bfgErie
Catfish
Catfish
1,538 Posts

Syberia - Instructions on How To Play

[Post New]by bfgErie on Jan 6, 09 9:02 PM
When you first start up the game, you are presented with the Main Menu. From the Main Menu you can start a new game, load a previously saved game, view cutscenes, view credits, options and quit.

Main Menu
New Game
When you play for the first time, a cutscene is launched automatically explaining your context at the start of the adventure.

Load Game
Each saved game is represented by a picture and is dated the day and hour of saving. To resume a saved game, click with your left mouse button on the corresponding image.

Cutscene
This option enables you to view the cutscenes that you have already played in the game.

Credits
This option displays the game's credits.

Options
This sub-menu enables you to adjust the various graphics and sound options of the game.

Quit
This option halts the game and returns you to Windows.

Options Menu

Subtitles (Yes/No)
To display (or not) the game's sub-titles at the bottom of the screen.

Level of detail (High / Low):
Use this option to adjust the graphic quality of the game according to your computer's performance. Setting Level of detail to High enables you to get the most out of the visual effects of the game and will enhance your immersion in it. Setting Level of detail to Low will disable some of the optional visual effects

Screen depth (16 bits / 32 bits):
This option offers another way of adjusting the quality of the game's graphics to suit your computer. In 32-bit mode, the game will use a wider range of colors and therefore the display will be optimal. On the other hand, in 16-bit mode you will improve performances but your color range will be more limited. 16-bit mode is particularly recommended for PCs with graphics cards lower than 32 Mb. The game should be re-booted for this option to take effect.

Anti-aliasing (Yes / No):
This option enables you to soften the characters' contours and enhance their graphics. We recommend that you do not activate this option if your computer has limited capacities, as this may be detrimental to performances. The game should be re-booted for this option to take effect.

Sound volume:
This menu enables you to adjust the volume of sound effects and voices.

Music volume:
This menu enables you to adjust the volume of the background music.

How to play
It is possible to play Syberia entirely with the mouse.
-Left click for movement and actions.
-Right click to view the game menu, use an object from the inventory, consult documents or use your cell phone.
-To jump a cutscene or a line in the dialogue, press the Esc button or right click with your mouse.
-To run, double left click on your mouse.

The game icons
Ring - Clicking the mouse will move the charecter to this point
Glowing Ring - Move to an adjacent scene
Y - Action possible in this area of the scene
Y with an X over it - No action possible
Eyeglass - Talk to charecter or zoom in on scene
Hand - Pick up or Grab

The inventory menu
To reach the end of your mission, you have to collect objects that will be automatically placed in your inventory. Right-click to access your inventory. To select an object, click on it with the left mouse button. The object selected will appear on the bottom left of the screen. To leave the inventory without selecting an object, right click on it with your mouse. To use an object, select it then click on the zone or the character on which you wish to use it. If the object selected cannot be used, the No Action Possible icon will appear.

The cell phone
When Kate receives a telephone call, she will reply automatically. To call someone, click on the telephone icon in your inventory. The Cell Phone interface will open. Dial the 8 figure telephone number of the character to whom you wish to speak. There are also numbers in the telephone's repertoire that you may consult by clicking on the up and down arrows. When the 8 numbers have been entered or you have selected a number in the inventory, press the Call/Answer button. When you have finished your call and you do not want to make any others, click on the Off button.

Documents
To consult or use your documents, click on the Documents icon. To consult a document, click on the eye icon, then click on the document of your choice. To use a document, click on the hand icon, then click on the document of your choice. Documents are accessed in the same way as objects.

Dialogues
If you direct the pointer at a character and it turns into a "Talk to character" icon, you can converse with a character. To engage in conversation with a character, click the left button of your mouse. Some characters have more to say than others. You can structure your conversations using the Dialogue notebook that appears on the left of the screen. There are various themes in the notebook. You can thus tackle themes relevant to your progression by clicking on them in the Dialogue notebook. When you want to bring the conversation to a close, click on the arrow at the bottom of your notebook. New and different themes will be added to your list as the adventure goes along. You will be notified of their availability by a sound and a notebook icon, which will appear for several seconds at the bottom left of the screen.

Edited on 10/22/2009 at 12:45:36 PM PST

craskehouse
Herring
Herring
393 Posts

Re:Syberia - Instructions on How To Play

[Post New]by craskehouse on Jan 7, 09 12:27 AM
Anyone got this yet? Are there any faults?After all the trouble with Evil under the sun,Im waiting for someone to download it as theres no tester!

craskehouse
Herring
Herring
393 Posts

[Post New]by craskehouse on Jan 7, 09 6:56 AM
I may give it a go then

TomPop
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by TomPop on Jan 7, 09 7:31 AM
If you don't download another game this year (God, I'm not advocating this, Bigfish will have my guts for garters ), I urge you to try this fab game. I bought it last year (a syberia 1 & 2 disc), it was my first delve into an adventure game, and to say it's beautiful is the understatement of the century. Everything about it is superb: the characters, the soundtrack (which is awesome to say the least) and the storyline will have you gripped. I felt quite sad when I eventually completed it.

NYDanielle
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by NYDanielle on Jan 7, 09 7:43 AM
I played Syberia way back when...when it first came out. I'm a HUGE adventure/RPG game lover, and I've gotta say this is one of the best I've ever played. You're gonna fall in love with Oscar, the robot! ~LOL~ There's also a Syberia2, which is just as good.

craskehouse
Herring
Herring
393 Posts

[Post New]by craskehouse on Jan 7, 09 8:39 AM
I downloaded up to 85% then press the wrong button....Off we go again

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Jan 7, 09 9:05 AM
I love Oscar!
I haven't finished 2 yet, is it worth finishing? I am in the camp (I think).

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Jan 7, 09 12:00 PM
Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for - so how come there is no Syberia forum?

Just to make sure I understand the interface...at the beginning, when Booboo or Moomoo or whatever the kid's name is has been run off, I picked up the gears and noticed the pattern on the table-top...just to check that I didn't miss something obvious, there is no way to place the gears on the table, correct? The pattern is, no doubt, a Clue, but not THAT obvious a clue

Editing in a P.S. Ooo, ooo, my 52nd post! Wish it were a little meatier
Wait, I know...as to why there is no forum...can we say "Big Fish: Tomorrow's Game Today...Big Fish Forums: Yesterday's Game Tomorrow"? Kidding!

Edited on 01/07/2009 at 12:11:59 PM PST

adragon
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by adragon on Jan 7, 09 2:41 PM
It is more like "Today is the Tomorrow I warned you about Yesterday" - I'm still waiting on the download. . .thought that superfast Comcast was supposed to help! Oh, well, a rainy afternoon and not much on tv.

AlmostSilver
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by AlmostSilver on Jan 7, 09 2:48 PM
I'm also downloading but my DSL crawls on rainy days....and guess what I'm having a rainy day. Boo hoo
Thank you for the Instructions!

Edited on 01/07/2009 at 2:49:07 PM PST

MinkDoe
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by MinkDoe on Jan 7, 09 4:58 PM
Yowza my fellow fin friends...... I was looking for something spectacular to play.... and you guys
lelt me know this is it!! Now, I can't wait. Hope there is a trial.... but based on you all's comments,
I'm gonna go for it anyway!

And..... "guts for garters"..... I'm still laughing!!!!!!!!!!!

[Post New]by llilly on Jan 7, 09 5:26 PM
I played both Syberia and Syberia 2 and they are among the best games I have played simply for the story, music and the beauty of the graphics. As a large file game, it is normally a leap of faith to download it, but if you like following clues that make the story unfold, picking up objects to make something work right, etc. you will love this game because it does those things so much better than Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes, etc. I looked high and low for other games by this author, but these were the only ones he (she?) made that I can find. You can't die, you don't have to fight anything, and there is no blood or gore.

The best source for hints for this game and many others is at the Universal Hint System because you can reveal only a little bit of the hint at a time to just help you along when you are stuck, not reveal all of what to do unless you want to.

For Syberia, these hints are located at [URL Removed by Forum Moderator]

TomPop is right -- you get emotionally invested in this game and I felt sad it was over, but it had such a beautiful ending in Syberia 2. Have fun with it!

Edited on 01/19/2009 at 4:17:58 PM PST

sunny64
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by sunny64 on Jan 7, 09 9:12 PM
When I downloaded Syberia last night and finished the download through the BF manager, it asked if I wanted to play the 60 min. demo version, I had already bought the game so don't know if this may be available after download. The download time was the longest I have ever experienced with any game. Approx. 45 minutes with high speed broadband.

I do find this game somewhat similar to the Myst games, fantastic graphics and trudging to and fro, back and forth... However, it is a really enjoyable game.

Once again Big Fish.....

craskehouse
Herring
Herring
393 Posts

[Post New]by craskehouse on Jan 7, 09 11:16 PM
Well here I go again,trying to download for the 3rd time .Not the games fault all mine!!

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Jan 8, 09 12:18 AM
adragon wrote:It is more like "Today is the Tomorrow I warned you about Yesterday" - I'm still waiting on the download. . .thought that superfast Comcast was supposed to help! Oh, well, a rainy afternoon and not much on tv.

LOL...I have Comcast, too. D/L took four hours, more or less. Worth it, though.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Jan 8, 09 12:21 AM
llilly wrote: ...you will love this game because it does those things so much better than Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes, etc. I looked high and low for other games by this author, but these were the only ones he (she?) made that I can find. You can't die, you don't have to fight anything, and there is no blood or gore...

Thanks for the UHint lead...have a feeling I might need it, although not quite yet...anyway, have you tried Time Stand Still? Very similar.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Jan 8, 09 12:24 AM
LOL and then there was a Syberia forum! Magic

shindy77
Herring
Herring
319 Posts

[Post New]by shindy77 on Jan 8, 09 4:05 AM
I downloaded Syberia as soon as BF made it available on Wednesday; total download time for me was about three hours with DSL. But it was soooo worth it!

I have tried other point & click adventure games but I always get bored. I was a little hesitant to try another without the benefit of a trial download, but I read the reviews of it, which were all stellar, and decided it was worth the risk. Best decision ever!

This game is GREAT! The images are beautiful, the game interface is simple (once you get used to it) and you can play entirely with the left and right buttons of the mouse (left click to select things, right click to open/close inventory and deselect things/return them to your inventory).

The game itself is enthralling. Beautiful cut scenes, high quality graphics, compelling storyline, pretty music... it has it all. It's challenging but not so much that you find yourself frustrated all the time. Most of the puzzles are very logical... usually it's just a matter of finding the place where you have to put each inventory item. There are a few sticky spots where you might not be sure what to do next, but Gameboomer has a fantastic walkthrough available (just search "Syberia walkthrough" and it's one of the first links that comes up).

I was really and truly impressed with this game. Some people have said it's too short.... I did not think it was short at all! It probably took me more than a dozen hours to finish it. Although granted, I'm not a genius at these kinds of games, I do consider myself pretty savvy... anyway, it held my attention for many, many hours and didn't leave me unsatisfied.

The other complaint I've read is people having download and play issues. I have Vista and had no problem with the download or the gameplay at any time. I was able to save and load the game as many times as I wanted without trouble and it never gave me any error messages. The only precaution I took before downloading the game was to make sure my video and sound drivers were fully updated and that no other programs were running simultaneously when I wanted to run the game.

So, overall.... A+++ game.... really keeps your interest, and it's a pleasure to watch/play. I'd highly recommend it even to those gamers (like me) who have been disappointed with large file point and click adventure games in the past.

crazyfor20
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by crazyfor20 on Jan 8, 09 4:25 AM
I have bought it and downloaded it. I am playing it. I just needed to see how to use the stuff in the inventory. Its not bad so far. I was reading the reviews and from those I decided to try it. Its a large file so I started it before I went to bed and when I got up it was ready to go.

Happy Gaming.

shindy77
Herring
Herring
319 Posts

[Post New]by shindy77 on Jan 8, 09 6:30 AM
By the way, here is one really big helpful hint for those who haven't discovered it yet....

There is a LOT of dialogue in this game. Some of it can get repetitive, and some of the characters are just unnecessarily talkative. There is a way to speed through this.

First, make sure on the game options you have selected "subtitles" as ON. That way all the dialogue appears in text as they talk. Now you can read/skim the dialogue as it's happening... so if it's something you don't need to listen to (like Kate's chatty mother on the phone)... you just right-click and it will skip to the next bit of dialogue. Keep clicking until you get to something you want to hear, or until it simply reaches the end and you can move on. This is a huge time-saver.

This right-click trick also works to skip through cut scenes (if you don't want to watch them, though you really should) and to skip through the opening credit screens to get to the Load game screen.

Also, one other word of wisdom.... there are a LOT of doors that are locked that you will never need to open, and there are a lot of doors that you can never even get close enough to try the handle on. So there is no need to keep going back and rechecking all these doors repeatedly. Even if Kate says "it's locked - but I've got to find a way in"... that doesn't necessarily mean you will ever get in through that door.

The same goes for characters... there are many characters that you need only talk to once. Although you always have the option of talking to them again, they will never add anything new to the story and you won't learn anything from them. Talk to them once and then move on.

If you want a list of which characters you only need to speak to once, highlight the following text with your cursor and it will appear:

The baker on the main road of Valladilene; the old man sitting on the bench on the main road in Valladilene; the woman gardening outside the Voralberg home; the notary in Valladilene (though you will need to revisit his office); the young man standing next to the front steps at the University; the man studying in the University library; the two guys playing chess beside the pool in Aralbad).
Hope this is helpful :-)

Go to: