[Post New]by brookings on Sep 11, 11 12:35 AM
Has anyone played this game?

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:Comments on Journalist Journey $2.99 DD 9-11-11

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Sep 11, 11 12:55 AM
I already have this game and it's fantastic. A great deal at DD prices. The graphics are great and the story is very intriguing. It's a long game so you get your money"s worth. This was one of the first games I played years ago, and it still holds my interest and is one of my favorites. So, with all that is said, don't pass on this gem. It's well worth the DD prices, but in my opinion I'd pay full price and I did pay alot more money than this for it. Great grahics/story/widescreen/Ihog. Don't miss out on the one. It's great! Enjoy!

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by Poem123 on Sep 11, 11 1:14 AM
The story is appealing and I like the graphics but it's very heavy on the hog scenes (some interactive). I think those who love hidden object focused games will enjoy this while those who prefer as few as possible should give it a miss. I'm somewhere in the middle and won't buy this but would recommend people try it out.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Sep 11, 11 2:00 AM
I remember really enjoying this game but not purchasing it because it had really bad lag inbetween scenes to the point I felt like it was freezing my computer. Im going to try it again though to see if anything has changed. Its a game I've always wanted.

just wanted to say it seems to have no issue with lag now. I did play it the first time on a MAC though and now am playing it on a PC so I don't know if that has something to do with it or if it just got fixed or what. Its very hidden objecty but its still a very good game. I remember playing it through different game sites to keep going without purchasing it back when you could do that before CE's came along...hey maybe thats why they release them as CE's now...and sample play! Happy gaming!

Edited on 09/11/2011 at 2:11:35 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Sep 11, 11 2:03 AM
Game is nice enough but why does the screen SHRINK when selecting "widescreen" in the options menu? Isn't that backwards?

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Sep 11, 11 3:15 AM
And the clock hands STILL freeze the game!!! Unbelievable that BF offers this as a DD and there is still no fix.

hippyfishie
Minnow
Minnow
295 Posts

[Post New]by hippyfishie on Sep 11, 11 3:15 AM
I played up to the infamous clock scene in the professors office and game froze up on me when I tried to pick up arrows. Looks like a good game but after reading all the tech issues and then having the exact one, I won't be buying it. My computer is already in game mode and most processes are shut down.

I am able to play heavily interactive games requiring lots of RAM, so I don't think that's the problem. I think it's a glitch, plain and simple.

I've got enuf problems. Don't need anymore with this game. I won't be buying it.

Good luck to everyone and I hope it works for you, but "buyer beware."

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Sep 11, 11 3:46 AM
A real shame they didn't address the clock hand (and who knows what else) issue before offering it on a DD because it really does look like a good game but I agree with hippyfishie---who needs those kind of problems when there are so many excellent games that are problem free? Off to play one now!

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Sep 11, 11 4:30 AM
This offering from Xitex is the sort of game I cut my teeth on when I discovered the Hidden Object genre; each scene is a H0. The graphics & artwork are clear & very well drawn although the scenes are pretty much junk piles. However interest is added as some items are hidden or you have to find one item to interact with another.

The music & background noises are not very good but there is an option to mute all. I found that leaving the option fullscreen filled my monitor whereas if I selected widescreen it made the scenes smaller.

There is no voiceover & there is a lot of dialogue which can be skipped; however if you do this you will miss the story. That is no hardship as the story gets more bizarre as the game goes on & it lost all cohesion for me.

The hint button takes about 1 min 20 secs to recharge which is a long time on a straight H0 & there is a loop de loop misclick penalty. There are some pretty easy mini-games & a warning for those of you who find it difficult, like me; sometimes you need to ‘draw’ your mouse on a symbol.

I had no technical problems during the demo, the clock scene was not a problem. If you enjoy a straightforward hidden object this is a good game at a bargain $2.99

Puglet
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Puglet on Sep 11, 11 6:16 AM
Would have bought this game except for the clock hands glitch. You think they would have fixed this problem by now.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Sep 11, 11 7:47 AM
Here's my post from when the game was new; tried it
again today and the glitch was never fixed. Guess it
never will be, so definitely a no buy for me.

"I betaed this game and had no tech problems, but trying out demo
today, I have the same problem mentioned above when I click
on the clock hands in the Prof's office. My beta test went well
beyond this point with no problems. Will do my usual, uninstall,
reinstall and see if that helps.

Did that, still a problem. Was really looking forward to this
purchase, but with a known glitch, cannot bring myself to
pay for a game where I may encounter other glitches.
If it gets fixed, sure buy; if not, then no buy. Really a
shame since it was ok during beta."

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Sep 11, 11 9:54 AM
Played the demo and the clock hands puzzle without a hitch. Very nice graphics and interesting scenes to say the least - how about that alligator eh? A good choice if you want to play something that isn't too simplistic but has a little meat to it. It's a lot of straight H.O. scenes a little interaction to keep it interesting - (too bad they didn't add a little more of that) - and mini-puzzles, though simple in most cases, kept the gameplay from being monotonous. Though the game does tend to hold your hand - pretty much all of what you need to complete the scene is within the scene and it isn't rocket science to figure out what one had to do or use, it also guides you if you need to go into another scene to pick up an item. For all that, the game still had appeal and a quick check of the walkthrough shows it is going to be a healthy length, so I'm buying.

Edited on 09/11/2011 at 9:57:23 AM PST

LYNNEWHITNEY
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by LYNNEWHITNEY on Sep 11, 11 1:11 PM
I sped through the first scenes, skipped the story so I could see if the "clock hands" was a problem for me too ... NOT! It worked without a hitch! Going to buy it now and then play it at leisure the way it was intended - story line and all. This is a great game!

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,388 Posts

[Post New]by sandebeach on Sep 11, 11 1:57 PM
Played the demo to ensure that there were no tech problems with the clock hands, and everything went well. Bought the game and I have been playing it on and off all afternoon. Really liked the graphics, and also the music. I had no problems tracing the runes, but there is a skip button if someone has problems. LOTS and LOTS of HOG scenes, and I loved that. Great deal at the DD price!

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Sep 11, 11 5:10 PM
Played to the clock hands which worked just fine. Since I rushed the game to get there I am now going ahead and hitting Buy and can now slow down and enjoy a good game at a bargain price.

Edited on 09/11/2011 at 5:10:49 PM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Sep 11, 11 5:39 PM
I must not have had a clock glitch because I did finally finish this game. I say "finally" because I recall at some point wishing it were over, so it is quite long. I'm a hog lover basically so plenty of those.

Unless I'm confusing it with another game around the same time (Tiger's Eye?) I remember getting confused with 2 character roles (?) first time for me and when I thought I covered one location, later I hadn't and there were things for the guy to do. There was a map, (interactive?) and some of the tasks got soooo absurd making me go to and fro so many times. Like, wasn't there an abandonned coffee shop and she had to make coffee and go all the way back to her apt to get coffee then all the way back for a cup or some nonsense (just to make the game seem longer) as I'm wondering how come there is no coffee in a coffee shop? Or going all the way back to some ditch to get a precious item she didn't need first time down in a sewer. Maybe that is what happened with missing clock hands, like, they are there somewhere, check the walkthroughs.

Adventure players wouldn't lose patience with these aspects and better at remembering where stuff was and how to get there. Anyway, I had a love/hate relationship but I guess it was a good game, good learning experience. I learned I dont have a lot of patience waiting for sparkles and another HOG to relax with if I have to wander around too much, or do tasks that make no sense.

Humm, maybe I'd be better on it now with more experience. May be a good one to reinstall for replay. I don't recall it going widescreen but ran full screen ok.
Try it out for yourself, but be aware it can get more difficult later if you have a short memory.

wini1
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by wini1 on Sep 11, 11 8:24 PM
I really liked this game until the clock scence like a lot of other people and got that error message. Then I tried it again and had to restart my computer because it froze up! I can't believe they can't fix this after all this time. Maybe eventually they will get it fixed. Is there another one in this same series?

dannsh
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by dannsh on Sep 12, 11 2:44 PM
Not even worth 2.99. This games has bugs. I lost the brush going from the crime scene back to the professors home and could not clean the map. And is getting harder and harder to find a PowerPC game I have not already played. The PowerPC game forum has not helped much. Some of the games there are not PowerPC playable.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Sep 14, 11 2:25 PM

I just finished playing this game and I have to say that I am right proud of myself:

didn't have to even glance at the walkthrough
was able to figure out what to do next (looking up at the comments helped at each new return map scene)
almost never felt frustrated; THOUGHT that I'd lost my magnet, I hadn't; I just didn't realize that the magnet (after clicking on it) had attached itself to the rope until I clicked onto the rope
never had any glitches to contend with

This game was long but not too long -- for me, it was just right.

MEnr56

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Sep 15, 11 8:16 AM
I can't finish this game. Got hung up at the clock hands with two different profiles. One got an error message and the other just froze. I just wrote to CS hoping for some help. How annoying!

Go to: