bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Reviews for Snackjack

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Oct 3, 11 1:23 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Snackjack? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

Re:Reviews for Snackjack

[Post New]by Bpup on Oct 4, 11 7:03 AM
Well, since there wasn't anything posted in this forum, I thought that I'd give this game a try and see what's what.

This is basically a variation on the card game 21, set in a Midway/carnival environment. Ambient sounds include carousel music and the barker telling you to "Step right up and try your luck" and other things like that. The object of the game is to make matches of cards totaling 21. When you do so, the pig on the screen gets fed a snack. The first round consists of two games. In the first game, you have to earn 9 snacks for the pig, and in the second game you have to earn 11. If you don't reach that total, you can replay the round; you can't advance to the next round until you beat the round you are on. Each game has a bonus round in which your card hand (you have four in each game) has to beat the dealer's.

This game is timed. You have 70 seconds once you start the deal to earn as many snacks for the pig as you can.

The background story seems to be that you are trying to populated a rest home for champion pigs, as you win each round. Since I didn't get past the first round, I'm not quite sure of exactly how that works.

Game play was smooth; I didn't experience any glitches. The only options seem to be sound on/off and wide-screen/windowed (need to press the ESC key to get it windowed). Graphics were cartoon-style. I liked the ambient sounds in the background; they gave the game atmosphere.

You earn snacks for having a card hand totaling 21, for using 5 cards in one hand to total 21, and for having a sequential order of one-card hands e. g. 4-5-6-7.

I have to say, I didn't really understand how the snacks were counted. The pig is standing on a platform with a number on it, and as it's tossed a snack the number would increase. But sometimes the platform had a starting number already on it when the game started and the number would eventually total more than the snacks I supposedly needed to with that particular game, yet I would lose the game when the points were totaled up, so I didn't really understand that bit.

21 isn't one of my favorite games, and I don't like when it is timed because I'm just too slow in figuring out which card should go where, so this isn't going to be a keeper for me. But if you like the game of 21, definitely give this game a try. The developer obviously tried to put a new spin on it with the subplot of the champion pig rest home and I'm curious to know what that's all about.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Oct 4, 11 7:16 AM
Great review, Bpup.

Exactly what I understood in my demo time. Reminds me
of "Catch 21", a game on the TV game channel. As a
former Blackjack dealer, I do like the game, but woe is
me, not with a timer and so many different ways to earn
the snacks, not simply making 21's/

It's a cute little game for those who deal well with
timers.

Lavender101
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Lavender101 on Oct 4, 11 8:25 AM
Yikes! This game is tough! I played the full hour and only got one pig on my farm. I like a challenge, but I don't know.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 4, 11 11:05 AM
This is an okay game only. I prefer the game mechanic from card games like in "Fairway" much more. But if you like that type of solitaire game, this could be your game. For me its a no buy

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Oct 4, 11 5:25 PM
I like this. I'll wait until it's a DD and get it at that time. (and it's the sort of game that will probably be a DD soon).

If you used to like Thunderbolt 21 on bigsea games, which I did, you'll excel at this and like it. It's the same idea. The instructions are sparse though, and even by the time I stopped playing, I still didn't understand everything..like I really don't know how big the pig has to be before you can move on..I got him to 102 pounds but the game was still over.

21s that exceed the necessary limit in each round, are carried over to the next round, and before the round starts, the pig eats those, bringing your tally to get, down by that many. Easy at first..then progressively harder.

I like the carnival theme, the simple graphics, the funny expressions and sound effects. Like most card games, it's addicting, and more fun when you get the hang of how to play 21 most efficiently.

P.S. When I first started playing Thunderbolt 21, I had NO CLUE how to effectively get 21s. But finally I figured it out. More enjoyable after that!

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by Poem123 on Oct 5, 11 12:00 AM
Oh no, I thought this was awful - and I rarely think that about any game.

This is a flash game. It's designed to play in a browser, and that's where it belongs. It could be a cute lunch-time filler on a rainy day. It's not something to pay full price to download.

As noted, you need to make card combinations totaling 21 in order to feed your pig. Timed. I got 2 pigs on my farm before I couldn't take going back to Round 1 over again. At one point, I restarted when I noticed my name was "farmer". It put me back in the old game. It's what should be a free-to-play browser game.

[Post New]by hpk2020 on Oct 5, 11 6:32 PM
I also think it's too hard. It's demotivating to have to go back to round 1 over and over. Frustrating, annoying. If it was just a little easier I would have liked it much better. The pigs are cute and the gameplay was quick and I liked that.

ladyblu11
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by ladyblu11 on Oct 10, 11 3:34 PM
I really wanted to like this game as something different.

Pros: a cute variation of BlackJack and makes you think quickly!

Cons: HATE having to start over at the beginning if you don't make on level.
It took a web search to find out the scoring ( it wasn't clear to me at all through the game)

BIG CON: The scoring is not correct. I thought it was skipping some of my "snacks" so I slowed down to really take notice. At the end of each level when you play the dealer (your 4 hands against his one hand) it frequently missed some of my winning hands. A 19 is higher than a 4, right??? Since the dealer game at the end of every level is so important to try to get the 7 snacks to carry over into the next round this really hurts the playability for me. You really need those to advance to the higher levels.

So even though I bought it, I do regret it.

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Oct 11, 11 7:49 PM
I really wanted to like this...however, the game play was boring after the first pig. I feel that with these type of games, its important to make bonus levels or activities that keep the attention of the player. Nice try...

saram50
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by saram50 on Oct 15, 11 5:07 PM
I played it but I see that if you cannot think fast enough, it is hard to get enough points to progress to the next level. I don't like games that have forced timers. I will pass on this one.

Go to: