cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 10 September 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Sep 10, 11 12:15 AM
Any comments fishes?

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

Re:Todays DD 10 September 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 10, 11 2:03 AM
Downloading, I've just read the other reviews, I'm afraid it doesn't sound too good...
SYL.

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

Warning, Try Before Buy

[Post New]by LadyDream on Sep 10, 11 2:05 AM
Sigh, another game that full screen gives an extra inch of black top and bottom. Too small for me. Looks like another straight forward junk pile hidden object game. A few minutes in I had to turn off the music. The voice overs were obviously reading the lines. They had lovely accents, however it's a bit off putting when the captain, who is supposed to be writing his last words, sounds relentlessly cheerful. More like an activities director. "Oh goody! A mutiny! Keeps me from getting bored, what what?" I can practically hear Hugh Laurie doing Berty Wooster. I wish it WAS. Then I'd buy the game. I did like the one puzzle I got to before realizing I was wasting time playing something that annoyed me. I probably would have loved it when I started out playing games though. Now I've gotten more spoiled...er..sophisticated. Lots of people love the Margrave game, so you should decide for yourself.

Now if someone would develop a Jeeves and Wooster game, that would be awesome!

Akenta
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by Akenta on Sep 10, 11 4:05 AM
This is definitely a try it before you buy it game. I really enjoyed it, but it's more a straight HOG with some puzzles. The first game was a pure HOG so this has evolved some.

I still have this on my list as not completely solved because I haven't been able to get my trophy room all filled up. The first game you could keep playing scenes and each time you completed you would get a new item to place in the room. This game will only place an item in the room if it's object that was found in the scene, so you have to keep replaying the game over and over if you want to get that to 100%. Also, like the first game, you can replay rooms and try and get an A+ score. One of the rooms is broken (at least it was the last time I tried, and I have a feeling it's never going to be fixed).

The story does continue from the first one and is a similar style of play. If you did like the first one, you will probably enjoy this one too. Either way, worth at least 30 minutes to try out.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Sep 10, 11 4:23 AM
Have this. It was better than Margrave Manor 1, which I don't believe I ever finished. This one was enjoyable for the first hour or so. After that, I played it because I had paid for it, and I was determined to finish it. It was sort of a challenge. Could I do it without tearing my hair out or falling asleep from boredom? I did after days of playing one scene at a time between whatever else I was doing, but scene after scene of H/Os with nothing to relieve the monotony was not fun, and we do purchase these games to have fun, don't we? Don't recommend this one at all. I thought from playing 20 or 30 minutes of the demo that it would be, but NO. I was ready to blow the ship up myself.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Sep 10, 11 6:17 AM
Bought this one and liked it for the story and a bit of simple play. One of the games I played for quite a while as a filler for short sprints. Graphics not so hot. Liked characters. Hated the first one, a fuzzy mess and not much more. Not bad fot 2.99.

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Sep 10, 11 6:18 AM
I played this one when it was released. I remember being stuck on that ship and having to repeat the same HOG scenes over and over....and over again with weather changes, it seemed. Many of the puzzles consisted of putting torn up paper messages back together. There was something of plot (quest to solve a mystery) but it was not a compelling part of the game play.

If you want a straight HOG with a slightly creepy atmosphere give it a trial. It's not the best, but it's not nearly the worst either.

Edited on 09/10/2011 at 6:19:32 AM PST

wunder
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by wunder on Sep 10, 11 7:07 AM
Could have liked this game if it did not take a ridiculous amount of time to load - in the hour demo, I'd say 25% of time was waiting for the next scene to appear. And my computer is definitely not slow - this is first game I remember having to wait so long for the story to continue.

H.O. scenes are grainy, a few items difficult to find. Two hints per scene, and I usually only needed one. In one room, I clicked on the needed object before I finished the rest of the list, and it would not let me get the remaining items - took me straight to the next scene. That's a bummer, especially if one of those items was one you needed to complete the "collection".

I'm not a slow player, but this game would take hours just waiting for each room to load. May buy since it's a DD, not sure that my patience (or impatience) could handle it.

Happy Gaming, Fishies!

PTSuusje
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by PTSuusje on Sep 10, 11 9:08 AM
It's OK. We're used to so much better nowadays, I suppose. I like the English voices, they talk just like I do! But those endless Hogs - do the writers of these games pass on their programmes on to each other to save themselves the trouble of writing something new? - wrench (or pipe wrench), oil lamp, crowbar, hiking boots, pliers, hammers and on it goes - just a huge turnout of the parents' dusty garage with the addition of a few skulls and reptiles.

Go to: