bfgKenai
864 Posts

Reviews for Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Sep 24, 11 12:21 AM
Hi Fishies!

We’d love to hear what you think of Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek as your reviews are important to us and to other fishies. You’re more than welcomed to post your thoughts about this game in here! You can also specify if you played the game from the trial version or the full version and on which level you are in the game, so that other players can get more out of this thread!

Keep in mind a lot of people visiting this thread will have never played the game before so if you are posting spoilers please remember to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Feel free to go ahead and create a new discussion in the game forum if you’d like to discuss other things than your general feedback on the game. If you are experiencing technical issues, remember to check out the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgKenai

Edited on 09/24/2011 at 12:28:43 AM PST

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Re:Reviews for Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek

[Post New]by TeamSD on Sep 24, 11 1:16 AM
The game is simply FANTASTIC, it will definitely be one of my Top 10 best game of 2011! Bought the CE version and enjoyed every second of it.... Don't know why the game can't reach even Top 3 of BFG Top 100 chart cuz it should really be, hope this SE version will create a big boom!

Graphics are wonderful, very well drawn (or whatever) - some scenes are very beautiful too. They're clear and detailed! Voice overs are great, loved the puzzles and the atmosphere is really creepy. Story is really interesting and really intense, music is also excellent! I loved the addition of Evidence Wall that help you arrange and manage evidences you collected, i really feel like i'm part of the game, really into it! There're tons of locations to explore and i can finished the main game in around 4-5 hours which is quite decent because I'm fast player! HOG scenes are the only downside in this game, there're more and more toward the end and some objects are too tiny but not impossible to find. Anyway, i loved this game very very much and will recommend everybody to try it!

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Story: A
Music: A*
Puzzles: A
HOG Scenes: A
Fun: A*
Gameplay: A*
Overall: A*

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Sep 24, 11 1:22 AM
I remember playing the CE and not really caring for it. Felt like in the demo hour, I got no where . The HOGS were not very clear and the game was kind of hard to follow. I guess I played it too early , because there was no walkthrough posted as of yet. I guess this game just didn't grab me. I would rate it a 6 out of 10.

tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
204 Posts

[Post New]by tillybaby on Sep 24, 11 1:44 AM
I too bought the collectors edition and loved it, in fact I couldn't stop playing and I think it will definitely be in my top ten too, I found the graphics very clear also and the game played without a hitch, glitch or whatever, for the SE price I think it's well worth the money.

[Post New]by girouard347 on Sep 24, 11 3:05 AM
Thanks for the reviews! I haven't been able to post on the forums since last weekend's debacle (not that I post that often, but, when you're locked out, you really miss not being able to!).
I played the CE demo and loved it! The dilemma now is which one to get. Is the bonus game play worth it? Does it add to the story? Thanks.
Best wishes for a great game-playing weekend!

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,123 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Sep 24, 11 3:54 AM
Enigmatis is an Interactive Hidden Object (IH0G) from Artifax Mundi (they also developed Time Mysteries Inheritance). The game has voiceovers of which I am normally a fan but in this case they were not well done, no attempt was made to match them to the mouth of the characters when in shot. The music was average but I l liked the background sounds, they suited the spooky atmosphere.

The story is interesting; you wake up in a town not knowing why you are there & you slowly piece together clues.

The graphics were not very impressive; quite dreary & not as crisp as I like, IMO the artwork was pretty mediocre also. It nicely filled my widescreen & has two modes:
Easy – sparkles for items of interest, a map showing locations where action required, 30 second hint recharge
Expert – H0 scenes only have sparkles, the map does not show where actions required, hint recharge 1 minute

The map is not interactive so you will have to walk around the town a lot. There is a journal in which the map, notes & a list of objectives are given.

The H0 scenes are often junkpiles & there is a horrible ‘boom’ noise when you click on an object; in addition some of the items can be extremely small & difficult to find.

I have a punchcard from last month which I shall use as the story is intriguing & the mini games so far are unusual & therefore enjoyable.

ETA Just wanted to add that this is a very long gameplay - it took me about 6 hours & I highly enjoyed the story. It did finish but left room for a sequel.

Edited on 09/25/2011 at 7:51:55 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,256 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 24, 11 5:49 AM
girouard347 wrote:Thanks for the reviews! I haven't been able to post on the forums since last weekend's debacle (not that I post that often, but, when you're locked out, you really miss not being able to!).
I played the CE demo and loved it! The dilemma now is which one to get. Is the bonus game play worth it? Does it add to the story? Thanks.

The bonus tells the story from the male detective's viewpoint from back in the 80s and while it's fun, it's not very long and doesn't really add anything to the story. I'd recommend getting the SE version since the hints are good and you don't really need the SG.

Edited on 09/24/2011 at 5:51:08 AM PST

lyn58
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by lyn58 on Sep 24, 11 6:54 AM
The game is so dark I'm having trouble seeing much in **** scenes. Some items I can't pick up even with the hint showing me where they are. Any one else having this trouble. Had same trouble with the CE.

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on Sep 24, 11 8:20 AM
snapnhiss wrote:
girouard347 wrote: The dilemma now is which one to get. Is the bonus game play worth it? Does it add to the story? Thanks.

The bonus tells the story from the male detective's viewpoint from back in the 80s and while it's fun, it's not very long and doesn't really add anything to the story. I'd recommend getting the SE version since the hints are good and you don't really need the SG.

Thanks. I too was wondering the same thing. This helps a lot.

angelfishsb
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishsb on Sep 24, 11 8:51 AM
Another disappointing day in the life of BF games. Another CE gone SE that I already have. The rest of you have fune.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Sep 24, 11 10:14 AM
I have bought the CE from this game before a few weeks and highly enjoyed every minute of it. Its a great game with good graphic, gameplay and storyline. I highly recommend this game

gailgo
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
43,668 Posts

[Post New]by gailgo on Sep 24, 11 10:27 AM
lyn58 wrote:The game is so dark I'm having trouble seeing much in **** scenes. Some items I can't pick up even with the hint showing me where they are. Any one else having this trouble. Had same trouble with the CE.

Dosent apperar dark to me, sorry for your troubles but i thought it looks like a really good game, just finished the hour demo and was suprised when it ended cos it didnt seem like an hour had gone by, this is generally how i judge games, a little on the easy side on the relaxed mode, good to see it has two modes of play. I,ll leave descriptions etc to Team SD and other fishies who are great reviewers but a definite buy for me

[Post New]by girouard347 on Sep 24, 11 11:26 AM
snapnhiss wrote:
girouard347 wrote:Thanks for the reviews! I haven't been able to post on the forums since last weekend's debacle (not that I post that often, but, when you're locked out, you really miss not being able to!).

Thanks, snapnhiss! That is so helpful! I'll take your advice.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
944 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Sep 24, 11 12:42 PM
I purchased the CE and I really enjoyed the game. The graphics/artwork were great. Spents hours playing this game. Enjoyed the storyline, I never new what would happen next.

If you like IHOGS hopefully you will like this game like I did. Money well spent.

Happy gaming

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Sep 24, 11 1:55 PM
I snapped up the CE of this and thought it was absolutely brilliant Immersive, exciting, atmospheric. Amazing

I agree with Snapnhiss, the bonus game didn't really add a lot to the experience and I lost interest with it early on. For me, once I've finished the main game, the bonuses can be an irritation. I buy the CEs in order to have the game rather than wait, not generally for the bonus anyway.

lionscat
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Sep 24, 11 7:27 PM
Loved this game in the CE. Would purchase no matter what

ManuelCalavera
Shark
Shark
12,542 Posts

[Post New]by ManuelCalavera on Sep 24, 11 11:05 PM
I don't think I've ever played a HOG that was quite so atmospheric. What a fabulous change of pace from the predominantly black and bluish, nighttime scenes in decrepit locations that are in the majority of HOG's these days! The overall feeling was more of melancholia than creepiness. I was actually reminded of an Edward Hopper painting upon visiting the gas station and the autumnal countryside seemed to be truly lovingly rendered. Note to game developers: "old" does not equate to creepy, dirty, evil and vile things.

Although the **** scenes were not as immersive, and the story really did allude to creepy, dirty, evil and vile things, this was a joy to play and thoroughly engaging, (And kudos to the developers for finally including circuit breakers instead of automotive fuses!)

This is what future BFG's MCF series should be striving for. Lose the bad actors in the live sequences and stun the pants off of us with some new innovations and gorgeous graphics instead of handing us "Collector's Editions" that we can't even sell on eBay.

You ain't PIXAR and you never will be.

SueDee67
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by SueDee67 on Sep 25, 11 11:38 AM
I really enjoyed this game. It got better as It went on.
Kept my interest all the way through. Worth the money. I did use the walkthrough at times.
Some unusual things in it.

I just turn up the Contrast on my Monitor when things
seem dark for me. Easy to do.

It's a 5 Star game for me.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Sep 25, 11 12:12 PM
Loved this game. I just bought the standard edition and it was fun enough! The only drawback was if you are not a fan of HOGs you will not like this. I like HOGs but there were even a few too many for me. Thank goodness the hint key reloads very quickly! Also, one part I really didn't like was the game takes you all over the place, sometimes just to pick up one item and then back you go clear across the game. That did get tiring and if you couldn't or didn't remember exactly where you picked everything up, you ran you hind end off. Again, the hint button worked well here....worth the $!

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
276 Posts

Re:Reviews for Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek -Spoiler Alert

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Sep 25, 11 3:10 PM
I did not play the CE version of this game. I can't usually afford to buy CEs, so I don't demo most of them. I will make exceptions for CE games that are sequels to previous games I liked, but this game managed to slip under the radar for me when it came out as a CE. So many CEs, so little money and time. I have a credit so I was looking for a new game to play. I demoed the SE version of this one. Although it is a well made game and has good voice acting, the story seems same old, same old to me. Some players here might not care about the story in a game, but I do. The story is almost as important to me as the gameplay, and the story here comes across as cliche. The main character has been in a mysterious car accident and finds herself trapped in a spooky town where she must investigate eerie occurrences that have happened there. There are way too many games that use this plot device. The only twist in Enigmatis being that the main character actually meant to come to this town to look for a missing person, she is a detective, so she is not there randomly.

The game that Enigmatis most reminds me of would be the Twisted Land games with the themes of exploring a creepy town, looking for missing people, encountering people possessed by evil etc. I love the Twisted Lands games, but I did not find the Enigmatis demo to be as gripping and fun to play as those games were. I will admit that I am slightly intrigued about what is going to happen in Enigmatis, and I am thinking of using my credit on it, but it is not the most original or exciting game that I have played.

ETA: I did decide to buy this game and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I still did not think it was the most original story, but the way it was executed was fun. I liked the female detective and I also liked having an evidence board. It made me feel like I was in the middle of a detective movie, and in general, I found myself to be pretty immersed in the game. There were a lot of locations to travel to and from, which I also liked. I also enjoyed the puzzles. There were more H0 scenes than I normally like in a game (I like H0 scenes really spread out, too many of them back to back bores me), and the H0 scenes were redundant and they weren't very interactive, but I was able to get through most of them quickly and get back to the action of the game, which was the best part of it. I did not think this game was as good as Twisted Lands, but I did enjoy it and I will play the sequel.

Edited on 10/02/2011 at 1:02:29 PM PST

Go to: