bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Ravensburger Puzzle Selection

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Oct 13, 11 12:14 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Ravensburger Puzzle Selection? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions about the game in this thread. We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond! To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game!

A lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Re:Reviews for Ravensburger Puzzle Selection

[Post New]by Streifenbarbe on Oct 13, 11 1:52 AM
Hi fishies,
if you like jigsaw puzzles this game might be a buy for you. The game offers lot of motives such as animals, landscapes......... You can select from two modes and various stages of difficulty. Seems to be nice for spending some spare time which does not allow to dive into an Hidden Object Game or other type of games.
And you cannot loose any pieces
Happy gaming everyone.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Oct 13, 11 1:58 AM
Thanks Streifenbarbe, might be just the desktop game I've been looking for.

It's almost 5 am here, so I'm off to bed. will try it tomorrow.

Good night

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 13, 11 3:24 AM
The first game I ever bought here was a jigsaw puzzle. This looks really good and the perfect game to play right before bedtime. No lost pieces, no dedicated area to set up and no way for a cat to jump right into the middle of it.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Oct 13, 11 4:15 AM
I have just tried this game, doing two puzzles. The first I used 50 pieces and the second I used just 20 to see what it was like.

I wasn't going to bother trying this game even though I love doing jigsaw puzzles. Then I looked at the name again - Ravensburger - and thought 'A ha! I know that name' lol, and now I am very glad I did. I may just buy it - I will try it some more first though

There are 11 categories - dogs, cats, horses, fantasy art, romance, still lifes, landscapes, oldtimers (cars etc), other animals, cities, sports and games. Choosing All or Premium gives you random choices from the categories (I think).

You can choose from 12 background colours, and what I really loved, you can select from 4 different music themes - really cool!

The modes are Campaign or Free, and you can move the screen around to find all the pieces - very nifty, lol. For the trial you choose between 20 and 50 pieces. If you buy the game, the other choices are 100, 150, or 200 pieces.

You know, I think I have just 'talked' myself into getting this game, lol. I love my IHOGS, HOPAS, and FROGS, etc, but this game is a real pleasure to play, and quite relaxing, imho.

You should definitely give it a try. Any jigsaw where you can't lose the pieces has to be good, lol.

Jen

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Oct 13, 11 4:30 AM
I found this game to be really aggravating. The pieces are scattered around, some out of sight. Then you have to physically move the screen around to see them all. Then you have to move them to the centre of the screen, only then can you start to put the pieces together. Most aggravating of all, if you even slightly miss-click the piece, off shoots the board and everything goes off the screen yet again and you have to move it all back again.

More often than not when you've almost finished the puzzle, you find you haven't got a piece and you have to start moving the screen around again to find it. Bad instructions also, I've no idea what the coloured buttons did at the top right side.

Definitely not for me. I much preferred the one the other day - Patricia’s quest for the sun I think it was called.

rj008
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by rj008 on Oct 13, 11 5:15 AM
I was disappointed with this game. Played the trial, that was enough for me. Puzzles to easy, only got to 50 pieces puzzles in challenge mode in trial. The pieces are scattered all over the board, and not all visible so it takes to much time to locate all the pieced before you can puzzle them. I would love to see updated version of this game, i love puzzle games but 20 to 100 pieces puzzles are way to easy to keeping me interested

Hey_j
Flounder
Flounder
2,098 Posts

[Post New]by Hey_j on Oct 13, 11 5:25 AM
For those who are not enchanted by this one, try Jigsaw Mania instead! You have many options, one of which they will arrange the pieces in an orderly neat manner around the playing area--very nice and you don't have a problem finding them all! Lots of puzzles to choose from, too! I believe you can also put your own music in the game. Just a suggestion for another option to puzzle you further!

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Oct 13, 11 5:32 AM
rj008 wrote:I was disappointed with this game. Played the trial, that was enough for me. Puzzles to easy, only got to 50 pieces puzzles in challenge mode in trial. The pieces are scattered all over the board, and not all visible so it takes to much time to locate all the pieced before you can puzzle them. I would love to see updated version of this game, i love puzzle games but 20 to 100 pieces puzzles are way to easy to keeping me interested

The game gets much more difficult once you purchase - only the easier puzzles are available in the trial, but after purchase you can access the puzzles that have up to 200 pieces.

I usually don't buy Puzzle games, I'm a HOG fan, but since I enjoy the jigsaw puzzles within the HOGs and I enjoy putting together real jigsaw puzzles, I thought I'd give this one a try. It didn't take me long to purchase it.

It took a bit for me to get used to the controls. I read the first few reviews here while I was downloading, but when I started to play I couldn't find some pieces - and I thought "what do you mean, you can't lose the pieces?? I did!!!" That's when I realized that the screen is moveable and re-sizeable.

I start off the puzzles by moving the slider on bottom of the left side down, so the whole screen shows. Then I can group all the pieces toward the middle, then resize again until I can tell whether the pieces are edges or middles and sort them into "piles." Then I can resize again so the pieces are big enough to see so I can start putting the puzzles together.

It also threw me off a bit that I had two top left corners, until I realized (duh) that you can turn the pieces around. Overall, the gameplay of this game is more like actually putting together a real jigsaw, because sometimes you have to move your coffeecup to find the piece that "got away" or you've been looking at once piece for what seems like hours, trying to figure out where it goes, until you realize you've been holding it upside down and it fits "right there."

It was a bit annoying when I grabbed a piece to move it and the whole screen moved (which means I missed the piece and grabbed the background) but once I got the hang of it it got easier.

I also like the fact that you can change background colors (which is great if you are putting together pieces that almost match the default background) and you can resize the "completed" picture, so you can make it really small if you want so you don't depend on it so much.

Give it a try!

Edited on 10/13/2011 at 5:35:13 AM PST

Janette5
Clownfish
Clownfish
518 Posts

[Post New]by Janette5 on Oct 13, 11 6:11 AM
What I really like about this puzzle game is that it has a zoom bar on the side and you can make the puzzle pieces whatever size is comfortable for you.
The coloured tabs are docking bars - so if you want to sort the puzzle and put some pieces away until you need them - that is what they are there for.
If you zoom out completely to see all the pieces - yes they do disppear - then it is easier to move them into a docking bar or into the middle.
It has a button to put all the side pieces into a docking bar - could use one to do the same for the non side pieces.
Does have a button to select and move several pieces together.
As far as puzzle games go I think this one is excellent.

Loralia
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Loralia on Oct 13, 11 7:08 AM

This sounded interesting so I am downloading right now. I like jigsaw puzzles as a change of pace from some of the other games.

I also went looking for Jigsaw Mania but couldn't find it here. Do I assume it's on another site?

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Oct 13, 11 8:14 AM
Is anyone experiencing all WHITE puzzle pieces?

MEnr56

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 13, 11 8:20 AM
I downloaded the game and played the demo for a while. Nice graphics, and liked the fact you could add the image of the puzzle to the middle of the screen onto which you can then add the puzzle pieces, if you so desire.

However, I was rather disappointed that a small puzzle like the first one with the billard balls was not offering larger puzzle pieces. The highest I was able to zoom was still giving rather small puzzle pieces.

Anyway, I had a look at the images in the free section, and have to say that those aren`t interesting enough to me to even consider buying this game.

Some years ago I bought a puzzle game that was really interesting. You get the main game(s) on CD, and can download from their site a new image each week or even add your own images, to make it really interesting. The game is called: Living Scenes Jigsaw Puzzles. You can look it up online and check it out.
Not only is the setup well done, some of the images on the CDs are moving images, something I had never seen before (that was some years back, as I said).

Anyway, for those fishies who like this game, enjoy!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 13, 11 8:29 AM
I have tested this game already on the german bigfishgames site. This is a good puzzle game with a good variety of different puzzles. But I think I will wait till the next sale or if it becomes avaiable one day as a Daily Deal. I am not sure if I want this game for full price.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Oct 13, 11 10:52 AM
Love Ravensburger puzzles, but this game not so much. The controls are clunky and the instructions poor. Also, I wish there was a "magnet" (ala Jigsaw Detective) or sweep function to let you gather pieces into a pile to put in a sorting box instead of one by one.

The one thing I totally love is the music! I couldn't believe my ears!

I'd buy this as a DD, but for a full price puzzle game, I will probably buy Patricia's Search for the Sun. That one I do really like a lot. Even the soundtrack!

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Oct 13, 11 1:49 PM
From what I've seen in the trial, I like it! I only own 2 other computer jigsaw games -- Jigsaw World and Jigsaw 365. They have their merits and feel different from the things I enjoyed about this game.

I do find gathering up all the pieces in this game on par with opening the box of a new jigsaw and sorting through the pieces. It's been many years since I've had room to lay out all the pieces, so I have to sort out by color and texture. I'm forever thinking I've got them all and then realizing I've missed some -- so I didn't mind having to move the screen around to gather up pieces that are scattered hither and yon. It felt rather therapeutic. But then I've been playing builder games (right now it's The Tribloos), working furiously to make Gold -- so a leisurely jigsaw is therapeutic!

The 4 different choices of music is very pleasant indeed. The puzzle images are unlike those I chose in box puzzles or my other computer jigsaws. Although many of them wouldn't be my first choice, this variety seems it will hold my interest.

Scattering pieces if you mis-click is akin to the cat jumping in the middle of the puzzle....or to my toddler grand "helping" by re-sorting by color because she couldn't see why I had them sorted into red apples/red cherries or blue water/blue sky.

I agree it's not the slickest interface I've ever seen, but I found it relaxing and pleasantly different so I'm going to go ahead and add this to my game collection. Perfect use of a punchcard credit.

Happy Gaming!

MsHamster
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by MsHamster on Oct 13, 11 3:31 PM
Enjoyed the demo! I played the mode where it walks you thru from easier to harder puzzles. Made it to 100 pieces before the demo expired.

Found the controls a little touchy - kept moving the board when i tried to drag a piece.
Also, having pieces outside of the initial viewing area was annoying tho i got over that by just zooming out at the beginning to make sure i got all the pieces in view.

Overall, nice game.

ritchieprod
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by ritchieprod on Oct 13, 11 3:35 PM
QEIII wrote:I found this game to be really aggravating. The pieces are scattered around, some out of sight. Then you have to physically move the screen around to see them all. Then you have to move them to the centre of the screen, only then can you start to put the pieces together. Most aggravating of all, if you even slightly miss-click the piece, off shoots the board and everything goes off the screen yet again and you have to move it all back again.

More often than not when you've almost finished the puzzle, you find you haven't got a piece and you have to start moving the screen around again to find it. Bad instructions also, I've no idea what the coloured buttons did at the top right side.

Definitely not for me. I much preferred the one the other day - Patricia’s quest for the sun I think it was called.

I'm with you, I love puzzles and was prepared to love this, but the pieces off screen was a complete turn off. What's next, a solitaire game you have to manually shuffle? No buy at any price for me.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 13, 11 9:00 PM
Loralia wrote:
This sounded interesting so I am downloading right now. I like jigsaw puzzles as a change of pace from some of the other games.

I also went looking for Jigsaw Mania but couldn't find it here. Do I assume it's on another site?

You can buy the game here and get a punch but it isnn't listed in the catalogue. Just google the title and you will see it with a link to BF to purchase it. Recently a fishy friend sent me the link as a gift game, it is really tops with so many features to learn and seems like endless more pix to d/l from the dev. Try it anyway. Ran beautiful on my widescreen laptop but on W7 64 bit Ii coould find no way to exit. It will save your game if not finished but Ii have to ctr alt dele to exit and close the gamel. Maybe I am missing a button somewhere but still it's worth it.

I too have Jigsaw 365 for a coouple years and like the quickie 50 pc option just for a quick interlude. You can even chose 25 big pcs if you have small kids who play. Mostly nature, animals, birds, flowers and scenes.

Off to try this one for my pc with XP for downtime. Most my games are on laptop but some quiickies I like on pc desktop with M3s..

asierrahiker
Marlin
Marlin
9,070 Posts

[Post New]by asierrahiker on Oct 13, 11 10:32 PM
I love jigsaw puzzles but I really didn't like the way you miss the piece and move the background by accident or vice versa. UGH! That rarely happens to me with a real table and puzzle.

Actually, I've done jigsaw puzzles on a jigsaw puzzle site, free too, for years now and I think I'll just stick with that for now. They add new puzzles every day and you can even upload your own photos and "puzzle-ize" them. ( I think I just invented a word)

Go to: