cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 18 October 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Oct 18, 11 12:13 AM
Any comments fishes?

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:Todays DD 18 October 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Oct 18, 11 12:38 AM
Oh, I wonder how this will be "received" as this game was released here with a separate Strategy Guide in the days before they published walk-throughs!!
This is one of the easier and more accessible of the Sherlock Holmes adventure games IMHO, but had a few perceived problems when first released - mind you I had no computer technical problems myself, but had a few stress-out moments when I couldn't see a way forward. Exited, took a few breaths (and coffee etc) to revitalise the brain cells and headed off again.
Suffice to say that for those of you who would like to support the Pink Ribbon cause and are fans of Adventure games without the H0 influence, well here is your opportunity.
As usual, give it a try for yourself to see if the game "fits".
Cheers

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Oct 18, 11 2:52 AM
This is not a simple hidden object game from Frogwares; the graphics, artwork & music mirror all the other Sherlock Holmes games from this developer. As ever the game is beautifully drawn & there are many types of puzzles to solve & it is extremely challenging to play.

There is no voiceover but quite a lot of dialogue which is clickable but still quite slow.

There are 3 modes, Casual, Detective & Adventure; I used Casual in the demo as I do not have the expertise to play in the harder modes. Once you get past the initial scenes in the game you will find 3 icons at the top left of the screen, a picture of Holmes which returns you to Baker Street to analyse, deduce, etc, a map to move to areas as they open up & a hat which is Scotland Yard where you look at witness testimonies, crime reports, etc.

You only get 3 hints per level & you cannot earn more so you may need to resort to a walkthrough more often than you would like.

You will have to find objects in a scene & identify them from a silhouette although if you hover your cursor over the object you will be given its name, e.g blood stain. Many of the items were extremely small & an inbuilt magnifying glass would have been really useful but unfortunately you have to strain your eyes instead. As there are so few hints it is made more difficult.

There are also puzzles through the game but there is a limited number that can be skipped, seven in casual mode & only three in the other modes of play. Some of the items that you find are also puzzles; you select an item & drag it over the puzzle icon (looks like a jigsaw piece). The puzzle icon will turn a golden colour when all the puzzles in a location have been solved.

This was altogether too confusing for me but perhaps gamers with an adventure background may find it easy to play.

menora
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by menora on Oct 18, 11 3:47 AM
I love adventure games but this one is no good for me as the objects are just too small to find. I only got as far as the artist's lodgings and used up all three hints before finding the key to the glass case in the garden. I've searched and searched but no luck so I'm giving up, a pity because it looked like it might have been a fun game

[Post New]by Columbia999 on Oct 18, 11 5:15 AM
I played for about five minutes before logging out and uninstalling the game. I hated the way it makes you use hints with no choice in the matter, and it was just very boring.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Oct 18, 11 6:24 AM

While I really did not like this game at all, I did complete it but had to use 2 walkthroughs from 2 different gamesites in order to finish this game.

MEnr56

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Oct 18, 11 8:38 AM
I always try to give DDs a fair trial, especially this month.
I've gotten some really good games, some so-so games
that maybe would not have paid full price but were
enjoyable as a bargain that also added to my punchcard;
and some "out of my regular genre" types that I've
enjoyed.

But, just can't get into the dreary, muddy look of this
one. Finding H0s by shape is not to my taste and
the game seems eeriely quiet. no sounds that I've
heard other than the music, which I always keep low.

So, while a no buy for me, I do hope others enjoy it.

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by Poem123 on Oct 18, 11 10:12 AM
I spent the hour not enjoying the game but to my surprise, ended up buying it. I think it's because my trial ended half way through a deduction and I wanted to finish that.

Recommend people play on "Casual" to get the maximum hints/skips (you'll want them!). I used up too many of my skips already since I didn't think I'd buy it.

I feel the devs put a lot of time into this game. It has a complex murder plot where you need to link all the various pieces of evidence you have collected. It is quite confusing even with the excessive hand-holding in casual mode. After a while I got into the swing of it though.

Graphics look great on my widescreen. I don't bother trying to find the hard-to-see objects, I just spam my 7 hints per level. You can adjust the gamma which brightened the scenes for me.

Back to finishing that deduction.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 18, 11 11:19 AM
Mmmm this is a bit different game. (edit- updated after finished game)

For those of you thinking this is a hound of the baskervilles type game it's not. It's even different to a lot of the other style Sherlock Holmes games. And to those thinking it's an old style hidden object game - with traditional hidden object scenes it's not that either.
I like that there is a timed/untimed option, that there is 3 different difficulties of play. There is an option that you can manually put in for your resolution. I changed mine to a lower resolution and it did make the black bars at the side smaller which was good.

I don't even look at this like an old pure adventure game.
But put this in a more interactive mystery book type game. As you do have to read and follow the story.

I lOVE that the hidden object scenes are not junk pile but part of the story. I will forgive a game most anything if there are no junk pile scenes. And it's a find shape of items not word list, but when you click on shape it will tell you what it is. Some are very hard to find, but with patience most I did find. Playing on a laptop pulled close did help!

I don't think the puzzles are particular hard but some like the painting are just tedious. Some are more of the traditional adventure game variety, you have to think for some of them! I also like that they are unlocked when you play them, so you can go into the menu and replay them.

For those that like stories, or something different with some nice puzzles then this is a check out game. I would not spend the full SE amount on it, but for a DD/punchcard credit think it's a nice buy. I really enjoyed it.

It is a "should have DD" recommendation from me (not a must have).

edit - tech wise no problem from me (so far) I have nvidia card, windows 7 64 bit. I thought I had a glitch but I didn't and played the whole game with no problems.

pros - Interactive hidden object scenes (got to uncover things to get to some items)
- unlocked puzzles
- no junk pile H O scenes
-great story, got to think
-more difficult puzzles

cons -
- Some of those objects are really tiny, I did get most with adjusting lighting and patience, and hints
-needed more skip options for puzzles
-deduct board, got a bit tedious

Edited on 10/19/2011 at 5:06:24 PM PST

grannyq
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by grannyq on Oct 18, 11 2:04 PM
I tried this game and really tried to like it, but I just do not. It is hard, but I don't mind that in and of itself. The one word that sums it up for me is boring. The items are difficult to find and by the time I do, I no longer care. Ah well, back to Steve the Sheriff!

vervaine
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,122 Posts

[Post New]by vervaine on Oct 18, 11 3:08 PM
Thought this game crashed 6 minutes into it, but it turned out that it was just the tutorial. It won't let you click on anything that is not the next step of it.

It's a weird little game... Like a 3D point and click Sherlock Holmes gone casual and being clueless how exactly it should look like Hidden objects are tiny and really hard to find, but at least the scenes are natural, so no giant broccoli in the clouds... Puzzles are more varied than typical IH0G fare. Story and investigation looks interesting enough, I haven't noticed anything special about it yet, but if Holmes gets involved, it can't be a simple murder...

From technical side, it's bad. No windowed mode, options state my resolution correctly but the game is still 4:3, cursor is slow as heck and doesn't stop at right edge...? but does at left one? Really awkward interface, it looks like it was thrown together at minimal budget.

NOTE: this game auto-saves at the beginning of the chapter!! It doesn't save every bit of your progress, so if you exit in the middle of the chapter, you will start again at the beginning of it, not exactly where you left!

... I'd prefer manual save to this auto-save thingy.

Despite atrocious interface, I bought it. The story doesn't sound that different from LFA Sherlock Holmes games, and it'd definitely different than usual IH0G. I just hope it's long and good enough for me to suffer through clunkiness and insane H0

Survivor01
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by Survivor01 on Oct 18, 11 6:57 PM
I just couldn't get into this game. I do like that the items to find are actually part of the story, but many are VERY small. I too thought it had frozen until I accidentally clicked where the tutorial wanted me to click. I hate that it made me use 2 hints just to show how the hints work - and did the hints find something small? No, they found something very obvious and hard to miss. Most of all I hated having to constantly close the pop-ups. It got very old very quickly. On one scene where you zoom into the cabinet in the garden, it took me a while to notice the 'x' way up in the top right corner - I couldn't figure out how to close the scene. Anyway, no buy for me - and I'm kicking myself because I forgot to buy Steve the Sheriff!

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Oct 18, 11 9:17 PM
I too just couldn't seem to get into the game which is too bad because it looked quite intriguing. The graphics were lovely but a lot of the objects were extremely small. While I do love classical music, unlike the popular consensus, I did not find the music enjoyable, in fact I found it annoying and ended up turning the volume down very quickly. Usually games will not let you move forward if you have missed something. In the first level, I never took the cloth sample to be analysed...did I miss some instructions? - I played the expert mode. But it couldn't have been all that important because once I leveled up, I didn't have that option any more...so why did it need analyzing then? This is just one example of how I found the game to be lacking in direction which didn't help matters. Sorry I think I'll pass on this one without regrets save for the lost contribution.

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Oct 18, 11 11:38 PM
Just finished demo I think this game has the makings of a good one, but I got stuck in the Garden ran out of hints , and decided not to bother, I am looking for a game that is different and a little more challenging I think this would be for me except for impossible to find hidden objects even with the hint I had a hard time !!
Wish I had played in casual mode...I am not sure whether to buy or not I have half an hour to make up my mind ! Going to check mac reveiws !!!

twotrickponies
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by twotrickponies on Oct 19, 11 3:41 AM
SeaBamboo wrote:This is not a simple hidden object game from Frogwares; the graphics, artwork & music mirror all the other Sherlock Holmes games from this developer. As ever the game is beautifully drawn & there are many types of puzzles to solve & it is extremely challenging to play.

YES, it IS gorgeous - but... i'm going crazy because i know the music and can't remember the title of the piece that is played. the violin rendition is so gorgeous that i don't mind that the game is going slowly and that the hidden objects are REALLY hidden.

does anyone out there know what music is played in background? i keep thinking the south - it reminds me of when i was very young and listening to music in n.c.

HELP!!!!

sadies_dad
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by sadies_dad on Oct 20, 11 6:51 AM
I agree that the hiddel objects are nearly (or actually) invisible. That's a pain - only a walkthrough enabled me to find these. And, at some locations, when I clicked on certain objects or completed a puzzle half-way through doing the tasks for that location (not all objects or puzzles found/done), I'm transported to Sherlock's sitting room, and can't go back to finish the location. On one puzzle, the one where you complete squares, the computer twice skipped my turn, and took two for itself, giving a square both it's third and fourth side, enabling it to complete a long chain of squares that otherwise did not yet have a 3-sided square. The deductions part was a real pain - I found little logic in the selections required, and no useable explanation anywhere.

[Post New]by ccjkl5 on Oct 21, 11 8:28 PM
So very hard especially for this 60+ gal. Love Sherlock Holmes though.

IvvyM
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by IvvyM on Oct 22, 11 12:00 AM
No logic to the deduction board... spoilt it for me & stopped me going further (couldn't!). Poor.

Go to: