SandraSwede
Shark
Shark
14,103 Posts

Re:Racist title image used by BFG for "Voodoo Chronicles: The First Sign"

[Post New]by SandraSwede on Oct 14, 11 2:22 PM
Honestly, I never find anything racist in these games unless someone points it out and even then I don't even find it racist. It's a game.

There are numerous games being sold right here at BF that have Viking helmets with horns...

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Oct 14, 11 2:27 PM
Hi wemberly,

Since this thread revolves one game, I'm going to move this thread on over into the Voodoo Chronicles: The First Sign Game Forum where this discussion can be continued here. Thank you.

-bfgArnoStyx

zunan
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by zunan on Oct 14, 11 2:44 PM
isnt voodoo the name of the man ?? don't see racism..it is a game ...

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Oct 14, 11 4:17 PM
zunan wrote:isnt voodoo the name of the man ?? don't see racism..it is a game ...

I think wemberly is talking about the picture on the game, not the name of the game. I'm sure he/she will correct me if I'm wrong. I didn't even look at the picture to be honest until I read this post. I'm not sure I could tell anyone what any of the pictures look like on the download page of any game. I go straight to the screenshots, then the forums.

Welcome to the pond wemberly

bigdave02
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by bigdave02 on Oct 14, 11 4:37 PM
It ony a game,if you think its racist (removed by moderator)

Edited on 10/15/2011 at 12:10:14 AM PST

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Oct 14, 11 5:02 PM
it is a shruken head they look weird not everything is racist.

dianaluna
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

Being respectful in this Pond

[Post New]by dianaluna on Oct 14, 11 5:30 PM
bigdave02 wrote:It ony a game,if you think its racist (removed by moderator)

One of the things I count on is the courtesy of the "fish" in this pond. Someone wrote in about the image for this game and I think she has a point. In any event, he/she was sincere. But your (removed by moderator) response goes past just disageeing. Other chat rooms/forums are filled with these kinds of dismissively rude comments. I think BFG forums are above that. If you feel a need to say that you disagree, just state: " I don't agree that it was rascist." And maybe give a reason. Instead, you attacked the person by insinuating he/she is being petty. That's unfair and the moderator should have stepped in to tell you that.

Edited on 10/15/2011 at 12:11:46 AM PST

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Oct 14, 11 7:01 PM
I only see a very ugly kind of vodoo doll. And these days, it would be very stupid of the developers to specifically select a racist icon or image. My opinion.

Edited on 10/14/2011 at 7:56:59 PM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Oct 15, 11 12:13 AM
Euskalduna wrote:I only see a very ugly kind of vodoo doll. And these days, it would be very stupid of the developers to specifically select a racist icon or image. My opinion.

Me too Euskalduna.
Of course wemberly has every right to post their comments regarding this, but I think this post might be somewhat mistaken on this occasion.
Still is does serve a purpose in that it makes us think in politically correct terms!!
Cheers

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Oct 15, 11 12:27 AM
Hi everyone,

Just swimming by with a friendly reminder to be mindful of our Forum Rules when sharing your opinion. Everyone is entitled to voice his or her opinion, but we ask that you do so in a respectful manner towards other fishies:

Treat others with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other users, moderators, or Big Fish Games employees on the forums will not be tolerated. Play nice.

Thanks!

bfgRhone

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 15, 11 12:31 AM
There is always one...

Dorathea
Salmon
Salmon
2,794 Posts

Racist title image used by BFG for "Voodoo Chronicles: The First Sign"

[Post New]by Dorathea on Oct 15, 11 3:28 AM
Welcome to the pond Wemberly

wemberly wrote:The image of the character on the title picture is truly reminiscent of the ridiculously racist images from the times of slavery - and of portraying Africans and African Americans as having exaggerated, scary facial features!

I don't see it as racistic and nor do I see it as refering to anything with slavery.
Think it's quite common in Voodoo to paint the face or some of it like a skull, also the Voodoo priest is meant to be scary - in reallive aswell.

caseymom
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by caseymom on Oct 15, 11 5:04 AM
Oh, please, let's come back to earth. This is a game...if it offends you, don't buy it. What picture would you like BF to use...an Irish Colleen, or perhaps a Russian man? Read your history...Voodoo came to us from Africa. The picture on the game is NOT A RACIAL SLUR....it is simply a picture on a game. Take a breath, [removed by moderator] and get over it.

Edited on 10/15/2011 at 8:43:08 AM PST

LULU5635
Marlin
Marlin
8,049 Posts

[Post New]by LULU5635 on Oct 15, 11 8:20 AM
I agree, the picture was not accompanied by racial rhetoric or salacious comment. It's just a game cover no matter how how you look at it, no hidden agenda that I can see. Of course, some folks will see what they want to see, in any venue, that's their prerogative.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Oct 15, 11 8:27 AM
All I see is a picture of a Voodoo witch doctor wearing
what is a typical voodoo mask meant to be scary. It is
a mask and not exaggerated facial features.

I've visited New Orleans which was known for its Voodoo
practioners and seen many of this type of image. Not
meant to be racially specific, but typical of the practice
of Voodoo.

I'm truly sorry it bothered you wemberly, but perhaps
a little research into Voodoo practices might help
you understand what it really represents.

kateinaz
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by kateinaz on Oct 15, 11 11:22 AM
I came to this forum to get a review of the game before trying the demo, saw this post title and came THIS.CLOSE to getting sucked into this thread. Then I remembered that I come here to play games and not engage in political/social debate. Plenty of that elsewhere (everywhere?) Whew, that was close! lol

Happy gaming, everyone

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by bball111 on Oct 16, 11 4:07 PM
wemberly wrote:Oh my goodness, couldn't the developers have designed (and Big Fish Games have used) a better title image for the tomorrow's game today, "Voodoo Chronicles: The First Sign"?

The image of the character on the title picture is truly reminiscent of the ridiculously racist images from the times of slavery - and of portraying Africans and African Americans as having exaggerated, scary facial features!

Interesting, other websites with the game are using a different image instead of this disturbing caricature (see <a href="http://forums.bigfishgames.com/faqs/list.page">[removed by moderator]</a> .

Hope to see BFG get rid of this title image.

They seem to have eliminated it in the collectors edition. As they should eliminate it in this SE.

Edited on 10/16/2011 at 4:10:01 PM PST

Kiwicouple
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by Kiwicouple on Oct 16, 11 6:30 PM
There is always one.

Kiwicouple
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by Kiwicouple on Oct 16, 11 6:36 PM
bball111 wrote:

Hope to see BFG get rid of this title image

They seem to have eliminated it in the collectors edition. As they should eliminate it in this SE

Funnily enough..when I saw the SE I thought colourful, cute graphics, and went to download..

After viewing the CE because you pointed it out...I thought boring..and cancelled my download.

Edited on 10/16/2011 at 6:37:00 PM PST

steelerlady1
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by steelerlady1 on Oct 17, 11 3:37 AM
Valdy wrote:There is always one...
YEP!!!

Go to: