bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Cursed Memories: The Secret of Agony Creek

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Oct 15, 11 12:20 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Cursed Memories: The Secret of Agony Creek? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions about the game in this thread. We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond! To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game!

A lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

Re:Reviews for Cursed Memories: The Secret of Agony Creek

[Post New]by bratzgram on Oct 15, 11 5:59 AM
This game has the same old story. A town taken over by supernatural beings. Fortunately the game play is very good. The graphics, music and voice overs are well done.

The hidden object scenes are very interactive and the mini games are few (in the demo) but just difficult enough to make you work for it. They can also be skipped.

I did a lot of wandering around wondering what to do next so it is a good thing there is a walk through. There is no map and as areas are added that would definitely be a plus.

I waited for the SE of this game for budget reasons and now am glad I did. I finished the demo with 3 min. to spare and completed a good third of the game according to the walk through. As much fun as this is I hesitate on buying due to length or lack of I will put it on my list and get it at some point.

[Post New]by scoang on Oct 15, 11 9:29 AM
I played the Beta of this and did the survey. I really enjoyed it and am happy to be buying it today to finish the game. Thx BF for all the great games.

Lazeedragon
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by Lazeedragon on Oct 15, 11 12:19 PM
yeh i love getting to play the pre released demos ^^ they r fun was not chosen for this game but have others may get this one next month ^^ want the BGF mouse pad my mouse pad is about 6 or 7 yrs old now and really want the BGF one LOL!
and i love that we can leave reviews because i have found that sometimes the demos r not enough sometimes grrr...but i love most HOG's =^U^=

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Oct 15, 11 12:45 PM
just finished the game and found it very interesting. good graphics, sound and story line..downside is it did not seem to be long in coming to the end.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Oct 15, 11 12:53 PM
Tried this one as a CE and had it on my buy list when the SE came out. I am not fond of wallpaper, so I don't buy the CE just for an extra chapter. Hidden object scenes are clear, some are interactive, and not difficult. So far puzzles are relatively easy. I read that it may be a short game, but for me, there is no such thing! When people say they can finish a game in 3 hours, I know it will be MUCH longer for me. I don't use the hint button, and my husband laughs at me when I keep looking for 20 minutes for one item. Then I get my teenage daughter to help and she finds it in 5 seconds! She also helps me with the puzzles my addled brain can't get. So far, no help needed. Like the music, and like the no sparkles option. The story may be similar to what we've seen before, but I am enjoying this one.

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Oct 15, 11 1:18 PM
So glad this one is out, as I enjoyed the CE demo and have been waiting for the SE

Played the demo for half an hour, still loved it, and snapped it up using my PCC. I have to wait until The X Factor finishes to play though, obviously

Edited on 10/15/2011 at 1:18:36 PM PST

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Oct 15, 11 4:07 PM
I'm glad that I changed my mind and used a credit on this game! The demo didn't quite suck me into the game, but once you get past the preliminaries, the story to this game gets quite interesting!

There are numerous locations to explore, and once you do a little bit of backtracking in one location and accomplish all goals, you are basically done with that area and you move to new and unexplored locations.

The hidden object scenes are fairly easy, and there is some interactivity in them. The graphics and music are nice enough, and most of the puzzles are do-able. I think I skipped only a couple of them.

The story has a wonderful surprise ending! I loved that I was never told that important key element until the very end. There's also a sneak peek, complete with short video, about the next game to come, which seems to be totally unrelated to this game.

I enjoyed this game. It made for a fun Saturday afternoon. Thanks BFG!

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Oct 15, 11 4:40 PM
I agree with cnbmimi11.

I just finished the game as well. Good graphics, sound, voice overs and story line. I had no tech. or download issues at all. I will recommend this game, but I do agree that it did seem a bit short.

Edited on 10/15/2011 at 4:49:24 PM PST

lyssa7712
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by lyssa7712 on Oct 15, 11 8:35 PM
accidentally put this in the "comments" thread, so I'll paste it here too...

just finished the demo, and it's an okay game - but nothing spectacular.

you have the standard options - volume (music and sfx), custom cursor, and full screen. I had black bars on the sides, but didn't do anything to alter it as that doesn't bother me.

two levels of play - casual and advanced. advanced has no sparkles, and hints regen slower. I played advanced, and no tutorial was offered.

the story line isn't bad, and I was interested in finding out what happened in the town. Hidden Object scenes were not difficult, and had some interactive items to find (opening a bag or drawer, drawing aside a curtain). puzzles seemed pretty easy, and didn't take much brain power. inventory items are used exactly where you'd think they would be, and were easy to obtain.

I finished the demo with 3 minutes left in the hour that BFG gives. after checking the walkthrough, that's almost exactly 1/3 of the way through the game. while I'll definitely keep it on my "dd buy" list, I didn't feel it was worthy of even a punch card credit. had it been longer, I would have jumped on it just to have for a rainy day.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 16, 11 4:52 AM
I liked the game enough for buying the CE. The storyline is very good, also the graphic and gameplay. The gamelength good be a little bit longer. But overall its a great game

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Oct 16, 11 4:59 AM
This Interactive Hidden Object from Vast Studios is the usual story of being stuck in a haunted town & trying to solve the mystery. The graphics were not as good as I would expect, the backgrounds are nicely drawn but the moving figures such as moths, birds etc. are pretty shaky, nor are the human characters as fluid as they could be.

The scenes filled my widescreen (it can be changed in the options menu) but the colouring is quite dark & brown, during the demo it was played at night, it’s raining heavily & given the theme I assume this is the reason but it has been done better.

The voiceovers are really excellent; the music & background sounds also suit the story. The H0 scenes (and there are many) have interactive items; always a plus & the mini-games are not too hard as long as you are patient.

On Easy mode there are sparkles & glints, the hint recharges at 40 seconds while on Hard mode there are no sparkles (even for H0 scenes) & an 80 second recharge. You are given a journal which does give some clues but there is no map for the various locations.

BTW I love the way Felix turns a menacing amber colour at the front of the game; although it does not have the best storyline I am enjoying the gameplay so this is a buy for me.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Oct 16, 11 4:09 PM
I got the game love every second Kuddo's to the DEV's and BF..The graphics are awesome love the sounds..This game holds your interest,,

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Oct 21, 11 1:44 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game. The IHOGs were a challenge and fun. Mini games, some were hard but easily skipped and others were easier and entertaining. Good graphics and the voice overs didn't drive you nuts. I had to turn the music down, because at times it was a bit annoying. The ending tied up nicely.

All in all, a great game you won't regret the purchase. However, do expect to be challenged. I didn't use the walk-through, but I did use the hint which recharges quickly.

Fifiluna614
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Fifiluna614 on Oct 30, 11 12:23 AM
I just finished this game and I loved it! Just the kind of IHOG I enjoy: difficult enough to hold your interest and yet clear enough indications of where to go and what to do next. Very intertaining story line, to boot.

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Nov 23, 11 6:19 AM
Really fun game. I enjoyed playing it immensely!

karica
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by karica on Nov 25, 11 1:17 PM
I`ve just finished the game, the story line stretched my imagination

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Nov 27, 11 7:32 AM
i enjoyed this game
the story was well done
the puzzles and games were well done too
some of the H.O. screens were heavily shadowed and not as much fun
great ending!!!!

blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on Nov 27, 11 4:34 PM
OK, here's my review:

Graphics: This is a VAST game, and although the scenes are generally on the dark side, I thought the graphics have been clearer on some of their other games. Also, the cutscenes seemed a little short and not as well-done as others.

Voices/Sound: There was no separate switch for either of these, and the voice-overs were few and far inbetween. When I'm playing a game with people in it, I like to hear them talk. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't remember a lot of extra sound effects, either.

Music: The music was very repetitious and subpar. Very disappointing for somesone who enjoys good and appropriate tunes.

Minis/HOGs: I chose to play the hard or difficult mode and was delighted to see that there were no indications of where the HOGs were located unless I actually clicked on the area. Other hotspots were indicated by the custom cursor changing if it floated over them. There weren't a lot of HOGs, and the minis were mostly on the simple side, although I did have to resort to the WT to solve one of them. Some objects were skillfully hidden in the HOGs and nothing was too tiny or difficult to see. There were unlimited hints and skp options available.

Game Overall: I really love VAST games, but I have to say that I was a little disappointed in this one. I love dark and spooky, but this one didn't quite "grab" me. The story line was ok, and I wasn't totally surprised at the ending. I would play this one over again at some point, but not any time soon.

Recommendation: I would still recommend this game to anyone who likes this game type and genre, but know that this is not one of VAST's best.

Out of 5 stars, I would give it

Edited on 11/27/2011 at 4:35:07 PM PST

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Jan 8, 12 5:46 PM

I have to say that I did NOT feel that this was a bad game at all and very intriguing. I did needless wandering around because I was careless in NOT scanning every portion of each scene to find and pickup necessary items but other than that, I found the game easy to follow.

To be honest, I found the ending to be quite peaceful.

MEnr56

Go to: