Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Seekers: The Secret of the Haunted Mansion

[Post New]by 1corvette on Mar 13, 11 11:57 PM
bfgImbrium wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mystery Seekers: The Secret of the Haunted Mansion? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/147668.page>here</a>.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Seekers: The Secret of the Haunted Mansion

[Post New]by gimmegames on Mar 14, 11 5:24 AM
I wouldn't buy this even as a daily deal. First off, I never did hear any music, except when I checked to be sure the music was toggled on. Lots of picture puzzles to put together - not bad but too many of the same. Too dark even with monitor settings at 100%. Objects too small. Anyway, it was a relief when the demo ended.

harrisd
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Seekers: The Secret of the Haunted Mansion

[Post New]by harrisd on Mar 16, 11 5:56 PM
mycatluna wrote:I had high hopes for this game but 40 minutes into the demo and I am disappointed. There are some good qualities: Achievements are included in the game and there are extra items to keep an eye out for: gems and letters that explain more about the haunted house. I also like the ability to move around freely and the interactive qualities as well as being able to shoot or bomb ghosts; however, the game just doesn't hold my interest. The graphics are so-so; granted I have a wide-screen so they may look stretched on my monitor.

Another gripe is that you do not get to choose the volume for the music or sound effects. Under 'options', you can either turn them off completely or listen at a pre-set volume. I like being able to set my own volume for both music and sound effects.

Also, the story lacks any significant depth. I found myself getting bored rather quickly. It's not necessarily that it is another haunted house theme: just a haunted house story that lacks imagination.

Some may like this game, and perhaps it gets better later on, but 40 minutes into the demo I just couldn't keep playing any longer.

In short, this game could have been so much more if a little more imagination had gone into developing it. I did not look at who the developer is, but if it is one new to game development, they did a good job for their first game. If it is a developer that has produced more than just this game in the past, my suggestion would be to really take into account the reviews that are to follow and utilize that advice going forward. I have a feeling that quite a few fish in the pond will not be all that pleased with this one.

Oh-and fishies-if you do buy the game and play it all the way through, please let me know, whether here or through PM whether or not the game improves the longer you play. After 40 minutes without much improvement though, I won't hold my breath.

fiorel4
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by fiorel4 on Mar 17, 11 9:01 PM
WOW! what a bummer of a game. I lasted exactly 4 minutes into the demo, realised I couldn't actually see what I was doing and bailed out.
The cursor is ridiculous, the graphics appalling, no explanation about the game, sound and music are either on or off, can't change the cursor to something better. I don't know how this got past QR but someone was sleeping on the job I think.
Another disappointment and I am slowly losing my faith in game developers, this one gets a double

[Post New]by mamabetty4888 on Mar 18, 11 7:45 AM
I have played a lot of games and some have not been the best but this game is the worst game I have ever played. I wasted $6.99 purchasing it. The music and sound doesn't matter to me because I have the sound off any way, I hardly ever use hints and I was continuously using the hints, I went were they told, did what they told me and it wouldn't do anything "example" at the end it said to take the pick to the clock upstairs and I tried that for 40 minutes, then I accidentally hit the desk in the back and it opened and I got the blue gem and finished the game.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 20, 11 3:39 AM
This game is a mixture of IHOG and a TM because the game keeps track of the time and penalises you timewise for using a hint. Also you have to rapidly click on ghosts to get rid of them before you can even enter the mansion and certain rooms but only after you have found differing amounts of gems eg 5 to enter the mansion, 11 to enter the library.

I find the whole game to be quite dark and the objects not all the objects are clear to see, I had to guess and use the hint for some.

The hint recharges in 2 MINUTES (it tells you after you have used it if you try and use it again ).

Some items are picky where you click on them, I got several red mists trying to get the shoe and the drumstick would only let me have it by clicking on the knob on the end and not the stick part but overall I found the cursor felt clunky.

Some of the exit areas are quite a long way from the edge of the screen, I accidentally clicked just to the left of the door and found myself in the next scene so I went back and measured it and it was 5" away from the edge lol.

Sorry devs but I will not be buying this game mainly because I didn't enjoy the shooting ghosts part of the game but, to finish on a positive note, I really did enjoy the jigsaw type puzzles.

Cherb

kpacoma
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by kpacoma on Mar 22, 11 11:49 AM
I do not understand what the story the game! I played 30 minutes and did not understand. I'm disappointed. For me, the game was difficult to manage, it annoys me. I did not expect such from this game.

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Mar 23, 11 6:03 PM
Wish I had played the demo first. Wasted a credit on this one. Nothing likeable about this game.

[Post New]by NanaRap on Mar 24, 11 8:28 PM
WOW!!!!! What a game. Just finished, took me a couple of days at about three to four hours a day and a alot of use of the "hint" button but I did it. Total of 13 plus hours, according to the game time. Not my best time with these types of games but oh well!! Really loved this one. First time I have commented on a BF game. Was a bit stumped at first when I first started it but eventually got the hang of it. My arms are tired from the final scene with the amulets but it was worth it.

Edited on 03/24/2011 at 8:30:41 PM PST

hornplayer
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by hornplayer on Mar 31, 11 7:40 PM
Wish I had read the reviews first. This is not a very good game at all. The music and sounds have to be re-toggled off every time I play. The HOs are just plain awful. Half the time the screen is so dark you can't see anything, there are objects listed to be found that are actually hidden behind other objects so that only a small bit of it shows, AND.... the list of objects to be found at the top of the screen actually covers up part of the screen to be searched!! Pretty bad. I hate the arcade stuff - if I wanted to shoot ghosts, I'd get an arcade game. Music is lame, story (if there even IS one) is lame, this is going in the trash.

mintjulelip
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by mintjulelip on Mar 31, 11 8:07 PM
Well, perhaps it's because I have a video card for gaming, but I didn't think the graphics were as bad as most people are saying. They were actually better than some of the games I've seen lately.

That's about the only good thing I can say about the game, however. I won't repeat what everyone else has said; lets just say I agree with everything else. I just didn't think the graphics were that horrible

KC_Granny
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by KC_Granny on Apr 2, 11 12:15 AM
Great game, great graphics, loved the storyline. Things I would like to see changed:
1. Get rid of the arcade game ghosts.
2. Make collecting the gems more a part of the game rather than running around to odd places to find them. Either that or make them a lot more visible. They got to the point of being really annoying.
3. A clickable map would be fabulous. I got really tired of going up and down stairs.
4. Give an option of doing the game timed or un-timed. If I click on a hint, it's because I need a hint and I don't care about 10 minutes.

Other than those things - loved it. Keep up the good work!

simtique
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by simtique on Apr 4, 11 8:13 PM
stupid stupid game wish i had never bought it it is so annoying

[Post New]by foxyred1956 on Apr 7, 11 6:10 PM
I have to agree with my fellow gamers . . . this is a sad excuse for a game. The shooting the ghost could have been clever but with the two bombs to kill multiple ghosts the challenge is lost. Also, where is the story? This had such possibilities. Too bad!

majicbird
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by majicbird on Apr 10, 11 4:17 AM
Wow! I wouldn't say this game is horrible! A lot of difficult, or should I say time consuming, puzzles right away in this game! I like that you get to shoot ghosts!

cass254
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by cass254 on Apr 10, 11 5:29 AM
mamabetty4888 wrote: I have played a lot of games and some have not been the best but this game is the worst game I have ever played. I wasted $6.99 purchasing it. The music and sound doesn't matter to me because I have the sound off any way, I hardly ever use hints and I was continuously using the hints, I went were they told, did what they told me and it wouldn't do anything "example" at the end it said to take the pick to the clock upstairs and I tried that for 40 minutes, then I accidentally hit the desk in the back and it opened and I got the blue gem and finished the game.

I wish I had read all of these reviews before deciding to buy this awful game. Luckily I bought it during one of BFG's sales so I don't feel quite so bad as I would if I had paid full price for it. I fully agree with everything said above and throughout the reviews. This is only about the second game I have ever given up on without finishing. I have NEVER used as many hints as I had to on this one, the ghost shooting became so infuriating I just gave up and skipped every one and the objects were not clear. The other thing that got to me was that every hidden object scene had the same ojects, just laid out differently (boring)!

VERY disappointed.

Edited on 04/10/2011 at 5:30:42 AM PST

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Meritre on Jun 5, 11 3:04 AM
The game wasn't very compelling, it felt like it was for a much younger audience, and the inventory system was by far the worst I've dealt with in these games. Some aspects were neat, like the gems, but not nearly enough to make up for the bad points. Would not buy.

[Post New]by foofums on Mar 19, 12 6:04 PM
pleease some one tell me how to get through the boarded up door in the kitchen. and how do i find the 3rd green amulet.
I m reallyb stuck. cheers

sltl
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by sltl on Apr 17, 12 9:25 AM
Totally agree with all the naysayers. Poorly done and irritating.

Go to: