bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Oct 6, 11 12:12 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Edition? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions about the game in this thread. We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond! To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game!

A lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Edition

[Post New]by TeamSD on Oct 6, 11 12:53 AM
I love this one much more than other ERS games, another excellent one!!!

There're two modes, one with sparkles and one with none. Graphics and animations are fantastic as expected. Voice overs are one of the best, also the music! Puzzles are very fun, nice twists from the classic style puzzles. HOG scenes involve some cool interactions and it's not too difficult. The theme may be similar to other ERS games but this one is more creepier in my opinion, it's more Gothic style! Loved it, bought it!

Length (Fast Players): 3 Hours and 30 Mins
Bonus: 40 Mins

Review on the Bonus chapter: The Bonus chapter gives us around 40 mins which is not long and not short, just right! In my opinion, the bonus chapter didn't add anything to the main game, you can just finish the main game and know everything you need to. The bonus chapter change the ending of the main game a bit and including some twists and turns but as i said, it's unnecessary. I loved the bonus, puzzles are unique and i think it's better than the main game LOL, well done ERS!

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Story: A*
Music: A*
Puzzles: A
HOG Scenes: A
Fun: A*
Gameplay: A*
Overall: A*

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Edited on 10/08/2011 at 2:12:26 AM PST

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Oct 6, 11 1:08 AM
TeamSD wrote:I love this one much more than other ERS games, will play a bit more to see and give the full review but I already know that it's a buy for me!!!

Happy to see you back to the first post, always look forward to your first impressions. One suggestion if you don't mind, could you edit in your final thoughts once you have finished the game. This addition would be gratefully appreciated.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Oct 6, 11 1:20 AM
Another great addition to the series. I beta tested this game and couldn't wait for it to be released. The graphics are amazing/voiceovers top of the line/storyline very intrigueing. High quality and a great game. Love this series and this is a must have for sure. Be sure and give this one a try, and if you have never played the other 2, be sure to do so immediately. This is just a great game! Enjoy!

I rate this game: "FINE SWINE"

FINE SWINE:
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)
FINISHED GAME: This is one of the best games and series. I am a lover of MCF, but this series is the best of the best. The animations and graphics are so fantastic! The storyline is so great, it holds your interest through the whole game. You don't want it to end. The bonus was fun, but not nessasary for the storyline. But I'm such a lover of this series, I wanted to play more, and it added to the story. This is a must buy. You won't be disappointed. IMO

Edited on 01/04/2012 at 8:05:45 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 6, 11 1:55 AM
I too love this series and have just spent an enjoyable time trying out the demo .

There are two modes of play and I was playing on the sparkleless one but even so I did laugh at how quick I found the saw, one click of the mouse and viola there it was ... good job I found it before any animals did . The graphics and voiceovers are good and the hidden object scenes have a small amount of interaction and there is some toing and froing involved which I like especially when I know where I am going (I make notes as I play). There are also 33 items randomly spread through the game which have to be collected so make sure to keep your eyes peeled.

The Stragegy Guide only shows 3 chapters so I have no idea if that is the full extent of the game or not because time ran out before I could check as it took me a while to do one of the puzzles.

It is a definite buy for me but I am just not sure which version as I have no interest in the soundtracks (sorry ERS I had to turn the music off), wallpaper etc although the book is included for those that like reading.

Happy gaming everyone .

Cherb

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 6, 11 2:11 AM
I didn`t like the sound I got each time I clicked on an object, either in the HOS (hidden object scenes) or whenever I picked something up outside of them. Very repetitive and gets annoying.

Other than that, I liked the graphics, the characters and voice-over, the puzzles and gameplay - as I usually do with ERS games.

There is no HINT button available in the normal scenes, only in the HOS.
And there are 33 roses to collect - for some later use...

I did not manage to finish the trial version in the hour I got, so that is always a good sign for me.

To be honest, the story didn`t intrigue me as much as some of the previous ones. Maybe I am just getting too used to the ERS concept of gaming, but I wasn`t as excited about this game as I was when I first started out playing their games.

I will definitely buy the SE - own all their games and love them all - but unless I see some really great reviews about the bonus game itself, I won`t buy the CE.

Happy gaming, everyone.

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on Oct 6, 11 2:14 AM
I didn't like the other games of the serie, but I think I'll like this one...although there are a lot of HOG (and not easy to find the objects), but the story is interesting and the puzzles are difficult...(I love to spend time on puzzles instead of looking for objects)... I'll wait till the SE comes out of course, since I refuse to pay double of the prize for a bonus chapter...(most of the time they aren't even good) and I don't need music, nor screensavers,etc...
Raska
Please be indulgent with my english since I'm a belgian girl

Edited on 10/06/2011 at 2:16:23 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 6, 11 2:16 AM
Another excellent game from ERS---their games are absolutely some of the best out there! Now if it just had a WS option.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Oct 6, 11 2:17 AM
cherbtoo wrote:..................The Stragegy Guide only shows 3 chapters so I have no idea if that is the full extent of the game or not because time ran out before I could check as it took me a while to do one of the puzzles......................Happy gaming everyone .

Cherb

In another thread, another gamer said that it is 11 chapters plus the bonus. Hey, at least the SG is accessible during the demo time!

Thanks for the great reviews, everyone! And it's nice to see you posting early again, TeamSD.

Edited on 10/06/2011 at 2:18:53 AM PST

juleslorraine
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by juleslorraine on Oct 6, 11 2:35 AM
A big thanks to those who posted reviews. I always come here before deciding if I'm going to demo something now...well, here and the tech side...so it's much appreciated when I wake up to full reviews on CE days!

alimac196
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by alimac196 on Oct 6, 11 3:08 AM
juleslorraine wrote:A big thanks to those who posted reviews. I always come here before deciding if I'm going to demo something now...well, here and the tech side...so it's much appreciated when I wake up to full reviews on CE days!

Totally agree juleslorraine - I too very much rely on the reviews of the other fishies before deciding to download. Big shoutout to TeamSD, CasualGran, and LovetoMissLisa whose regular, honest and helpful opinions I have come to appreciate so much. Wish I could mention more posters but truthfully all opinions are helpful - so thanks fishies!

So far I have only downloaded the game and will edit with further opinion on the content, but will say that the download took a very long time in comparison to the normal time (took about an hour which is unusual as 30 mins or less is about the norm).

UPDATE: not sure how far through the game I am at the moment, but have been playing about 2.5 hours (but think there is at least another 1.5 hours more) and really enjoying this game so far - very much worth the download wait time. Beautiful graphics and interesting HOS, with interactive parts that make the HOS more than your standard click and find. Puzzles are not too difficult, but some have challenged the little grey cells, and the actual game play has some really interesting challenges too. Even without finishing I would recommend. Another excellent ERS offering that is worth the CE price.

Edited on 10/06/2011 at 5:22:07 AM PST

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Oct 6, 11 3:25 AM
At first I couldn't figure out what was going on--it all seemed so very familiar! Then finally I realized--I had beta'd this game.

Whew!

I enjoyed the beta. Great graphics, interesting plot line. And now that I've figured out why it's all so familiar, I'm enjoying the demo.

A small note: the language usage slips now and then. The French detective of the 1800's uses modern slang of "doing a number." Then later he uses very British slang: "by Jove!" Just two very small nitpicks.

Along with this one: I wish that they had explained why you want the roses the very first time that you see one.

ETA: Early on, you have to find a lighter. That type of lighter was not invented until the early 1900's, so it's a bit of an anachronism. Yea, I'm having a geekette moment here.

A note that refers to the Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet game: this game vs. that one provides a good illustration of the two different philosophies about inventory items. In this game, you collect many things as you go along. In the other game, you don't get an item until it's time to use it.

Because I've been playing both games, the difference between the two ways of doing things became very clear. I'll also post this comment in that thread.

Edited on 10/06/2011 at 7:18:08 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Oct 6, 11 3:50 AM
Somehow the title of this game is misleading: I thought that Edgar Allan Poe had a premature burial (weird, because he wrote always about premature burials ) - but when I saw the game's title, it was written correctly "Dark takes - EAP's: The Premature Burial"...better change the title, BF: "Dark Tales - Edgar Allan Poe's: The Premature Burial...

There is not this year any competition to ERS games - not even Elephant... ERS!!! They have the Midas Touch on the games world...

I began to buy their games without testing first the trial - that much I trust their tallent.

I join the previous positive reviews: Thanks ERS, Thanks BF!

Edited on 10/06/2011 at 3:51:56 AM PST

pjfrompa
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by pjfrompa on Oct 6, 11 4:47 AM
Sorry, I just can't figure out what ERS means.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 6, 11 4:58 AM
pjfrompa wrote:Sorry, I just can't figure out what ERS means.

ERS is the developer from this game (ERS game studios).

I like this game very much, not enough for paying the double price. The graphic is really great, also the gameplay. But I doubt that the gameplay time is not very long like in previous ers games and I really dislike, that the game doesn`t have a widescreen option. Its a buy for me as the SE

Edited on 10/06/2011 at 5:00:11 AM PST

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Oct 6, 11 5:15 AM
I played 30 minutes of the game loved the game graphics are beautiful and loved the voice over, This will be a game for future buy, I will have to wait until the SE comes out, I can't afford CE's anymore what a shame the rest of you fishes that can happy gaming fishes..
I rate this game Excellent..Thx DEV's for all your hard work and thx BF for everything you do for your fishes to make us happy!!!

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Oct 6, 11 5:21 AM
alimac196 wrote:

Totally agree juleslorraine - I too very much rely on the reviews of the other fishies before deciding to download. Big shoutout to TeamSD, CasualGran, and LovetoMissLisa whose regular, honest and helpful opinions I have come to appreciate so much. Wish I could mention more posters but truthfully all opinions are helpful - so thanks fishies!

Shout out to you alimac196! Thank you very much. I enjoy everybody's reviews also and find them to be a big help, when deciding on purchasing a game.

mkinyon
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by mkinyon on Oct 6, 11 5:26 AM
Well, this is interesting. ERS has been pretty disappointing recently, certainly nowhere near the quality level of, say, Elephant. Mystery in Venice, for example, is pathetic and Bronze Horseman not much better. But the demo for this game isn't bad at all! Maybe they are stepping up their game a bit. (Ha! See what I did there?)

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Oct 6, 11 5:35 AM
As always a great game! I love the interactive hidden object scenes.
If you don't like being led around play the harder mode for in casual it gives a lot away.

The story is very good in this one as are the graphics appropriate. I agree with all the previous reviews. Have to go to work so don't have the time to give more today.

Would love to buy but have to wait for SE. I have 3 coupons to use up while waiting

Have Fun Fishies

alpha_Tau
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by alpha_Tau on Oct 6, 11 5:47 AM
Potential spoilers!!!

Pepper010 wrote:... Just two very small nitpicks.

Along with this one: I wish that they had explained why you want the roses the very first time that you see one.

This one caught me out ...

Watch out!!! You can't complete the game without collecting all 33 roses.

The SG states that you will get a chance to collect any missing roses, but, right at the end, tells you that you have to go back through the game zones to find them!!!

If you don't want to be bored to death, make sure that you find them all. You cannot proceed to the bonus level without this.

The game has been a considerable improvement on more recent offerings, especially other CEs, which have often been faulty or relatively short, etc.

With all that, it's a pity that, as Pepper010 noted, the pre-requisite of the rose collection was not clearly stated at the outset, along the lines of "You will need to collect all 33 roses to complete the game.".

Best regards,
aT

Go to: