bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Oct 16, 11 12:14 AM

Hi Fishies!

We’d love to hear what you think of Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition; your reviews are very important to us and to other fishies. You’re more than welcomed to post your thoughts about this game in here! You can also specify if you played the game from the trial version or the full version and on which level you ended your game play, so that other players can get more out of this discussion!

Keep in mind a lot of people visiting this thread will have never played the game before so if you are posting spoilers please remember to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Feel free to go ahead and create a new discussion in the game forum if you’d like to discuss other topics than your general feedback on the game. If you are experiencing technical issues, remember to check out the support thread Here.

Happy gaming!

bfgKenai

Terrenis
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

Re:Reviews for Guardians of Beyond: Witchville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Terrenis on Oct 16, 11 1:00 AM
Just finished playing chapter 1 and I liked it very much! And I'm more one of a TM player. But I'll wait for the SE, because I can't afford the CE now ! But I wish you all a happy Gaming!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 16, 11 1:11 AM
Finished the demo, and it is a definite buy! The graphics are crisp and clear, the story is interesting, and like all games from this dev, you get drawn into the story pretty quickly.
Just wish the widescreen option would give me a WS instead of shrinking it.

Edited on 10/16/2011 at 1:18:26 AM PST

tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by tillybaby on Oct 16, 11 1:15 AM
Love the game and have bought it, just waiting for the download to finish,

The game is professionally done, great storyline and not too easy either although I'm playing on the middle option of three (I can't remember the terms used) Unfortunately I don't think there will be much housework completed today.

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Oct 16, 11 1:31 AM
Played 40 min. Game by Vogat, three modes of play casual,advanced, expert. Five chapters plus bonus. The strategy guide stays where last checked out. The bonus content is available to try out. Can play without guide if you have the patience, the hidden object portion is playable without being too frustrating. As with many of these adventures it starts with your car crash and from there you spend time searching for keys to unlock in order to move forward, need to move back and forth some but on the whole able to do so with logic. I played in casual and found it a tad easy, plan on starting over in the advanced mode just in case I need to skip a puzzle or two. In my 40 min. I was still in the first chapter but I like to take my time and read and check every thing out. Its a lovely and enjoyable adventure can't wait to get back. Try it out its fun and holds your interest, you keep wanting to know what happens next.

maggisaxby
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by maggisaxby on Oct 16, 11 1:35 AM
Oh dear! Am enjoying this so much that I may have to buy, CE or not. Seems nice and complex even in easy mode. Lovely graphics, intruiging story, good games. Looks like a lazy Sunday for me too.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 16, 11 1:52 AM
Note: bit of Spoiler in invisible ink so don't highlight if you don't want to know what I said .

The first thing that struck me was the fact that Vogat were actually offering to let us try a bit of the Bonus Game and that is a first, thank you devs . The second is that the there are three options of play: Casual, Advanced and Expert, great for everyone . The latter has no tutorial, no sparkles, no hints and no skips ... wish I was clever enough to be able to play that mode but I'm not so I played in Advanced mode .

It is a good job that I had the hint button available because I would have been stuck forever at the beginning of the game trying to find the shell ... to my eyes it didn't resemble any shell I have seen and I would never have found it in a month of Sundays or beyond ... I think it might have supposed to have been some sort of cartridge shell but even then I didn't recognise it as such .

The graphics are very good as is usual with Vogat's games and I see that there is an interesting item in the list of objects to find ... a wood shaving . It made a very welcome addition to the usual boring list of objects that we have to find game after game and I hope I get to find other original objects as I play further.

To me the only downside to this game looks like being the length because there are only 42 pages to the Strategy Guide including the bonus chapter so only time will tell if this game is worth the CE price.

Cherb

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Oct 16, 11 2:50 AM
This was a really great game! The graphics and music were very good along with the gameplay. The ****'s and mini games (not many mini games in the demo) were challenging enough. The storyline was good. I would rate this a 9 out of 10. Too bad this was a CE, too expensive for me. Guess I'll have to wait for the SE hopefully.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Oct 16, 11 2:50 AM
Goodday fishies!

We're surprised with a Vogat treat today: a thrilling story about a little town where persons slowly seem to turn into ghosts and you, as the psychic expert should find out how.

What I especially appreciate is the chance to play a part of the Bonus game. We haven't seen this before, and I'm sure a number of fishies will like this opportunity.

Vogat also gives us three gamemodes to choose from: Casual, Advanced and Expert, so every kind of player can be satisfied.

The H0 scenes aren't too junkpiley and the searchlists are limited, meaning you don't have to find too many objects at one time.

The graphics look somewhat grainey, but that's more or less part of the Vogat-style, at least to my eye.

Good game, although hard to say if it's worth double money.

To me 4 out of 5

Enjoy!

Edited on 10/16/2011 at 2:51:48 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 16, 11 3:46 AM
You can play 3 modes, Casual, Advanced, Expert.

"Une première" you can play a bit of the bonus play, right from the menu.
SG is available in the demo.
Game doesn't seem too complicated (played the whole sample).

But I'm afraid I'm getting sick and tired of games starting with a character driving, then comes this big light of a ghost, then a car crash, then you have to look for keys in order to open the boot, then all these improbable ghosts all over the place, etc, etc....

So this will be a no buy for me, may be as a SE, using a pc credit.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Oct 16, 11 4:28 AM
Played the full demo. Graphics are great as usual for Vogat. The beginning of the game was not very exciting like their other games, it didnt grab me right away.

I am disappointed that there are no voice overs. They do voices so good a real shame this game didnt have that outstanding feature. I like the SG that kept your place.

I did have the full screen for my large screen. I have win 7.

Still a little disappointed as Vogat is in my top 3 favorite devs.

Will have to think about purchasing this one.

Happy gaming

Edited on 10/16/2011 at 4:30:39 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 16, 11 4:44 AM
This is a great game from my favourite developer. I like especially the storyline. The graphic and gameplay is also outstanding. For me its a definete buy today (because I want the mousepad). Great game

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Oct 16, 11 5:19 AM
Very, very good game Thoroughly enjoyed the demo, and the sneak peek of the bonus chapter, great idea.

I was a bit disappointed at the no voiceover thing, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if I was in the market for a CE. As it is, I am going to wait for the SE, because the game isn't quite "brilliant" enough for me to splash out on and be impatient over

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Oct 16, 11 5:27 AM
This review is based on the demo version.

Guardians of Beyond: Witchville by Vogat is about a town whose inhabitants become "ghosts" without the benefit of dying. You play the part of a psychic who, after receiving a call from a co-worker already in Witchville, heads out to help unravel the mystery.

Up front options include sliders for sound and music, buttons for custom cursor, widescreen and fullscreen. Three play options are available: Casual-which includes the full array of sparkles, tutorial, quick filling hint and skip buttons; Advanced - No sparkles, tutorial, slower filling hint and skip buttons; Expert - No tutorial, no sparkles, no hints, no skips. (Note to developers - please read) However, even if playing in expert mode, everything that is clicked on and everything that is retrieved contains hints stating what needs to be accomplished or the purpose of the item, thus defeating the purpose of expert mode. In a game that has a built in strategy guide/walkthrough and a hint system for those that wish to use them, why does the game have to have all of these embedded hints? Okay - rant over.

The storyline is interesting and the graphics are excellent. The HOS are very well rendered and creatively done. None of the objects are small, but some are artfully hidden, which I like. There are no voiceovers, something I can take or leave, but the ambient FX are very good with water movement, wind blowing, etc.

I'm purchasing the game, so I'm off to download and play. I'll post my full review tomorrow.

Edited on 10/16/2011 at 10:04:03 PM PST

SnowMeow
Stingray
Stingray
5,934 Posts

[Post New]by SnowMeow on Oct 16, 11 6:55 AM
textrekkie, great review! I love Vogat, No problem with download, I like the story and it is a beautiful game. Will be a great Sunday!

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Oct 16, 11 7:07 AM
This is a great game! Lot of things to do. Some of the puzzles I had to skip.
Beautiful graphics and good HOS.

Thanks Vogat en BF.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Oct 16, 11 7:18 AM
First of all I see there are some newcomers to BF and I would like to say welcome and you have made an excellent choice in joining
This is an excellent game IMO. The hidden object games are a bit on the easy side and there are a lot of them The mini games are few, based on the demo,but unique. The story is a good one. Really liked how you just scroll over the notes and your tasks pop up. No waiting for a different page.

The few things that I didn't like?
Voice overs would have been fantastic here. At a point you put a map together but unless you purchase the game you don't know if you actually use the map. It's a CE

Really liked this game but have to wait for SE. I will buy a CE this weekend just to get the mouse pad That ought to please the other half. I have a stuffed Felix on the back corner of the desk and now a mouse pad? LOL

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 16, 11 7:25 AM
What I appreciate about VOGAT is they are going against the trend of not letting you see the SG until you buy it.

pros
Like FACES, you can try the bonus gameplay in demo mode. This time its a "preview" don't know how long it is
Full access to ALL the SG
3 modes of difficulty
music along with wallpapers, concept art, and bonus gameplay for the CE
I personally prefer VOGATs graphics, they have some colour and differences, everything doesn't look the same!
H O scenes don't have that washed out look to them, they are clear

cons -
Hints even on hardest mode on objects you click on
no voiceovers
usual junkpile hidden object scenes and % wise to rest of game, to many for me
(looks shortish to me, but could be wrong)

Edited on 10/16/2011 at 7:55:39 AM PST

doccat5
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by doccat5 on Oct 16, 11 7:52 AM
I don't normally buy CE's but this one was great. I couldn't resist. Great graphics and a decent story line. Lately they've all been creepy, but then Halloween is just around the corner. LOL

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Oct 16, 11 8:51 AM
Still on the fence about CE or waiting for SE. One thing I LOVE about this game is that you can play 3 different levels. Having just started playing these types of games, I always start out in easy mode. Now, I dislike being led by the hand (fin?) and playing in expert mode always had me seeking the walkthrough too many times. Having an advanced mode is a great compromise. The one thing I dislike is the same old same old beginning. Is there no other way to begin a game other than a car crash? Still in all, looks like a promising game. Hmmmmm, CE or SE.....

Go to: