Fix for Access Violation Error

[Post New]by BlueLikeJazz on Sep 26, 11 5:28 PM
The Access Violation Error is caused by an incompatible version of DirectX. Both Avalon and Wine Maker Extraordinaire, made by Overplay Games, require DirectX 7.0. Unfortunately, DirectX 7.0 is no longer available on Microsoft's website, and the current version (9.0 at the time I post this) will not work with these games.

The good news is that there are websites out there where you can download the old version. The one I used is: (removed by moderator)

If you use this website, be sure to download the full version, not the website install (the website install will just take you to Microsoft and the latest version). Save the extracted files into a folder on your harddrive for safe keeping just in case you later update DirectX and would like to play this game again. Open the folder where you extracted the files and double click on the DXSETUP file. Follow the installation wizard. This should fix your problem.

Changing your DirectX version may cause other applications to get access violations. In this case, just install the latest version of DirectX. Just be sure to install DirectX 7.0 once again if you want to play this game.

Edited on 10/15/2011 at 1:11:05 AM PST

Re:Fix for Access Violation Error

[Post New]by Athealis on Oct 14, 11 11:50 PM
unfortunately, this is not a viable fix if you are running windows 7. Direct x 7 will NOT install on windows 7, even if you can manage to track down an ancient installer. I have posted a fix that worked for me in the forum for Avalon, check it out if people are still having problems.

-Athealis

Go to: