bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for The Chronicles of Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Oct 5, 11 12:10 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of The Chronicles of Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions about the game in this thread. We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond! To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game!

A lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Chronicles of Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Oct 5, 11 12:56 AM
Same problem as mentioned in the technical posts, what is worse I lost all interest by the time I hit the escape button for the third time just to get to the first puzzle game. This was not the only distraction, the game had no sparkles which is just fine with me I like that, what I do not like is that every time you do hit on an item a popup arrives to tell you you don't need that yet.Ran around for ten minutes finding objects not yet needed. Then up comes another popup telling you now you need those objects so run around again collecting. Anyway I think you get the idea. Since my criteria for a game is it has to be fun this one loses out big time. Oh well the DD of the day if I remember correctly from the demo was fun and looks like a good substitute and also for a good cause.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Oct 5, 11 1:04 AM
Same here, the only game I'm getting today is the DD.

What a mess this game is.

\Good night fish

poopysue
Shark
Shark
10,858 Posts

[Post New]by poopysue on Oct 5, 11 1:11 AM
Makes HDO games look good!

abdulz69
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by abdulz69 on Oct 5, 11 1:19 AM
I think this game has a lot of charm, and the graphics are very nice, but I haven't been able to find anything. Oh well, yesterday's game, the Pied Piper is excellent!

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Oct 5, 11 1:26 AM
Better than some other HOGs but still not worth pruchasing.

The story itself was really good as i read from the book but this game makes it pretty bad, frustrating and confusing. Each time you pick an object, it will say that you don't need that right now (so why can't we just pick it up?}! HOG scenes are OK, a bit on the hard side, puzzles are boring and not fun. The gameplay is bad, you need to do things in EXACT order annoying.... Graphics are beautiful and nice anyway. Will buy it as DD but not for $7

Grades:

Graphics:A
Story: C
Music: B
Puzzles: D
HOG Scenes: B
Fun: C
Gameplay: D
Overall: C

My grades can be as high as high as A* or as low as F!

Edited on 10/05/2011 at 1:27:03 AM PST

[Post New]by Mephibosheth on Oct 5, 11 1:29 AM

Edited on 10/06/2011 at 6:46:39 PM PST

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Oct 5, 11 1:42 AM
Annoying as hell. The minigames come with only the most cursory of instructions, and the hint button is irksome. Anne-the-Hint-Giver doesn't tell you what you should do or show you where a missing object is; she simply says, "Have you already tried there?" and shows you a miniature of a scene...often, the one you just left. Yes, I KNOW I need something in that scene--would you mind telling me where it is or how to get it?

I skipped through most of the minigames to see if the game got any better as I progressed. It didn't.

Finally, I have to say something about the spelling in this game--it's awful. It's "useful," not "usefull." And there's NO excuse for "Rosalinde" when she is called "Rosaline" in Shakespeare's play. When a game can't even be bothered to get the name of a canonical character right, I've got no use for the game. It's sloppy, sloppy work.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 5, 11 1:54 AM
An excellent example of what might have been a great game. Graphics are good, but this game is FULL of glitches. Had to start over to get the marble game to work----then later picked up a rock (presumably to break the window) and it disappeared then the little hint girl (is it Ann?) would work no more. With a MAJOR fix, this could be a good game, but is so full of glitches now it isn't worth the time at all. The devs tried, but not enough attention to all the bugs.

crispypot
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by crispypot on Oct 5, 11 1:56 AM
Good morning fishies, seems like we have another naff game.
did anyone pick up the brick to smash the window ?????? i thought i had but now it seems to have vanished, any tips anyone i cant get any further

Agent_99
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Agent_99 on Oct 5, 11 2:01 AM
poopysue wrote:Makes HDO games look good!

High Five

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by Poem123 on Oct 5, 11 2:02 AM
Unfortunately, I couldn't bring myself to finish the demo. I really wanted to like this. It's Shakespeare!

It has beautiful and detailed artwork but many objects are difficult to see. Graphics are crisp and clear and the historical period is well illustrated. Items are appropriate and the colors, rich and vibrant. Romeo and Juliet look rather like Hollywood starlets, but that's fine.

There are voiceovers but the cut scenes are tedious still shots behind a slowly narrated story. At least you can skip them.

It tries to be different (again this makes me want to like it) by integrating all hidden objects within the adventure scenes. The problem? You are constantly messaged with "That might be useful but I can't use it yet." Perhaps you see a small key but can't pick it up. A short while later you see a box with a matching padlock. You find your way back to the key... and can't pick it up. You go back to the locked box and click on it to generate the key as a hidden object, then back to get the key, then back to open the box.

I feel the developers put a lot of effort into the look and feel of this game but the gameplay itself is fiddly and tedious. It really is a pity as there is potential to re-tell a wonderful story here that would normally appeal to a lot of players.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 5, 11 2:07 AM

Oops, my take is for Comments, not a Review since I didn't get past the first puzzle I'll move to other thread and dele here. Sorry

Edited on 10/05/2011 at 2:18:14 AM PST

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Oct 5, 11 2:20 AM
I didn't have any technical issues with the game so that was a plus. I agree with most, but I did finish out the demo. It wasn't so bad, if you just followed the tasks in order. I got a bit frustrated maybe in a couple of places, I admit. There were a lot of scenes to skip through, also. I agree with someone who mentioned the HdO games, reminds me of one of those! Didn't come across any ****'s scenes, just items themselves and then a few mini games in the demo. There was a lot of running around back and forth. I guess I have mixed feelings about this game I would rate it a 5 out 10 .

alfresco
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by alfresco on Oct 5, 11 2:33 AM
Fifteen minutes of play and it went into the dumpster. Very dissapointing.

Agent_99
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Agent_99 on Oct 5, 11 2:37 AM
(quoted from - Mephibosheth -Lastly, one of the worst flaws is that the girl is the one to provide direction. Poor plot device, a la Wuthering Heights!)

What is exactly wrong with a girl providing direction?!?

** I have deleted the rest of my post. I apologize for my rudeness. I had a terrible day, but that is no excuse. **

Edited on 10/08/2011 at 1:55:09 PM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 5, 11 2:49 AM
Agent_99 wrote:(quoted from - Mephibosheth -Lastly, one of the worst flaws is that the girl is the one to provide direction. Poor plot device, a la Wuthering Heights!)

What is exactly wrong with a girl providing direction?!?

(Removed by moderator)

Edited on 10/06/2011 at 4:00:37 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Oct 5, 11 3:03 AM
I like this game alot! This is an Adventure game not a Hog. For those of us who love adventure games, this is a good one. I had no problems at all. I enjoyed the story and the voiceovers are really good. I love alot of voiceovers and reading. It adds to the play of the game for me. Adventure games are very involved and difficult. But for advanced players, this game will play just fine. I really appreciate the art of this game and all the work that went into it. This game is a buy for me. All large file and adventure game lover's should try this game. But if your just a hog lover, you might not like this game. I love it! Give it a try and take your time to read how the cursor works, that will lead you through just fine. Enjoy! I know I will!

I rate this game: "PIGLET" for advanced large file and adventure game lovers.

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 5, 11 3:44 AM
What a annoying game. Every time you click on an item you will get a comment from the main person in the game. I like the storyline (Romeo and Juliet), but the game isn`t a wellmade game and a definete no buy for me

Nortank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by Nortank on Oct 5, 11 3:59 AM
I love HOGs and adventure games, and play the demos for the hour, just for something to do, but I quit this one after about 15 minutes. The objects were at times so hidden, I only found them with a lucky click - and having to go back to get objects only after you have discovered where you need them is really annoying. Going in the bucket.

Go to: