SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

Comments

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Sep 15, 11 4:51 AM
Forgot it was Thursday. Another dreaded budget bursting, for me anyway, CE. See you tomorrow guys.

So, so sick of not even being able to consider them. No games for those in low or fixed incomes on Thurs. or Sunday anymore.

The rest of you. enjoy.

Edited on 09/15/2011 at 4:54:00 AM PST

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

Re:Comments

[Post New]by cll1950 on Sep 15, 11 5:17 AM
Ditto.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Sep 15, 11 5:51 AM
There is a puzzle game as a soft release today.

As for me, doing my usual, download the CE and
wait for the SE release, then play both demos.
Two hours of free play on that day. I've only
bought two CEs at full price, but did pick up a
few on the sale.

kat1117
Clownfish
Clownfish
956 Posts

[Post New]by kat1117 on Sep 15, 11 6:11 AM
I buy a CE every once in a while if I really love it. Lately though, I have been waiting for the standard editions because I never use any of the bonus extras except the additional game play and the strategy guide. If you are short on funds to buy CE games, there's always the DD or game of the week. Don't forget some of the older games...the list is huge. If you don't like CEs, maybe you should skip looking at the Thursday and Sunday offerings.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

Comments

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 15, 11 6:27 AM
There are so many games on this site and unless your purchase history contains thousands of games, there are still literally hundreds that you can discover.

If you are not the type to go looking on your own and would care for some suggestions based on your particular likes or themes, you can always start a thread in the Chit Chat forum. You will find that people here are always happy to give suggestions on games.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Comments

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 15, 11 6:33 AM
SavemeJack wrote:Forgot it was Thursday. Another dreaded budget bursting, for me anyway, CE. See you tomorrow guys.

So, so sick of not even being able to consider them. No games for those in low or fixed incomes on Thurs. or Sunday anymore.

The rest of you. enjoy.

You will be able to purchase those games when they come out as the SE in a month or so. It`s not as if you can`t ever play this game because it`s a CE, it will change into an SE in a few weeks.

suniris
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

[Post New]by suniris on Sep 15, 11 6:47 AM
IMHO not worth the price of a CE

mini games not a challange, ****'s unable to identify related to language barrier I guess.

a o buy for me
iris

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Sep 15, 11 7:13 AM
I can afford to buy a CE everyday BUT I'm not going to. I guess BF doesn't give a crap about what we the players like. I have been asking for an ADVENTURE game without hidden object scenes for at least a year and never do I get one.I buy allot of games from here and if I leave, you will be losing a big spender.The reason I do buy some hidden object games is because if I didn't , I'd be bored to death because that's all they have here. All the other game sites are pretty much the same as here so you can't even threaten to leave this site. I guess the money is great in selling the type of games BF sells so we are screwed.

Edited on 09/15/2011 at 7:15:02 AM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 15, 11 9:35 AM
Hi hannah!

Many of us would like to see more variety (and I'm with you, pure adventure games are my preference). But alas, BFG sells what developers are making. And developers are making what people are buying. And what the people are primarily buying in the casual game market today is hidden object games.

This year we've seen two notable adventure game developers change former adventure series to hidden object games. So, it's all a sign of what the market will bear and how the developers can afford to support their art.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we can't lay the blame at BFG's door. They don't develop all the games and they don't have power over the developers. But if you send me a PM of the adventure games you've played (here or elsewhere) maybe I can send you a list of others to try (from here or other sources).

jfog
Clownfish
Clownfish
991 Posts

[Post New]by jfog on Sep 15, 11 4:04 PM
There are a bunch of web site for buying and downloading full length adventure games. The Adventure Shop has a great current selection. gog.com (good old games) has current plus classic games like all of the Gabriel Knights updated to play on Windows XP, Vista and 7. Telltale Games has done a great job with the new Sam and Max and Monkey Island games plus others like The Whispered World and Jack Keene. Those are my favorite sites but I'm sure there are lots more. I love BFG and buy a lot of games for myself and my grandchildren but there are lots of options for whatever your gaming preference is. I love games. Do some research.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Sep 15, 11 6:16 PM
Everyone has been very nice in replies to SavemeJack, a good friend of mine. The main thing I'm worried about is we started out with 1 CE a month, then 2, then 1 every Thursday, now 2 a week. The devs seem to have jumped on the cash cow and are now pumping them out like pups in puppy mills. Now I wonder how long it will be before the CE is the rule and the SEs only is a thing of the past.

As far as the SE coming out soon, the wait for the SE is always much too long. So much so that many people don't even remember it was released already as a CE. Also, I don't see many fixes anymore on CEs and therefore SEs as of late. It seems, the money is made and the quality bypassed. So many are pumped out like bad pennies from a faulty stamp and we are told it's our machines and not the game. Look at the posts. Many newer games have more pages of tech complaints than reviews, which are now mainly complaints of lengthy downloads.

I'm just a gamer but it seems the huge sales from the CEs are ruining the quality of our games. I myself have had to retune more games to live CS in the last few months than I ever did before. So many of the games are ridiculously short in real game play with abrupt, confusing endings, it's like the devs have done them on their coffee breaks from their "real jobs". I have read many posts, especially in CE threads about feeling cheated.

Now, granted, this is a blanket statement. Many fine games have been released by devs who still seem to care about US, the gamers. I'm am, yes, a worry wart at times but this is one of my main form of entertainment besides reading. I don't watch much TV at all besides Public TV, too many reality shows and such for me. I have been playing comp. games for decades now (my first comp. had no hard drive, just disks to run off and dos games). I have other sources for games. It's just that for some time BF has been my mainstay of available games. A company I felt I could always count on and my confidence in them has slipped since the merger. Don't even get me started on the Game Mangler.

Just one gamers' opinion. Off the soap box now. Game on.

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Sep 16, 11 12:40 PM
Sorry to have started my own little "pity party" here, but it's been a rough couple of years and I'm just plain tired of being broke all the time. I canceled my membership to BFG about 2 years ago after my daughter died. Just could not go back to playing games that we both enjoyed playing together.

When I recently returned, I noticed the change immediately. Maybe a lot of you have not been here that long. First, it amazes me that almost every new game of the day is a CE at a price I won't pay for "wallpaper." But people must have money to buy these which obviously they do as they are all the top sellers on this site. Then they wait the 2 to 3 mos for the SE and buy that one, too?? I don't understand this. Is it not the same game?

Don't get me wrong. After being gone for 2 years, I can easily find SE's and regular editions of games I didn't play during that time. But as "CLL" says, the developers continue to come out with big hits (like the last Puppetshow, or MCF) that I won't even buy for the SE price they are so terrible.

Guess it's the new American Way - screw 'em if you can, and make money off it in the process. I have found a lot of new regular games that are interesting, challenging, and fun to play on this site - no problem. Enjoy your games if you can afford them. Don't go into debt just to buy the latest CE.

Edited on 09/16/2011 at 12:44:17 PM PST

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Sep 16, 11 6:59 PM
Ditto, good friend. (Hey,Jack)

Go to: