TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Reviews for Grim Tales: The Bride

[Post New]by TeamSD on Sep 2, 11 12:56 AM
Bought the CE and loved it

The game is great as expected cuz it's from Elephant Games! Graphics are fantastic, clear and beautiful...Story is great and music is stunning! Puzzles are not unique but still fun to play, HOG scenes are also well made. I think there's an update version that fixed all of the bugs so you shouldn't be worry about that! One thing that I will complain is that there're too many back and forth It's amazing and deifinate worth the SE price!

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Story: A
Music: A*
Puzzles: A
HOG Scenes: A*
Fun: A*
Gameplay: A
Overall: A*

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Edited on 09/02/2011 at 1:22:10 AM PST

bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grim Tales: The Bride

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Sep 2, 11 1:22 AM
Hi Fishies!

This thread has now been stickied.

What do you think of Grim Tales: The Bride? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Sep 2, 11 1:33 AM
I thought this looked familiar as I played the demo, must have played the CE demo previously. I loved this game. The graphics and music were good along with the the gameplay. I liked the hint system that helped you out if you got stuck on what to do next. The mini games were okay. I would rate it a 9 out of 10 and plan on buying it or using my first coupon of the month on it.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Sep 2, 11 3:14 AM
I have already played the trial from the CE (but not bought it) and thought this game is really great. As the SE its a definete buy for me

[Post New]by canadianyay on Sep 2, 11 8:16 AM
Absolutely first rate! Great gameplay and that's what I love best. See the CE for reviews and you will agree about quality. As an SE you can't go wrong.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Sep 2, 11 1:06 PM

There is a lot going for this game; it is from Elephant Games, one of my favourites, there are stunningly beautiful graphics & 3 modes of gameplay. Easy with lots of sparkles, glints, a hint that recharges in about 15 seconds & a hint that tells you exactly what to do next to boot. Advanced mode, no sparkles anywhere & a fiendish Hardcore mode, no sparkles, no mini game skips & no hints.

The mini-games were easy during the demo mode but could well get harder later & I love the cursor – it turns into a beautifully slender & elegant hand on objects to pick up.

The diary tells you the story of the game although it does little else, unfortunately no voiceovers but I know lots of people will be happy enough with that.

But…..I have never had to go back & forth so many times in a game, there is no interactive map so you can’t jump to scenes; you just walk back again & again & again ad infinitum.

I will probably buy in the sale & keep for a rainy day when I have run out of games to play but this does not rock my world.

ETA Glitch found
Having a day off work & nothing in particular to do I continued playing & met an error in the program that had apparently been talked about in the CE forum. Earlier in the game I put the handle on the mechanism; backed out of the scene to look for the oiI can - the machine showed as being covered with gloop. When I tried to push the handle was told 'oil the machine' but of course the oil can has gone as I have already done that,

It seems that this game is very linear; you should not put the handle on the mechanism until you have the oil can so that you can perform both tasks in the scene. My only recourse it seems is to start a new profile simply because of poor programming so I will ask for a refund

Edited on 09/15/2011 at 4:57:40 AM PST

M206S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by M206S on Sep 2, 11 2:03 PM
thank you SeaBamboo for the Review, especially re the running back & forth, I'M really hating that anymore especially without the use of a map that allows you to jump to a specific area. Maybe it's age but I find that when I play for a few hours and don't return to the game until the next day or whenever I have time I've lost the thread for where some of these misc items that you have to collect are needed. Really ruins the game for me. And thank you to all for the reviews, really helps me to choose my games.

kristidumplin
Manatee
Manatee
3,656 Posts

[Post New]by kristidumplin on Sep 2, 11 9:41 PM
I played just a few minutes of the demo and knew I wanted this game! Thanks to a very generous Felix Fairy, I wasted no time in buying it. As stated by others, the graphics are wonderful and the music is unobtrusive. The hint button recharges quickly and I did need it a couple of times to find those items that, when the hint reveals them, are right in front of my face..lol.
The story is nifty - a chance to save your sister, and you're directed by a creepy fella..and I love creepy.
The hidden object scenes are well done - I don't know, however, why there is a robot in the kitchen cupboard...but you know how these scenes go. I am one of those players who doesn't care one bit about items in an object scene. I don't care if the items "belong" there or not - it's just fun to find them.
I checked the walkthrough for length and it looked like I would enjoy this game for a least a couple of evenings, perhaps more.
All in all - especially at the current sale price - you can't go wrong with this one.

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Sep 2, 11 11:31 PM
This is an interesting game. There are many many places to explore. They all tie in very well and are a challenge. Some of the puzzles are difficult. The HOG scenes are tiny as the screen is not full; therefore it is just click click in the HOGs. I found them boring but overall the game is very good. I used the hint button to find out where to go next occasionally as it is very difficult to figure out the sequence. I do not listen to the sounds so can not comment. This is a long game if you play it without help. The scenes just keep going into other scenes so you will not be cheated on your exploration. The ending is a dud, but I think we expect too much of the endings of these games anyway. When they are over they are over and some folks don't accept that very well. I would recommend this game for hours of play. Thank you BF for an enjoyable time.

Mapsman
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by Mapsman on Sep 3, 11 1:58 PM
Glitchy, glitchy, glitchy! I normally don't have technical problems, but I had several literal sticking points with this game. I had to skip one puzzle because it was frozen. I had to soft boot to exit the game at one point. I had to use a hint for the shark in one of the H0 scenes because there's only one tiny place you can click that it recognizes. I had clicked several different places on that shark and thought I must have the wrong object, but the hint confirmed that I had the right one. I just had to find the right pixel.

Otherwise, I liked this game. Lots of puzzles of medium difficulty mixed in with very clear H0 scenes. You will wear out your tennis shoes traveling back and forth, but there are only a few locations per section so you won't get lost without a map. It's a nice long game, about five hours for me, and I can finish most H0 games in 2.5 - 3.0 hours.

BTW, I loved the sound effect when the demon is present.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Sep 3, 11 2:37 PM
M206S wrote:thank you SeaBamboo for the Review, especially re the running back & forth, I'M really hating that anymore especially without the use of a map that allows you to jump to a specific area. Maybe it's age but I find that when I play for a few hours and don't return to the game until the next day or whenever I have time I've lost the thread for where some of these misc items that you have to collect are needed. Really ruins the game for me. And thank you to all for the reviews, really helps me to choose my games.

I second these comments! The last 10 games I bought with all the adventure wandering adding hours to an otherwise beautiful game just aren't fun for me anymore. I don't mind pondering and trying puzzles, nor do I mind skipping, just feel cheated out of time, especially on a timed trial. I've never had to WORK so hard just to find a good hidden object scene. And thank God for sparkles and glints. As a HOG player for over 5 yrs I loved adding interaction, matching objects for tasks, but seems hard core gamers' demands for more adventure have just left me and other hoggers out in the cold.

We never had to need SGs or WTs to play through a game to the finish, but now the only way to find really GREAT hogs, hand painted fabulous graphics is to buy these hybrids. I too am totally lost on Resume, spend 30 min of my life scrolling up and down WTs, pages of SGs just to find where I left to eat or sleep, or backtrack the whole game to find ONE object I missed. Then the task to use bloated inventory is usually so absurd nobody with a normal logical mind would have guessed. Maybe Dev is short for devilish minds not Developer.

I don't mind paying double the price for such breathtaking artwork, original objects in HOG scenes, but I for one have quit buying them. The Void was a lot of fun and doable, sequel Raincliff progressed so far in difficulty I've pages of notes like waiting for the final exam I've never got past the trial TWICE. PLEASE PLEASE give us hoggers more of what WE think is fun, or an interactive map for the endless loops of search. All the suspense and urgency to save some poor soul is lost, story flow. Last game to save a maiden from burning in a fire I was surprised she wasn't aged charcoal 4 days later when I found an extinguisher.

I really don't want to keep returning to early games, PI Mys series just to relax and use my visual capacities just to stop my mind from going toxic with frustration. :

Kilan8
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Kilan8 on Sep 3, 11 3:48 PM
This was a great game to play. Finally one to use a code on. Was worth it and it even loaded and had not glitches.

It was a pretty decent length. I enjoyed this a lot.

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Sep 3, 11 4:14 PM
Played the CE demo and wasn't thrilled, but trying the SE version now and it seems much less glitchy, though I am sitll wondering about the Holy Man looking so creepy - right at the beginning. Maybe as I go further I'll find out.

Looks like I'll be getting this one via the Labor Day sale.

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Sep 3, 11 6:38 PM
enjoyed the game very much and have to agree with everyone about the graphics and sounds. it was a beautiful game . the only down side was the ending..very disppointing .

[Post New]by Cuddlefish on Sep 3, 11 10:54 PM
Loved the game. Enjoyed the graphics. Had the sound turned off and didn't miss anything. Good puzzles - some I just couldn't get, some I could get but had to work at. And no glitches at all.

Marvelous game, EXCEPT for the last 30 or so seconds. What a lame ending. I thought I had hit a glitch and went back to the game to be told that it was over.

Otherwise lengthly and interesting and very pretty

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Sep 4, 11 12:19 AM
“Grim Tales the Bride” is a very atmospheric game. Terrific, complex and interesting graphics, with just the right amount of gruesomeness (it is "Grim", afterall ).

It has a very good soundtrack and terrific sound effects, which bring the story to life and give it the feel of a spooky movie. The hidden object scenes are well drawn and are not just junk piles, and with a bit of searching one can actually find the objects without going blind.

The mini games and puzzles are, for the most-part, the standard set, but there are enough of them and they are varied enough to be enjoyable. It's great fun exploring various areas, seeing a puzzle and knowing I’ll need to search elsewhere for the missing element to play the mini-game, or solve a puzzle.

Grim Tales the Bride offers an in-game hint system and can be played at three different levels of difficulty: “Casual”, which offers lots of hints, sparkles and puzzles you can skip; “Advanced” without sparkles, has a slower recharge on hints and less of them; and lastly, “Hardcore”, with no skips in mini games.

Overall a very well crafted game, with stunning graphic and hours of entertainment.

KMarso
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by KMarso on Sep 4, 11 8:30 AM
Cuddlefish wrote:Marvelous game, EXCEPT for the last 30 or so seconds. What a lame ending. I thought I had hit a glitch and went back to the game to be told that it was over.Otherwise lengthly and interesting and very pretty

I also thought it was a glitch and went back!!

Edited on 09/04/2011 at 8:32:29 AM PST

sunnyrocks
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyrocks on Sep 4, 11 1:53 PM
Ok so I never thought I would say this one "Way to Long" I got really bored about 1/2 way through and found myself skipping a lot of the mini games, they were tedious and not worth my time to figure out. Also running from one side of the earth for one item that you need on the other side is stupid,most of the time you can not collect a few items at a time and use them later, you have to use the item pertty much right away in order to move forward in the game. That is why it takes so long to finish, I think it was a way for the dev to fake you out into thinking it is a long game.

Put your sneakers on, you are going to run the Boston Marathon for this one Anyway, not counting the above I think everything else was fine, graphics, easy hog scenes, etc.... This is just my opinion, but many gamers will enjoy this game very much I'm sure.Like I said just lost interest.

[Post New]by trudiedog on Sep 4, 11 5:01 PM
Just finished the game. I lov ed it. Great graphics, beautiful scenes, good story line.I am very impressed!

LasVixen
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by LasVixen on Sep 4, 11 7:54 PM
I really like 'The Bride'. Usually moving all over from one place to another bugs me a lot. But I really like the idea that if you take a hint, it tells you where to find the tool you need or where to use the tool you just found. I just finished the 'Demo' and then bought the game.

I have also purchased several games because of the $4.99 sale by using the code 'summertime'. I think I surely must have a free game by now.

Go to: