dogden2
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose Collector's Edition

[Post New]by dogden2 on Sep 7, 10 6:12 AM
i like this game better than cake mania 3 . i am glad i brought it. i didn't have a hard time.i use the guide so many time it wasn't funny.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose Collector's Edition

[Post New]by silverink on Nov 29, 10 10:05 AM
This was a beautiful game - the artwork was magical. I typically am not crazy about the fractured object hunts, but this game made it painless. The game was pretty easy - at least the first time around - it looks like there is a hard mode to do after you complete the game, which I will hold off on until some time passes. The adventure elements were good, the story excellent, length was ok, and the hidden object scenes (while not my favorite type) were well-done for this type of (FROG) game - not hard on the eyesight. I really enjoyed the morphing objects - it was a great addition to the game and kept you on your toes. There were also quite a few nice extras in the CE. Overall, a lovely game - I will definitely play the sequel.

[Post New]by pazifij on Dec 31, 10 2:21 AM
I wasted my money on this game. I've not seen this kind of hidden object game before, where you are hunting for pieces of an object, and did not like that part of it at all. (I bought it on disk at the store - not online.) I liked the part of figuring out where to go next and what object was needed for what, but I bought it because it was a hidden object game and was very disappointed.

[Post New]by juanitaperez on Dec 31, 10 9:55 AM
ok everybody love the gane, and it is ok, the problem is that i bought it by mistake, this is not the hidden object that i like to play, i would like to know how in this day 31 of dec, somebody could help to make the transaction? For your help thanks and Happy New Year.

[Post New]by yankeesonlygirl on Jan 22, 11 6:31 PM
Great game. I loved the twist to the old fairy tale. The graphics were good. The story line was streamline and flowed well. The puzzles were easy. Not to much wandering back and forth trying to find things. I rate it .

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Mar 3, 11 11:09 PM
This game will rate as one of my all time favorites!
Can't say enough good things about it.
Thanks BFG!!!

grma61
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by grma61 on Mar 11, 11 10:03 AM
b00kworm wrote:I downloaded the game (without any problems, I'd like to add) and fell in love with it on the loading screen.

The game is as dark as I like them (I'm not that far in right now, just reached chapter 2 and bought it), wonderful scenes and interesting twist (the briar hedge coming back centuries after it should have disappeared).

In fact, I've waited for a dark game based on the Grimm fairy tales. They're quite dark themselves (the original stories, not what animated movies have often made of them) and, of course, known to lots and lots of people.

Can't say much about the additional content so far, as you have to play the additional quest to unlock them and have to finish the game to unlock the additional quest.

Still, one big thing is the fact that you can access the strategy guide without going back to the main menue. (Just as in the last hidden objects CE.)

Somehow I can't pass any of the CEs by... They're exactly my taste.

grma61
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by grma61 on Mar 11, 11 10:14 AM
I bought this game in 2010 when it was a SE (standard edition), I am downloading the SE version now and will play for a while before I decide to buy the CE

katbeth01
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by katbeth01 on Mar 25, 11 7:31 PM
I really loved this game. I loved it so much I went and got Dark Parables: The Exiled Prince and I loved it also.

Grimhild
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Grimhild on Apr 21, 11 10:44 AM
I really enjoy playing this game. My pet peeve is being forced to pick through someone's rubbish heap in order to find 1 item. In many games the items I was asked to find have no bearing on the game at all. BUT in this game I searched for pieces of a necessary item, which kept it from being irritating.

I enjoyed the artwork and wanted to keep moving through the game in order to see what the next location looked like. And looking for the morphing objects made me not mind so much when I had to go running back and forth through locations, which usually annoys me. I liked the mini-games, too.

I originally bought this game in the regular edition, but liked it so much I switched up to the collector's edition.

Edited on 04/21/2011 at 10:48:15 AM PST

[Post New]by suthrnlotus on Jun 19, 11 3:02 AM
Am so mad at this game right now. It is locking my computer up, freezing in the most inopportune moments. I am having to go to the task manager every 2 minutes now to shut the game down and restart. Pushes my CPU usage to 100% and locks the system up barely a minute after playing. . . . and I am only on the beginning of chapter 2. I have fiddled with it for an hour and am done. Returning to the store tomorrow and asking for a refund. Gaming is about relaxation - and this was in no way relaxing AT ALL.

Audiohawk
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Audiohawk on Aug 25, 11 5:05 PM
If this game sounded as good as it looks, it would be a real gem. But it was clear from the opening moments that it wasn't. We get the backstory about Briar Rose in an absolutely dry voice-over - no music or sound. Then the music & sound during game play is at too low of a resolution, sounding grainy and dull. Add 50 MB to the size of the game and make that stuff shine! Why hire Somatone to create wonderful sounds and music and then present them like that? It's like having an architect build you a house out of cardboard - no matter how good a job they do, it's going to look cheap.

The card at the opening introduced the setting as "Soctland." How does a mistake like that make it into the final game? Later there was a line about a swing creaking in the wind. When I read that, I want to hear creaking... and wind.

I really liked the look, and having to find a bunch of fragments of one thing I need was a refreshing variation for the hidden object scenes. But overall, this game wasn't nearly good enough for me.

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Aug 27, 11 4:10 PM
This is the kind of game I really enjoy. I prefer finding useful things to finding random hidden objects, and I loved the "Inspect" button that gave guidance as to what to do next. The mini-games were mostly enjoyable. I found the gameplay challenging, but not frustrating.

I said "mostly" enjoyable mini-games because the one in the bonus gameplay in which you have to memorize random symbols and then press the buttons? Yeah, hated that. Otherwise, though, it was a great game, and I'm looking forward to the next entry in the "Dark Parables" series.

CirceMoon
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by CirceMoon on Sep 4, 11 11:47 AM
I just bought this game as a CE during the CE sale that BFG offered. I've got to say that it was a pleasant surprise how much I enjoyed this game.

As others have said, this is a FROG, or fragmented object game, where you search the scene for pieces of a single, needed object that is broken up into pieces. I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy this, but I actually ended up liking it so much more than the typical junk pile searches for meaningless items that predominate HOGs. I found the fragmented object searches to make much more sense, and frankly to be easier on the eyes, than typical hidden object searches.

I also enjoyed the puzzles in this game more than most. I hate the types of puzzles where you have to keep randomly clicking, looking for a pattern, to get all the lights to illuminate or get all the colors in the right row. Those puzzles make me want to pull my hair out, and I generally just skip them. This game had only a single puzzle that I skipped, which was one where you had to memorize a list of symbols in the bonus content. Otherwise, I found the puzzles pretty good. They exercised the gray matter without driving me up the wall.

My biggest complaint about the game comes from the lackluster bonus chapter in the CE. I expect the bonus chapter to be at least 50-60 minutes long and to add something to the story. The bonus chapter here, however, only served to unlock some bonus puzzles. The CE also offers the usual wallpapers, concept art, music, and so on, but let's be honest -- most of us couldn't care less about that sort of stuff. We buy the CE for the bonus chapters and for the built-in strategy guide. Speaking of the strategy guide, it was quite good, although the game offers help in terms of the "Inspect" frames that give you an idea where to go and what to do, so I'm not sure exactly how much one would even need the strategy guide.

The final verdict on this game, for me: It's an A game. Putting the good puzzles and great game play together, I can honestly say this is one of the best HOG-type games I've played so far. It's a solid game that I highly recommend, although I would suggest the SE over the CE, as the CE content is underwhelming.

Circe

Geluvweez
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by Geluvweez on Dec 28, 11 10:59 PM
bought this on DD and am very happy with it. nice graphic and storyline

Snaffled
Marlin
Marlin
9,392 Posts

[Post New]by Snaffled on Mar 12, 12 5:32 PM
Good balance between HOG and adventure game. Lots of going back and forth and good clear graphics, music was fitting to scenes. Has some voice overs and character animations.

There are morphing objects and locating them recharges your hints. The mini puzzles are not real challenging but if you skip one you are penalized.

The fragmented objects are not always easily found since some of the scenes are rather dark and some of the objects are just smaller than normal.

The storyline holds one’s interest but when it ends, it ends abruptly…

Snaffled
Marlin
Marlin
9,392 Posts

[Post New]by Snaffled on Mar 12, 12 5:33 PM
Good balance between HOG and adventure game. Lots of going back and forth and good clear graphics, music was fitting to scenes. Has some voice overs and character animations.

There are morphing objects and locating them recharges your hints. The mini puzzles are not real challenging but if you skip one you are penalized.

The fragmented objects are not always easily found since some of the scenes are rather dark and some of the objects are just smaller than normal.

The storyline holds one’s interest but when it ends, it ends abruptly…

[Post New]by Starbright57 on May 7, 12 9:54 PM
Very disappointed. It was a fun game with puzzles that didn't leave you hanging so you couldn't finish. Then the end puzzle was one that required you have to hurry. I don't buy those types of games because I get to flustered and can't do them. You can't finish the puzzle without finishing a puzzle that makes you hurry. That puzzle should not be in a hidden object game. Now I can't use the additional added game on the collectors edition until I finish the other game. Big disappointment. Very big disappointment.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on May 14, 12 11:01 AM
This was an easy game using fragmented objects rather than hidden object word lists. The mini puzzles were logical & easy to solve. You have 20 morphing objects to find, there is no prize for completing the set.

There is no choice of mode to play so expect sparkles for the FR0G scenes & glints for objects of interest.

I was having fun until I reached the very final puzzle; you have to click on matching icons that are falling into a cauldron, the more you match the more icons appear & the harder it becomes. If like me you have painful wrists/hands this is almost impossible & there is no skip button.

Like Starbright in the previous post I too could not complete the final puzzle & so I did not see the ultimate cut scene nor, sad to say, could I play the bonus chapter. This is really frustrating & made me angry as I had wasted money on a game I could never hope to complete.

nards1975
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by nards1975 on Nov 8, 12 7:35 PM
I was able to download and play the game without any technical issues at all. As for the game itself, I really don't like FROG and it put a dampener on me thoroughly enjoying the game. I hate how the hint button gets disabled for 5 minutes as well if you skip a puzzle. All in all this game isn't for me.

Go to: