cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 4 September 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Sep 4, 11 1:40 AM
Any comments fishes?

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

Re:Todays DD 4 September 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by Kamali on Sep 4, 11 6:05 AM
I remember trying this first time around on the old XP computer, but it crashed at a certain point so I didn't bother buying. Tried it again just with a new download on a new computer running W7, but it still crashes (an 'access violation' it says).

Nice game as far as I got, but I won't pay even the DD amount for something that doesn't work.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Sep 4, 11 6:16 AM
I really liked this game; the voiceovers are good & I liked the humour between the main characters, a brother & sister. She is on a quest to find a book that holds the key to finding Excalibur, the sword of King Arthur. There is rather too much dialogue but you can click through it or in the options screen you can turn the voiceover down & just use the subtitles.

The adventure starts in a boat & you have to find items to get it moving; the story then moves on to Washington & I liked visiting various famous places to find clues. While you are looking for items you will be asked to perform other tasks for which you can earn money; you need to do this to collect enough to pay for your airfare to the next location. Each time you successfully complete a task there is a fanfare which got very tiresome after the first few.

The hint is unusual – you can click on the PDA to get a silhouette or if you click on the question mark a grid is displayed on screen & you are given a reference square to search. The hint recharges in around 30 seconds which is a good thing as the items can be really hard to find; being an older game the graphics are pretty grainy which doesn’t help.
There is no misclick penalty for which I am grateful as I had to randomly click around some screens quite a bit.

Each location takes a while to complete & apparently there are five; I completed Washington & was adventuring in Prague when the demo finished.

This game is very good value for $2.99 & will be a buy for me to pass away a very rainy Sunday afternoon.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 4, 11 6:35 AM

I really liked this game for all the reasons SeaBamboo reported - the only downside is that Gogii never delivered on the sequel, as far as I know.
I bought it today as a DD - it has some fun twists on the old H0 adventure theme plus I really enjoyed the voiceovers.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Sep 4, 11 8:18 AM
I just tried the demo and I remember trying this game when it came out. I didn't buy it, as I think back then it was $19.99.
What a great wee buy at DD. A lot of the graphics are 'photo objects' which I like, but it's well done. For those that like hidden mysteries series, check this out. There is some history and background which helps gives depth. And it's not really the 'junk pile' scenes that I am fed up with (though there is a bit of a mixture).

For nostalgia, might learn something, good old fashioned game play - it's so a buy at DD for me.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Sep 4, 11 8:41 AM
Recognized the screenshot of the Washington Monument taken from
the boat; checked my purchase history, nope, don't own it. Downloaded
trial and was surprised to get 60 minutes when I just knew I had
demoed before and I only do that here. Nothing in my messy
notebook of demoed games. Seems I have a mystery above
and beyond the game.

Re: the game itself, at this price, I can't say no for all the reasons
so well reported by SeaBamboo and gingergal.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Sep 4, 11 8:51 AM
I cannot stand the constant chatter of the brother/sister. Even for $2.99 US cost, the game just isn't worth the money.
Maybe some of you will enjoy it, but it is not for me.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Sep 4, 11 10:38 AM

I just finished playing this game and I ALL of it:

the voice-overs
the brother-sister banter
the hint system (rather unique)
the searches
the traveling to different parts of the world

Definitely a worthwhile gameplay for the DD

MEnr56

sherheff
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by sherheff on Sep 4, 11 11:02 AM
Very descriptive reviews, fellow fishies, Thank You!

Strixi
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by Strixi on Sep 4, 11 11:23 AM
If you have Zulu's Zoo, you'll have an idea of what this game is like: hidden objects, job assignments, taking photos of items, and lots of fireworks and rewards every time you do something right. It's geared toward youngsters, and it would be a good game to play with a child who is old enough to understand a little history, 9 years old or older.

The chatter was too much for me, but if I had to play a game with a kid, this would be a good candidate for it.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Sep 4, 11 11:29 AM
Believe it or not I like this game, I think is fun and entartaning, and the hint system unusual, I like the story of Exalibur' sword, and this game is a touch of fun and curiosity which I really need at this time, thanks BGF for the deal!!

Edited on 09/04/2011 at 11:31:19 AM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Sep 4, 11 11:32 AM
good graphics, good sound, fun gameplay. Even with the incessent chatter between the kids, worth the DD price.

Kathilisa
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by Kathilisa on Sep 4, 11 2:04 PM
This is one of my favourite games too. One of the early scenes is a bit tricky - getting the boat to sail and line up with the monument, but if you don't let that put you off, there are lots of beautiful locations to explore, and it is quite a long game, which lots of fishies like to have

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Sep 4, 11 3:39 PM
I demoed this game many years ago on Spintop, before I found BF. I really liked it but I wasn't buying any games on-line back then. The screen shots looked very familiar and of course I recognized it for certain when I started to play. Liked it back then, and like it now so it is definitely a buy for me especially being a DD. It has sparked a memory of another game I played from Spintop, - Ancient Secrets - way back then, but unfortunately BF doesn't carry it. Anyhow, I find that even though the voice overs are very good, it can sometimes get a little too chatty. Good news is that if you read faster than they talk you can rapid click through the dialogue - but do read it as the banter is kinda cute. Off to buy. Make sure you try this one at least.

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Sep 4, 11 11:23 PM
Lame. Even at $2.99 I find it too boring. Not a buy for me, sorry.

EnvirEng
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by EnvirEng on Dec 9, 11 2:22 PM
This game has a lot going for it. It just isn't my cup of tea. The length is good the graphics are awesome. The dialogue is well done and, while there is a lot of it, you can click through the dialogue. Cut scenes are cartoons and amusing and skippable.

The locations and graphics are wonderful. And, I loved some of the items on the list. No dumbing down! Fortunately, if you click on the word (item), the game provides an outline of the object. (Maybe you know what all those religious and Asian objects are, but I don't.)

You play the sister and travel around the world, following clues that will lead you to Excaliber. You talk to your brother on the phone and he provides useful information. You also get phone messages from people asking you to do things find items, photograph things, etc.). For this you make money, which you spend on airplane tickets.

What I didn't like. This game is a real hand holder. Find eight boxes of Francinscense. Fill four inscence burners. Find matches. Light burners. YIKES!

Some of the H0G scenes were very difficult for me to finish. Had to use more than one hint (recharges quickly). After a while I didn't really care anymore. Make sure to look along the edges of the screen and along the bottom! Really close to the edges and bottom.

I bought the game without demo-ing it, based on the reviews. I just wasn't my kind of game. Give it a try, though. It might be yours.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Dec 31, 11 1:19 PM
I bought this game in 2008, is been a while, I remember the game, it was a nice looking game, but after a while I got tired of the hidden Object scenes, I am trying to figure out why I got bored but still I finished and moved on.

Go to: