cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 7 October 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Oct 7, 11 12:01 AM
Any comments fishes?

Re:Todays DD 7 October 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by doofenschmurtz on Oct 7, 11 12:08 AM
This game qualifies as one of the annoying games that are not much fun and just makes you pull your hair out.First the hidden objects are so hidden you'll break your mouse hitting the hint button Then there is the annoying dialog that keeps interupting and I'd have to say not worth even $2.99.Happy gaming Doof

gillydi53
Clownfish
Clownfish
703 Posts

[Post New]by gillydi53 on Oct 7, 11 12:41 AM
Have to agree I D/L and saw that I had played for 13mins but could'nt remember the game so I gave it another shot . Its a really difficult game as in you cant make out any of the things you're supposed to find so will be uninstalling again which is a shame because I am a big fan of playfirst and thought it would be a definate buy. At this rate does'nt seem like I'll be playing much of a part in the charity donation .Have a good day all

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Oct 7, 11 12:42 AM
Hi there,
I agree with Dobbie.
Unfortunately the Pink Ribbon cause will probably be not supported by this offering. Very frustrating and non-sensical even for those of us who wanted to give it a go and appreciate its virtues.
My recommendation would be to give this game a miss - but as usual I hope there are others with a different opinion.
Cheers
Edited to add: Good to see others who have persisted with this game and found it more appealing in the latter stages.

Edited on 10/07/2011 at 11:58:33 PM PST

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Oct 7, 11 12:58 AM
I felt the same way when I did the demo here. I did play it through all the way on another site and totally changed my mind. Once I got into it, I loved it. I will buy it this time.

The short period of time allowed in the demo did not allow you to get into the mechanics of the game. It started out very clunky and turned into quite a nice surprise for me. It became much easier for me once I had no time restraints.

Just my openion but it's only 3 bucks and a good cause, a free punch and you might be surprised if you look at it with new eyes and ck out the walkthrough. i found it a bit magical.

Good night fishes all

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Oct 7, 11 1:07 AM
Definitely a buy for me! I did the beta for it, and I did like it, but not enough to buy it at the time. I thought the story was interesting, and it was challenging. I think when it came out, it had a lot of competition, and it didn't win out for me.

When I saw it on the DD, I thought, Oh, wow, I remember that game! And for three bucks, it's a definite yes!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 7, 11 2:04 AM

I remember thinking that this could have been a really good story and a fun game but that this adventure/HOG had objects that were a bit too small or hidden too well so, I didn't buy it at the time of first offering.

I will buy it now.

Come on, fishies! The game was not so challenging that you wouldn't buy it as a DD for a good cause, right?

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Oct 7, 11 2:10 AM
I liked the game when it first came out but as someone said there was lots of competition at the time so I waited and bought it a sale.
IMO - it's definitely a good buy as a DD

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Oct 7, 11 2:10 AM
This is not the sort of hidden object where you find a lot of items in a scene; instead you find objects or parts of fragmented objects to complete a something such as a statue. Unfortunately the items are not on very small in some cases but also amazingly well blended & pretty impossible to find.

If you click on the item shape you will be given a picture of what parts you need to find to complete it & what colour they are; once you leave the cavern finding them becomes marginally easier as long as the colour is bright. Even so I had to use the hint button far too many times.

The cut scenes during the game are pretty awful & there are no voiceovers & you cannot skip lines of dialogue so you either have to watch it or skip it. There are seven areas to find & I got to number three in about 45 minutes to this is a pretty short game.

You are given a diary with a task list & a map that is not interactive; there is also a Log button which shows you the dialogue history.

As you complete an area you win the ability to do a certain type of magic & to activate it there are mini games which are pretty much the old pipe game so not too difficult. The other mini game I played was a Simon Says.

Despite the nice graphics this is an awkward, clunky & frustrating game from PlayFirst. I intend to buy several DDs this month for a good cause but this won't be one of them

Edited on 10/07/2011 at 2:11:56 AM PST

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Oct 7, 11 2:50 AM
SeaBamboo wrote: ...........
Despite the nice graphics this is an awkward, clunky & frustrating game from PlayFirst. I intend to buy several DDs this month for a good cause but this won't be one of them

This is very well put, I agree completely! Also, btw great review! I Have already deleted this demo. Definite no buy for me.
Happy Gaming All

Pertigal
Shark
Shark
10,783 Posts

[Post New]by Pertigal on Oct 7, 11 3:25 AM
I am not one who normally complains about hard to find items....that's usually the point! But this game was ridiculous! It just wasn't fun to get THAT frustrated. Maybe someone with a larger screen would find it easier.....but for me there was little progress and even less enjoyment. I do seem to remember enjoying the artwork and being disappointed that I couldn't progress to see more of it. This could have been, I think, a very nice game.

adr8p
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by adr8p on Oct 7, 11 5:09 AM
I'm sorry to disagree with all the negative comments about this game, i found the objects easy to find (on a laptop screen, so not large screen), and got out of the cave without using any hints. I'm glad i did the demo for myself rather than listening to other comments, i like this game and have bought it.

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Oct 7, 11 5:41 AM
I didn't have any issues in the cave with the small fragmented objects either, but then I do like a bit of a challenge in a game.

I liked the theme, story, and plot progression within the first hour of play (I only played the demo) very much.

It's a bit quirky, not the run of the mill, though it does contain one of the usual glaring IHOG and FROG cliches (the kidnapped relative!). The graphics are varied, and they range from quite beautiful for the most part to somewhat clunky. The puzzles were the weakest element, at least in the first hour.

I'm happy to purchase this now at the DD price and for a good cause.

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Oct 7, 11 5:45 AM
The graphics are lovely, but I too found it too irritating to buy. I'd play it once through if I got it for free, but that would be it. Too bad, 13 is my lucky number, but not this time. In the hour I played it did seem to get a bit better as it went on.

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Oct 7, 11 6:35 AM
I liked the premise of the game but objects are really, really hard to find and I have a large screen. Trying to decide if it will get better as it took me the full hour to get through the cave section. Used the hint button far too much for it to be enjoyable. Probably a no-buy for me on this one.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Oct 7, 11 6:50 AM
I played the demo, and the game looks interesting,I will buy for the cause my child has breast cancer, DD's that are interesting to me I will purchase..This one is so different then most games you have to have patience, as I went along in the cave it became fun..so please give the game a chance, you might be surprised how fun it can be..Happy gaming fishes...Thx DEV's and BF

[Post New]by TopazMystique on Oct 7, 11 8:06 AM
I was going to pass up doing a re-demo on this since I had given it an "F" when I did the original demo. BUT... I decided to give it another try thanks to SeaBamboo (
This is not the sort of hidden object where you find a lot of items in a scene
&
If you click on the item shape you will be given a picture of what parts you need to find to complete it & what colour they are
) and I have done a 180 on the game. Not an "A+" but definitely an "A" (buy on sale) for me.

I am SO glad I re-demoed this! I did brighten my desktop in order to play the game but it is well worth it; a lovely game although short. If the locks are an indication, I have completed about 3/5 of the game in 1.5 hours but had I not done the demo, it would have taken me much longer. I love the graphics and the story is interesting although some of the dialog disappears too fast. Thanks, SeaBamboo, for pointing out the above and giving me a reason to try this again! I love it!

Edit: I checked the map & blog and decided that the 1.5 hours was probably a little more than 1/3 completed so this is a much longer game than originally stated. And I am -ing it! It is a beautiful, beautiful game and it is really enjoyable not having junkpile hog scenes for a change!

Edited on 10/07/2011 at 4:15:34 PM PST

[Post New]by jailbird400 on Oct 7, 11 12:00 PM
I didn't even give this game a shot due to the reviews. Because of the cause , i tryed it , and and glad i did .Sure i would not have spent 7 bucks on this. Its worth three even without the donation. Its has its issues already stated so not to be repetitive, i wont go into them.But as you go it gets better. :thumbup :

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Oct 7, 11 12:47 PM
Sorry , this game is a no-go for me. I was able to find most of the objects without using the hint button, but the rest were just plain annoying. Even overlooking that fact, I found the game to be overall pretty much boring. I gave up after 40 minutes. I was already into the third element, or I would have been had my magic been able to charge up both the earth and air elements. It took mere seconds to charge the earth element to gain access to the air element tasks, but no matter how I set it up the tiles - even when each element glowed on the left hand side of the screen, I could not get it to finalize when I had the two to charge at the same time. A game that is this fussy and reputed to be very short (I figured about 20 minutes each for 5 elements) isn't worth the effort. Sorry it has to cost the fundraiser a dollar - but there is still a lot of October left over.

Edited on 10/07/2011 at 12:48:22 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 7, 11 2:43 PM
Thought I would give it a try once more, but still don't like it. Objects are very small and hard to find, as other fishes said, had to use hint button in order to find them. It's a no buy for me even at the DD price.

Go to: