Buyer Beware! Don't buy this one.

[Post New]by SharonBunny on Aug 28, 11 6:17 AM
I bought this when it first came out and started playing it early last week. I already have one post on the technical site, but here's my suggestion, don't buy it. I have played it for a number of days, freezes, closes by itself, loses all my progres and then freezes my computer so I have to manually close it down. Today I uninstalled the darn thing about 3/4 of the way through the Collector's Edition. Yesterday and today, when I opened the game, all my inventory was gone, the inventory list doesn't even show up. Hint button and diary are gone too. Exited, restarted, same thing. I am DONE with this one, sorry I bought it. Anyone interested should also check the technical forum too.

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

Re:Buyer Beware! Don't buy this one.

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Aug 28, 11 7:50 AM
Too late!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 28, 11 7:57 AM

When I tried the demo, I couldn't even get past the first mini-game without freezing.

Edited on 08/28/2011 at 7:57:36 AM PST

[Post New]by virtualcandy on Aug 28, 11 4:25 PM
DITTO TO THE ABOVE! By all means, do not waste your money on this one! This is another example of a game pushed out too soon without thorough testing. CONSTANT crashes and glitches in game saving are highly maddening. Most of the time when you save the game, it takes you back to an earlier point in the game when it reloads. I bought the CE, and it was a total waste of money. I doubt seriously the game developer cares whether or not customer satisfaction is reached; just another rip-off artist.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Aug 28, 11 6:23 PM
Euskalduna wrote:Too late!

Me too!!

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Sep 6, 11 11:12 PM
I also had problems with the game hanging and getting an error message about Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error. When I restarted it also was from an earlier save and sometimes things were missing. I solved the problem for me and was able to complete the entire game and bonus with NO PROBLEMS.

I updated my Visual C++ from Microsoft to the latest one and uninstalled all earlier versions. That made the game work flawlessly for me.

I detailed how I solved the problem here:

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/40/173493.page

Hope this will help some others be able to have fun playing this game.

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Sep 7, 11 12:32 AM
Hi mcurty, this is a brilliant fix, thank you.

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/40/173493.page

I followed instructions and everything is fine now. Anyone else having a problem with this game, try this.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Sep 9, 11 10:13 AM
Thanks for posting this fix, mcurty! I had no problems with the game and really enjoyed it. Your info should help many people.

Libtard55
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by Libtard55 on Sep 11, 11 12:01 AM
What kind of computer are you running? I have a celeron 1.6 ghz dual core with 4gigs 667ghz memory 500 gb hdd. Windows Xp 32 bit. And have had no trouble what so ever.

[Post New]by PlayerPlay on Sep 29, 11 6:35 AM
It is NOT a good idea to uninstall previous versions of Microsoft C++ on your computer. The reason being is other programs on your computer may be using them (including browsers) and may not operate properly after uninstall. That's why Microsoft doesn't uninstall them as they update them. Microsoft C++ is not like Java of old when older versions were left on the computer after updating to a new one and being able to just delete the old versions off of the PC.

Simply put, try downloading a newer version of C++ while leaving the present versions on the PC alone.

Meanwhile, this solution DID NOT work for me. Still ended up with incredibly slow load times and got bounced out when trying to move left and right after talking to the voodoo lady at the crime scene. The only thing that changed was the C++ error message didn't come back.

Bottom line, if you have to jump through hoops like this to get this game to work, it's not worth it. It's a crap game and all should demand a refund who purchased it.

Try instead the James Patterson Women's Murder Club series. Similar graphics, similar vibe (from what I could tell playing this crap) but WAAAAY better done and no problems whatsoever. Gamehouse offers a triple pack deal which came out before the 4th game "Little Black Lies" was released. That one you would have to get separate.

[Post New]by drsdrs on Oct 25, 11 7:15 AM
you may not have a new enough version of direct X

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Oct 25, 11 8:00 AM
drsdrs wrote:you may not have a new enough version of direct x
You may not have two versions of directx. If the game was developed on an XP platform, you need directx 9, regardless of the version appropriate to your current operating system. If you are on Vista, 9 and 10 run in parallel, if you're on Windows 7, 9 and 11 do.

skicroghan
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by skicroghan on Nov 12, 12 4:53 PM
I bought this game two days ago. I have an Acer laptop that is almost one year old with Windows 7 and yahoo browser and I have had no problems till I got to the bonus chapter and I can't find the 1st blue turnip. Any one know just where in that set of three together it is? I have loved the game up to this point.

Go to: