SantaBanana
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

Can anyone confirm if the SE ending is incomplete?

[Post New]by SantaBanana on Sep 28, 11 3:44 PM
There are a lot of comments in the reviews thread saying that the ending of the SE version has been "chopped off".

But these comments are just based on viewing the walkthrough on the blog. Walkthroughs, however, will never show you the ending cutscene.

Has anyone actually played to the end and watched the SE ending cutscene? It could be a different one from the one in the CE.

The SE ending cutscene might actually show a proper resolution to the story, where all the pieces you collected automatically go into the picture frame, and the boy comes home.

Sure, you don't put the crystals in and release the spirits yourself. That's the gameplay in the CE. But just because the SE doesn't have that gameplay, doesn't mean that the developers didn't find a way to wrap up the story properly.

To be fair to the developers, I don't think we should make assumptions on an incomplete storyline, until someone can actually confirm that this is so.

Edited on 09/28/2011 at 4:00:03 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

Re:Can anyone confirm if the SE ending is incomplete?

[Post New]by gingergal on Sep 28, 11 4:52 PM
I didn't want to put this in the review section as it wouldn't be a review.

But I would love someone who has actually completed the SE version of the game to post a review in the review thread.[b]

I appreciated Valdy's head up - it was needed!!

But as this is different to the normal CEs which usually is a seperate bonus game. As this one apparently has an integrated storyline, normal CE reviews to me aren't helpful.

But if there isn't an ending I would like to know, as there is no way I am going to buy this game unitl I know.

I personally would be shocked if there wasn't, as I think they would have to put in a quick cutscene or something. If they did that and the story was finished, I'd be fine.

Edited on 09/28/2011 at 4:54:48 PM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 28, 11 4:58 PM
lovely62 wrote:i just finished the game and tell you the truth I was disappointed how short the SE was,I feel like the SE should have been longer..Sorry DEV's you could have been nicer to us..I feel cheated also..The Graphics was so beautiful and i did love the music..
I think next time I will look at more reviews before i click the buy button..

This was posted in another thread.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Sep 28, 11 5:02 PM
textrekkie wrote:
lovely62 wrote:i just finished the game and tell you the truth I was disappointed how short the SE was,I feel like the SE should have been longer..Sorry DEV's you could have been nicer to us..I feel cheated also..The Graphics was so beautiful and i did love the music..
I think next time I will look at more reviews before i click the buy button..

This was posted in another thread.

Thanks textrekkie I have been scrolling through the review thread and couldn't find anyone who has actually played and finished the SE game!

Although it doesn't say how the story ended? I would take it if it was bad lovely would have mentioned it, so hopefully it was finished?

edit- I didn't mean I wanted to know how the story ended, but that it was complete in it's ending!

Edited on 09/28/2011 at 5:03:45 PM PST

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Sep 28, 11 5:07 PM
If you look at the Comments thread, lilprincess posted right above lovely62. She finished the SE and stated that while the game ended somewhat abruptly, she still thought it was a lovely game.

Puglet
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Puglet on Sep 28, 11 5:44 PM
Just worndering who hacked the ending off the game? Was it BF or the developer? I really hope it wasn't BF. I thought this was a wonderful site. I guess I have to start reading more and buying less. I can't afford CE's and have found myself surfing other games sites to pick up sales there since they haven't been orffering many interesting games lately and if they are going to start hacking off endings in SE versions I guess I'll just keep surfing other sites.

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Sep 28, 11 6:16 PM
Puglet wrote:Just worndering who hacked the ending off the game?

That would be the developer.

Puglet
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Puglet on Sep 28, 11 6:24 PM
vingilot wrote:
Puglet wrote:Just worndering who hacked the ending off the game?

That would be the developer.

Thanks! I'm glad it wasn't BF.

rugrats299
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by rugrats299 on Sep 28, 11 6:34 PM
Just to let you know though the ending of the CE wasn't that great IMO .All aroung beautiful graphics but he game was not that good.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 28, 11 9:46 PM
Well, I think it would be fair to say that by calling the 6th chapter the Bonus Chapter, it would automatically be excluded from the SE.

As to who does the actual trimming - I honestly don't know if it's BFG or the developer. And I don't know if someone, let's say someone in a department that's responsible for doing the actual trimming (if the actual trimming is done at BFG,) plays every CE game.

You see what I'm trying to say? (I don't know how anyone could - LOL. I'm almost confusing myself.) It could be that it was totally unintentional by all parties involved. Fenomen has never done a CE here before, so they could be unfamiliar with the whole process from CE to SE. If BFG does the trimming, it's possible that they didn't know that the Bonus Chapter was the ending of the game.

I just find it difficult to believe that either party would not want a game to sell, or want customers to be dissatisfied.

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Sep 28, 11 11:10 PM
I don't mean to be a curmudgeon here, but I don't see how it's possible that BFG wasn't involved in the decision to lop off the sixth chapter: BFG introduced the CEs (as opposed to the SEs); BFG must have some sort of check list that creates a CE as opposed to an SE; and BFG markets these games, so BFG obviously plays a role in determining what is a CE and what is an SE. In short, BFG is not a passive player in this decision making process but is directly responsible.

This game was clearly a SE that was turned (inelegantly) into a CE, but the difference in price had to be justified somehow, so the SE players were given the short shrift. What concerns me is that quality of play is clearly no longer an issue for BFG in determining the category for games, even though we were all promised that CEs would be rare and unusual games, which simply isn't true. I don't think the creative people are responsible; this sort of decision emerges from marketing.

I don't know why we are all surprised by this lack of corporate transparency given what is being reported in the news. Bank of America is going to fire 30,000 employees, but the CEO will get a raise to over $10 million. Hmm...how much of that raise could keep those 30,000 people employed?

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Sep 28, 11 11:21 PM
Hi there,
The SE concludes with the gaining of the last piece of the picture from the Undersea Chapter.
There is a cutscene that shows the renunion between mother and son, so there is a happy ending. And you can then go the the Trophies section to purchase trophies with your coins.
I am still not convinced that I missed much by purchasing the SE as this game was extremely easy and short IMHO, but I rather enjoyed it anyway as it was a piece of pleasant entertainment. (And I could use one of my PC credits on it.)
Cheers

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Sep 29, 11 12:14 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:Hi there,
The SE concludes with the gaining of the last piece of the picture from the Undersea Chapter.
There is a cutscene that shows the renunion between mother and son, so there is a happy ending. And you can then go the the Trophies section to purchase trophies with your coins.
I am still not convinced that I missed much by purchasing the SE as this game was extremely easy and short IMHO, but I rather enjoyed it anyway as it was a piece of pleasant entertainment. (And I could use one of my PC credits on it.)
Cheers

Thank you for a clear and detailed explanation if the story concludes or not.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 29, 11 2:38 AM
SPOILER ALERT

Anyone who is interested to see what you have to do in the bonus chapter, there is a complete walkthrough that includes the bonus chapter on that other site that does reviews, starts with a "G".

You can then make up your own minds whether or not the SE is a complete ending. For me it wouldn`t be, because you still have things to do and have to defeat the evil guy, which you do in the last chapter. And mother and son are being reunited in the bonus chapter instead in the 5th chapter, if you play the CE.

ETA to add the spoiler alert.

Edited on 09/29/2011 at 5:33:24 AM PST

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Sep 29, 11 3:49 AM
Hi fishies!

Just swimming by with a friendly reminder to include **SPOLER** tags whenever you're sharing information on the actual content of the game.

Thanks!

bfgRhone

[Post New]by RainbowExplorer on Oct 2, 11 9:43 PM
SPOILER ALERT:

Having played the SE Version to the end, it clearly felt to me that the finish was thrown together without much thought or care. It just jumped from one fantasy setting to a VERY BRIEF cutscene of the mother/son reunion, which contained only one or maybe two, sentences. There's no sense of what the son went through (during the time he was separated from his mom), nor was there any sense of the process by which the son was released from the painting, reconnected to his "spirit", then reunited with his mother. It all seemed to instantly & mysteriously happen.

To me, this game lacked both a smooth beginning & a smooth ending. By starting the game off with an audio-only cutscene (leaving us staring at a blank screen, trying to understand what we were listening to), the gamer couldn't help but be confused as to what was going on. With almost no backstory, we find the mom seeing some kind of "psychic", who puts the mom in a trance, which immediately sets her off into some unknown place, filled with paintings covering the walls - floor to ceiling. We never see the "psychic" again.

Since the scenes didn't seem to need to follow any special order, I wish they would have let us choose which ones we wanted to explore first, second, third, etc. Only the Bonus Scene (not available on the SE Version & obviously the intended ending to the game), needed to be the final painting selected.

Despite the poorly thought out start & finish to this game (they need to learn more about the art of story-telling, IMHO), I REALLY enjoyed this game. I played it on the "normal" setting, which turned out to be too easy, for me (the first time that's happened). I never had to use the Walkthrough, so the SG would have been a waste, for me. Next time, I'll play the harder version.

The creativity & beauty of the fantasy worlds was what I LOVED about the game! I enjoyed the stunning graphics, whimsical settings, charming characters, & how the painted worlds were all struggling with the SAME villain, though in different ways. Watching how the mom worked cooperatively with the painting characters was heart-warming, though rather cloying, at times. The mom didn't seem as preoccupied with rescuing her son, as most moms would be.

Sure hope the sequel will keep the charm & beauty of this game, while telling the story better!

Rainbow

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 3, 11 12:14 AM
As I had so many posts in this thread I did feel I had to come and give an update. I did buy this game and I am glad I did. It was a fun game. I was OK with the ending as it did explain as you went along what was happening.

It would have been better if the ending was fleshed out a bit more. But to be honest (IMO) it's not that type of game that the story was of major importance. It did tell you what happened although in a one sentence kind of way.

But if you like to know every detail, have every t crossed etc then the ending might be really disappointing. But if you are like me, and are more into the gameplay and enjoy the game, then you will be satisfied with the ending even if you aren't loving it.

Edited on 10/03/2011 at 1:15:53 PM PST

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Dec 14, 11 2:16 PM
Just finished CE & thanks to DragonLadyOz know SE ending is definite rip-job; likewise, CE buyers suffer rip-job too as there is no "real" bonus play.

A truly poor decision by Fenomen/BFG duo both of whom know better.

SE buyers get zero reasons why anything went on in 1st place. CE buyers at least rescue good wizard & destroy souls machine & Ethiel. This chapter is quite involved, definitely one of the better chapters. Nonetheless, this supposed bonus CE chapter is also clearly the original/intended actual ending for the game--not a bonus!

To me, it's a graphically gorgeous, creative & highly interactive game (but too many HOS) that really lets both SE & CE players down over its "ending."

DragonLadyOz wrote:SE concludes with gaining of last piece of picture from the Undersea Chapter. There is a cutscene that shows the reunion between mother and son, so there is a happy ending.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Dec 30, 11 6:48 PM
I for one loved ;this game. It was easy to follow and no walk through needed actually. I like a game that moves along well without lots of frustration on my part. Yes, the ending was a little disappointing but that's okay. It was a beautiful game and the ending was brief but I didn't mind that. I think it was a complete ending just not explained in length. It was expected though I would say.

hookt
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by hookt on Jan 15, 12 2:52 PM
Bought the SE game with the Spooky Sale this weekend and enjoyed playing it to the end. Yes, there is an ending, although it's a weak one. I don't regret buying the game as the beautiful/colorful/creative graphics, characters, music and overall gameplay outweigh the weak ending.

Still hookt on

Go to: