TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by TeamSD on Sep 17, 11 12:13 AM
It's Elephant Games so I know what I could expect, they never made me disappointing!

Well, i'm quite surprised to see that this game release as SE cuz Elephant Games never ever release any SE game since The Void. The quality of this game also should be a CE, but it's great to see SE game which is FANTASTIC!

Graphics and animations are awesome as i expected, i really liked the story - it's fresh and really interesting! The characters are very well drawn, even though the bad guy is a bit similar to the bad guy in Raincliff - but that's not the point anyway Music and sound effects are suit the atmosphere, HOG scenes are easy and you can random clicking just like other games from the dev (but there're no achievements in this game!). Puzzles are fun so far and the gameplay is on the easy side!

What i can see that's different than other Elephant Games is that there's a MAP! We all know that all games from this dev including lots and back and forth. The dev finally know that most of us don't like that, so they've including an interactive map for us. It tells you what to do, where to go and you can skip to that place right on the map - really useful!

After 25 mins into the demo, i know it's a definite BUY for me - if you're looking for a SE game with CE quality, this is the one!!!

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Story: A*
Music: A*
Puzzles: A
HOG Scenes: A
Fun: A*
Gameplay: A
Overall: A*

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Edited on 09/17/2011 at 9:11:57 AM PST


 
sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

Re:Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by sassylassie on Sep 17, 11 12:26 AM
Bigger than some of the CE's we have seen of late. But I will have to hold off as I am beta testing an RPG right now from start to finish.

Edited on 09/17/2011 at 12:27:40 AM PST


 
grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

Re:Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by grannyq on Sep 17, 11 12:28 AM
I played a little bit, enough to know I like it. I like Elephant games and when I saw that they were the dev's, I was pretty sure this game would be a buy.

 
Sportspaz1449
Minnow
Minnow
294 Posts

Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by Sportspaz1449 on Sep 17, 11 12:35 AM
TeamSD wrote:It's Elephant Games so I know what I could expect, but WHAT A BIG GAME!!!


Hi TeamSD!

I am a huge fan of elephant games myself, just curious if by "big," you mean a long game? I'm "goin'in" to download it now! I hope it works on my pc!

I hope so! I just finished yesterday's game-Twisted Lands: Insomniac-and I was very pleased by not only the length, but the game as a whole!

Thank you for your reply, and I hope that I am not being insulting in any way-that is so NOT my intension!

SSPAZ~

PS-Just curious, as a sports nut-well, spaz!, I was wondering if the name you go by stands for team San Diego? As in the Chargers-or Padres????

 
TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by TeamSD on Sep 17, 11 12:42 AM
Sportspaz1449 wrote:
TeamSD wrote:It's Elephant Games so I know what I could expect, but WHAT A BIG GAME!!!


Hi TeamSD!

I am a huge fan of elephant games myself, just curious if by "big," you mean a long game? I'm "goin'in" to download it now! I hope it works on my pc!

I hope so! I just finished yesterday's game-Twisted Lands: Insomniac-and I was very pleased by not only the length, but the game as a whole!

Thank you for your reply, and I hope that I am not being insulting in any way-that is so NOT my intension!

SSPAZ~

PS-Just curious, as a sports nut-well, spaz!, I was wondering if the name you go by stands for team San Diego? As in the Chargers-or Padres????


Nope, i mean the SIZE of the game - it's nearly 1GB, haven't finish downloading it yet!

 

Re:Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Sep 17, 11 1:16 AM
Finaly a game that's not a CE. I played the demo and I like it very much. The puzzles are not difficult. The **** scene are good to see.

I like EG too!

 
sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

Re:Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by sunidayz on Sep 17, 11 1:22 AM
I enjoyed playing this demo , disappointed when I came to the end of the demo with 20 mins left to spare. The graphics, music and gameplay were all good . The ****'s were clear enough and the mini games were okay. This makes 2 games in a row (2 days in a row) that I really liked . It will be getting expensive around here! I would rate this a 9 out of 10.

 
JudyAlex
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

Re:Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by JudyAlex on Sep 17, 11 1:27 AM
I also downloaded and played the demo......and I like it, too. I will probably buy it tomorrow....got to get to bed now

 
Sportspaz1449
Minnow
Minnow
294 Posts

Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by Sportspaz1449 on Sep 17, 11 1:27 AM
TeamSD wrote:
Sportspaz1449 wrote:
TeamSD wrote:It's Elephant Games so I know what I could expect, but WHAT A BIG GAME!!!


Hi TeamSD!

I am a huge fan of elephant games myself, just curious if by "big," you mean a long game? I'm "goin'in" to download it now! I hope it works on my pc!

I hope so! I just finished yesterday's game-Twisted Lands: Insomniac-and I was very pleased by not only the length, but the game as a whole!

Thank you for your reply, and I hope that I am not being insulting in any way-that is so NOT my intension!

SSPAZ~

PS-Just curious, as a sports nut-well, spaz!, I was wondering if the name you go by stands for team San Diego? As in the Chargers-or Padres????


Nope, i mean the SIZE of the game - it's nearly 1GB, haven't finish downloading it yet!


WOW! Good gravy! I can't wait to see if I can play it! Sounds like a winner to me!
Thanks so much!
I hope it downloads quickly for you....I have found that if I minimize the game manager-it downloads MUCH quicker than when in full screen-and the same when it gets to the "installing" part-where you have to wait for the "ok" part!
I hope that helps you as well! OH, and I read from someone in a different forum-that if you set your pc/laptop to shut down to " NEVER," it speeds up the downloading/installing process! I did just that, and it sped up the process by a very large margin!
"I'm Goin' In!"

SSPAZ!

 
sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

Re:Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by sinshack on Sep 17, 11 1:29 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:Finaly a game that's not a CE. I played the demo and I like it very much. The puzzles are not difficult. The **** scene are good to see.

I like EG too!


I certainly agree with you, Dobbie! I picked up 8 (coun't 'em, 8!!) punch card credits last month, due to the wonderful CE sale, so I've been kind of desperate. This is only the 2nd HOG SE this month that wasn't previously released as a CE, and since I almost always buy the CEs that was leaving me with nothing to buy. With 2 CEs a week now, plus an average of 2 SE versions of the previous CEs, that leaves only 3 potential days for new games to spend our punch card credits on - and fans of the other genres need their games, too.

Anyway, back to the actual review. Great graphics, lots of places to visit. I like the fact that the different locations don't all look alike - I know that sounds weird, but you probably know what I mean. I am one of those who don't mind the sparkles, and I don't mind wearing out a few pair of sneakers. After playing several "find the boyfriend (or uncle, or grandfather, or dad) games in the past few weeks while I catch up on all those CE's I bought, it's kind of refreshing to search for several people I don't know and I'm not related to.

It is a huge download, though, so it does take forever. If you have limited data downloading, keep that in mind. ENJOY!!

 
Sportspaz1449
Minnow
Minnow
294 Posts

Re:Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by Sportspaz1449 on Sep 17, 11 1:30 AM
JudyAlex wrote:I also downloaded and played the demo......and I like it, too. I will probably buy it tomorrow....got to get to bed now


Good night JudyAlex-
Thanks for letting us know that you enjoyed the demo-I can't wait to do the same, just hope that I can play it-some of the new games just won't play on my pc....

But, with all of the games that Felix aka: has to offer, I am happy that most do!

SSPAZ

 
Sportspaz1449
Minnow
Minnow
294 Posts

Re:Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by Sportspaz1449 on Sep 17, 11 1:33 AM
sinshack wrote:
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:Finaly a game that's not a CE. I played the demo and I like it very much. The puzzles are not difficult. The **** scene are good to see.

I like EG too!


I certainly agree with you, Dobbie! I picked up 8 (coun't 'em, 8!!) punch card credits last month, due to the wonderful CE sale, so I've been kind of desperate. This is only the 2nd HOG SE this month that wasn't previously released as a CE, and since I almost always buy the CEs that was leaving me with nothing to buy. With 2 CEs a week now, plus an average of 2 SE versions of the previous CEs, that leaves only 3 potential days for new games to spend our punch card credits on - and fans of the other genres need their games, too.

Anyway, back to the actual review. Great graphics, lots of places to visit. I like the fact that the different locations don't all look alike - I know that sounds weird, but you probably know what I mean. I am one of those who don't mind the sparkles, and I don't mind wearing out a few pair of sneakers. After playing several "find the boyfriend (or uncle, or grandfather, or dad) games in the past few weeks while I catch up on all those CE's I bought, it's kind of refreshing to search for several people I don't know and I'm not related to.

It is a huge download, though, so it does take forever. If you have limited data downloading, keep that in mind. ENJOY!!


Thanks sinshack! I'm going to delete alot of files that we use even just looking at reviews etc! Just to make room!
( I LOVE CCleaner just for that reason alone!)
SSPAZ

 
rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

Re:Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by rlk0045 on Sep 17, 11 1:33 AM
I do not care for games by elephant games. I'm still upset with the problems I had with their game Hallowed Legends - Samhain Collector's Edition.

 
Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

Re:Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by Raska on Sep 17, 11 1:48 AM
At last a good game at a "bigfish" price... because I'm tired of the policy bigfish is following for a while now : crap for one coupon and a good little game (I call it small, since you cannot compare with real adventure games) for two coupons... I will never buy one of those CE games..I don't need those extra's or a bit of an extra game that doesn't fit in the game itself or that does fit, but was cut from the original game, just to make it more expensive !
Please bigfish, don't forget that hog are 4 or 5 hours of playing with at least 2 hours of looking for stupid objects...
So, thank you for this game !
Raska

 
shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

Re:Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by shorenuf on Sep 17, 11 2:14 AM
Well -- suddenly the demo hour was over. Guess that says something for the game.

Definitely a HOPA. One mode of play (sparkles), so a bit more direction than you might like. But I can tell you, even with the interactive map to take you directly from location to location, you can get lost in this Maze.

The story: A reality game show called The Maze is airing its final episode of the season. The show stops airing due to "technical difficulties" but none of the contestants arrive back home. You are sent on the case to find out what happened to them.

The game is much about the story -- I certainly got caught up in it! As for the rest -- the H0G scenes are standard, the puzzles so far pretty simple, they look a tad familiar actually. The studio is a creepy place -- the artwork and music fit the mood. I wish it were widescreen.

When you click on things you get helpful commentary. There is also a diary that saves important clues. The map indicates where you are, where you can do something right away, and where you should return again later. With all that, there is still a lot to remember. You do feel as if you are turned around and a bit lost at times.

I do strongly recommend the demo. It's hard to tell exactly how long the game is. My current map says level one, and I still have several tasks. There is probably another level, maybe more given the size of the DL. I will use a punch card for this game -- it is far better than DD quality. And, it's an SE.

 
jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 17, 11 2:22 AM
The story is a little bizzare and the opening music was horrible. I never turn off the game music but I had to at the start of this game.

It gets better.

I'm a big fan of games with a good story and this isn't that (based on the demo, only) but the gameplay is really great and reeled me after a couple of H0 scenes and some puzzles as well as the inventory item use for problem solving.

The interactive map is fantastic! It shows where you still do something and clicking on an area takes you right there.

I had no technical problems.

This is a BIG BUY for me, based on the demo.



 
LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Sep 17, 11 2:56 AM
I beta tested this game and really liked it. It's very different then what's been offered lately. It is challenging, but in a good way. I really like the story and the mystery of it. This is a must have for me. And for sure everyone should check it out. Enjoy! I know I will.


 
Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 17, 11 3:08 AM
Elephant Games don`t have the best of graphics - rather grainy - but gameplay is really great.

I played the trial version (had 3 minutes to spare, but only because I used the Map to see where I had things to do and jumped there instead of going on a hunt and walk).

I enjoyed the hour I played. Great gameplay, nice puzzles, HINT button recharges within half a minute, and SKIP button also doesn`t take all that long to charge.

I love the map, telling me where I am, where I can do something now, and where things can still be done later on. And I can jump to the various places - very nice.

Well, this is definitely a buy for me.

ETA: I now played some more of the game and, as I said, although the graphics are grainy, the game itself is interesting and fun.

HOWEVER... I really don`t like most of the H0 scenes. Firstly, because they are also terribly grainy AND junkpiles, it`s quite difficult to see the objects I need to find.
On top of that, some objects also have the same grey shade as the background and/or are stuck in the back and appear a little fuzzy, which means I can`t clearly see the object.

For goodness` sake... please give the games better graphics, especially in the H0 scenes, and stop making the H0 scenes junkpiles. They really spoil it for me in the games.

Edited on 09/17/2011 at 5:56:27 AM PST


 
dakini
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

Re:Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by dakini on Sep 17, 11 3:27 AM
Just finished my hour (I should know better than to look at the game I just downloaded before bed time).

Probably just finished chapter one.

I loved the mini games and some of the action scenes just blew me away they were so pretty.

Only complaint some of the **** list words were almost unreadable. I realize they didn't want to take up too much space in the scene but the combination of font and size was a bit challenging sometimes.

Ran fine on my older iMac running Lion.


 
Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

Re:Reviews for Urban Legends: The Maze

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Sep 17, 11 4:30 AM
shorenuf wrote:Well -- suddenly the demo hour was over. Guess that says something for the game.

Definitely a HOPA. One mode of play (sparkles), so a bit more direction than you might like. But I can tell you, even with the interactive map to take you directly from location to location, you can get lost in this Maze.

The story: A reality game show called The Maze is airing its final episode of the season. The show stops airing due to "technical difficulties" but none of the contestants arrive back home. You are sent on the case to find out what happened to them.

The game is much about the story -- I certainly got caught up in it! As for the rest -- the H0G scenes are standard, the puzzles so far pretty simple, they look a tad familiar actually. The studio is a creepy place -- the artwork and music fit the mood. I wish it were widescreen.

When you click on things you get helpful commentary. There is also a diary that saves important clues. The map indicates where you are, where you can do something right away, and where you should return again later. With all that, there is still a lot to remember. You do feel as if you are turned around and a bit lost at times.

I do strongly recommend the demo. It's hard to tell exactly how long the game is. My current map says level one, and I still have several tasks. There is probably another level, maybe more given the size of the DL. I will use a punch card for this game -- it is far better than DD quality. And, it's an SE.


Great review, shorenuf, thank you. After reading it, I decided to give the trial a whirl. We have another rainy day coming up here, so I'm looking forward to a little game play.

I loved, loved, loved Samhain, thought the graphics were beautiful and the storyline/game play really good. On the whole, I've liked Elephant Games.

 
 
 
 
Go to: