Do you like the SG?

uwflossi
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

Do you like the SG?

[Post New]by uwflossi on Sep 18, 11 7:20 AM
I this game but the SG is not my taste. I am German and sometimes I need pictures to understand what to do/to find. Rooms etc. But the hint button is a real help to me. Nevertheless, happy gaming to all Fishies.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Do you like the SG?

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 18, 11 7:56 AM
I thought the SG was a bit on the weak side. You can`t see the whole of the game, and only get the immediate areas where you are and where you have to do something.

Not to my taste, but I hardly ever use the SG anyway - the HINT button will help as well if you are stuck, and so does the map. So for me, the SG is needless.

Hoffe du hast einen schönen Sonntag.

Edited on 09/18/2011 at 7:57:37 AM PST

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Sep 18, 11 8:15 AM
I agree about the strategy guide being weak. I am not impressed with it and prefer the screenshots. If the puzzles are on the difficult side, a screen shot of the solution is needed in a SG especially if you are paying the premium price of a CE. I like to figure out the puzzles as much as I can but if I get stuck, I need a solution to get me through. I hate just skipping a puzzle unless it is absolutely necessary. You may ask, why don't I just skip it as opposed to looking at the solution? Well by looking at the solution, it helps me understand how to do the puzzle for future reference when the puzzle is used again in other games.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 18, 11 8:38 AM
KBEAR2045 wrote:You may ask, why don't I just skip it as opposed to looking at the solution? Well by looking at the solution, it helps me understand how to do the puzzle for future reference when the puzzle is used again in other games.

That`s how I see it too. Sometimes I come across a puzzle that I just haven`t got a clue how to even start. Not that I can`t do it, but don`t know how to start and what to do in order to get it going. So what I do then is look at a walkthrough, just to see what I was suppose to do, and then I am able (or not) to do the puzzle.

shadowandzeke
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by shadowandzeke on Sep 18, 11 9:55 AM
For the puzzles I use the info ? button. It tells you how to play the puzzle and the objective.

crazy8club
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by crazy8club on Sep 18, 11 10:06 AM
I found it worthless too. I also hate the fact that it takes 30 Minutes of game play so there goes the trial play period. I would rather have a walkthrough for this type of game. much ieasier to use when you hit an obsticle.

Pertigal
Shark
Shark
10,783 Posts

[Post New]by Pertigal on Sep 18, 11 2:05 PM
shadowandzeke wrote:For the puzzles I use the info ? button. It tells you how to play the puzzle and the objective.

The info button is not always enough to understand. And sometimes it's not there. I like that they don't want to give it all away when a hint might do, but sometimes I need ANOTHER hint, lol.

pecabo1338
Clownfish
Clownfish
549 Posts

[Post New]by pecabo1338 on Sep 18, 11 2:37 PM
I'm waiting for a walkthrough for this utterly useless strategy guide with zero pictures. I've gotten so many 30 minute penalties that I've lost count. This is in the easy mode mind you.

Take the egg puzzle - I had the 6 eggs in their proper places and nothing happened.

It looked like I needed the 7th egg for the center. Anyhow I pushed everywhere and nothing happened. So I was forced to skip this relatively easy puzzle - I thought.

Then that engine puzzle - everything is right till it's all wrong!!!!!!!!

How the heck am I going to get back to the toy store or the tavern?

Where on earth is the stinking ROYAL BEDROOM?? I need to go there for the robots heart. By accident I found the room off the courtyard.

None of this stuff is in the guide. Nothing is in the guide.

This is the worst strategy guide in the history of Collectors Editions!!!!!!!!

And I'm going to turn of the sounds after the woman keeps telling me to look at the map. I'm sick of her voice.

This could have one of the best Hidden Object Games EVER. The guide ruined it.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Sep 18, 11 5:12 PM
pecabo1338 wrote:I'm waiting for a walkthrough for this utterly useless strategy guide with zero pictures. I've gotten so many 30 minute penalties that I've lost count. This is in the easy mode mind you.

Take the egg puzzle - I had the 6 eggs in their proper places and nothing happened.

It looked like I needed the 7th egg for the center. Anyhow I pushed everywhere and nothing happened. So I was forced to skip this relatively easy puzzle - I thought.

Then that engine puzzle - everything is right till it's all wrong!!!!!!!!

How the heck am I going to get back to the toy store or the tavern?

Where on earth is the stinking ROYAL BEDROOM?? I need to go there for the robots heart. By accident I found the room off the courtyard.

None of this stuff is in the guide. Nothing is in the guide.

This is the worst strategy guide in the history of Collectors Editions!!!!!!!!

And I'm going to turn of the sounds after the woman keeps telling me to look at the map. I'm sick of her voice.

This could have one of the best Hidden Object Games EVER. The guide ruined it.

I agree! I am really disappointed in the strategy guide. I hope the developers will pay attention and give us an improved one with pictures in their next game!

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Sep 18, 11 7:00 PM
I liked the strategy guide since it opens up to exactly what part you need to complete to move on. Gives you just enough to get started. The minigame instructions worked well for me, but I can see how if English isn't your native tongue it might be a little more confusing to figure out what they want you to do. Now if it was a pure adventure game, I need a walkthrough, step by step with pictures, videos etc. etc. etc.
BTW: Game was fantastic, funny, sweet and shocking

[Post New]by Blooming_Lilac on Sep 18, 11 10:43 PM
I don't care for the SG at all. In a CE, I like having a walkthrough. It would be nice to see my progress in the game (not just how long I've been playing).

Too bad there are no bonus achievements. It would be a major plus to be able to click on the map to return to other scenes.

So far, I do like the game.

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Sep 18, 11 10:50 PM
I agree with the majority here. The SG is weak in my opinion. It often does not give the information that you are looking for and leaves you feeling frustrated. I have played other games with this type of SG and do not think too much of them.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Sep 18, 11 11:16 PM
Loved the game but.... the SG is really bad. It is not what I like in a SG. For the price of a CE some people like me need a full walkthrough.

Not sure if I am going to purchase this great game because I know I will get stuck and there isnt enough help in the SG.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Sep 19, 11 1:22 AM
I liked the idea of the SG, hints for specific tasks. The idea being not to give you spoilers for other tasks, which going through a walkthrough does. And sometimes it worked.
But then other times it did exactly what it was trying to avoid. Sometimes the item I was wanting help with didn't appear in the SG, it was under another column. So I had to go through all the helps thus reading all spoilers.

Also some of the puzzles I would have liked a screenshot or more help in the explanation. For example the mounted animal heads, I missed that I had a photo in my journal.
If they could do both that would be great - a straight walkthrough and a progressive hint guide.
I was disappointed with it.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Sep 19, 11 1:29 AM
Hi there,
I checked out the SG for this game, and whilst I agree with the premise of the OP that graphics are better for non-english speaking players, I really liked this one as it gave clues to your problem at the time and did not necessarily give you the full answer or enable you to inadvertently see other infomation.
The Help button on the Adventure mode, as indicated when you chose it, was basically useless as it only referred you to the Journal or the Map.
Cheers

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Sep 19, 11 2:22 PM
I'm afraid I have to agree. This SG is the type to be added to SE games, not CE's

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Sep 19, 11 2:54 PM
I didn't like it either. I had a little problem at the very end of the Bonus play. I got kicked out of the fight with the witch, I couldn't figure out what to do and all the SG and even the Hint would say is "explore other places" and I could not go to the "other places." I finally figured it out but I was beginning to think there was a Bug.

I did not use it much but it seemed that when I was really stuck the only info was "explore other places" or "use the map" both of which i had already tried.

This is one of the poorer SGs. The only ones that have been worse were ones which used the Hint timer to get an answer (in an SG which was similar to this one) and you had to wait a minute for it to recharge before trying again and clicked on a multi-layered, nested answer.. I don't remember the game but i think there were two like that. When i was really stuck it sometimes took 5 min. or more to get a full answer.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Sep 19, 11 3:07 PM
peeshee_1951 wrote:I liked the strategy guide since it opens up to exactly what part you need to complete to move on....

Actually it did not! There is a lack of linearity in some spots. Once I did something out of order and did not know what to do next. All the Guide would do is give me hints about how to do what I had already done. I was in the location the map showed so that "look at the map" hint was totally useless. I fiddled around for maybe 5 minutes clicking on everything and going from location to location before i finally discovered what to do, no thanks to the SG or the Hint system. I have forgotten exactly how this went but I was in the Throne room area and I needed to gather things to make the Wand. i had gathered some of them and placed them on the pentagram but something was missing.

With a poor SG and no walkthrough, you could get stuck and never finish the game.

JPCarol
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by JPCarol on Sep 19, 11 10:48 PM
I totally agree that the SG is vitually useless. I am totally stuck at a point that the guide doesn't even mention. I also agree that if I do skip a puzzle, I want to see the solution. I really expect more from a Collector's Edition than I am getting in this game.

Edited on 09/19/2011 at 10:48:56 PM PST

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Sep 20, 11 4:56 AM
i agree totally with others fishies!i'm stuck with the dart board puzzle for i never,never had any poster to show the score!i have a poster which shows help for rising the statues,but nowhere the poster of score!and i have pixeled the whole scene!and the hint given are all for solving the statue puzzle(i don't need!!!!) and nothing about that i want!so this game is a great great disapointment!i must wait untill somebody will make a true solution,ans waiting when i have bought is ....well, bad joke!
this game loose for me two stars for its inept SG

Edited on 09/20/2011 at 4:58:18 AM PST

Go to: