co9llecting coins just to buy the trophies.....

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Story: A
Music: B
Puzzles: A
HOG Scenes: A
Fun: A
Gameplay: B
Overall: A

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Edited on 08/28/2011 at 2:50:54 AM PST

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

Re:Reviews for Lost Souls: Enchanted Paintings Collector's Edition

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Aug 28, 11 1:26 AM
This is from Fenomen Games =) This game looked promising and it reeled me in with its voiceovers but all in all I just can't seem to get into this game. Let's review, shall we...

*Interactive Hidden Object Scenes
*Tells you when you finished a location
*2 modes of gameplay, Casual and Advanced

DISLIKES:
*Its Linear. You go to different worlds via landscapes. Kind of reminds me of 'Lord of the Mirrors' and instead of walking around searching for things you need on an adventure, it gives you a map and has you click on the scenes you need to play. It has a number on the scenes and that tells you how many things you need to do at that location.
*Picking up coins to get trophies at the end. Whats the point?
*Another lost relative theme and the kid looks just like the kids from the latest ERS redemption cemetery game, IMO
*Too easy even on advanced mode.
* Loads slowly, doesn't just go to next scene but stops mid sequence at a title screen and makes you wait while the bar loads
*Sparkles for hidden object scenes even on advanced mode

IMO, I feel like this game is better suited towards kids or towards people new to this genre. Since there is a CE sale, I will just take advantage of that as I don't feel this game is worth the $13.99 price. Im kind of disappointed because some of the other worlds look like they will be really nice but I can't stand the overall linear-ness of this game. Happy Gaming to those who buy

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Aug 28, 11 1:32 AM
This review is based on the demo.This game has most everything I'm looking for in a game. But the cartoon like graphics and overall layout are just not to my liking. I can't say I won't get this game someday when it's a SE or on sale at DD/COTW. But for now, I'll pass on this one. But like I always say, check this game out for yourself. I'm sure there are many who will like it. I'm not saying I don't like it, I just think it's not for me. But it's an o.k. game.

I rate this game: "PIGLET"

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)
FINISHED GAME REVIEW: Here's a good example that you can't always judge a game on the demo. Although there are alot of games you can. But not with this one. I absolutely Loved this game. And I'm changing my review after finishing the game. The graphics were so beautiful and amazing. I loved the story and it gets so much better as you go along. This is a must have game and I purchased the CE when they had a CE sale. I think it's worth the full price. And you won't be disappointed. It's a great game.

I rate this game: “FINE SWINE”
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

Edited on 01/18/2012 at 11:54:49 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 28, 11 1:32 AM

I went into the demo first H0 scene thinking this is really not my cuppa: bad music, artwork didn't appeal to me and it was just a junkpile scene.

Well, even though I didn't like anything about this game at the beginning it got lots better and its now on my definite BUY list for the regular version. The music never did get better and the story is stale but the gameplay is very FUN!!!

Its a FROG adventure with intermittant H0 to get inventory items which are then used (not necessarily immediately) to solve a problem or complete a quest.

Do yourself a favor and play the whole demo...its a gem with awful music.

Edited on 08/28/2011 at 2:22:17 AM PST

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Aug 28, 11 2:03 AM
Nice looking game. Really. Graphics are clear too and the music is better than in most games (my opinion of course). But... it is way to easy, even in the harder mode, and the handholding is annoying.

Pity. Game's OK, certainly if you're kind of new to this genre, but no buy for me and absolutelty not for the CE price.

CasualGran

ETA: The game is not short. Somewhere, I believe in the comments thread, the term brevity was mentioned. But I don't second that at all. IMO it's long enough. There's enough to do in a sufficient number of chapters. I think it all depends on how fast a player you are.

Edited on 08/28/2011 at 2:59:43 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Aug 28, 11 2:09 AM
(Disclaimer--33 minutes of the demo)

The title makes you think, "Ah, another quasi-Dark-and-Eerie game." Nothing could be further from the truth--it's mostly a fantasy-tale H0PA, done in very nice cartoon-style artistry.

Storyline--mysterious person delivers a painting--boy wants painting hung is his room--boy gets "sucked" into painting--Mom is off to the rescue (after "several months" (?)). The animated intro is good, and sets the plot; the Options Menu is just OK--sound and music sliders, no cursor choice (game one works well), and then two gameplay choices. The voice acting sounds realistic, and the subtitled dialogue is just right--not too wordy. As I mentioned earlier, the graphics are cartoon-like, but colorful, crisp, and clear. The cursor morphs as you go about your tasks (hand, magnifying glass, arrow, gears). Find gold coins in various scenes to earn the right to "buy" trophies (gotta "buy" your own trophies? What gives?).

The H0 scenes are semi-interactive--the first one I encountered wasn't "junk-pile," but I needed hints for a couple of the well-camouflaged (dark-on-dark) items. Hints do re-up quickly. When there's nothing left to do in a scene, you'll be told so, and advised to view the map, which shows spots which still need your attention. I didn't even open the integrated SG, so I can't comment on that. The musical background is borderline "turn the speakers off"! (Repetitive).

This game appears to be more of an inventory-based Adventure than a hidden-object one. Based on my time with the demo, I'd guess about 4-5 hours of gameplay--not bad, not good, for a CE. At least, try the demo, and if you need three more Punches on your BFG card, this is a decent choice!

Regards, elldee

Edited on 08/31/2011 at 8:32:59 AM PST

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 28, 11 2:36 AM
Hi TeamSD, thanks for starting this thread! I've just gone ahead and stickied it for you!

Hey Fishies! What do you think of Lost Souls: Enchanted Paintings Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Aug 28, 11 2:49 AM
Yet another game that opened my internet connection for me and loaded the Try/Buy page when I exited before the demo time was up . I don't know whether it is the actual game doing it or the Game Manager but whoever it is needs to remove that piece of programming if they want me to continue to buy their games as I WILL NOT BE PRESSURED. If I like a game I will buy it when I want to and NOT when you try to make me .

Due to the above I will not be buying this game today or ever as a CE so your pressurising plan has backfired because I went from quite liking the game to being extremely angry just by clicking on the quit button! Whether I ever buy it as an SE remains to be seen.

pp pp pp pp pp - - - - - - - - - - o O o - - - - - - - - - -

The sample of this game took me 20 minutes to download 146.11 Mb whereas yesterday's game took 5 minutes to download 208.41 Mb on my 20 Mb connection so that should give you some idea on how long it will take you.

The graphics for this game are quite good but I did find myself leaning towards the screen in a bid to find some of the objects, particularly in the stable where they was just a dark brown outline of a lizard on a brown background.

There is a lot of toing and froing between areas but at least the game tells you when you have done all you can at that particular time and you just click on the map to go see where you still need to do things and be taken to that area.

I thought the voiceovers at the beginning were very good but not the music, sorry whoever composed it, and I also felt that there shouldn't have been any sparkles at all in the Advanced mode but overall it was fairly enjoyable.

Cherb

[Post New]by Coronagold on Aug 28, 11 4:05 AM
Just from the screenshots alone I could tell this would be a meh game. Not 'bad', just...meh. It almost looks like the same artists who did the Goblins game that came out a few days ago. Concept art. Why would I want to see the concept art when the entire playable final game was rendered in...concept art? Tighten up those lines, dude. And let's see some creative architecture and perspective and lighting. Yeesh.

moonladydi
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,113 Posts

[Post New]by moonladydi on Aug 28, 11 4:49 AM
megwoman25 wrote:This is from Fenomen Games =) This game looked promising and it reeled me in with its voiceovers but all in all I just can't seem to get into this game... <snipped for Context>...
IMO, I feel like this game is better suited towards kids or towards people new to this genre. Since there is a CE sale, I will just take advantage of that as I don't feel this game is worth the $13.99 price. Im kind of disappointed because some of the other worlds look like they will be really nice but I can't stand the overall linear-ness of this game. Happy Gaming to those who buy

You can't buy it at the sale price. That is only for older games released before August. Click on "Learn More" for the list of abt 60 games that qualify.

edited to Bold sentence

Edited on 08/28/2011 at 4:51:04 AM PST

KIW0612
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by KIW0612 on Aug 28, 11 5:06 AM
cherbtoo wrote:
The sample of this game took me 20 minutes to download 146.11 Mb whereas yesterday's game took 5 minutes to download 208.41 Mb on my 20 Mb connection so that should give you some idea on how long it will take you.

Let's be fair here (said tongue in cheek) The download/validate/install/activate took me less than 5 min for this game. The trick was to get the GM itself to load and get to the download stage. Just becasue it took someone 20 min. unfortunately tells us nothing. This GM is programmed so SLOPPYLY it's pathetic. How long it takes to download SHOULD be an indication of the size of the game, your Internet connection and the traffic on the BFG server at any give time. Unfortunately it has very little to do with it. Dump the GM (apparently they can't clean it up. They've been trying for over a month) and all the problems will go away. Or get some of your higher end resources in there - someone that knows what they are doing. I am just as frustrated as the rest of the members. And they try to tell us we are less than 5% of their membership. Why don't I believe that?

Tell your Marketing department to back off on their pushy advertisement - it will DRAMATICALLY improve this resource HOG. Are your revenues really up? Looks to me that most people HATE IT!.

bettums
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by bettums on Aug 28, 11 5:22 AM
Wow, I can't believe the negative comments. I think it is a beautiful game. It is not too hard, the music is kind of relaxing, the scenery and graphics are really nice and it is a relaxing way to pass the time. I wish I could buy it today but I'm suffering from that old Italian disease "fundsalo" . All in all I think it is a nice relaxing way to spend some time.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 28, 11 5:43 AM
I like this game and I am going to buy it. Also Book of water in the Sale.

userfree
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by userfree on Aug 28, 11 6:05 AM
Knew after 10 minutes that I was hooked; I will need to do overtime with all my purchases this week! Graphics, game difficulty, enjoyment, all right for me. Perfect for a Hurricane Irene day in NYC (as long as the electricity holds out). Thanks BFG for another good one!

RasmusB
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by RasmusB on Aug 28, 11 6:07 AM
Unfortunatel, nowhere nearly as good as the previous Lost Souls games. Primarily due to the REALLY annoying Return to Map dialog that pops up, WAY to often. Not a buy for me I'm affraid.

Rating:
Gameplay: C (Primarily due to the annoying Return To Map message)
GFX: B
Atmosphere: C

Overall C+.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Aug 28, 11 6:11 AM
very short and easy for a CE!!!three hours and 1/4 WITHthe bonus level!disapointed by this one very much
too short,too easy,even in hard mode(this is the level i played in 3 hours!)it seems to be this kind of game i name lazy one:two or three good ideas and they are repeated again and again!i found this one boring with music ....well...nothing is worth as CE!i wasted my money this morning
i wander how they ended the game without bonus level.....for the end is bonus level!!!!!
i think it is good for SE only!don't be abused on the length:we don't go in every painting we have on the wall:5 remains totally useless!it is a brief game,i'm not a very speedy gamer and did this one in 3 hours,bonus included!

Edited on 08/28/2011 at 6:19:35 AM PST

slotfish
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by slotfish on Aug 28, 11 6:24 AM
I really enjoyed this game, clear graphics and overall nice game.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 28, 11 6:43 AM
edmee1947 wrote:very short and easy for a CE!!!three hours and 1/4 WITHthe bonus level!disapointed by this one very much
too short,too easy,even in hard mode(this is the level i played in 3 hours!)it seems to be this kind of game i name lazy one:two or three good ideas and they are repeated again and again!i found this one boring with music ....well...nothing is worth as CE!i wasted my money this morning
i wander how they ended the game without bonus level.....for the end is bonus level!!!!!
i think it is good for SE only!don't be abused on the length:we don't go in every painting we have on the wall:5 remains totally useless!it is a brief game,i'm not a very speedy gamer and did this one in 3 hours,bonus included!
I am also not a speedy gamer. But I am near the end of chapter one and it tooks me 1 1/2 hour. So for me it's a good lenght!

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Aug 28, 11 6:45 AM
Putting it on my wish list for the SE version. I really enjoyed the demo version.

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Aug 28, 11 6:58 AM
RasmusB wrote:Unfortunatel, nowhere nearly as good as the previous Lost Souls games. Primarily due to the REALLY annoying Return to Map dialog that pops up, WAY to often. Not a buy for me I'm affraid.

Rating:
Gameplay: C (Primarily due to the annoying Return To Map message)
GFX: B
Atmosphere: C

Overall C+.

This is the first game in the series (series???)so there're no first one. Are you confusing with Stary Souls?

Go to: