cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 16 September 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Sep 16, 11 12:02 AM
Any comments fishes?

JerryInWales
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

Re:Todays DD 16 September 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by JerryInWales on Sep 16, 11 4:07 AM
I've done about 1/2 hour of the demo, and so far I'm not very impressed. It's confusing that the sparkles indicate things that can be moved, but (because it's a scrolling list of things to find) you often can't use the revealed object.

It's good that several of the scenes so far have had extra sub-scenes (the usual arrows pointing off-screen) which continue the search list for the main screen - in most games moving off-screen starts a new search list. It didn't seem that off-screen finds were highlighted: in many games if an item is not visible on the main screen the name is in blue or something.

When I exited from the game it did not save the exact state: it was back to the start of the search.

Did not try sound. Subtitles seemed OK and cut scenes could be skipped.

On exit the game tries to give a long "trailer" for what is yet to come, but this can be skipped. Hints recharged quickly and were able to show if the item was on a sub-screen.

shasha2966
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by shasha2966 on Sep 16, 11 7:58 AM
I have been looking at DD's and going into the forums. There are always more negative responses for these games than positive. Does BF ever put better games out for the DD? It looks like BF's DD's are games that don't sell well and have a lot of glitches.

Mamalita
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by Mamalita on Sep 16, 11 8:19 AM
I buy primarily DDs. I have found many excellent games. The Daily Deal is also used to promote games that will soon have a sequel coming out. It is also a good way to try out a different kind of game than what you are used to playing.

jellow10
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jellow10 on Sep 16, 11 8:21 AM
I have purchased a lot of really good games as DDs. Some are not very old at all and some are VERY old games, but that doesn't mean they're not fun. The same with the COTW. In fact, many times I'm disappointed when I check on Mondays because I will have already purchased the game. This week's COTW, Elixir of Immortality. was actually a DD in July or August, but unfortunately I bought it when it was first released. Think of the DD as a "grab bag"--you never know when you might find a real gem.

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Sep 16, 11 8:40 AM
shasha2966 wrote: I have been looking at DD's and going into the forums. There are always more negative responses for these games than positive. Does BF ever put better games out for the DD? It looks like BF's DD's are games that don't sell well and have a lot of glitches.

Hello Shasha, and welcome to the Forum.

I saw your question about the Dailly Deal games. Just thought I'd let you know that I have purchased many excellent games as Daily Deals at Big Fish. However, I have noticed that most of the DD offerings are older games (approximately a year or two old, and some even older than that). Because of this, some of them do not contain the most modern gaming technology. But I love having the option of a different game for $2.99 every day of the week. One of the first things I do most mornings is look to see what Daily Deal game is being offered.

I've also picked up some great games at $2.99 in the Catch of the Week. Lately, it seems the offerings there have been more appealing than the DD offerings. (Unfortunately for me, many of the COTW offerings this year have been games I already own.)

Happy gaming!

Classicaljazz

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Sep 16, 11 10:18 AM
Classicaljazz said everything I would say about the Daily Deals. I look forward to them and have found some games I've missed in the past. I also get to get them at a greatly reduced price.

As for this game, I found it to be very dry and boring. The story was alright and the different ways to find the hidden objects was good. I only did the puzzle minigame but I assume the other minigames will be enjoyable also.

The problem with this game is it doesn't make sense to me. I have no idea what the woman is doing. Is she doing a story on Bigfoot, chasing treasure or just wandering around? What is her purpose? Anyway, the inane running from here to there, back home and everywhere just got on my nerves. I hope she gets where she is supposed to be sometime in this century.

To all of you who managed to finish this game, congratulations. I will never know the secret of Bigfoot. Not even for $2.99. It seems to be a very nice game but the senselessness of the main character's actions is annoying.

I give this game

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Sep 16, 11 11:09 AM
shasha2966 wrote: I have been looking at DD's and going into the forums. There are always more negative responses for these games than positive. Does BF ever put better games out for the DD? It looks like BF's DD's are games that don't sell well and have a lot of glitches.

DD works for my limited budget. I always have more on my wish list than
I can afford and have gotten some great bargains this way.
It doesn't bother me if it's an older game, but I've been noticing
more and more lately that are less than a year old. They're not
all great or even good, and true some real stinkers, but yes,
some really top-notch games do make the DD list.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 16, 11 12:04 PM

I remember buying this when it was new and shiny. It was enjoyable, at the time.

It may be a little dated now but its worth the DD price, IMHO.

[Post New]by ManatiPuertoRico on Sep 16, 11 12:39 PM
Just downloading, I have to agree with many of you some of the best games have been DD's. When I find conflicting information in the forum about a game I always try it and then make the decision if I’m going to buy it or not. Sometimes what I like is different from what others like, and at a whooping price of $2.99 is hard to beat. In addition, you get your card punched and then you can get another game for FREE!!!

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Sep 16, 11 1:38 PM
I'm with jkuci on this game - it is well worth $2.99 IMO & a buy for me.

The prologue is funny; watch the subtitles underneath the newcaster . There are voiceovers & I thought they suited the characters; some of the dialogue can be clicked through if you wish.

The graphics are clean & bright; the artwork is really nice, the music could be better but I liked the background noises. The screens are a little slow to load but not really a problem. There was a black band down each side of my widescreen.

This is a straight H0 but not just lists; you have to find objects from both a list & from silhouettes & keep an eye out for arrows to go to another scene as you have to move around to find them. Some of the objects can be very small so I had to do a bit of squinting.

The mini games are fun & weren't too difficult during the demo hour.

There are sparkles for objects of interest & rather a lot of hand holding in regard to objectives. The hint button recharges in around 1 minute.

As you go through the game you unlock Top Secret pages which give you the usual information about Bigfoot; later you can also unlock some of the Art Concepts which I am looking forward to.

Edited on 09/16/2011 at 1:45:33 PM PST

neola
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by neola on Sep 16, 11 3:58 PM
Yeah, Seabamboo! The newscast subtitles are a hoot. I've been playing for well over an hour now and enjoying the game. It's a tad different from regular HOGs. Because of all the negative comments, I almost didn't bother to even demo it, but I did and found myself hooked. For $3 it's pretty good and the mini games, while not overly complex, are fun. My only problem/complaint is that the demo ran full screen while the full download is running in a much smaller window, which definitely makes finding stuff a challenge. Guess I need to look at the Tech postings to see if I have company on this and there's a fix. But I really don't think it deserves the many negative comments. The graphics aren't all that bad and lots of the storyline is very humorous. Glad I ignored the bad words and leaped on in. But to each his/her own.

crazy8club
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by crazy8club on Sep 16, 11 4:11 PM
Why should someone pay for the same game twice. I have played this game all the way to the very end. Seems weird.

LYNNEWHITNEY
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by LYNNEWHITNEY on Sep 16, 11 6:26 PM

This game is Grrrrrrrrrrrreat !! I love when the hidden objects are "hidden" behind something you have to click on and it slides aside to reveal the object - FUN! Graphics are clear and the scenes are beautiful with just the right amount of natural movement and ambient sound. Also, there are actual characters whose voice and pix are visible and the "big foot shadow" is wonderfully startling. So far there is more than one scene in each "object" list and there are several "tasks" (ex: use matches to light fire) but none of them are too hard to master although I have had to use the hint twice - which easily provides the clear answer. Don't know how long this game lasts but I hope it's forever! Definitely a buy for me! Thanks Big Fish!

P.S. Congrats to the Marketing team at BF on the pop-up during "buy it" which shows a special deal on another game - $3.99 instead of $6.99 with a timer counting down from 3 (?) minutes for you to decide - but also provides a video clip of the game to help you decide. I like it.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Sep 16, 11 9:29 PM
It is funny how one's perception of a game can change over time. I remember playing this when it first came out and simply detesting it. It just felt disjointed and the storyline wasn't very interesting. I am a true animal lover, but I wasn't distrubed my the scene with the animals because they were all rescued. Still, the game wasn't for me.

I demoed it again, on my notebook, and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. I got to the first scene in chapter four in my hour demo and from the walkthrough, there appears to still be a lot left to go. This time, the scene with the animals never showed up. Instead it skipped to the vehicle on the side of the road. So, if anyone is put off by the animal scene, know that it has been removed.....at least it was for me.

As a DD, I think this is a good deal. No, it can't really compare to the more recent games with newer technology and whistles and bangs, but it does have its own merits and for $2.99, a decent length.

Go to: