brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

Comments on the DD of Oct. 2, 2011

[Post New]by brookings on Oct 2, 11 12:03 AM
Hello fishies,
Has anyone played this game, and what do you think?

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

Re:Comments on the DD of Oct. 2, 2011

[Post New]by cll1950 on Oct 2, 11 12:25 AM
Was wondering myself. Seems to have gotten very mixed reviews. I don't want an epic story, just something for a bit of enjoyable side play.

Edit for content; Walkthrough on the "other" site.

Edited on 10/02/2011 at 12:31:39 AM PST

silentpages
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by silentpages on Oct 2, 11 12:54 AM
I have played 25 minutes so far & found it enjoyable. Will probably buy.

The story's a little creepy, but in general the hog parts are well lit instead of dark and gloomy. I so don't like the really dark games where I have to turn up the brightness on my monitor to the point that when I check my email I think I'm having a stroke!!!

I'm mostly a tm player, with a few hogs thrown in. I guess me liking a hog is high praise.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Oct 2, 11 1:01 AM
This is a very enjoyable game. I've bought it here at BF when it was the TGT and I've not regretted that purchase. Clear graphics, OK story, scrollable search scenes and easy to find objects.

Fairly easy game, admitted, but certainly worth buying for the DD price!

CasualGran

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Oct 2, 11 1:07 AM
i don't know whether this helps but I bought the game this morning without re-trying because it was on my "appropriate" list

I did the original demo when it first came out as always and then I "file" it according to what I think.
This one I rated (for me) not quite worth full price but more than just a DD.

I don't like straight HOGs nor games with timers or puzzels that can't be skipped and I like a story with plenty of interaction so it must have met these criteria but do try it for yourselves, this was just my impression at the time.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Oct 2, 11 1:13 AM
silentpages wrote:I have played 25 minutes so far & found it enjoyable. Will probably buy.

The story's a little creepy, but in general the hog parts are well lit instead of dark and gloomy. I so don't like the really dark games where I have to turn up the brightness on my monitor to the point that when I check my email I think I'm having a stroke!!!

I'm mostly a tm player, with a few hogs thrown in. I guess me liking a hog is high praise.

Please don't stroke out on us silentpages!

Thanks for the reviews, I think I remember the doing the beta. OK for the DDprice.

Edited on 10/02/2011 at 1:15:47 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 2, 11 2:26 AM
This game was vaguely familiar but there were 2 Columbus games released about the same time. It wasn't in my History so couldn't remember why I passed on it. I just went to the original game forum from a year ago and to my surprise LOL lo and behold read my own comments. How nice, like having a game diary saved for me.

I just d/l on my 17" laptop, widescreen and it displays wide which so few do. Beautiful, no black borders. Played about 40 min and it's just what I'm looking for, like the fun simpler ihogs before things got more difficult (for me) with all the adventuring sneakers required, no need for a WT or SG in those days. What fun!!

What I wrote was while I still had a 15" widescreen laptop and had display problems. Although it does have Options for resolution changes right upfront, I wrote that I had black lines and the bottom was blacked out, covering the items and inventory lists. The same month I upgraded to this 17.3, ratio 9.6 now no problems.

It has some neat features, a Scroll to pan wider on the screens. This must be for regular size monitors to move left to right for more of the scenes. I opted for the scroll but so far, 40 min into the game I haven't had a screen that used it, maybe already the whole wide picture if you have widescreen.

Perfect game for me now, bright colorful scenes, altho the story may be a bit eerie, it's made for a fun play. You get a flashlight to use in a dark room (just one so far) and goggles for weird color in ghost scenes, like going thru a portal. The hint system is fun, an archeologist's brush will go to target and dust it off a biti to see it better, wow. No misclick penalty, I'm not playing Expert so get the glints and sparkles and guidance I need. Just click anywhere to lower the items list and inventory appears. No arrow down to mess you up leaving when you just want inventory.

It's about as much brainwork as I am capable of investing in a game just now, recovering from surgery and just need light entertainment, funstuff. I read further into the old reviews and grinned reading good reviews from some regulars back then loving it, who may turn a nose down now. But hey, if you are new at interactive hidden objects, using inventory, confused with all the locations to remember in most newer games now, here's a perfect one to start on. Or, nostalgic like me, go back to for a few hours you need not keeps notes for, so far no headbangers. In fact, I haven't come across a mini or puzzle yet - yet.

Edited on 10/02/2011 at 2:50:32 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 2, 11 2:45 AM
Cont post. It saved my place when I left to buy and come here to post. No starting over. I suggest you read the tutorial explaining how to use the features, I always do as they may differ from game to game. No problem with cursor. I'm on the ship and ambient sounds of birds and waves nice, relaxing. Hey, there is a murderer on board, some suspense going so got to get off of the ship for now but doesn't feel scarey in broad daylight. Oh, and did I mention decent size objects to see? A few I didn't but the Hint brush is fun and recharges quickly. Thought I was stumped once when gears appeared on a ghost and couldn't figure what to do, hint or task told me what to use. I'd have figured that out easily if I had all my grey cells working. Sleepy again, must be the meds.

HEY - reminder, the DDs this month are for a good cause, so whatever, spring for 3 bucks,, get a punch, and go on knowing you are helping in cancer research. Felix will take care of the rest, you don't have to send them a check or use a stamo.

silentpages
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by silentpages on Oct 2, 11 2:56 AM
cll1950 wrote:
silentpages wrote:I have played 25 minutes so far & found it enjoyable. Will probably buy.

Please don't stroke out on us silentpages!

Thanks for the reviews, I think I remember the doing the beta. OK for the DDprice.

ccl, thanks for your concern, but i long since stopped buying games that made me see the "light" when I exited lol.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Oct 2, 11 4:04 AM
I really don't know why I did't buy this game than.
Tryed the demo again and I like it. So, it's a buy for me.

Almost I would not buy this game, because I thought there was a glitch in the game. I had a black screen and quit the game. Come back and still a black screen. I forgot to use the flaslight.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Oct 2, 11 4:09 AM
This is a hidden object with lots of places to explore; from the options menu you can select Expert so there are no sparkles or if you play on Easy mode the sparkles are very subtle. The default screen size meant I could not see the top or bottom of the scene but the resolution can be changed & then it fit my widescreen perfectly.

I found the graphics a little dated so objects can be a bit indistinct however on some scenes you can turn on Scrolling – this widens the screen & makes the objects larger which really helps. You can switch the scrolling on & off as needed.

The hint recharges at 1-1/2 minutes. You are given a backpack inventory, a flashlight & a pair of goggles (not all at once). You will need the goggles as in some scenes you will find a portal to the ‘otherworld’ & if you do not click on the goggles all you will see is a white screen. If on the other hand the screen is entirely black then remember to click on the flashlight.

There is a voiceover in the prologue but none during the game, the dialogue is skippable; in addition there is very little music during play, just background sounds which are very good. The music when it does play is a little spooky & pleasant to listen to.

Bobbie53
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Bobbie53 on Oct 2, 11 5:24 AM
Hello everyone:

I am enjoying this game. Came out to see what everyone else was saying. All looks good and it is for a good cause. I will buy this game.

Since all DDs this month have a donation from BFG going to a good cause, I will buy unless I already own it or it does not function on my PC.

Thank you Big Fish for your thoughtfulness.

[Post New]by jailbird400 on Oct 2, 11 6:56 AM
some items are behind the inventory bar and i cannot click on them. what am i doing wrong?...thanks fishies

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Oct 2, 11 7:18 AM
Oops sorry jailbird400 - I meant to put that in my comment.

When I could not find an item & clicked hint & it appeared to be behind the inventory bar I just clicked on the inventory bar where the hint indicated & that worked (it only happened once to me).

During the game I did find that the inventory (or task as it is labelled in the game) did normally go off screen when I was near the bottom of the screen but not always which was a bit frustrating.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Oct 2, 11 12:43 PM
I tried this game, and didn't like it at all. The items are very easy to find, but I just didn't care for the game at all. I don't like having to use flashlights to see for one thing. I already donate to the cancer cause, so I don't feel badly about passing on this game.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 2, 11 12:58 PM
At the DD price it's a great buy. Graphic's are clear and story is cute.. Haven't run across any puzzles so it might be a straight HOG game. So far haven't found it to be a very hard game so don't know if you would like if you like games that challenge you.

Edited on 10/02/2011 at 1:00:06 PM PST

vervaine
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,122 Posts

[Post New]by vervaine on Oct 2, 11 1:04 PM
This game is very easy - I have no problems with H0 scenes and I hate H0 - puzzles are very easy too. I played for 30 minutes and it was almost a straight H0G, with just one very simple puzzle.

+ very easy H0 scenes
+ non-annoying voice over
+ very clear graphics
+ true widescreen

- not nearly enough puzzles
- too much H0
- almost no soundtrack.

Story was okay, I guess. Nothing special. I liked this game though, and decided to buy without finishing the demo first. I do it mostly to support the breast cancer awareness month, but I hope the game won't be disappointing.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Oct 2, 11 2:00 PM
Decided to pick this up today at DD price, especially since BFG is donating $1.00 off each DD to Breast Cancer Awareness. Win/Win!

As noted, there are a couple of gimmicks, the flashlight and the goggles which need to be used on occasion. I generally shy away from games with dark scenes and flashlights with just a tiny circle of light -- but this flashlight has a large bright circle of light, roughly 1/4 of my 4:3 screen, so no problems.

I enjoy games with music and ambient nature sounds, so I wish there were more sounds. But then many players turn off game sounds, so they'll likely be very happy it's a fairly quiet game.

It's got alot of HOG screens. Light interactivity using inventory, plus the aforementioned flashlight and goggles. The storyline is bit of a mystery. Haven't run into a puzzle or mini-game in first 1/2 hour, so not sure if there are any -- which is fine with me sometimes. Makes for a few peaceful hours.

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Oct 2, 11 2:23 PM
This is a beautiful game. The graphics, music, gameplay are all well done. The game is bright and not too challenging even on expert mode, which I played, but the story is a little dry and boring to me so I will skip this game.

For the excellence of all the elements in the game I give this game

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Oct 2, 11 5:14 PM
I was a little on the fence about this game as I was playing the demo. It has some elements (the lighting in the goggle scenes and the "whooo" sound in the background of these scenes in particular) and the flashlight scenes that are bothering me. I had to keep turning the sound off during these scenes and found it annoying. But I have a migraine and am very conscious of light and sound today , so I am going set those dislikes aside, purchase and hope for the best. It does have many good qualities as others have aready written and maybe I will be as taken as they are when I feel better. Either way it is for a really good cause which as someone else has already said makes it a win/win!
Happy Gaming All

Go to: