bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Love Story: The Beach Cottage

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Oct 1, 11 12:14 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Love Story: The Beach Cottage? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions about the game in this thread. We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond! To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game!

A lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Edited on 10/01/2011 at 12:15:09 AM PST

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

Re:Reviews for Love Story: The Beach Cottage

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Oct 1, 11 12:44 AM
Ohhhh this is a buy on sight, no demo needed game!!! Ok normally this isn't my kinda game... too slow... BUT... in the case of these Love Story games (first one was Love Story: Letters from the Past) they are just serene and lovely. The music is just relaxing, the atmosphere calm, the story sweet and it's just such a treat to play. I play relaxed but they do offer an expert mode as well. This is a little like the games that give you the circles to find objects to fill but in this case it's sea shells and you may look for numbers of the same type of object but I wouldn't call it a frog. You assemble things like a lock or ladder for example.

Try it you'll like it!

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Oct 1, 11 12:52 AM
I have to agree, this is a nice, sweet, relaxing game. I liked the first one and I am enjoying this one, too. I will try it on expert mode because this seems just a little too easy for me. Of course I may change my mind after I try expert mode. lol

Happy gaming,
Joy

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Oct 1, 11 12:56 AM
I didn't care much about the first one but this one seems interesting! And yes, it's a BUY for me

After i'm getting a bit tired of dark, cursed and creepy HOGs, this is a great new change! Story is really creative and the most important "Romantic". Graphics are great, some scenes are really beautiful, music are well made, puzzles are easy and HOG scenes aren't difficult! The only thing i will complain is that there're no voice overs and there're too many things to collect and so i can't really remember which one i need where? Overall, it's a great great game!

Grades:

Graphics: A
Story: A*
Music: A
Puzzles: B
HOG Scenes: A
Fun: A
Gameplay: B
Overall: A

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Oct 1, 11 1:30 AM
hi all.

I have to echo everything gamergirl has said.

The only reason I downloaded it was because it sounded reminiscent of love letters which was a beautiful game.

After 40 mins of play, I have the following comments.

The graphics are beautiful crystal clear and a real treat to old eyes.

The music is mellow, unobtrusive & of a 1920's nature.

I am playing in easy mode with no interactive help. The game is largely inventory based and things are not too difficult to find because if you scroll our mouse over the screen, your curser will turn into a hand if you find something.

I have done 1 hidden object scene so far & all of the objects were of a good size and obvious but so well placed took some finding, excellent there & the 1 puzzle I have encountered so far again took a tiny bit of thinking but wasn't frustratingly difficult, excellent again.

I tried out the hints just for this review & you get a clear trail of hearts to the object & a very fast refil.

What is captivating about this for me is the story. ( as in letters although I did feel sorry for her recently deceased second husband LOL) I don't know enough yet but it does have a sinister feel to it, hints of a tragedy that will unfold.

SPOILER ON STORY DIRECTION: Highlight to read:

She can't bring herself to look at the light house. When she was a little girl she made friends with the cutest of kids, a little boy who lived in the lighthose with his father. I hope I am so wrong about thinking.........

The woman is 58 years old & has lost both her parents Mum first & more recently Dad. That bit has made me touchy because it is personal, but although the subject matter may not be ones first choice for a game, it is a fact of life & tastefully dealt with.

I did end up buying Echo's & still playing it, but I am enjoying this one so much more.

Thank you BFG & the Devs.

PS, I have no idea as to the length & will update later if I can shed some light on that.

Jojo

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Oct 1, 11 2:09 AM
I like this game. The graphics are so crisp and clear. I enjoy a good love story. I am enjoying this game alot and I enjoyed "Letter's from the Past". The music is beautiful and it has widescreen. I normally turn down the music. The objects are easy enough to find. It is so refreshing to see a different game for a change. I'm so tired of the spooky and creepy games. This game is a buy for me for sure, and a must try. What a lovely game BF, thanks. More Please!

I rate this game: "PIGLET"

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Oct 1, 11 2:25 AM
This is a really lovely Hidden Object (H0) game; if you found the first in the series (Letter from the Past) rather boring don’t let that put you off trying The Beach House. This is a much better game; there is still quite a lot of dialogue but it is skippable & there is not quite so much of it. I would have liked voiceovers but that is my personal preference.

The graphics really are excellent ( no problems finding items what a treat) & the artwork is nice enough but the best thing is the music which is wonderful & really suits the game. The background sounds go well with each scene too.

In Easy mode the hint recharges at 15 seconds, there are sparkles & the inventory (which is a row of shells) gives an outline of any objects you need to find as you find out what you require. In Expert mode there are no outlines of objects, no sparkles that I found in the demo & the hint is 40 seconds. There is a misclick penalty of a cursor loop de loop.

The H0 scenes vary from the usual lists to having to find say 12 things that ‘go together’ or 12 of the same object but you have to move items or perform actions in the scene to locate those objects; a nice variety which adds to the fun. The mini games were fun to play & not too difficult.

I have one downside to note & that is the loading screen; it is annoying having to wait for the next screen; at least it does not take too long but it does tend to take you ‘out of the story’.

This will be on my list of games to buy for October

Edited on 10/01/2011 at 5:22:36 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 1, 11 2:30 AM
From the male perspective-------------I actually tried the demo thinking oh what the heck and I suddenly found the demo time was GONE because the game is so well done and the story is interesting, the graphics are crystal clear, the puzzles are unique, the theme is captivating, and the overall gameplay is terrific. A very different, very well done change of pace. So now I guess I've got to try the first one in the series too. I'm old enough to know never to judge a book by its cover and this game certainly reinforces that notion. Great, great game!

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Oct 1, 11 2:46 AM
I enjoyed the first one and this one is good too. It took me about 2.5 hours to complete it. I like the game play, and the puzzles were fun and just hard enough that I could do them without pulling my hair out in frustration. Voice overs would have made it better, and I thought the ending was rather abrupt, and wish they had drawn that out just a bit more. Even so, I hope they do a third one. I love the dark and scary, eerie mysteries, but a good love story is always a nice change. And there really aren't many of them. Epic Adventures: La Jangada is one that comes to mind. That one was really good, and a super long game. Extremely satisfying.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 1, 11 4:27 AM

It took me about 4 hours but I was definitely not in a hurry to finish it. I stopped and looked at the scenery quite often and didn't skip any mini-games.

A real palate cleansing happy ending.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Oct 1, 11 5:29 AM
TeamSD wrote: puzzles are easy and HOG scenes aren't difficult! The only thing i will complain is that there're no voice overs and there're too many things to collect and so i can't really remember which one i need where?

See, now for me, easy puzzles and HOG scenes that aren't difficult would be a strong negative. I like when they challenge me and make me use the grey cells.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 1, 11 5:54 AM
I spent 2 1/2 hours playing this game (a record even for me), but I think that if it had been any longer it would have gotten to the point where I would have been bored. For me, this kind of game needs to be rather on the short side instead overly long.

I didn`t care for the first "Love Story" game - was nice to start off with, but got boring and tedious very quickly.

However, I really enjoyed playing this game. Lots of different places to go, lots of nice puzzles to do (loved them) and, although items were often rather difficult to see and rather small, I did enjoy the HOS (hidden object scenes).

Graphics were nice, and so was the background sound. The HINT button recharged fast, and I also used it quite often outside the HOS, where it told me where to look next when I was stuck.
I could have taken longer if I hadn`t relied so much on the HINT button to show me where to look next, and if I hadn`t skipped one or two puzzles, but the 2 1/2 hours I played was just perfect for this particular game.

SPOILER ALERT

"Go over with the cursor if you want to read the following:

The story itself was a little cheesy, and I could only shake my head at the stupidity of the guy NOT having gone to the girl`s father and told him that he was, after all, still alive, so the father could get in contact with his daughter and tell her. I mean, the girl`s father only died a year earlier, and still lived at the beach next door to the boy.
But no, instead the boy says he went to NY to find her, but couldn`t...
So he just gave up looking for her and instead threw bottles with little messages into the sea? Isn`t that typical male?
*sigh*

ETA: white text colour

Edited on 10/01/2011 at 10:54:55 AM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Oct 1, 11 5:56 AM
An absolutely beautiful game. I played the first one, liked it well enough, and was very interested in this one. It is a bit on the easy side for my taste. Although it had some very unique mini games I found that most of them gave me no challenge, The same with the hidden object scenes.
The story is fantastic and makes me want to buy it just to see the ending. Unfortunately I finished exactly half of the game in the hour trial period so it's not a buy for me. I need to get more for my money.

I give this a generous out of 5. To easy and to short. Lovely graphics and story.

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,388 Posts

[Post New]by sandebeach on Oct 1, 11 6:22 AM
Started playing the demo and stopped to buy after 30 minutes, like other reviewers, I love this game, it is a pleasure to have a real-life lead character who has slightly more grey hair than me. I loved the first Love Story, and this one is even better (and a nice change from the darker games I have been playing). The graphics are clear and bright, wonderful details to the house, and the music is relaxing and from the 40's or 50's (note to developers, I would love this type of game with music from the 60's and 70's, some of the greatest music came from the British bands and American groups from that time ). Has some H0G scenes, but unique ways to find items, I am enjoying the change. Have to get back to the story, I am only in the cave after 50 minutes, so I am playing slower than others. Thanks for a wonderful game to start this month's punchcard.

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by Poem123 on Oct 1, 11 6:27 AM
This is a definite buy for me (punch card).

Graphics are crisp and clear. Adventure part is interesting and draws you into the story (using inventory-based problems and solutions). Hidden object scenes are very well done (excellent actually) and have a mix of different approaches (standard find from a list, remove undesired items, interactive/static and the cursor works great) and can lead to puzzles or further areas. Puzzles are intuitive and not too difficult. I played on expert mode and found it to be a good pace for me.

Suggestion: take your time with this game. There is no need to rush. Enjoy the artwork and follow the story at your leisure. It's kind of like a book, where you want to peak at the last chapter to see what happens - but try not to skip anything.

EDIT: ok, I made sure I took my time but finished the game quicker than expected. I have to add, it is a very short game. However quality wins over quantity in this case. The game ends kind of abruptly. I loved every minute of it though, so of course, I wanted it to go longer.

Edited on 10/01/2011 at 7:41:36 AM PST

caseymom
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by caseymom on Oct 1, 11 8:16 AM
I agree with all of you...this is a buy on sight!!!! I loved the first one, and when I clicked on to BF today and saw this, I bought it....no demo. Sometimes you just need a nice relaxing game without all the brain strain of the regular ones (which I DO like very much). Nice change of pace. Good job, BF.

Just finished it...a little short, but good story. I think I could have improved the ending to be even more smaltzy, but there is nothing like a good chick flick game on a Sat. afternoon. Think they could have added a bit more to the final chapters but all in all, good graphics, good music, good story and not extremely difficult. I liked it...and not one bat, drop of blood or skeleton in it!!!

Edited on 10/01/2011 at 2:24:06 PM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 1, 11 8:35 AM
A chick game like the chick flicks. I think most guys would be turned off by this game. However, did give me the weepies - loves eternal quest and all. Okay game. I like my games more challenging and with more puzzles and less HOGS. It's okay but even as a gal, a little too easy and too many HOG scenes. A bone from BF to quell those of us who have seen way too many CE's lately.

sleuven
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by sleuven on Oct 1, 11 8:35 AM
LovetoMissLisa wrote:I like this game. The graphics are so crisp and clear. I enjoy a good love story. I am enjoying this game alot and I enjoyed "Letter's from the Past". The music is beautiful and it has widescreen. I normally turn down the music. The objects are easy enough to find. It is so refreshing to see a different game for a change. I'm so tired of the spooky and creepy games. This game is a buy for me for sure, and a must try. What a lovely game BF, thanks. More Please!

I rate this game: "PIGLET"

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)

I agree - this is a lovely, sweet and relaxing game Very different from the spooky, dark games of recent - although I also love those
It's a definite buy for me!

sleuven
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by sleuven on Oct 1, 11 8:37 AM
Absolutely love this game - it's very relaxing and not spooky or dark for a change.

Definite buy for me

Fransje66
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,217 Posts

[Post New]by Fransje66 on Oct 1, 11 8:43 AM

Totally OD-ing on silly games like this.

Go to: