Keepers of Dryandra

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Keepers of Dryandra

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 6, 11 12:05 AM
Guide your group of magical Keepers in their quest to save their home, a giant tree named Dryandra, from a mysterious invasion. Help them fight off the invaders by guiding their attacks through exciting Match 3 levels in Keepers of Dryandra! Discover the source of the invasion and defeat the unprovoked attack before it’s too late!

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

Re:Keepers of Dryandra

[Post New]by talisman018 on Sep 6, 11 12:32 AM
Well, I like Match-3 games and have been disappointed that there have been far too many HOGs for my personal choice (no offense to HOGgers!), but I don't think that I will be even trying this one out based on the video clip. Thanks to BFG for that!

The outline of the hourglass as the game processes the moves would drive me crazy. The developers may have thought that this was a great idea in practice, but just seeing it in the clip gave me shudders. We all know that there is a lag time. We do not need this giant outline clogging up the screen to let us know that.

I hope I'm wrong and that's not what's going on here. I'll wait for a few more fishies to swim in with a word or two on this before I reconsider. As it stands, though....

NO BUY FOR ME!

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Sep 6, 11 1:07 AM
This game was okay for a M3 . It was a little different with since your opponent was playing with you. I played the demo and concluded that I liked it but didn't LOVE it if you know what I mean. I would rate it a 6 out of 10.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Sep 6, 11 1:12 AM
Well, as a HOGer who sometimes doesn't mind trying something different - actually this would have been a blast from the past for me as the very first game I purchased (elsewhere) was a M3 game - your comments have not been conducive to my wanting to even trial this game.
Maybe someone else has a different opinion based on more than screenshots or minimal trial time.
Cheers.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Sep 6, 11 1:14 AM
So, this game is OK, but not good.
Is that the general opinion?

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Sep 6, 11 1:28 AM
Definitely not new. I've seen this one on other game sites before.

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Sep 6, 11 1:30 AM
Why aren't there more good M3 games, I wonder?

Off the top of my head I can only really think of maybe a half a dozen that are challenging and have eternal playability.

Jewel Quest
Heroes of Hellas
Oriental Dreams
Zenerchi
Lucky's Rainbow

.. and perhaps Season Match, Wonders of the Deep and Cradle of Persia, although even those get a bit tedious after a while.

I would have thought M3 would have been the cheapest and easiest game to develop, and yet there are so few really good ones.

Perhaps I've missed some gems .. can anyone add to the list. Maybe there are more really challenging M3 games out there I haven't played yet?

LilyCat
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by LilyCat on Sep 6, 11 1:54 AM
My all-time favourite M3 is Caribbean Hideaway - which I see I purchased in January 2008. Played it right through many times - I'd love to see a sequel.

Avalon2
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Avalon2 on Sep 6, 11 2:03 AM
All the Fishdom games
Cave Quest
4 Elements
Both Trial of the Gods: Ariadne
Around the World in 80 days
Enchanted Cavern
Farmscapes
Ancient Quest of Saqqarah

are my favorite go-to M3 games when I need a Match 3 fix.

*-------------------------------

arthurC wrote:Why aren't there more good M3 games, I wonder?

Off the top of my head I can only really think of maybe a half a dozen that are challenging and have eternal playability.

Jewel Quest
Heroes of Hellas
Oriental Dreams
Zenerchi
Lucky's Rainbow

.. and perhaps Season Match, Wonders of the Deep and Cradle of Persia, although even those get a bit tedious after a while.

I would have thought M3 would have been the cheapest and easiest game to develop, and yet there are so few really good ones.

Perhaps I've missed some gems .. can anyone add to the list. Maybe there are more really challenging M3 games out there I haven't played yet?

anubischick
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by anubischick on Sep 6, 11 2:11 AM
Well the strategy element of this is interesting. The think before you match and upping your keepers as you go are all points in its favour, but the cartoon dialogue is a turn off for me and the somewhat amateurishly drawn graphics aren't appealing in the long term.

I won't be keeping this one. I hope others like it though.

Edited on 09/06/2011 at 2:11:36 AM PST

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Sep 6, 11 2:18 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:Well, as a HOGer who sometimes doesn't mind trying something different - actually this would have been a blast from the past for me as the very first game I purchased (elsewhere) was a M3 game - your comments have not been conducive to my wanting to even trial this game.
Maybe someone else has a different opinion based on more than screenshots or minimal trial time.
Cheers.

Okay, I have a review for you. Not my usual depth of review, but I am working and short on time. I hope this helps.

1/ it forces an install of the current version of Direct X.
2/ it forces an install of the current C++. If you choose not to install (I already have the current version so re-installing it is a pointless waste of my time), the programs hangs up on you and forces the BFG Game Manger to shut down, then tries to restart the game, fails, then you get the BFG Game Manager come back on and tell you that you have 60 minutes of game time left. GLITCH!!
3/ if you can get past that, then you have mediocre and contrived game play, cartoonish graphics, and that annoying hourglass thing in the middle of the game screen every time that the computer takes its time to let the grid fill with items. I, personally, did not care for the music.
GRAPHICS: 2 of 5
SOUND: 2 of 5
FUN: 1 of 5

I give the game an overall rating of 5 out of 15. Skip it. There are many better ones out there.

Have a great day, everyone!

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Sep 6, 11 2:43 AM
I am so craving, a GOOD M3 game, and this is not one of them, for me at least :-(.
I don't understand why M3 games, are far and few between, on this game site, than when we finally do get one, its not really what I consider, one worth buying.
My favorite are the swap M3's, and not a cheap version, like some I've seen, I just want a GREAT M3 to sink my teeth into...PRETTY PLEASE with sugar on top!!
I would spend more money on games, if there were some nice M3's, to purchase.
Don't get me wrong, I love H0G's also, but I LOVE a really good M3, to switch it up, once in a while.

This one is a no buy for me, and also I don't care for taking turns, in M3 games.
I want to play a game, not sit and wait, for the computer, to take a turn, so I will never buy a turn based M3 game.
For those of you that like this type of M3, happy gaming :-)

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Sep 6, 11 3:38 AM
This isn`t a good match 3 game in my opinion. Game mechanic is very slow, graphic isn`t good. A definete no buy for me

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Sep 6, 11 4:49 AM
This is a "fighting-style" match 3 game with RPG elements. You have a group of characters fighting different sorts of animals. Each match you make reduces the health of the animal. Making 4 or 5 matches in a go gives you stronger ammunition. You also have to clear the board of a specified amount of coloured squares to gain expert score.

The cartoon people are badly drawn and speak to each other in "youth" speak. As an oldie that rather passed over my head!

The instructions are a bit confusing and don't tell you how or why the ins and outs of upgrading your gang when you have upgrade points. Again went over my head and I think I kept on upgrading the same person!

Once I had taken off the extremely confusing overlay and muted the music I quite enjoyed it. I got the hang of going for green matches to kill the green animal etc.
I think its definitely worth a demo. Haven't made up my mind whether to buy or not but the hours demo went very quickly.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Sep 6, 11 5:42 AM
MarkAlan wrote:Definitely not new. I've seen this one on other game sites before.

Yea, it's a bit shop worn. I'd already looked it over and decided against it. After reading opinions here, I'm glad I did, as much as I like M3s.

Edited on 09/06/2011 at 5:42:48 AM PST

cstdenis
Salmon
Salmon
2,948 Posts

[Post New]by cstdenis on Sep 6, 11 11:54 AM
If you want a good "battle" M3, check out Puzzle Hero. It is old, but still a goodie. Nice graphics, interesting gameplay. Much better than this looks to be.

Other battle style M3s are the Puzzle Quest series (which I don't really care for) and Maryanne and the Lucky Pirates.

The best M3 imho is Heroes of Hellas and they are coming out with number 3 this month sometime (so the developer told me at the BFG workshop in July).

For just great fun and entertaining story M3, I really like "Deep Blue Sea" (the first one).

And of course I have to agree that 4 Elements is great. It is really different and quite challenging at the end. There is a second one out in CE form, that hopefully we'll be seeing here shortly.

lindia06
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by lindia06 on Sep 6, 11 1:04 PM
Another awesome M3 game IMHO is Treasures of Montzuma3. I thought at first it would be too hard with the 1 minute time limit, but I have played thru it twice, and I am working on getting thru it in the expert mode! If you like a very good, challenging M3, I diffinitely suggest giving it a try.
I haven't tried this one yet, but I am downloading it and will give it a chance anyway!

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Sep 6, 11 2:37 PM
There's a new "indie" Match 3/RPG out called Legend of Fae (not available here, but hopefully Big Fish will carry it sometime) that I think is SO much better than this game! The match 3 aspect is slightly different, in that you can only match horizontally, but I think that makes it sort of interesting (although I understand how people might not like that). The artwork is really nice, too.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 6, 11 3:59 PM
Imberis wrote:There's a new "indie" Match 3/RPG out called Legend of Fae (not available here, but hopefully Big Fish will carry it sometime) that I think is SO much better than this game! The match 3 aspect is slightly different, in that you can only match horizontally, but I think that makes it sort of interesting (although I understand how people might not like that). The artwork is really nice, too.

I love Legend of Fae !!!

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Sep 6, 11 7:36 PM
jkuci wrote:
[I love Legend of Fae !!!

Yay! I'm glad someone else likes it. I just wrote to the developers to see if they would look into having their game on Big Fish. It's on another sort-of-portal right now that we're not allowed to mention, but I feel like a majority of players from here would never go to that site and see this game.

Go to: