cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 5 September 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Sep 5, 11 12:15 AM
Any comments fishes?

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

Re:Todays DD 5 September 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Sep 5, 11 2:53 AM
The intro to the game was lovely, really nice set of old pictures & a beautiful voiceover; unfortunately the game itself did not live up to my expectations. There is no voiceover once you get into the game & you can click through the subtitled dialogue.

The music was pretty awful & the background noises were odd; the crowd talk was definitely not American.

The graphics were crisp & clear but the scenes were photo real which is something I have never liked & will always make me negative about a game. Some of the hidden objects were just too small but luckily the hint recharges in a very quick 15 to 20 seconds. However the hint button sparkles like mad in the top right hand corner of the screen & the bag next to it keeps jiggling; this is very off-putting in the corner of your eye.

I did not play long enough to check out any mini games as the overall look simply did not appeal to me, however if you like a straight H0G you might enjoy this.

msdrake
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by msdrake on Sep 5, 11 5:21 AM
This is not a game that I would buy not even at $2.99 the items keep repeating themselves and once in awhile you have to use some kind of tool (if its dark get the matches out of your bag) then everything happens automatically.

20 minutes in and it is a no from me.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Sep 5, 11 6:24 AM
I tried to like this game. I really did.It is basically a straight HOG with small items. 50 or so years ago my eyes might have been good enough, but not anymore. Fortunately, the hint button refills quickly. There is the avitar who shows up after each scene and drops a banner congratulating you. Gets real old, real quick.Not worth the DD price in my opinion. But as usual, I suggest you try the free trial as your mileage may vary.

[Post New]by doofenschmurtz on Sep 5, 11 7:14 AM
This has got to be a marketing ploy because this game isn't even worth $2.99 and for two dollars more today you can get a real game It is too bad though because the graphics are nice but you can not find anything .I had to use the hint on almost every object and that is the only good part of this game.Now Golden Trails that is a truly great Western befitting a true gamester Happy Labor Day
Just wanted to add that the background sound of the crowd sounds French

Edited on 09/05/2011 at 7:23:06 AM PST

jynxy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by jynxy on Sep 5, 11 7:58 AM
I have to agree with the other comments. Not only are some of the objects really hard to see but that woman(?) in the top hat really started to get on my nerves especially when she kept popping in and out of the train which is when I exited and deleted the game as it was just way too annoying...I DID try but no way could I sit through the whole game. I wouldn't bother if it was free.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Sep 5, 11 9:03 AM

Wow, I normally read such statements of "maybe at the $2.99 price, I might buy the game" but with these kinds of comments that it's not even worth THAT price, I'm not even going to bother to download this game.

MEnr56

hctim1955
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by hctim1955 on Sep 5, 11 10:07 AM
same here

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Sep 5, 11 10:43 AM
I absolutely adored this game when it first came out. I was all set to purchase it at the DD price, but found it won't run on my new notebook. A shame because it is a really good, long game. I still might purchase it to use on my desktop becasue it is worth the DD price.

Please, decide for yourself. The game at least deserves a demo. Why make decisions just based on other reviewers? Everone needs to make decisions for themselves.

Edited on 09/05/2011 at 10:45:50 AM PST

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Sep 5, 11 11:08 AM
Updated:

I did get it to run on my notebook running Windows 7 64-bit.

Personally, I fiound the game interesting and beautiful. On my notebook, items are usually much smaller than on my desktop and I still was able to find all the objects. The hints refresh very quickly so even if you can't find something, you are never left to sit long waiting for a hint. On my notebook, the scenes are gorgeous. Crystal clear and very appropriate for the time frame. If you enjoy things with the Old West theme, you probably would enjoy this game. The storyline is also interesting.

I think the problem with recent reviews is that they don't take into account this game was first introduced here on BF a while ago. Back then, the majority of the games we had were straight HOGs. For a person who loves HOGs, sometimes it is nice to go back to the simplier games. If you are someone who likes interaction or doesn't like to read, you probably would not like this game.

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Sep 5, 11 9:18 PM
I tried to find a redeeming quality of the game and couldn't. Sure it's an older less sophisticated game, but I own a lot straight repetitive H.O. games that have a lot more appeal. I wouldn't recommend it for a small screen, unless you like to squint a lot because there are as many blurry items are there are large. Personally I don't like resorting to the hint button if I can avoid it, but I used it a number of times just to be over and done with the scene. The music ranged from barely tolerable to downright annoying - i tried listening each and every scene, but I always ended up turning the volume right down. The graphics and scenes are average, and uninspiring. Another annoyance (though admittedly a minor one) was the puzzle mini-game. Instead of being able to click on the piece itself to rotate, you had to use one of 2 arrows at the bottom of the screen. When you complete each task (object search or puzzles) Luka rewards you with a "You are a Winner" banner. Strange choice of words as it doesn't play out like a contest.. You might well be a winner, but the game is a loser.

lovetoocraft
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by lovetoocraft on Sep 6, 11 10:15 PM
BORING!!! I thought I would make it thru the game, but just could not last that long. About half way thru the game (chapter 5?) and decided I had enough. Most of the objects are so small I simply cannot tell what I am looking at. No need for the items to be as small and hard to see as these are.

Oh well. I don't get burned very often, but this was NOT worth the 2.99.

On to find something more interesting.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Sep 7, 11 2:47 AM
Straight hog scenery is nice. Items way to small for me to see. Had to use the hint button and still could not see some of the hidden objects.

No buy for me.

Go to: