bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Oct 13, 11 12:15 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood Collector's Edition? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions about the game in this thread. We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond! To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game!

A lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood Collector's Edition

[Post New]by TeamSD on Oct 13, 11 12:45 AM
Developer: ERS Game Studios

I know what I should expect from ERS, and I never disappoint!

After I loved the first one and waiting desperately to rescuing Tim, this one is even better! Graphics are wonderful, scenes are interesting and story is very unique. The plot is similar to Green Hills Sanitarium but this time instead of fearing the patients, they're fearing the children! Puzzles in this game are really great, enjoy all of them so far. Voice overs are great, music are also really great. Some of us said that ERS used similar music in every if their games, music in this one are a bit different but still really great Another definite buy for me...

Grades:

Graphics: A*
Story: A*
Music: A*
Puzzles: A*
HOG Scenes: A
Fun: A*
Gameplay: A*
Overall: A*

My grades can be as high as A* or as low as F!

Edited on 10/13/2011 at 6:44:31 AM PST

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Oct 13, 11 1:08 AM
ERS comes through with flying colors again! Gorgeous game, with fantastic graphics, good sound, a compelling story, a great strategy guide and a hint system that refills at a reasonable speed. Definitely a keeper! As soon as I get my monthly game credit, I'll be buying a second one so that I can get this great collector's edition!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 13, 11 1:38 AM
The demo download was quick, and the hour I played the game I had no problems whatsoever.

I had 2 minutes left of my hour when I exited the game, and I still hadn`t finished the trial version.

The SG (strategy guide) only shows pages for the first chapter. But there are 7 chapters plus the bonus game, if I remember correctly.

There are 2 game modes, and a choice between system and custom cursor.

The voice-over is excellent.
The graphics are, as usual, very well done.

There are different places to go, and the game was a "buy" for me the moment I stepped into the first scene. I won`t say more so I won`t spoil it for others.

I usually no longer buy a CE, but I did love the first Haunted Halls game - thoroughly enjoyed it - and it seems that this game is at least its equal.

So I am off to get the full version.

Edited to change "6" chapters to "7" chapters.

Edited on 10/13/2011 at 3:36:25 AM PST

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by rhorho on Oct 13, 11 1:42 AM
I think there are seven plus the bonus

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 13, 11 1:46 AM
I've loved Green Hills so I was waiting for this one, I'm not disappointed.

- 2 game mode
- Beautiful graphics (tentacles are back !)
- Story as we might have expected, creepy, but children involved this time.
- Music a bit too loud, even with the sound low, turned it off.
- Voices are good.
- Mini games, up to now, easy
- Hint refills quickly
- SG available from the game and it stays on the page you leave (so annoying when it goes back to the opening page)

This looks like a grand game. A buy.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Oct 13, 11 1:48 AM
Length: 7 chapter + bonus chapter.

Total for SE game - 53 pages; bonus: 54-65 (9) pages.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Oct 13, 11 2:11 AM
D/L-ed this game with no problems. The d/l from "run" to "play" was about 8 minutes. With the new GM this is a pretty good time for me. It is a typical ERs game, Very Good! IMHO. The graphics are great (the colors are bright) except for the "fog" they occasionally use for ambience in the H0 scenes. And of course I have been waiting to rescue Tim!! H0s are junkpile-ish but I found most things fairly easy to find. The Hint system takes 1 minute to recharge in the normal mode and there are sparklies in this mode. There are two modes of play to choose from. Normal or expert or casual and expert, sorry I don't remember the exact wording. lol. I found the music to be theme appropriate and enjoyable. There are the usual sliders for music and sound, check box for fullscreen(no widescreen that I saw) and choice of custom or system cursor. I played with the custom and had no problem. It morphs into an eye(where there is something to take a closer look at), a hand(to pick up things you need to use) and arrows for directional navigation. The SG shows it has 7 chapters plus the bonus and it stayed open to the last place I accessed it ( I did this just to see if it would). There is a click penalty for over clicking, but it isn't too bad. Also, for those Fishies who hate them there are Snakes,Mice and Creepy Crawlies sorry. I thoroughly enjoyed the 41 minutes that I played and can't wait to buy and get back to it! I think I will enjoy this one more than the first. Will see!
Happy Gaming Fishies

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 13, 11 2:19 AM
rhorho wrote:I think there are seven plus the bonus

You are absolutely right. Just checked the SG again.

The download for the full version was almost as fast as the trial version. Was done in a few minutes.

SPOILER ALERT - Go over with cursor to view...

I am, as I said before, a sucker for certain things in a game, like Christmas, Rain, Snow, and Forest areas.
The first door took me to a forest - how beautiful - and that sold it for me.

I have to say that I was really worried about the boy in the tree. LOL I wanted to kick that wolf and get him off. This part of the game is so well done, I almost feel as if it`s for real. LOL

ETA: I am now in the second place, and oh... what fun!

Second ETA: I am now in the third place, and I am not disappointed. What a great story and great gameplay. Now this is an excellent game. Not only are the graphic as great as they usually are, but the gameplay of this game is so much more interesting and fun than I had seen in the last few ERS games.

Edited on 10/13/2011 at 3:34:34 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Oct 13, 11 2:30 AM
There are just some words when reading a review that stand out and you don't have to read anymore. And those word's are ER's. That in it's self says it all. When looking for a good game if you see these letter's, you run to buy it. And if you see the letter's HdO, you run away as fast as you can. lol This is a great game and it's a buy for me. Has everything I'm looking for, widescreen,voiceovers,2 modes of play,great graphics,great story. It's ER's, I need not say anything more.

I rate this game: "FINE SWINE"
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Oct 13, 11 3:24 AM
Loved the first one and this one seems to be very well done based on the demo. However, I have to agree with the reviewer (in the Comments thread) who felt that, based on the demo, this game is more simplistic than the first. Seems like the tasks are easier (i.e. the key to the cabin is right outside) and the play more linear. Will definitely buy once the SE comes out. I prefer not to buy CE versions unless they are spectacular.

juleslorraine
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by juleslorraine on Oct 13, 11 3:26 AM
Valdy wrote:The demo download was quick, and the hour I played the game I had no problems whatsoever.

I had 2 minutes left of my hour when I exited the game, and I still hadn`t finished the trial version.

The SG (strategy guide) only shows pages for the first chapter. But there are 6 chapters plus the bonus game, if I remember correctly.

There are different places to go, and the game was a "buy" for me the moment I stepped into the first scene. I won`t say more so I won`t spoil it for others.

I usually no longer buy a CE, but I did love the first Haunted Halls game - thoroughly enjoyed it - and it seems that this game is at least its equal.

Thanks for the lovely review Valdy...I'm off to try based on yours!

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Oct 13, 11 3:31 AM
With ERS I often have to think of the artist Corneille. Such a production rate! (No, I'm not saying the quality of ERS games is to be compared with the artwork of Corneille, don't get me wrong, please).

I must say, I liked playing the demo of this game more than playing Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The premature Burial all together. Don't know exactly why, but there it is. Maybe the atmosphere, or the chance to save children instead of helping ghosts of murdered people. I mean, the last Dark Tales made me feel down, all of the time. I guess I've had it a bit with murders.
Anyway, this new ERS seemed more worthy of spending the necessary dollars for it, although waiting for the SE could be wise as well. I'm on the fence. On the one hand I want to find out what happened to the children and continue rescuing, on the other hand I want to save myself money, since I haven't got that much to spend nowadays and... this might turn out to be same old, same old as I progress further. Games lately have the tendency to bore me very quickly after the first levels.

What to say about the game itself? Well... ERS all over. So nicely drawn persons, very clearly even, but hazy junkpiles to search through. I always click on the most vague and distant objects and I am right doing so in almost all occasions. It's also a good idea to keep in mind that you visit a junkpile twice. Looking at such a one closely the first time, can make your second search a very fast one.

All in all an OK game, but doubtfull if it's really special.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Oct 13, 11 3:35 AM
cbtx wrote:Another fantastic game from ERS.
Graphics are excellent--gameplay is precise and smooth--story is very engaging, but be warned that some of the themes involving childhood fears may be disturbing to some.
The only complaint is that this game, like ALL ERS games has no widescreen option. It seems to me that if other devs can easily provide this , ERS could too and it would make their great games even better! Just saying.
But overall a must buy.

Don't exactly know what you mean. I have a widescreen monitor, 1920 x 1080 screenresolutions standard, and the game plays perfectly fullscreen. So... maybe it's not ERS that's causing your trouble?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 13, 11 3:43 AM
My standard (recommended) screen resolution is also 1920x1080, and I also never get my widescreen monitor of my laptop to fill with ERS games.

There are a very few games where the whole screen actually fills: Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles is one such game, and so was Reincarnations: Back to Reality. But none of the ERS games fill my widescreen monitor.

However, I am so used to seeing black bars at both sides of my screen, I don`t really care about them. In fact, I am so used to seeing them, that I actually get surprised if a game does fill out my whole screen. LOL

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 13, 11 4:00 AM
This is a good game, but not a great one in my opinion. It also doesn`t full my widescreen monitor (like all Ersg games for me). I wouldn`t buy the game as the CE, but surely as the SE. Happy gaming everyone

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Oct 13, 11 4:04 AM
i have a 22' screen and it is full!
all in one another very good ERS game!
they have done a good work on new music!(eared our complain?thanks devs)
original story with same topic but very different way to tale
good voices,great graphics(with ERS it is pleonasm!)
length which seems honest(i played demo in 40 mn,but i played beta first!)
a buy for me!
have a happy day,fishes!

alimac196
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by alimac196 on Oct 13, 11 5:01 AM
This is worth every penny for the CE cost! Amazing and beautiful graphics, good long game, really makes you think but not so hard that you start to give up! The puzzles are fun, (but not overly original which might be my only and very minor gripe), and the HOS have interactive parts that make them fun as well. ERS has again produced a fabulous game and I would highly recommend!

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Oct 13, 11 5:11 AM
I want to rescue Tim! Love the graphics, and the music is just enough different from the ERS usual not to drive me crazy. What's behind all those doors? I can't wait to find out...but, I will, because I can't afford a CE this month. However, the second the SE comes out, I'll be pouncing on it! Love it!

[Post New]by gamineannie on Oct 13, 11 5:15 AM
juleslorraine wrote:
Valdy wrote:The demo download was quick, and the hour I played the game I had no problems whatsoever.

The SG (strategy guide) only shows pages for the first chapter. But there are 6 chapters plus the bonus game, if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the lovely review Valdy...I'm off to try based on yours!

Thanks Valdy, Poutoule, BearKat and CasualGran for the informative reviews!

Go to: