Senior Citizens sign in!!

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

Re:Senior Citizens sign in!!

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jan 11, 18 6:56 PM
I've gotten less obsessive about spelling since I started doing most of my personal online activity using my iPad instead of a PC. I hit the wrong key typing with one finger a lot more often than when using a standard keyboard with ten fingers, but the infuriating part is the autocorrect which can take words I thought were typed correctly and switch them for ones that don't make any sense. And when I try to use the suggested words half the time it seems that they change right as I tap so it inserts the wrong one. Grrrrrr

I find myself editing my posts to fix autocorrect errors multiple times a day.....

Edited on 01/11/2018 at 7:09:57 PM PST

kailuaauntie
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by kailuaauntie on Jan 11, 18 7:07 PM
Jules - I saw your post about completing Tokyo, so I followed your footsteps. I received 1,270 coins but ONLY 5 boosts — bummer dude! Still, I came out ahead.

Edited on 01/11/2018 at 7:08:34 PM PST

kailuaauntie
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by kailuaauntie on Jan 11, 18 7:20 PM
snowmanvt wrote:Yes, it becomes a much simpler game, especially if you ship resources, which is feasible because, as you note, the resource requirements to build monuments decreases by about 80%.

The equation is that by shipping, you no longer need to buy helping hands. Since you don't buy helping hands, the coins can accrue to higher levels. With more coins you can easily afford boosts to win levels and win more coins. It begins to self-perpetuate and the cities become fairly easy to finish. Shipping every four hours can get boring tho. I ship from cities, 10 cities, where it is easy to accumulate the resources to ship. Thus I can get 150,000 resources every four hours for free. Some players don't ship and some ship from many more cities than I do.

To give an example I started Amsterdam with under 4000 coins and no saved green gems. I am about to complete Toronto with 99,000 coins and hundreds of green gems. I am not a great gamer, but I follow my strategy.

Thank you for your input. I stopped buying shipping ports because they seemed so expensive after clawing my way through the more difficult cities. I now ship from about 12 cities but have made it up to 6,000 coins and don’t want to backslide again. Looking forward to some less frustrating play!

missbethann
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by missbethann on Jan 11, 18 7:22 PM
Speaking of spelling errors...it's abbreviating errors that send a chill up my spine. Mostly when people X out Christ in Christmas. I've been trying to change the world for years trying to get folks to make it Cmas, dang the C is right next to the X on the keyboard. How hard can it be to replace the X with a C? Isn't Christ the reason for the season?

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Jan 11, 18 9:22 PM
The X has always been the standard for that abbreviation, probably nobody really knows why, but I think the C does seem more appropriate, but considering the politically correct world we live now it is probably best to use the phrase Happy Holiday's.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Jan 12, 18 12:11 AM
I'm sick of a politically correct world altering our traditions and I also hate the X that everyone seems to substitute for Christmas. I have always refused to spell it with the x, so I totally agree with you missbethann. I think the 'politically correct police' get too involved in bureaucratic pen pushing to make decisions about the stuff we 'supposedly' offend others with (holidays, celebrations, festivals etc etc) when in actual fact, most people are quite tolerant and don't mind others having their celebrations etc. Everyone should be allowed to do the things they like to do, and most of the time, there is no reason why we can't all join in and enjoy them too and they ours. Why do we just assume they are offended by ours? I find here in Australia, its usually the local councils that are the problem, they cancel traditional things because someone will be 'offended' and we can't have that, but the people who are the ones who will be so called 'offended' often ring up the radio etc and say they are most certainly not offended at all and are actually offended by the council thinking that they would be.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jan 12, 18 3:26 AM
The X in Xmas comes from the Greek spelling of Christ, which starts with the letter Chi and looks like an X when you write it. It also reminds us of the cross.

keitht53
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
461 Posts

[Post New]by keitht53 on Jan 12, 18 4:54 AM
How I agree with you Jules. PC mob make me mad. Christmas has now become the 'Winter holiday' or even 'Winterval'. The National Trust, an organisation supposedly there to protect our heritage, changed "The Great Easter Egg Race" to "The Great Egg Race" to avoid upsetting/excluding other ethnic groups.
Just two examples and I could come up with many, many more.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Jan 12, 18 4:59 AM
Yep, I agree Keith, and you know what is so frustrating, is that those same ethnic groups that they think are offended by it, probably aren't offended at all. it's always a few that spoil things for everyone.

[Post New]by globetrotter217 on Jan 12, 18 7:19 AM
OOo_jules_oOO wrote:Is it just me, or does everyone else also notice that so many people on this forum, INCLUDING the mods, spell the word LIGHTNING with an added E? The word is LIGHTNING, not lightening. A quick and simple search on google says this: The English words lightening and lightning are only one letter apart in spelling and pronunciation, but worlds apart in meaning. Look them up, yes, they have TOTALLY different meanings. Better still, don't write the word, use the in the smiley face selection above the message box when typing. Sorry for the rant, but bad spelling REALLY gets me angry. I know we all make mistakes sometimes which is ok, but it's a constant thing with this particular word and it drives me crazy.

I agree with you in principle Jules. However, may I remind you guys from English speaking countries that for many of us English is a foreign language. May be this applies to some of the mods too, their replies seem to be pretty standardized... Anyway, please forgive us when our attempts at written communication fall short of your standards . When writing (or speaking) in a foreign language one tends to do as others do and this is what probably happened in this case .

Edited on 01/12/2018 at 7:22:08 AM PST

keitht53
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
461 Posts

[Post New]by keitht53 on Jan 12, 18 7:21 AM
You're absolutely right about the ethnic groups not being offended, it's the so called 'liberals' who must defend the rights of others, whether they want them defending or not.
Latest ridiculous example was the local police were photographed having a proper 'fry up' at an event to support the farming community. There was a complaint, allegedly from a vegan, that such actions discriminated against vegetarians!
The event had been put on by farmers, but it seems to have escaped the brain of the complainant that farmers produce their veg too.

fishfinder246
Minnow
Minnow
271 Posts

[Post New]by fishfinder246 on Jan 12, 18 8:28 AM
Keith,

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time!!!!
Some people are so STUPID!!!! I mean STOOPID, just kidding!!!!!

Fish

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Jan 12, 18 9:23 AM
lordkalvan wrote:The X in Xmas comes from the Greek spelling of Christ, which starts with the letter Chi and looks like an X when you write it. It also reminds us of the cross.

That is interesting to know, maybe missbethann can be more comfortable now with the X abbreviation knowing that it is a reference to Christ.

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Jan 12, 18 9:43 AM
keitht53 wrote:How I agree with you Jules. PC mob make me mad. Christmas has now become the 'Winter holiday' or even 'Winterval'. The National Trust, an organisation supposedly there to protect our heritage, changed "The Great Easter Egg Race" to "The Great Egg Race" to avoid upsetting/excluding other ethnic groups.
Just two examples and I could come up with many, many more.

I don't think egg rolling has much to do with the true meaning of Easter.

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Jan 12, 18 9:47 AM
Hello Everyone,

I'm swimming by to check in and touch base about the topics being discussed here!

First, please allow me to apologize: I've used "lightening" instead of "lightning" before, and I'm deeply sorry for that mistake. It totally changes the meaning of the sentence, and I definitely understand that a moderator needs to do better. Thank you for bringing this error to my attention; in the future I will use the correct spelling, and I'm grateful for your patience with me.

I also want to quickly remind everyone of the Forum Rules, specifically:

Treat others with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other users, moderators, or Big Fish employees on the forums will not be tolerated. Play nice.

The forums are a place where players from all walks of life can come and find community. The Moderation Team encourages passionate discussion about the games people love, and we definitely appreciate that sometimes, conversation will involve real life subjects. We ask that these exchanges remain respectful and accepting so everyone will feel welcome here. Thank you so much for your help with this.

If any questions or concerns arise, you're always welcome to PM me or another moderator. We're happy to listen and to provide answers. Happy gaming to all.

bfgBeruna

fishfinder246
Minnow
Minnow
271 Posts

[Post New]by fishfinder246 on Jan 12, 18 10:55 AM
Thanks Beruna for your comments, however, I don't feel that any of the posts were "disrespectful", except maybe mine when I used the word "stupid". I regret that, but at the same time I think that we on the seniors thread should be allowed to discuss topics which, although outside the perimeter of gaming, interest us and provide meaningful discussion among those of us who are from an older generation. I truly do not believe that any of the folks that posted comments in the past few days meant to hurt anyone.

Fish

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Jan 12, 18 12:06 PM
fishfinder246 wrote:Thanks Beruna for your comments, however, I don't feel that any of the posts were "disrespectful", except maybe mine when I used the word "stupid". I regret that, but at the same time I think that we on the seniors thread should be allowed to discuss topics which, although outside the perimeter of gaming, interest us and provide meaningful discussion among those of us who are from an older generation. I truly do not believe that any of the folks that posted comments in the past few days meant to hurt anyone.

Fish

Yes that is very true but I also think that those of us from a older generation find it hard to keep an open mind and evolve in a new way of thinking, learn new things, the world changes with every generation, I know that I don't have some of the same values that my parent's generation did, sometimes people have a hard time accepting change.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Jan 12, 18 5:09 PM
I agree, I don't think any of the posts were disrespectful at all.

lordkalvan, thanks for the info about the X, I did not know that so I have learnt something today. But I still won't use it as I like the full word.

Keith, we have things happen like that all the time here, its very frustrating and can be funny too, thats a great example of PC going wrong and being so over the top its ridiculous.

Globetrotter, I realise of course that everyone is from all over the world and spelling can be different, and always forgive mistakes, they happen and its no big drama. It was that word in particular that was so constantly being spelt wrong that drove me nuts. And bfgBeruna, thank you for adjusting your spelling on it, glad you listened. Its more because it really is a different word spelt the other way. And then of course, there is the different spellings between countries, particularly the swapping of z and s between US and English words, that are the same word and meaning but both spellings are correct, I use the English usually. You might all notice that when I spell words like 'colour' and so on, that I use the English 'our' not the US 'or' but its still the same word. Spellcheck has the US version usually because its microsoft so many people think that is correct English when it is not, but its ok but thats perhaps why the US spellings have crept into the English language.

And one more thing, going back to the Easter issue Keith raised, seeing as Easter is now not too far away, I have never ever understood why rabbits and eggs are so associated with each other. I get that eggs are a renewal thing, but what have rabbits got to do with it? They don't even lay eggs!

Edited on 01/12/2018 at 5:14:49 PM PST

[Post New]by globetrotter217 on Jan 12, 18 11:18 PM
Rabbits, for obvious reasons, have, like eggs, long been associated with fertility and new life. There is even a link to the Virgin Mary. [Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 01/13/2018 at 12:13:05 PM PST

kailuaauntie
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by kailuaauntie on Jan 13, 18 8:46 AM
I sometmes forget that I can achieve my goals without removing all the litter on a board, so I waste moves trying to “clean up” the board. Am I alone in this?

Segue: there’s bunches of interesting stuff on the Easter Bunny on Google.

Go to: