bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Post any The Dark Hills of Cherai: The Regal Scepter technical issues here only

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Oct 8, 11 12:13 AM
If you are having problems getting the game to work correctly, we highly recommend going to our Help pages. Using our Help pages is always the quickest way to get technical problems resolved. Here are a few suggested articles that have helped many people correct these types of problems in the past:

Frequent Crashing of Game
Game Compatibility

While we can offer a known solution for technical issues in the forums, or other tech savvy pond residents can swim by with good tips and suggestions, we cannot provide the same excellent level of support provided by our Customer Support team. The forums are not very well suited for the kinds of information gathering and troubleshooting that get these types of issues corrected quickly. If there is a problem with the game, our Support Team can also gather necessary information on what types of computers are being affected by the problem and deliver this information to the developer for a fix.

If you are not able to get a game working properly using our Help pages, please get in touch with our Customer Support team, you can find a link to contact our Support team on the front page of our Help pages.

*Please reserve this thread for tech issues only. If you are seeking game play assistance (i.e. hints and tips), the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the game's Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion.'

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

Re:Post any The Dark Hills of Cherai: The Regal Scepter technical issues here only

[Post New]by sunidayz on Oct 8, 11 12:17 AM
Anyone having any issues with slow downloading? It's been 15 mins. and I've got to 3%! Just wondering if it was just me????? thanks for any input...

Re:Post any The Dark Hills of Cherai: The Regal Scepter technical issues here only

[Post New]by veracruzstud on Oct 8, 11 12:31 AM
Downloaded game fine, but when I went to play it, it demanded I change my DPI settings. Wasn't able to open game until i did. Since i don't want to change the settings everytime I want to play, then I guess it's a no buy for me. Shame, could have been a good game.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Oct 8, 11 1:26 AM
Yes, very annoying to have to change PC settings just to play a game! I will buy it as it was an ok game, but having to to and fro with the size of the text is annoying. Usually games adjust the screen res themselves, and restore back to the PC settins without having to do anything.

Just in case anyone is stumped as to how to change the setting, on W7 I put dpi into the search box and changed text size from 125% to 100% as requested.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Oct 8, 11 1:36 AM
I have WIN7 and I don't get that message. I did't change anything.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Oct 8, 11 1:42 AM
veracruzstud wrote:Downloaded game fine, but when I went to play it, it demanded I change my DPI settings. Wasn't able to open game until i did. Since i don't want to change the settings everytime I want to play, then I guess it's a no buy for me. Shame, could have been a good game.

Once you get into the game, the options menu lets you change the aspect ratio. This may fix your problem.

step54
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by step54 on Oct 8, 11 2:02 AM
I went to change DPI and it wants me to logoff and on to take effect.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 8, 11 2:21 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:I have WIN7 and I don't get that message. I did't change anything.

I also have a Win7, 64-bit laptop, and got the message that: "the DPI setting might not be working and I should reset it" - or something similar.

Then I got back to the "Buy It" part of the GM. And since I won`t be messing about with my computer for a game I most likely don`t want to buy anyway, I will just delete it again. *sigh*

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Oct 8, 11 2:30 AM
Hi everyone,

This game seems to be giving trouble to users with a DPI (Dots per Inch) setting of 125% or 150%. Increasing your DPI settings increases the size of attributes on your screen, like your fonts, windows and desktop icons.

As some fishies mentioned, it is possible to lower your DPI settings, to 100%:

1. Right click on a empty area of your desktop and choose Personalize.
2. Click on the Display link at the bottom left corner.
3. Select the "Smaller - 100%" option here.
4. Click on Apply > OK.

Your system may ask you to sign off your computer user account or restart the system in order to apply the changes.

If the problems continue to persist, please feel free to get in touch with Tech Support for further assistance by clicking on the green to the right of the page.

Hope this helps!

bfgRhone

Edited on 10/08/2011 at 8:00:07 AM PST

[Post New]by becky_ball_uk on Oct 8, 11 3:22 AM
Just downloaded this game and it says my free trial is expired! So I can't play it!

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Oct 8, 11 3:28 AM
W7, 32 bits, Home Edition: did as bfgRhone said; had to change DPI to 100, and the game worked.
Very uncomfortable. Is it possible to ask the developers to change the DPI to 150?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 8, 11 3:33 AM
bfgRhone wrote:1. Right click on a empty area of your desktop and choose Personalize.
2. Click on the Display link at the bottom left corner.
3. Select the "Smaller - 100%" or "Normal - 125%" option here.
4. Click on Apply > OK.

Your system may ask you to sign off your computer user account or restart the system in order to apply the changes.

bfgRhone

Oh, thanks, Rhone. I didn`t know where to find the DPI settings to begin with.

And my DPI is automatically set to "Medium - 125%. The larger one is 150%, and the smaller one is 100% (default). So I would have to set it to 100%.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Oct 8, 11 3:57 AM
I like this game, but I really don't like having to change my DPI. I changed it to 100% and the game works fine. But I have to restart my computer everytime I adjust the DPI setting. This is a problem. But I will get this game with a punch card or DD price. But because of the DPI issue, I wouldn't pay full price. But it's a good game, and I love the cutscene voiceovers, some of the best I've ever heard.

Rhondalay
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by Rhondalay on Oct 8, 11 4:38 AM
sunidayz wrote:Anyone having any issues with slow downloading? It's been 15 mins. and I've got to 3%! Just wondering if it was just me????? thanks for any input...

Yes! This is the first time I've had this issue. I seem to remember other posts on other games where people had this issue. If I remember correctly, it was some issue with the Game Manager and BFG was telling folks how to switch back to the old game manager if this happened.

So...how we do dat? I'm kinda sad because I was getting to like the new GM, but not if this is going to be happening....

PS: I'm back....I went back to look at other posts regarding very slow download. One person suggested closing and then reopoening GM and it might fix itself. Well, thought that seemd painless as it's now only at 20% . So, didn't pause it or anything, just hit the little X to close. Then reopened the game manager, went to the downloads screen and hit "continue" on the paused download. It is now "racing"....am now up to 78%! So try this...hope it works for you all too!

Edited on 10/08/2011 at 4:59:18 AM PST

Kayen59
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by Kayen59 on Oct 8, 11 4:38 AM
Really slow download on my desktop computer that runs Vista but on my laptop which runs windows 7 no problem with the download. That just goes to show how screwed up windows OS's are. Apple computer here I come. lol

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Oct 8, 11 5:25 AM
HELP! Never had this happen before, 2 times i uninstalled and installed again. I have Vista 32 and getting runtime error. What is a run time error? i used 2 different browsers Firefox and Explorer and both give me run time error with a bunch of numbers. I was going to buy this game, but it appears hopeless thus far. If anyone can give suggestions I am all ears. I am using OLDER Game manager but that should not be a problem. I do have my DPI set high to compensate for poor eyesight and I am not going to change it for a game. I doubt that is a problem since I never got to even open the game. Has anyone ever had a run time error before?

EDIT Can't open game it installs great but when I click to play I get Run Time Error(with long string of numbers)
It also says automation error,unspecified error.

Whats up with that?

Edited on 10/08/2011 at 5:37:37 AM PST

[Post New]by heatherington on Oct 8, 11 5:42 AM
This game may not work in current DPI setting. Please reset DPI to 100%. Ya know that might work if I had the slightest idea what the heck DPI was!

Ok, after reading bfgRhone's explanation I realize that I go into the resolution thing when I want to play my KingSol game. But I can't play any of my BigFish games in that tiny of a resolution. So since I have no intention of changing that down so far that I would not be able to see anything in my normal day, I will not do that for one game that I didn't like the first one of that they put out, and I most certainly will not be resetting my entire computer everytime for a game of this caliber. If it was a MCF then that would be an entirely different story. I would do almost anything to play one of those games. Including jumping through hoops.

Edited on 10/08/2011 at 5:49:05 AM PST

yogagirl50
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by yogagirl50 on Oct 8, 11 5:53 AM
I am having the same DPI issue. I'm not willing to change basic computer settings like that for a game. I loved the first one, but won't be buying unless the developer changes the game.

LoveYa24
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by LoveYa24 on Oct 8, 11 5:59 AM
This is the message I am getting when I try to run the game:

'Run-time error 2147467259 (80004005) -
Automation error
Unspecified error'

Anyone else having this problem or thoughts on how to fix?

Thanks!

[Post New]by ham6848burg on Oct 8, 11 6:28 AM
I have the same problems with DPI. I'll delite it. I don't like to change my system for running a game. I'm sorry, the first game of this was perfekt and I loved it.

Go to: