nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

Anybody untangle the chess pieces in less than 10 min?

[Post New]by nwl43 on Sep 6, 11 10:05 AM
If so congratulations. I just want to know if it is remotely possible.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

Re:Anybody untangle the chess pieces in less than 10 min?

[Post New]by LizzieK on Sep 10, 11 2:57 PM
I finally got that achievement today. It is probably the most difficult set of string puzzles I have ever played. I was so relieved when I finished two of them but I had forgotten that there was a third one. When the third one popped up I thought "Oh no!" I just kept on trying and thinking that I must be over 10 minutes. When it was solved the achievement can up and I was very happy.

Edited on 09/10/2011 at 3:01:21 PM PST

dvdiva
Clownfish
Clownfish
911 Posts

[Post New]by dvdiva on Sep 10, 11 3:56 PM
You rock LizzieK!

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Sep 10, 11 5:31 PM
Congrats, LizzieK. I finally cheated. I took my time and solved each puzzle up to one move left and then took a screen shot. After getting all three screen shots, I reopened the puzzle and solved using the screen shots. Not as satisfying as solving it the legitimate way, but I worked really hard to get those shots.

I did learn that you can work on the puzzle, back out and start over to get some practice. Just back out when you have one move left on the last puzzle. Apparently the accumulated time doesn't count. You can start over many times and if you solve it within the time limit on your last try it counts.

Edited on 09/10/2011 at 5:38:10 PM PST

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Sep 10, 11 6:30 PM
I had the same thought about the screen shots. This is only the second time I have played the game. I didn’t pay attention to the achievements the first time through. This time I was aware of the 10 minute time limit so I hurried. I wasn’t looking at a clock and I thought I was over the 10 minutes. Before I let go of the mouse when the last piece was clear on the third puzzle, I hit the print screen button. I was thinking that at least I will have a picture of this last one to go by. To my surprise I was under the 10 minutes, but I was going to use the screen shot if I had to try it again.

That is a great tip about how to get practice by backing out of the puzzle.

riefer
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by riefer on Jun 5, 12 2:24 PM
I did it, on my first try. The key to these kinds of games is to first pull everything to the outside edges to give yourself lots of room, and then concentrate on the strings one by one. Pick one piece as your first one. "Clear" all of its strings by pulling the attached pieces close to it. Then pick a second piece that's attached to your first piece, and clear it.

If you get to a piece that cannot be cleared without messing up some of your already cleared pieces, the best thing to do is try to bring it inside the strings.

Also, btw, a good first move is usually to switch the pieces to the opposite side of where they started. Move the ones on the left to the right, and vice versa. That usually clears things up a bit right to start with.

Go to: