bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Citadels of Time Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Sep 29, 11 12:19 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Echoes of the Past: The Citadels of Time Collector's Edition? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions about the game in this thread. We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond! To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game!

A lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Edited on 09/29/2011 at 1:20:43 AM PST

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

Re:Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Citadels of Time Collector's Edition

[Post New]by equusjoy on Sep 29, 11 12:30 AM
Haven't finished the demo, but was surprised to find a game in a windowed mode. I really prefer full screen but for some reason this one doesn't have that. Never had this issue before so I know it's not my settings. It says it's wide screen and full screen but it has that black border all the way around. Have to get used to having the inventory on the top of the page, also. Regular and advanced game play. Voice overs are good, graphics nice. Everything is looking good except that black border and the inventory on top. Well, back to the demo to finish with my observations.

Happy gaming everyone,
Joy

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Sep 29, 11 12:44 AM
Strange, as mine is a wide screen and it does take up the whole screen. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it did

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Sep 29, 11 12:52 AM
I dont quite like games from this developer, I have the second Echoes as SE, Anonalies as SE, Secrets of Dark as CE and didn't own the first Echoes!

MY NEW REVIEW BASED ON THE FIRST TWO CHAPTERS!

I'm just surprised by how much i enjoy this game. Graphics and animations are wonderful, voice overs are better than ever eventhough the characters don't even move their mouth! Puzzles are fun and not too complicated, HOG scenes are also quite good with some really cool interactions. Story is a great continuation from the second one. I still don't quite like the interface of the game that the inventory bar is at the top, i just need some times to get familiar with it. Bought it

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Story: A*
Music: A*
Puzzles: A*
HOG Scenes: A
Fun: A*
Gameplay: A
Overall: A*

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Edited on 09/29/2011 at 3:16:16 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Sep 29, 11 1:21 AM
I played the full demo and loved it! I'm a big fan of this series and this edition is fantastic. It does have widescreen options and in my opinion all the bells and whistles I'm looking for in a game.

Great graphics/animations/story/voiceovers/mystery. They really are putting all the work and quality in the CE's. Haven't seen a good SE in months. I understand how some wouldn't like the "Midieval" time period, but I enjoy it. If you've played the other 2 in the series, your sure to love this one. For sure it's a buy for me, and a must try. You don't have to understand the back story, this game plays on it's own. And it's Great! Good job developers! Thanks BF, now please have a CE sale.

I rate this game: "FINE SWINE"

FINE SWINE:
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Sep 29, 11 1:22 AM
[Post New]by Lilabelle on Sep 29, 11 12:24 AM
I posted in Chit-Chat Corner on Jun 18, 11 6:06 AM have been a BIG FISH HOG player of all types since August of 2008 and three days ago I received my very first game to Beta Test. I was lucky enough to test ECHOES OF THE PAST: THE CITADELS OF TIME. I own the previous games and this will be a great addition. I played in the advanced mode and all of you who dislike sparkles will love this one, because you are on your own and it was great. The game played smoothly with no glitches, traveling was not linear but neither was it so frustrating that you got lost, but if you did the hint system was most helpful. The hidden object portion of the game was just difficult enough to give you time to enjoy the art work as you looked for your hidden object's. I found the puzzle portions of the game fun once the little gray cells went to work and got the AH-HA moment. THE CITADELS looks to be a fine game I look forward to its release.

While waiting for my download I thought to pass on my review of my Beta Test. Can not wait to see if it lives up to my expectations.

This is the third time for me playing The Citadel and I have to tell you its just as much fun to play. I consider it more of an Adventure than HOG game. You do go back and forth and pick up objects that you find along the way and since I am playing in advanced I check out every scene to check out what objects you need so when you come across them you know where they need to go.Other then the fact that that I am enjoying my revisit I can't wait to get past the first two chapters and see what awaits. The Beta had the first two chapters and it it took me a couple of hours to play. The strategy guide shows the next couple of chapters to be even longer than the first two and the Bonus to be twice as long as the first.
I now have to go to knowing that tomorrow I have a great game to look forward to playing. Have fun fishies

Edited on 09/29/2011 at 1:44:36 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Sep 29, 11 1:23 AM
I played the demo and I like it very much. Puzzles are not so easy. The HOS are great and some are different. I am still in chapter one and played for one hour.
There is a lot to do. And yes, forward and back again. But that is not a problem for me. I think hours to play!

It's a buy for me! Thank you BF and Dev's.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Sep 29, 11 1:23 AM
Overall, I like the games from Orneon very much and this one is no exception. Based on the demo the story, graphics, and gameplay are all very nice---it's a definite buy.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Sep 29, 11 1:30 AM
Hey, equusjoy, I do notice that on this game the WS option does nothing to change the screen but that's not unusual at all for quite a few games. But in a few other games I changed my resolution to 1024 x 768 to get to a full screen, and those games that need that done I keep in a separate folder on the desktop so I'll remember which ones they are---maybe that'll help you. (normal res is 1366 x 768 for me)
And WolfenRaindancer, if you see this maybe you can tell HOW you got the WS with no black bars?????????????

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Sep 29, 11 1:43 AM
Lilabelle wrote:[Post New]by Lilabelle on Sep 29, 11 12:24 AM
I posted in Chit-Chat Corner on Jun 18, 11 6:06 AM have been a BIG FISH HOG player of all types since August of 2008 and three days ago I received my very first game to Beta Test. I was lucky enough to test ECHOES OF THE PAST: THE CITADELS OF TIME. I own the previous games and this will be a great addition. I played in the advanced mode and all of you who dislike sparkles will love this one, because you are on your own and it was great. The game played smoothly with no glitches, traveling was not linear but neither was it so frustrating that you got lost, but if you did the hint system was most helpful. The hidden object portion of the game was just difficult enough to give you time to enjoy the art work as you looked for your hidden object's. I found the puzzle portions of the game fun once the little gray cells went to work and got the AH-HA moment. THE CITADELS looks to be a fine game I look forward to its release.

While waiting for my download I thought to pass on my review of my Beta Test. Can not wait to see if it lives up to my expectations.

Hi there Lilabelle,
It is always great to hear from someone who has prior experience with a game.
Thanks for posting your review of your beta here.
Cheers

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by grannyq on Sep 29, 11 1:43 AM
Well I tried this game and I definately want it, but alas will have to wait for the first of the month. The trials of a fixed income.

keeliesnanna
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by keeliesnanna on Sep 29, 11 1:45 AM
I played the demo version and i liked it! It is set in the medieval times and the graphics are nice and clear. It has fullscreen and widescreen options which did indeed fill the whole of my screen without any borders. The voice overs were good music was a little irritating but fits the game and can be turned down. You can choose two levels of play normal(with sparkles ) or advanced(without ) The hidden objects were not too easy to find but were not hard to the point you are peering at the screen wasting demo time and have beautiful clear graphics some were also interactive the inventory is at the top of the screen and that takes a little getting used to, the game moves from scene to scene quickly, the hint system is good and recharges quite quickly. the objects used are logical and seem to be needed soon after finding so not too many pairs of shoes needed. Overall. the balance of hogs and searching around seemed balanced (i like hog/adventures not a fan of too many hog scenes myself) i like this game and now i need to find the funds because as usual its a CE .

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Sep 29, 11 1:48 AM
(I've played (and thoroughly enjoyed) 33 minutes of the demo)--

This one seems to be even a step above Orneon's first two "Echoes of the Past" games. I had pretty high expectations for this when Mudrock predicted it, and so far, it's lived up to those expectations!

The intro is really good--great voice acting on the part of the witch and the narrator--what you'd expect a witch to sound like! The Options Menu is pretty standard--music and sound sliders, screen choice, cursor choice (game one works fine).

The storyline is going to present us with quite a challenge--the witch has cursed us all back in time, and has stolen clock parts and hidden them throughout the realm. We're thrust back to Medieval times to retrieve said clock parts and return things to normal.

This seems to be an Adventure-heavy, inventory-based, IHOG--my favorite type of game! The graphics are of the highest standard; one hidden-object scene so far--easily-found stuff, appropriate to the game. Music is kind of repetitive and a bit heavy--I turned down the speakers. The cursor changes to the task (arrow, pointing hand, grabbing hand, magnifying glass). The Hint "Mirror" re-ups quickly, and there is, of course, the Journal to read. Inventory items aren't the "What the...?" kind--they're pretty obvious, and (so far) useable almost right away. The entire Strategy Guide is included in the demo--WTG, developers!

If I didn't already have completed PunchCards, I'd jump on the "Buy It" button right away! But I'll wait 'til Saturday to start a new card! If you need three more punches, this is a great choice!

Regards, elldee

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Sep 29, 11 2:00 AM
Review based on the entire trial.

Great game! I've bought and played the first two of this series and I had to hold back myself to not buy this sequel unseen.
But now that I've played the demo, I see I could have purchased right away without risk. This third game is as good and interesting as the first two, maybe even better!

Thanks devs for giving us the chance to play without sparkles! I and probably many other gamers will appreciate it very much!

The story isn't new, but it's brought in a very good way. Excellent voice-overs and an interesting enough story to get you going, even more so when you've played the earlier games.

The objects can be found, although not that easily sometimes, but the search scenes aren't junkpiles, thank heaven, and the stuff to find fits the timeperiod the particular location is in.
What I like is the search the other way around; that you have to put back things you found earlier back to their original places. Nice animations also.

Minigames are original and mildy challenging, the backtracking to find and use stuff is fair enough. No need to pack extra pairs of sneakers! (That is: so far. Can only speak for the demo of course)

All in all, a 5 out of 5 star CE to me.

Enjoy!

CasualGran

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Sep 29, 11 2:06 AM
Loved the intro to this game. Great graphics and I agree with elldee's review.

Dont know if I can hold out for the new punch card. I did a beta on this game a very long time ago and loved it. I have the other 2 series and really enjoyed them.

Way to go on the SG it keeps your place lol. This game looks like there will several hours of great enjoyment.

Happy game day

edited re: I gave in and did purchase this game. The graphics are still super but I am really getting bored with the game. It is not grabbing me like the demo did. I am on the 3rd section or chapter and am taking a break from it. I dont feel the suspense I thought the demo showed.

Hopefully in a few days I will try again maybe because I am feeling under the weather the game feels lack luster at the present time. Hoping I didnt waste my money on a CE lol

Edited on 09/30/2011 at 11:16:56 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 29, 11 2:06 AM
I didn`t care much for the first "Echoes of the Past" game, but own and love the second one.

This game is just about the same in gameplay and puzzles.

The graphics are nice, the HOS (hidden object scenes) are interactive, and the objects are not too hard to find.

There is voice-over... although the people who talk are static and don`t move their mouth.

I have "widescreen" ticked, but it doesn`t fill all of my widescreen monitor on my laptop. When I declick "widescreen", I get a kind of window-mode, which is screwed up - hanging there in the right-hand corner of my laptop. LOL

Kudos for allowing us to play for an hour rather than a trial version (although I usually never finish a trial version within an hour).

Kudos for allowing us to see the whole of the SG (strategy guide), including the bonus game which, from what I can see, is no shorter and even longer than some of the other chapters.

I am sure that some peeps will find this game too easy, because it doesn`t really need much brain power to play it. But I like variety. So this game is just perfect when I don`t want to get stuck at a crossroads every couple of minutes.

This game is definitely a buy for me, but I have to think about whether I am going to get the CE or wait for the SE.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Sep 29, 11 2:14 AM
Well I have only played 29 minutes of the game and it is a definite buy for me but alas I am not going to start a new punchcard so close to the end of the month and so I will patiently wait until next week and then play it on my new computer.

When looking for the objects in the hidden object scenes remember that the game is set in medieval times ... I thought that the sandals were a backpack .

A big plus with the demo of this game is that the devs have made ALL the Strategy Guide available ... I just peeked before I exited to see what the Extras were and found that the SG consisted of the following pages ...

Chapter 1 ....... 6 - 18
Chapter 2 ....... 19 - 30
Chapter 3 ....... 31 - 54
Chapter 4 ....... 55 - 70
Chapter 5 ....... 71 - 95
Bonus game ... 97 - 124

So that gets for the devs for letting us see the total length of the game.

The minigames are all available in the Extras as well as the usual wallpaper.

I am now looking forward to next week and continuing to play this game.

Cherb

ETA ...

Although it is strange to have the inventory at the top of the screen at least it means that we will not be getting thrown out of the scene while trying to pick up an object at the bottom of the screen where the exit area is .

ETA2 ...

I have just finished the bonus game and I was left at the abrupt ending of it. I feel that it could have been done much better than a split second flash of something and then nothing because if you blinked like I did you missed it . I thoroughly enjoyed this series apart from not seeing a proper ending.

Edited on 11/28/2011 at 11:02:43 AM PST

[Post New]by Streifenbarbe on Sep 29, 11 2:18 AM
I betaed this game some time ago and was eagerly waiting for its release!
IMHO it is going to be a real good one. I like the storyline, graphics and music are fine. You can play casual or advanced mode. There are interactive HOs and scenes where you have to put back items.
The hint button recharges quickly. You can acces the SG easily and it keeps to the page where you left.
Sorry I forgot the number of chapters . But the SG has 124 pages. I got as far page 24 when the demo time was up. So the game seems to have a decent lenght.
Definitly a buy for me ( next month though when I get my second credit )
Happy gaming fishies!
Thanks Cherb fopr counting the chapters

Edited on 09/29/2011 at 6:23:52 AM PST

gentlegirl
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by gentlegirl on Sep 29, 11 2:35 AM
I have a wide screen and I have tried changing the resolution and it does not work at all. It still has the black bars on each side. A little annoying but well I guess I will have to play the game likke that. The game is amazing by the way and I really love it )))) Happy gaming

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Sep 29, 11 3:25 AM
I bought the game without trying it, knowing that Orneon games always run good on my comp. Didn't fail this time too...

I accept all the positive reviews the previous players wrote - great game!

I have only one negative comment (sort of constructive criticism): too many "modern objects" found in medieval time make the background not trusty. Spoiler:

compact disk, celular phone, open the fridge with magnetic card...

I don't care much, but sometimes it bothers me, and wish the programmers should stick to the time era objects...

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

Go to: