cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 15 September 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Sep 15, 11 12:27 AM
Any comments fishes?

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:Todays DD 15 September 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Sep 15, 11 12:48 AM
Great game. A terrific example of a FROG (Fragmented Object Game). Well worth the price. Enjoy.
Cheers

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Sep 15, 11 3:34 AM
This is a Fragmented Hidden Object (FR0G) from Alawar & Vendel Games (love their purring kitten). In the initial scenes in China the graphics are very grainy & are too colourful however once the game moved into other areas the graphics improved & the artwork was the usual beautiful drawing I associate with these game houses.

You are accompanied to each scene by an origami crane that swiftly becomes annoying as you cannot turn off this ‘helper’ who appears each time you encounter something new; however once you get past China this disappears. The screens load very slowly initially but they are connected to each other by special coins that are collected & by clicking these you can move between scenes with ease.

The cursor is beautifully elegant & changes to hand, eye, etc. depending upon what you can do in an area. The hint recharges in 30 seconds & there are no misclick penalties, the mini games are easy at first but soon become harder, there is a skip button.

Some item pieces are extremely well blended into the background & difficult to find & of course some you cannot assemble until you have completed another object. You also collect jewels along the way to charge an amulet.

There are 32 levels & I had just completed four of them & was about to start on 5 & 6 (they opened together) when the trial ended.

Unfortunately due to the difficulty of seeing many of the objects I will not be purchasing but if you have good eyesight this game should last you quite a while & is well worth $2.99

[Post New]by littlegamefisher on Sep 15, 11 4:57 AM
SeaBamboo nicely summarizes and reviews this game but I would say that as someone with extremely poor eyesight, I was challenged at times but ultimately not frustrated looking for some of the harder pieces. I rarely used the hint button.

No doubt this thread will start filling with "I hate FROGs" comments but this is a great FROG and FROG lovers should snap it up at the DD price. It's beautiful and fun. I've completed this and "First Story" and keep hoping "Illusions" will come out as a DD soon.

Happy gaming!

jellow10
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jellow10 on Sep 15, 11 6:34 AM
I was reading comments on another game and someone mentioned how much they enjoyed Magic Encyclopedia. I decided to check it out since I'm always looking for recommendations for other good games. I ended up buying both Magic Encyclopdia games and thoroughly enjoyed them, even though I'm not always a huge FROG fan. So for a DD price, be sure to check this out.

handbells
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by handbells on Sep 15, 11 6:40 AM
I love FROGs and am glad to see positive reviews! Going to buy without even trying first

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

[Post New]by JoyWales on Sep 15, 11 7:29 AM
Yes it is a good game. I just wish they would put up Magic Encyclopedia: Illusions as a DD. The only one I have not got.

[Post New]by hippiefishie on Sep 15, 11 2:28 PM
I'm getting this one. The only bad thing about the game to me is that the left side bar, where your collected items are stored, is way too big and takes up too much of the picture area, but other than that, this a great game for me. It's the only one of the three that I have right now but I'm looking forward to collecting the other two, hopefully I can catch them for $2.99. Thanks .

[Post New]by plantagenet1 on Sep 15, 11 3:04 PM
I'm enjoying this game - haven't gotten beyond the tent, though, because I cannot find the last piece of the pat of butter. I checked the walkthrough. The hint button only indicates going into the tent. Inside the tent, the hint button leads you right back outside. I'm not sure what to do.
Did anyone else notice that the hint button is useless at times?

Okay, I found out (by trial and error) that when the hint button does that back-and-forth thing you need to click on one of the coins in the upper right of the screen, which leads you to another location. Sheesh! I didn't realize that at all...*sheepish look*

Edited on 09/15/2011 at 4:08:06 PM PST

stephensol1
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by stephensol1 on Sep 15, 11 6:35 PM
Too easy. Maybe a good buy for younger children.

Varley
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Varley on Sep 15, 11 9:00 PM
CleoLadyCat, Thank you for the subject!!!! Do you do this every day? I LOVE it! Also, Genkicoll does a list for all the new games. In chit chat corner forum. I believe she does it by month.

These MUST be labors of love! Thanks! And thank you all for your reviews. I'm going to try it.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Sep 16, 11 12:01 AM
I forgot that I had Magic Encyclopedia in my GM. When I checked it out again, I realized that I had really enjoyed it the last time I played it, and had deliberately put the game aside so that I wouldn't finish it too quickly. Of course, I then forgot I had it until I was reminded by today's DD. Since I find the first ME such an enjoyable and relaxing FROG not to mention having nice mini-puzzles, I snapped up today's DD.

[Post New]by sheilamilo on Sep 16, 11 12:39 AM
My 2 complaints are:
- many items are hidden near the border and are very hard to find
- the nearly blank white screen that says "Click Next" is really annoying, both from it's brightness and that you should just go to the next place when you have finished an area.

Also,
I seldom skip puzzles, but I skipped several here just because they were trial and error (flip a million times and you'll get all faces the same). Not my thing.

The story line is decent, and there's plenty of play value.

barbiecats2000
Catfish
Catfish
1,668 Posts

[Post New]by barbiecats2000 on Sep 16, 11 1:02 PM
Just finished this game and I must say that the first one seemed much better to me. I enjoyed this game too but I found the items way to hard to find. While the hint button was generous, I don't like having to click that so many times as I did in the version. The objects were just too difficult to see and I have good eye sight with my glasses.

Some of the mimi games were just too silly for me. They had me clicking here and there with little purpose or strategy. Maybe I'm missing something there as usually I'm quite good at these and enjoy them. Some of the minis were good and could be accomplished with thought but others I just didn't have enough patiences for.

I really like the Magic Encyclopedia series and will buy the next one because all-in-all the Frog type games are fun for me and I enjoy the story line.

Go to: