TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Reviews for Mystery of the Ancients: Lockwood Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by TeamSD on Sep 22, 11 12:53 AM
The game is very good and that's all it can get! Graphics are dark and clear for me, not grainy. Puzzles are easy but quite fun and the game is on the easy side. Story is pretty simple but there're lots of reading throughout the gameplay (why some people will lost so many of their diary's pages???) HOG scenes are quite easy and you can random clicking but there're too many of them. I loved the music in this game, it suits the atmosphere and i really like the violin sounds (if it's violin, i've no sense at music), but why in all those animations that should be exciting, music are the same or even no music! No voice overs and the actions are quite slow and lazy? I found the game quite boring after playing for a while, disappointed of this CE but will purchase the SE version.

Grades:

Graphics: A
Story: B
Music: A
Puzzles: B
HOG Scenes: B
Fun: B
Gameplay: B
Overall: B

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Edited on 09/22/2011 at 3:23:08 AM PST

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery of the Ancients: Lockwood Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Sep 22, 11 1:32 AM
Sorry to be a debbie downer, but I just can't get into this game.

I think this game is absolutely boring. There are so many games like this already that if a developer is going to make another one, it has to be a wonderful game with all the bells and whistles one can imagine and this isn't it. I feel like this should have been released as a SE game not a CE and this is why I didn't care for it...
1.) it lags between scenes to the point where I thought there was an issue with my computer

2.) too many Hidden Object scenes and there is nothing special about them. They are junk piles and no interactive bit.

3.) no voiceovers.

4.) I finished the demo in 40 minutes. It only showed the first chapter so no idea how long the game is but it was dreary and dark and reminded me of a game I had already played.

5.) It's plot is just downright boring. I mean we have had a bunch of demonic games set in houses with people poessessed where we have to save them and ourselves. I want a new plot. Pleaseeee developers, please release something new and original. This plot is tired, it needs to be archived for awhile.

To all the people it offends, this game is a demonic theme. It doesn't bother me but I know it bothers others. Overall I am just not impressed with this game. SIGH. I wouldn't even purchase this as a SE or a DD. I already have so many like it, I could just play them instead. & even on advanced mode, its easy!!

Edited on 09/22/2011 at 1:34:24 AM PST

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Sep 22, 11 1:42 AM
Disclaimer: I played about twenty minutes before the game froze on me, but honestly, that was enough for me.

The graphics are very grainy! Even the non-hidden object scenes are really grainy. The music is pretty irritating after a while and there are no voiceovers for the story. The two puzzles I played were very easy. I did like that there are achievements, but none of them seem too difficult to get. I think I got four of them in the twenty minutes I played. The story feels same old, same old: stuck in a haunted/cursed mansion, trying to free someone you care about. Everything looks dirty and dusty.

My biggest gripes with the game are technical. The game felt very jerky and the cursor sort of "stuck" sometimes. Then the game froze on me, which I haven't had happen in a long time. It also wouldn't let me complete the [really mild spoiler!] piano puzzle. I did everything I was supposed to, but the game kept saying something like, "I don't know what keys to press!" (or something along those lines), even though I found the solution and it was recorded in my journal! Sheesh.

This game is a no-buy for me, even in the standard edition.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 22, 11 1:51 AM
Thanks for the review, Megwoman.

I was apprehensive about this game, knowing it was from the same developer who made "Kate Arrow", a game I found boring, and which had graphics that could have been lots better.

However, I will play the demo and see for myself whether I like it enough to buy at least the SE when it`s out.

[Post New]by heatherington on Sep 22, 11 1:58 AM
I have high hopes. I could not buy last weeks game because it was simply too dark, maybe this will be better. You would think that developers would realize that we can't see dark on dark, duh.

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 22, 11 1:59 AM
Hi Fishies!

Thanks, this thread has now been stickied.

What do you think of Mystery of the Ancients: Lockwood Manor Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Edited on 09/22/2011 at 1:59:54 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Sep 22, 11 2:16 AM
Repeat, we've seen this before, over and over again. I'm really getting tired of the same old story. Been there done that, to many time's developers. It's time to get some creativity and come up with new story lines. With this said, I'll wait for the SE. But, I will only use a punch card or get this at DD/COTW only. The graphics are grainy and blurry/No voiceovers/same story we've seen over and over again. Lot's of hogs scenes which is good for hog lovers. I'm not a fan of the subject matter. I'm not totally impressed with this one and I'll pass for now. Maybe in the future, but that's only a maybe. But be sure and try this game for yourself. And for those of you that like this game, Enjoy! A new game for you and I'll save my money today.

I'd rate this game: "PORK BELLY" mediocre

PORK BELLY:
Maybe a likable game for some, but not for everyone. It’s just mediocre, but it’s not for me. Maybe on sale.
‘ ‘
(o)

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Sep 22, 11 2:24 AM
Per my usual practice I played only half hour. The game is way too easy and I am a fair to middling player who likes taking my time and enjoying the scenery. Sorry to say but here there is nothing of interest. The graphics are dull and grainy the puzzles barely need any thought Hidden objects are very easy with the usual suspects, boomerangs, fans, locks, etc. I know most would not agree that half an hour is not enough to judge whether a game is worthwhile so please try it out and judge for yourself after all the demos are free. I just felt as if I was just going thru the motions and not finding anything new or of interest. By the way not only is the guide very grainy with miniscule scenes but goes back to page one every time. I did not need it but thought to see how well it works. Showed only one chapter, so have no idea about number of chapters. I did not have any glitch problems with the game itself, just a slightly sticky cursor. Definitely NOT CE quality.

Martyheinz
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,130 Posts

[Post New]by Martyheinz on Sep 22, 11 2:31 AM
Played for 30 minutes and while I didn't have any tech problem it seemed very easy and didn't really hold my interest. Not even a buy in the CE version.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 22, 11 2:55 AM
BIG SPOILER ALERT

I knew it was a mistake to give the vessel to Jenny, but... alas... that`s what I had to do. LOL

Well, I really liked this game - well, the demo anyway. I played the trial with 5 minutes left of the 60 minutes I have, so that`s not so bad.

Unfortunately, you can`t see how much more there is to the game, because the SG in the trial version only shows you the trial version, but no more.

I had no problems with the game at all. I started out playing in Windows mode, because some peeps said the game froze, but after half an hour I switched over to full screen mode, and everything was fine.

The cursor is slagging somewhat in the H0 scenes, especially when an item has been clicked on, and you want to move the cursor to other parts of the scene. But other than that I had no problems with it.

The graphics are actually quite good - could be better, but not too bad.

There are 2 different difficulty modes, and you can choose system or custom cursor.
I would suggest using the custom cursor so that you see all the changes in the cursor when you move it about.

The HOS are not too crowded, but the objects in question we need to find are quite difficult to detect - well, some are anyway.

The HINT button recharges quick - always a plus.

There is no map, but a journal which keeps you up-to-date on what`s been going on and what you have found.

I really like the puzzles - haven`t skipped any of them in the trial version.

There are achievement awards - doing puzzles without a SKIP, doing a HOS within a certain time, etc.

I won`t buy the CE, but only because I have been disappointed with CEs too many times, but will definitely buy the SE when it`s out.

ETA: Bought the CE after all - thanks to Textrekkie`s great info.

Edited on 09/23/2011 at 10:47:35 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 22, 11 3:06 AM
Played the whole demo (one chapter), it took me 50 minutes. Didn't skip one dialogue or cutscene, played all the mini games.

-Devs MariaGlorum ?

- Was taken aback to start with as I couldn't enter my entire name, it goes up to 7 letters, no more.

- You get rewards when you achieve a H0 without using a hint or achieve a mini game

- Objects are well hidden and sometimes very small, you don't interact in H0

- Mini games are easy

- Hint fills up pretty fast

- No voiceovers, didn't notice the music so I must have been "OK"

- Graphics are good and clear

The story is nothing new, in fact we're getting quite an overdose of demons. You can't really believe that the guy, after locking you in a cell (obviously you escape), just looks at you wandering all over the place without doing you any harm. The worst he does is to lock doors.... So from what I've played this is an OK, easy, slightly boring game. Will wait for the SE.

ETA : SG included in the demo, checked it, when you close it it doesn't stay on the page you left, reopening it you're back on the opening page, quite annoying.

Edited on 09/22/2011 at 3:12:00 AM PST

[Post New]by playfulruth on Sep 22, 11 3:22 AM
Usually I like CE's, usually I buy them, usually I like being in an old house/park, running around and searching for things, ususally I also like occult themes though we've seen a lot of them... so this should be a perfect game for me... BUT: after playing the demo I really doubt that this will be a buy for me. First I had the "violation-error"-problem, closed the game manager, opened it again and then it worked. Graphics are just bad, grainy and dark (I wonder why some people here wrote about "clear" graphics - are we playing the same game?), cursor is very unreliable, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't which gives me the constant feeling that the game could crush any second, the story is ok, mediocre but ok, but it could have been done A LOT better! Somehow the game gives the impression of being rather old, it certainly needs some technical fixing and it's a pity that a game that could be a winner turned out to be very close to a looser...

I think it over, I hope there will be an update and then, maybe, maybe I could consider buying it just because of my soft spot for old houses and dark themes. At the moment it would just be a waste of money (and I am not even sure if I would buy the SE...)

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Sep 22, 11 3:24 AM
Hi

I agree totally with Emberis the games really are far too easy.

Sorry I didn't complete the full hour either because of all the jerkiness and lagging I ended up turning off my pc as I thought it was my fault.

Oh well think I will go back to plan A and buy Mystery legend Beauty and the Beast.

Happy Gaming
Linda

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Sep 22, 11 3:29 AM
This is a good Ce, but not a great one. The graphic is really good, also the storyline (very creepy, I like that!), minigames are okay too. The game doesn`t fit my full screen while playing (I have a widescreen monitor). Overall I am not sure if I want to buy the CE now or the SE instead. I will wait for more reviews.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Sep 22, 11 3:34 AM
Well I quite like dark spooky games and haven't tired of exploring old manor houses ... yet ... and I was delighted to see that there were two modes of play, Casual and Advanced , and I chose the latter.

Yes the graphics are a bit on the grainy side and some of the hidden objects are small which meant I had to lean close to the screen to find them so it is not a game that I could play for long periods of time due to the leaning forwards hurting my back.

The level that the game set the music at made it play quietly in the background and I have just noticed that my speakers are still on so it can't have been that bad .

I am another person who had trouble with the cursor being a bit sluggish occasionally and so I will wait a couple of weeks and try it on my next computer before deciding whether to buy the CE or the SE. I hope by that time someone will have posted about the length of the bonus play as, to me, that is the only thing that makes a CE worth its money anymore.

Cherb

rugrats299
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by rugrats299 on Sep 22, 11 4:33 AM
Ok I got the access code to I uninstalled the game and the GM Then I reinstalled both at same time I changed screen resolutiuon from 16 bit to 32 bit Then I played the game off my desktop not GM Am able to play the game but it does lag in certain scenes though I am interested because one of the acheivements is to beat the game in less then 8 hours The Hog scenes are good not junkpile and very well hidden objects I think thats were the 8 hours will probably come in if you don't use the hint button alot to find the objects So if you get that access code try what I did and see if it changes anything for you I will just play the game off my desktop I won't even try to use the GM Hope this helps someone Have a good day or night everyone

rugrats299
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by rugrats299 on Sep 22, 11 4:35 AM
Valdy wrote:BIG SPOILER ALERT

I knew it was a mistake to give the vessel to Jenny, but... alas... that`s what I had to do. LOL

Well, I really liked this game - well, the demo anyway. I played the trial with 5 minutes left of the 60 minutes I have, so that`s not so bad.

Unfortunately, you can`t see how much more there is to the game, because the SG in the trial version only shows you the trial version, but no more.

I had no problems with the game at all. I started out playing in Windows mode, because some peeps said the game froze, but after half an hour I switched over to full screen mode, and everything was fine.

The cursor is slagging somewhat in the H0 scenes, especially when an item has been clicked on, and you want to move the cursor to other parts of the scene. But other than that I had no problems with it.

The graphics are actually quite good - could be better, but not too bad.

There are 2 different difficulty modes, and you can choose system or custom cursor.
I would suggest using the custom cursor so that you see all the changes in the cursor when you move it about.

The HOS are not too crowded, but the objects in question we need to find are quite difficult to detect - well, some are anyway.

The HINT button recharges quick - always a plus.

There is no map, but a journal which keeps you up-to-date on what`s been going on and what you have found.

I really like the puzzles - haven`t skipped any of them in the trial version.

There are achievement awards - doing puzzles without a SKIP, doing a HOS within a certain time, etc.

I won`t buy the CE, but only because I have been disappointed with CEs too many times, but will definitely buy the SE when it`s out.
Me Too I didn't want to do it I knew she was a demon LOL

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Sep 22, 11 4:57 AM
Well, I played the demo, no glitches, buuuuut, I will not be purchasing. A game with demons? I didn't get to jump once! Some of the various haunted asylum games are scarier, IMHO, lol.

The fact the SG kept reverting back to page one was quite annoying, as I needed to check it a couple of times. The graphics were reasonable, I guess, and the music was tolerable - some games lately I have had to turn it right off it was so irritating

Overall, the game is just boring for me, and I won't be getting it even as an SE. Now there is something that puzzles me - why, do some people say they won't buy a CE because they don't really like the story/gameplay/music/whatever, then say they will get it as an SE (or at a cheaper price)? That really confuses me, lol.

Please Note I am NOT referring to the cost as a reason for not buying a CE - just the reasons why you don't really like the game. Hope I'm making sense, here, lol.

Jen

[Post New]by Coronagold on Sep 22, 11 5:31 AM
But you all will still be saying "Thanks Murdock" every single Tuesday.

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Sep 22, 11 5:56 AM
Coronagold wrote:But you all will still be saying "Thanks Murdock" every single Tuesday.

Why not, Mudrock doesn't make these games, people thank him for making predictions.

Go to: