bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Reviews for Them: The Summoning

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Sep 26, 11 12:48 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Them: The Summoning? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:Reviews for Them: The Summoning

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Sep 26, 11 1:13 AM
I played the whole demo, so my review is based on this. The graphics are o.k., but the objects are very hard to find. But there are two modes of play...easy and normal and it has widescreen. I really like the story and they mystery of the game. Each room has 10 bonus items to find to open up extras. There is spot the difference which I don't mind, but I know many don't like. But they give you the option to skip it.

Even tho the objects are small and hard to find, I really enjoyed the demo. I found myself looking for the bonus items more than the objects on the list. The hint re-charges very quickly and I feel they give you enough to get through each level. I understand why some wouldn't like it, but give it more time, because it gets better and the story is very intriguing and interesting. For sure give this game a try and use the full hour.

It's a buy for me with a punch card or sale. I definitly want this game, but some will not like it, do to the objects being so small. But, I enjoyed it! And I'm sure some will also. But give it a try. Enjoy!

I rate this game: "PIGLET"

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 26, 11 2:00 AM
I didn't like it very much for the first 15 minutes but the story got more interesting and I found myself enjoying this ghosty murder mystery with a side of conspiracy.

Straight HOG with inventory items for minigames and problem solving. Minigames are not inspired, as far as the demo, anyway.

There is a map showing you where you are in the larger scheme of things and the whole map is pretty large so I'm thinking this may have good length.

You can skip all dialogue and minigames and as LoveToMissLisa mentioned, the hints are plentiful.

The Bonus section appears to have all the minigames to play as stand-alone after the game is complete.

No technical problems.

My grade is 3 1/2 out 5

P.S. I discovered elsewhere this is the first part of a three part group of games.

Edited on 09/26/2011 at 2:43:56 AM PST

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Sep 26, 11 2:24 AM
Another average HOG, it's not bad and as LovetoMissLisa said, it getting better and better towards the end of the demo. Graphics are OK, nice, creepy, fit widescreen but not the best. Music are suitable, it's a straight HOG with few twists of bonus items and luckily they're quite enjoyable! Puzzles are simple and quite fun. Story is interesting and very intense, it's more exciting at the end of the demo. HOG scenes are difficlut, too difficult! Objects are too tiny.....Will purchase it using punch card or maybe as DD!

Grades:

Graphics: C
Story: A
Music: B
Puzzles: C
HOG Scenes: D
Fun: C
Gameplay: C
Overall: C

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 26, 11 2:45 AM
Played 20 minutes and got utterly bored.

Straight HOG, mini game STD , story so so.
I hate it when you have to pack a bag and the items you have to find are a dirty plate, a paper fan or a letter opener... Junkpile H0.
Very boring game.

ETA : no interaction whatsoever

Edited on 09/26/2011 at 2:46:13 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 26, 11 2:48 AM
Poutoule wrote:Played 20 minutes and got utterly bored.

Straight HOG, mini game STD , story so so.
I hate it when you have to pack a bag and the items you have to find are a dirty plate, a paper fan or a letter opener... Junkpile H0.
Very boring game.

ETA : no interaction whatsoever

Yes, packing to travel was pretty funny!

Yeah, I agree that the first couple of H0 scenes were not very impressive.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Sep 26, 11 2:51 AM
I don`t like this game very much. Its very boring, the graphic is very bad, items are very tiny. Overall its a definete no buy for me

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Sep 26, 11 3:04 AM
Well me personally I do have a 22" widescreen, and I don't see nothing wrong at all with the graphics. Mine are as clear as a bell, and I have no problem spotting tiny objects. The t.v. at the beginning is cool, and I don't have any problems seeing the hidden objects. This game is running perfectly on my comp. I am looking forward to playing it.

Edited on 09/26/2011 at 3:06:45 AM PST

[Post New]by tanjadelphling on Sep 26, 11 3:16 AM
We just played the demo and we like it a lot !

Tiny objects ? You can skip the bonus items if you cannot see them but
if you are bothered to find items do not play a Hidden Object game!

Great game, very nice backgrounds and we like the story. It has the feeling of a thriller.

Sure not as easy as the Average HOG but we are glad to have found a challenge besides that the hint refreshes fast and seems limitless.

Runs perfect on our computer too.

It looks stunning I have no idea why some have problems. We read that this is the first part of a Trilogy.

How nice 8)

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Sep 26, 11 4:03 AM
Them The Summoning is the 1st of a planned trilogy from Gamatic & AV Technology; I played the full hour demo & it was all H0 scenes & there was a mini-game of spot the difference.

The graphics were very crisp & bright; the artwork a little too colourful for my taste (sort of like a TV that has the colour turned up too high). The music changed depending on what scene you were in & suited the game.

There are an easy (hint 10 second recharge) & standard (20 seconds) mode of gameplay, you can also choose to play as male or female. I tried both & found no difference at all so do not know why the option is there. The game plays as widescreen.

There is no voiceover & you can click through or skip the dialogue if you wish. After the second H0 scene you will get an inventory & a map (not interactive). There is a misclick penalty but you have to click very fast for it to come into play. You should click around the scene as items such as drawers, cushions will move to reveal hidden objects.

As others have noted some of the items are very small but as the graphic are so clean I was able to find all the objects. In each scene there are 10 bonus items to collect to unlock the ‘extras’ & you are then able to replay unlocked H0 or mini games.

There was an amusing H0 – before I had finished the police were rattling on the door & the dialogue said ‘police, I’d better get out of here’ but I couldn’t leave till I finished the item list.

Not sure if it is memorable enough for me to remember next month when I get my punchcode so might wait until there is a DD sometime in the future.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Sep 26, 11 6:06 AM
I thought I would try the game again so I went back in and changed my screen to a smaller size so I could see all of the game. But the opening of the game had no buttons or list or any information what I was to do. I clicked a few items and I guess they were the right ones, but then I didn't know what I should do so I exited. I'm confused, where are the buttons, or instructions?

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Sep 26, 11 6:13 AM
hi LuvDemGames
There is a list at the bottom of the screen like the one you normally get in a H0G - (the first screen just has one word at the very beginning)

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Sep 26, 11 6:26 AM
Like yesterday's TGT: this might be fun to beginners in the search 'bizz'. But I was bored pretty quickly playing the demo.

Furthermore, there are too much colours in the scenes for my taste and the objects often are to hard to find. Collecting the bonus objects annoyed me, since it distracted too much from the actual objectlist. Also I didn't like to drag the objects to the place of use, I'lld rather pick them up and drop them.

The story could have been worked out better. For example: how logical is it to retun to the house where the police just arrested you. And in daytime too. Talking about the habit to return to the scene of the crime.

Nope. Absolutely not worth to pay for, not even with a coupon.

BF's former attractiveness to me is slipping away more and more...

CasualGran

Edited on 09/26/2011 at 6:27:55 AM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 26, 11 7:00 AM
One of the nicest things about the BFG game forums is we, as gamers, are often given the opportunity to review the first games by new developers. I've always considered it an honor and privilege to look at first efforts and to give feedback, in a positive way.

This review is based on the demo version.

Them: The Summoning is a first game by AV Technologies. It is a straight, untimed, hidden object game. Initial options include sliders for music, sound and brightness. Screen options are full or windowed. (Note: on the options screen there is a bright flash every 10 seconds). After entering your profile, you also selct your gender (still at a loss on this one) and play mode. Play options are Standard or Easy, however there is no initial explanation as to how they differ. (It determines hint recharging time - easy is 10 seconds, standard is 20 seconds).

The graphics are very clean and crystal clear and innovative, as some objects on the screen will "fade" to reveal objects underneath/inside as you cursor over them. All dialogue is text style and can be skipped, if desired. The hidden objects are in scenes, as opposed to junk piles. Some of the items are small, even tiny, but with the overall clarity, you can still find them, but they require some "nose to the screen" moments.

The story is one of murder and mayhem...two people have been murdered and it looks like someone is trying really hard to pin the murders on you. The story starts out slow and is a bit stilted because of text, but it does improve as the game continues. The mini-games available during the demo are "spot the differences" (why did it have to be "spot the differences" ) (continued)

Edited on 09/26/2011 at 11:28:48 AM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 26, 11 7:01 AM
which don't have a wide-range appeal, but they aren't horrible.

All things being equal, this is an impressive first effort from the developer. If every game could have graphics this clear and precise, what a different world we would have in gaming.

The story could use some pepping up, perhaps with some welldone voiceovers, or saving dialog for full screen breaks to tell the story (cut scenes perhaps?). Also adding some adventure/roaming elements would be fun (let the player travel from scene to scene or choose the scene they want to play next from the map?

In any case, if this is only part one in a planned trilogy, I have no doubt that parts two and three are going to be outstanding. You can see all the care and attention to detail that went into the development and although the story in this telling doesn't bowl you over, it has all the makings of something truly dynamic. Good job, devs!

ETA - edited to correct developer info. AV Technologies in Malta is the developer. Gamatics in Iceland is the distributor. Thanks for the correction, IngoM!

Edited on 09/26/2011 at 11:27:50 AM PST

susielee
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by susielee on Sep 26, 11 7:03 AM
No buy for me. I won't even consider a game that contains any "spot the difference" in them. A real pet peeve for me and BIG turn off.

[Post New]by CBC132714 on Sep 26, 11 7:06 AM
LuvDemGames wrote:I thought I would try the game again so I went back in and changed my screen to a smaller size so I could see all of the game. But the opening of the game had no buttons or list or any information what I was to do. I clicked a few items and I guess they were the right ones, but then I didn't know what I should do so I exited. I'm confused, where are the buttons, or instructions?

Same here, but this worked for me: pressed "menu", chose to restart the level and the list came back.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Sep 26, 11 7:33 AM
This had some good elements but unfortunately they were too annoying. The bonus items were one. I like having extra "collectibles" but not to know what I am looking for when you first enter a HOG scene is a bit much. No clues as to what to look for just click and find the item by accident. Then there is the count that is only displayed when you click on the bonus item. That is not fair! I have a bad case of CRS and trying to remember how many more bonus items are needed is pushing it for me. What "extra" does it unlock?

This game is not interactive enough for me. Classifying it as an IHOG is a misnomer.

I do like the map but what point is there to it if you can't wander freely around?

There are too many teeny tiny items in the HOG scenes. My eyes tend to water and blur after awhile trying to spot them. Why should I change my favorite genre (according to some gamers) just because the items are straining my eyes? A good HOG game shouldn't have to do that. I've played some very good HOG games with large objects that were very cleverly hidden.

I did find the storyline intriguing but some of the dialog was rude.

I believe I'll pass on this one or else wait until it is offered as a DD. Hopefully the second and third one of this series will be better.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Sep 26, 11 7:41 AM
Re:You.v got to be kidding me
by ladygem6 on Sep 26, 11 7:39 AM
I tried the game anyway, despite all the bad reviews........and dicovered a lot of what was said is true. The Hidden Object scenes were very hard, the items small and well hidden. I found the bonus items more fun and easier to find than the list of objects. And I played the entire hour.

Not really a good game, I'm sorry. I won't be using my last punch card credit for this. The graphics were good but as was said, the coloring was boring and uninteresting. As was the plot. Although the game did not hang up or freeze on me, it did jerk several times going between scenes. Flickering like, as though it wanted to freeze.

Really am looking for a good SE game for my last credit but so far, nothing. Oh well. There's always tomorrow.

fla_girl
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by fla_girl on Sep 26, 11 8:22 AM
It was an ok **** game but not my thing. Had a hard time finding the items. I haven't decided if I'm buying this one or not. I might wait for the second part to come out before I decide.

Go to: