bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Reviews for Keepers of Dryandra

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Sep 6, 11 12:47 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Keepers of Dryandra? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Re:Reviews for Keepers of Dryandra

[Post New]by TeamSD on Sep 6, 11 2:42 AM
A Match 3 game with some nice mix with the Strategy style. Yes, it's not new but still nice! Graphics are poor, characters are badly drawn (made, or whatever), the music is annoying to me (including the sound effects), story is simple and the gameplay is somewhat frustrating! I think the hourglass on the board is really annoying Some may like it but some may not, no buy for me!

Grades:

Graphics: D
Story: C
Music: D
Bonuses: C
Fun: D
Gameplay: C
Overall: D

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Sep 6, 11 4:52 AM
This is a "fighting-style" match 3 game with RPG elements. You have a group of characters fighting different sorts of animals. Each match you make reduces the health of the animal. Making 4 or 5 matches in a go gives you stronger ammunition. You also have to clear the board of a specified amount of coloured squares to gain expert score.

The cartoon people are badly drawn and speak to each other in "youth" speak. As an oldie that rather passed over my head!

The instructions are a bit confusing and don't tell you how or why the ins and outs of upgrading your gang when you have upgrade points. Again went over my head and I think I kept on upgrading the same person!

Once I had taken off the extremely confusing overlay and muted the music I quite enjoyed it. I got the hang of going for green matches to kill the green animal etc.
I think its definitely worth a demo. Haven't made up my mind whether to buy or not but the hours demo went very quickly.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Sep 6, 11 5:13 AM
I played 25 min. of this demo and gave up. I have never played a game that I absolutely can't figure out.
The instructions told me nothing. The play for a Match 3 I found incredibly slow. I agree QElll that hour glass in the middle is very aggravating.
I guess I just missed the entire reason for this game. There is no speed required or strategy as far as I could see. Even not knowing what I was doing I won every time.

No Thanks

I guess I will keep waiting for a good SE in Adventure Hidden Object or one of the CE's from my list to come out in SE. I do like to buy a good Match 3 from time to time just for a diversion but this is not it.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Sep 6, 11 6:58 AM
Sorry but that game was bad. I won't buy it because it nothing fun about it.

cele3
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by cele3 on Sep 6, 11 1:43 PM
While the graphics are pretty amateur looking, and the game mechanic is kind of slow, if you like match three games, this one might be worth a go. I found it kind of enjoyable once I got the "help overlay" off the screen, and got in to the game play of clicking on the enemy to match the color I was going to match. I did play the entire hour of demo, and, since I have a punch card credit, I think I'll buy it.

Overall, don't play for just a few minutes if you want to get a good feel for the game. If you're really into fabulous graphics and wicked fast game play, you will probably want to skip this one, but if you like match three in just about any form (I do) you may want to at least try this one.

Edited on 09/06/2011 at 1:45:05 PM PST

CLEMONSTWAIN
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by CLEMONSTWAIN on Sep 6, 11 3:41 PM

Thanks for the forum info. The final blow was the install of Bing. i cancelled the download before it finished. For tonight I'll be content with an oldie but goodie.

gpj53
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by gpj53 on Sep 6, 11 9:58 PM
I sort of enjoyed this funny little game once I read the forums and found out how to play. I don't turn sound on so that didn't bug me. However the instructions did though perhaps I just didn't read them properly. I kept watching for the enemy "attacks" (on the board) but it wasn't until just before time ran out that I spotted the enemy thowing things and realised they didn't have anything to do with the board at all - blame it on advancing years - not that I ever saw what the result ever was of all that throwing . I did like the fact there was no timer and I could work out where I was going to M3 next. I'm unlikely to buy except perhaps as a DD and then only if I needed to make up my punch card for the month.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 7, 11 7:03 AM

This turned based battle M3 has the potential for fun but it runs too slow on my old computer - so, that wrung the fun factor right out of it, in the end.

If I had a faster CPU (mine is an Intel 4 @ 3.07 GHz) and/or more RAM (mine is using XP w/1.43 GB of RAM) this game might have run alot better.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Sep 17, 11 10:32 AM
I got hooked on RPG/M3 hybrid games with Cave Quest (Hope they keep the battles in the sequel!) 'cuz RPGs were my first games I 'd. Past 10 years or so they became so complex, thought I'd never play one again, an I found HOGs. M3s were a nice diversion. Then I saw "Old school" new RPGs on I was so ! Thrilled to find TRUE RPGs way cheaper than wasting on a system, then 30-50 a game, for only a few made for that system! I'm a hard core turn based player. Hate/can't play anything requiring rapid movement (action/arcade games) with my RA/OA/Neuropathy/CT. So I REALLY dig this concept of M3s with turn based RPG battles and a good story. As mentioned before Cave Quest's the best by far! It's in my top 10 fav games of ALL time! That's impressive since I've played/owned every home game system, and most of the RPGs for them.

However. This game; Yes its fun. Yes I like it. But.. only 'cuz I like the style and not many M3s like it YET (*crosses fingers*). This one(at least the demo) was confusing, lackluster, repetitive and the upgrades pointless. Aside from our characters needing more HP (hit points or health points as they call them) etc to beat creatures that will no doubt get stronger that is. No exciting new weapons, spells, armor etc. All get the same upgrades, nameless and so tiny I just don't connect with them! Maybe it will get more challenging and hopefully there are lots of levels? (Developers wanna answer?!!)

I wanted to buy it for the PC promo, but I'll prolly put this one on my DD list to buy for 2.99. like I said..I like it, I don't love it. I could have if the story had been better as well as the graphics. Better goals/upgrades/bigger characters/monsters etc and the background of the board is way too hard to see what needs cleared! So to this game and ANY developers making this "new" genre of RPG/M3 game take notes. You could have a winner, but its got to be better than this! Like Cave Quest, but with more levels and things to buy. Remember..NO timers! lol

OH and fix the resolution! Have XP, the bottom of the game is cut off by my toolbar. No other has it showing up. I hope its a bug that will be fixed. Forced to play in windowed and even then bottom is cut off. No buy till that gets fixed!
I give the demo 2 1/2 s

[Post New]by TopazMystique on Oct 1, 11 2:06 PM
Second game I demoed today for right-handed people. Please, developers, do not count out is lefties. This is getting so old it's nauseating. I didn't even try to play the game. Any games that are hard-coded for right handed people I just skip. it's not like it cannot be done because there are a lot of games out there that handle mouses that are set for lefties.

[Post New]by Cedarga on Oct 3, 11 3:19 PM
I find this forum really confusing. I beat the game the first time I played, which was annoying because I started in "normal" mode and had nowhere to go from there. Liked the relaxing (no time limit) play and always turn off music and don't read the comics, so can't comment there.

For some reason you cannot play the game in the same profile a second time. It keeps returning you to the first screen.

I would have liked a "hard" and "expert" mode on the game, as well as more battle screens.

I like the turn-based RPG, but I'm old and remember them from back in the day.

Jarrow
Clownfish
Clownfish
540 Posts

[Post New]by Jarrow on Oct 10, 11 11:32 AM
The game gives you a strategic element of raising three aspects of each of six characters you can potentially use, out of ten. You gain points to raise these aspects as you win the Match 3's, and each of the ten characters has different benefits.

Spoilers follow.

But--after having you invest heavily in the opening group, the developers use slight of hand to make the game more difficult, by creating a gratuitous "cave in" that seals away two of that original set. Result? You're lacking advanced characters for your team, and have to gradually work up two more characters over time.

I'm not exactly sure why newer, tougher monsters couldn't have been created instead. Perhaps they lacked time to add graphics, or to add code. But it feels cheap, like the very strategy element you needed to master in order to help win was suddenly taken out of your control to make things tougher, and force you to take three steps back. Hearthfire lost a future customer with this.

Edited on 10/11/2011 at 8:42:22 AM PST

Freka
Herring
Herring
304 Posts

[Post New]by Freka on Jan 8, 12 4:14 AM
I enjoyed killing the bugs! Most of them looked like the crickets that get into my house, with their big globular bodies. Much easier to kill than the actual crickets. I just kept upgrading the same person and the demo was over before I knew it.

Prefer a DD, but may use a punch card credit.

Go to: