bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Reviews for Vagrant Hearts

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Sep 13, 11 1:02 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Vagrant Hearts? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

Re:Reviews for Vagrant Hearts

[Post New]by Leemo on Sep 13, 11 3:24 AM
Just finished the trial and am having flashbacks of the Aveyond series of games.
I really enjoyed every one of those and am going to buy this one. All the characters are familiar, plus the landscape. Hope the story is as good as Aveyond.

A game for true adventure players in the old style .

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Sep 13, 11 3:56 AM
I think if you liked the Aveyond series and are a really fan from rpg-games, you should like this game too. Its very charming with a entertaining story. Well done, developers

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 13, 11 6:05 AM
I played this back in April when it was released from Warfare Studios, so I had to look back at my game notes.

Graphically, the game is well-done and RPG fans who enjoy the Aveyond style RPG's should enjoy this as well. I got the old-style snes RPG feeling when playing it. There is some stilted narrative and typos, but the character interraction is good and the crest/spell system solid. So all in all, an enjoyable game. (note: Vagrant Hearts 2 was released in June, 2011).

synthesis1
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by synthesis1 on Sep 13, 11 6:13 AM
I just finished the trial and am really enjoying this game. It is an old-school style rpg, so definitely not for everyone, but I love these type of games for the story and adventure side. For that matter, this game has no tutorial, expecting its players to be familiar with how rpgs work. The story is very well-developed and so far is keeping me wondering what will happen next. On the downside, my guess is that the game developers are not native English speakers. There are a lot of "miswordings/mistranslations," but if you don't let that bother you, the story does really draw you in.

One of the nice things about this rpg is that the monsters are visible, which lets you avoid them if you want. It also lets you collect crests, which, when equipped, give you different magical abilities. One thing I like is that sometimes an area just sparkles, and if you walk up to it and hit space, you get a hidden treasure, which has been a wide variety of different items, equipment, etc.

One odd thing is that your characters do start off with a significant amount of health, much more than is typical, so even if you take a bunch of hits during the first battle area, you are still very healthy.

As for the battles, so far they are actually pretty simple. For those who enjoy the battle aspect more, this might be a little disappointing. However, I don't know if the battles will pick up in "toughness" or not. I would assume so, but the first battles were very easy. I just wacked at the monsters until they died, didn't have to worry about using magic or about healing. Even the "boss" was the same way--just a longer battle. This aspect doesn't bother me so much because I do enjoy the story/adventure part more.

I did discover one glitch, and I'm not sure what caused it. It might have been the fact that I bought and equipped new equipment the day before leaving, or it might just occur no matter what, but, when I left town and started battling right at the beginning, I discovered all my new equipment had disappeared. If anyone figures out what caused this, I'd love to hear. Right now I'm a little paranoid that it will continue to happen, and equipment gets more and more expensive

texgma
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by texgma on Sep 13, 11 7:48 AM
This game is great. I purchased this when it first came out and finished it.
There is a walkthrough for this game on the developers site.
fantastic . i even played this without the walkthrough and again with it to find even more good stuff,
Vagrant hearts 2 is out and I am in the process of finishing it too.
'great job BFG

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Sep 13, 11 8:42 AM
i much prefer old school rpg,s then the realistic looking ones...

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Sep 13, 11 9:17 AM
I am sorry I know I should not put this here as it is not a review.

I have not even downloaded the demo as the style is just not me.

But thank goodness some of you fishes gave it a go before dissing it & it would seem those of you who tried it, enjoyed it. Well done!.

PS, Some of the most fun games I have ever played were old dos abandonware

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 13, 11 9:58 AM
YaHoooooo!

RPG heaven! The sequel is already out (Vagrant Hearts2) but I hadn't even played this one yet (both are $20 from the devs) so, I'm thrilled to see this here on BFG.

hcopter51
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by hcopter51 on Sep 13, 11 10:16 AM
texgma wrote:This game is great. I purchased this when it first came out and finished it.
There is a walkthrough for this game on the developers site.
fantastic . i even played this without the walkthrough and again with it to find even more good stuff,

Ditto...This is one GOOD game.....Everyone should try it......5

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 13, 11 12:33 PM

For those enjoying this game, as am I, another great RPG available on BFG is The Witch and the Warrior. Its a humorous and good story as well as just a great time.

These RPGs are really a big BANG for the money - the gameplay can last days, not hours.

Edited on 09/13/2011 at 12:34:38 PM PST

Teddyfish
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by Teddyfish on Sep 13, 11 3:31 PM
jkuci..

I loved "The Witch and the Warrior" as I love most all RPGs. In fact, I don't believe I've played one that I haven't enjoyed and I've played most all that have been offered on BFG. Some are better than others but still, the not-so-good are often times better than some of the other games offered, in my opinion. And you are so correct, we sure get a big bang for our money with these games, not to mention just a personal gratification of being a part of this experience. I play very slow on purpose (as with all games) cause I just love to adventure out and discover everything offererd in these games.

For my mini-review (just to feel that I can post here legally)...great music...visible monsters and some different things offered just as synthesis1 described in great detail...thanks for your review, BTW.

These RPG games seem to be so few and far between and I do hope all of us RPG lovers will enjoy this one and I'm hoping that some of the other RPG lovers get on board with this one...I rememeber their names from past games and some of the help they gave us...but can't remember exactly the spelling of their names. They know who they are! LOL

I know I haven't given a 'proper' review for this RPG but just wanted to get my two cents worth in for a positive response regarding this BFG offering.

Thanks BFG...perhaps a few more of our cherished RPGs???

I've so enjoyed all the positive response for this game and am looking forward to seeing more...from all the others...and once again...they know who they are!

I don't understand some of the negative response to a game of this nature, the offering for one day. It may not appeal to the masses who love the other games (I do too), but my goodness, we don't get many RPGs guys, and lets spread the love around for all games and not question BFG with such silly questions as to why they are offering this particular game, how very selfish is this?

Happy gaming and swimming in the pond to all (or is this Puget Sound?)

Teddy

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Sep 13, 11 3:42 PM
I dislike this type game hughly! This for small children not adults. Couldn't you make a site especially for this type game and the 3 match games after about 5 minutes it is a bore. I do have a couple but haven't played for over 2 years and won't. Wish there was deleter from history the games you don't want any more.

Edited on 09/13/2011 at 3:45:28 PM PST

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Sep 13, 11 5:01 PM
VTCT wrote:I dislike this type game hughly! This for small children not adults. Couldn't you make a site especially for this type game and the 3 match games after about 5 minutes it is a bore. I do have a couple but haven't played for over 2 years and won't. Wish there was deleter from history the games you don't want any more.

You wanna change my diaper while I play this sucker?

I love these types of games and .....hmmm......I have been described as childlike..(not to often... ..)...despite my driver's license saying otherwise......

hehehehe.....I understand you don't like the game.......different strokes for different folks.....but these types of games have a huge following.....I know a couple of fishies past their prime that might use their depends on you as stink bombs...

Anywho.....I love this game....I wish they had those bookcases like in Aveyond where they had the clever titles.....but otherwise, gameplay wise, and monster wise....it's the wonderful treat we love in our RPG's.....monster's are visible....(huge plus....I hate fighting in the dark....or invisible....and the fighting is standard, and plays nicely without all the wierd hunting like some RPG's....so this is very smooth gameplay wise....the music is intriguing....very relaxing harp type music...(I don't know specific instruments....just that it's very....Zen.... ...)

Anywho....bought it immediately and am enjoying it very thoroughly.....

(i'd use more thumb ups.....but technically I don't have anymore thumbs.... ....)

Anyone who likes this genre....I think will enjoy the humor.....and the action....

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Sep 13, 11 5:26 PM
great review autumn.....i am a old rpger from years back..i love the sprites, i love the storylines and i love the length of rpg,s

Nijimasu
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by Nijimasu on Sep 13, 11 6:57 PM
I've just played the trial so far. It looks like a fairly standard RPG Maker game - perhaps not as polished as some. It appears so far to have a decent variety of environments (you can swim!), enemies and spells. The story appears to be moving along swiftly.

tofinofish
Shark
Shark
13,738 Posts

[Post New]by tofinofish on Sep 13, 11 8:38 PM
what is an RPG?

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 13, 11 9:20 PM
tofinofish wrote:what is an RPG?

Role Playing Game

bodeia
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by bodeia on Sep 14, 11 1:53 AM
As an avid RPGer I've bought and played this when it came out at Warfare Studios as I did with Vagrant Hearts 2 and will with the up and coming Vagrant Hearts 3 can't wait to see how the story progresses. You get a lot of replay out of these games and a story...

I loved the visible monsters b ut if you don't want to have to grind to level it's alway worth fighting them first time.

I must admit though Vagrant Hearts can be a little verbose at times but the humour in it makes it worth reading.

I've also played Ella's Hope, The Witch and the Warrior and every Aveyond game all great games.

btw I'm also well past my prime - positively middle aged me is but I know lots of RPGers who can still beat me in the ages stakes.

Think my grandson would think it really funny if I told him I'd been compared to a child...he's only 6 and would tell me not to be silly as I'm a grown up and can I load the Witch and the Warrior so he can play more... hehehe

Each to their own I say

Edited on 09/14/2011 at 1:53:31 AM PST

[Post New]by emmap27 on Sep 14, 11 7:02 AM
I've bought this, as I trialled it from another website a few months ago but couldn't justify spending the full amount on the game. So thanks Big Fish for adding this to your site. Love these games.

Go to: