layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

Reviews for Mystery Murders: Jack the Ripper

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Aug 30, 11 1:04 AM
A Casual Arts game and was really thinking this might be a good IHog/Adventure game - but not so IMO. After 35 minutes of play I got bored with all the voice overs and dialogue. Yes - voices !!

There's an option for Casual or Challenge play, no sparkles on Challenge so that will please many. Some objects are cleverly hidden and blend into the background. Or to put it another way - damn difficult and nearly impossible to find. Had to use the hint button too many times.

A map makes you go to the different places, not too much travelling or using sneakers as far as I can see. Puzzle games seem pretty simple too.

Victorian England and in the hog scenes there are baseball bats (excuse me!!!). I do wish devs would make these junk piles appropriate to the game. In the UK, wrenches are called spanners and you won't find a baseball in 19th century England. Ah well, perfection would be good but not essential. It's only a game after all.

Edited on 08/30/2011 at 1:12:32 AM PST

bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Murders: Jack the Ripper

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Aug 30, 11 1:13 AM
Hi Fishies,

This thread ha snow been stickied for your convenience.

What do you think of Mystery Murders: Jack the Ripper? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

retroFish
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by retroFish on Aug 30, 11 1:15 AM

Edited on 05/08/2013 at 3:44:03 AM PST

anubischick
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

Re:Mystery Murders: Jack the Ripper - Review and Comments

[Post New]by anubischick on Aug 30, 11 1:16 AM
Layzeedaisy nice review thanks for that, and for the warning re the hunt and peck for the scenes. I really dislike it when developers put a brown paper bag on a brown leaf pile in the corner of a darkened scene.

I do have to correct you on one point, though You would have found baseball bats in 19th Century England. It actually started in England. There's even a mention of it in Northanger Abbey and that was written just before 1800. However I do understand exactly what you mean, anachronistic HOG irritate me too. If a mobile (cell) phone turns up in a HOG scene in this one I'm going to be annoyed no end.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Aug 30, 11 1:20 AM
Just finished demo. Trying to like this game. Need a new game desperately. The graphics are not bad some interesting new game plays, game does have voice but the womans voice is a little slow but there maybe a reason for that lol (after you play the game for a few minutes you will see why).

The mini games so far have been very easy hopefully they will have differant mini's once in the game.
The artwork is very good. But the storyline?? where is it going we all know how this one ends.
I need to use one coupon should I use it or not lol. Maybe I will wait to see other reviews.
Happy game day to all fishies

Oh I give up just used a credit and got this game..
WOW just finished the game it was GREAT!!!!! Give this game a try. This is a great SE .

Edited on 08/31/2011 at 1:13:05 AM PST

retroFish
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by retroFish on Aug 30, 11 1:25 AM

Edited on 05/08/2013 at 3:44:53 AM PST

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Aug 30, 11 1:30 AM
This game was a little bit too odd for me. I don't know, it was a combination of everything, the gameplay, the minigames, too many chapter and scene changes where the was voiceovers . It look's like they were trying to incorporate a little bit of everything into the game but it didn't grab me, I guess. I would rate this a 5 out of 10.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Aug 30, 11 1:36 AM
First of all let me tell you that if you do not like crystal balls and tarot cards this game has them because you play the part of clairvoyant Emma de Ville who uses both. I haven't heard a cockney accent for a long time but it sounds to me as though whoever played her got it right .

There are two modes of play and I chose the hardest and there was nothing to tell you that something was hidden in the area until you found it however a couple of random clicks on something gets you penalised and the cursor shakes . To my way of thinking when you are playing a HOPA which has adventure type elements you should have the freedom to click on something if you think it looks useful and penalties (if the devs must put them in) should only be incurred when you click incorrectly in the hidden object scenes.

Talking of the hidden object scenes, some of the items are blended into the background thus making them difficult to spot, particularly the wrench.

While I like wandering around in some games I was pleased to see that Emma had a street map and all you had to do to get to the police station was to click on it . The sound of the footsteps adds to the atmosphere .

So far I have incurred the click penalty several times because I also involuntary click and they get counted as bad clicks too and after 40 minutes I got fed up of being told off and so will not be purchasing this game no matter how good it turns out to be.

Cherb

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Aug 30, 11 1:46 AM
anubischick I do have to correct you on one point, though You would have found baseball bats in 19th Century England. It actually started in England. There's even a mention of it in Northanger Abbey and that was written just before 1800. wrote:

Well, I never ! We sent baseball to America, how about that !!! And dare I say it's the best place for it ?

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Aug 30, 11 1:55 AM
The game is from Casual Arts, the dev who developed anther Jack the Ripper game! Ive never played any Jack the Ripper games before so i have no idea about whether this is the best or not?

Graphics are great, clear and beautiful. Puzzles are some sort quite easy and some are challenging too. HOG scenes are just right, not too difficult but not too easy as well. Story is just OK, solving crime and catch Jack the Ripper (just want to know how it ends!). There're voice overs and they're very very good, loved it! The game is great but it just didn't grab me straight away but after about an hour and think that the animations are really good so i've bought it after all

Grades:

Graphics: A
Story: C
Music: B
Puzzles: B
HOG Scenes: B
Fun: B
Gameplay: A
Overall: B

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Edited on 08/30/2011 at 3:27:39 AM PST

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Aug 30, 11 1:57 AM
hello all.

This isn't a proper review but a few points to add.

The opening cinema is beautiful, real old London Town, though not White Chaple or the East End.

As Cherb said, the girls voice is perfect. It is not one of those fake cockney accents one hears all the time in games, I think she may well be the real thing.

I do like the game, but sadly the hidden objects became a chore as they were too obscure for my old eyes to find.

I also found it a bit "bitty"

May be as a DD if I am hard pushed but sadly a no from me.

[Post New]by hawkboy7777 on Aug 30, 11 2:01 AM
layzeedaisy wrote:
anubischick I do have to correct you on one point, though You would have found baseball bats in 19th Century England. It actually started in England. There's even a mention of it in Northanger Abbey and that was written just before 1800. wrote:

Well, I never ! We sent baseball to America, how about that !!! And dare I say it's the best place for it ?

i like the 19th Century England the games just prefect on its time. but i wish you never sent the baseball lol

sportygal2009
Salmon
Salmon
2,503 Posts

[Post New]by sportygal2009 on Aug 30, 11 2:05 AM
My review is just based on the 1 hour trial:

This is an Ihog/Adventure type of game: There is a little back/forth in the game but i didn't find it to be difficult at all. I didn't find this to be a game that you could lose your way what I've played of this.

Casual or challenge mode: I played the challenge mode. Just like most games the only difference is it takes a little bit longer to use hints/skips puzzles. The only "sparkles" on the challenge mode is just for the hidden object scenes.

The graphics I found to just be OK. Not the worst I've seen in a game but I've definitely seen better.

Hidden object scenes to find the items: I didn't have any problems at all really. I only had to use a couple of hints.

Puzzles: I only came across about 2 or 3. Not difficult at all and I normally don't care much for puzzles. Usually skip quite a few in most games. This game I didn't skip them.

There are voices overs along with text on the screen you can read.

I'm not sure how long the game as there is no walk through posted yet but I was on chapter 2 when my time was up.

Overall impression of the trial: Well normally this type of game is right up my alley as I usually love dark side type of games but I wasn't too impressed with this one. While I like for games to have voice overs well I found this lady's voice in the game downright annoying. It's far from the worst game I've ever played but I've definitely played better. This is one I think I will pass on.

I rate this out of

Give it a try however as you just might enjoy it but just not for me.

Happy gaming everyone.

Hoggywizard
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by Hoggywizard on Aug 30, 11 4:04 AM

Edited on 05/08/2013 at 2:40:39 AM PST

dk5793
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,792 Posts

[Post New]by dk5793 on Aug 30, 11 4:50 AM
layzeedaisy wrote:

Dare I say, cheap shot?

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 30, 11 5:22 AM
I don`t like this game very much. The graphic is really bad, also the gameplay. The storyline is so-so. I wouldn`t buy it for the full price, but probably as a Daily Deal

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Aug 30, 11 5:26 AM
I was very excited just to see a SE!

The graphics in this I thought were great. The voice overs ran pretty slow but you can click through them if you like. I absolutely loved the story which is odd for me because I don't usually pay much attention to the story line. I am here for the game play I guess.

A map is provided to help you move about so you don't have to click fifteen times to get where you are going.

The hidden object scenes were very well done. I did have to use a hint now and then but it refills quickly.

The mini games are far to easy. You can skip them and that fills very fast also.
This is not a game I couldn't live without but I was really enjoying it.
I would have used a coupon on this immediately if they had provided a walk through. I WILL NOT buy a game if I can't check with the walk through to see how far I played during the trial period.

1/2 out of 5. Would have been a 4 had there been a walk through and more difficult mini games

SueDee67
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by SueDee67 on Aug 30, 11 6:10 AM
I read and enjoy these reviews everyday. I often do or don't trial a game based on them now. ( I've learned whose taste in games is close to mine) .

By the way, Cricket hasn't caught on here, and I'm glad of that, so we are even!

rugrats299
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by rugrats299 on Aug 30, 11 6:49 AM
Hi Everyone been downloading for about an hour already stopped it ince and uninstalled installed again and i am stuck at 60% Did anyone have problems with the download?

mazomaiden
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by mazomaiden on Aug 30, 11 7:23 AM
[removed by moderator]

Thought everyone would find this article intresting and the makers of the game not far off from including a baseball bat since they were playing it in 18th century England and it was thought to be brought here by colonists.

Edited on 09/12/2011 at 1:46:55 PM PST

Go to: