bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Best in Show Solitaire

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Oct 18, 11 12:14 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Best in Show Solitaire? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions about the game in this thread. We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond! To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game!

A lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

2easy
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

Re:Reviews for Best in Show Solitaire

[Post New]by 2easy on Oct 18, 11 12:36 AM
Really!

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Oct 18, 11 3:21 AM
I actually lost track of time while playing. It was relaxing--as if someone found a way to turn a time management game into a "manage the scenario" game. There are still objectives to fulfill; you still have to buy upgrades (in this case, better dogs, food to give them energy and toys to raise their loyalty and alertness), but the time pressure is gone. This game maintains the pressure..but it focuses on what you do, rather than how fast you have to do it. I particularly enjoyed that, as my computer is not all that fast and neither am I, which makes time management games difficult.

Bottom line--I enjoyed it. And if anyone here is a particular fan of card games or of low-pressure time management games, I think he or she will too.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Oct 18, 11 3:23 AM
This is a Fairway-type game of solitaire. You have to choose a dog and name it - cute and the cards have pictures of different dogs on them. Some of the hazards are : you have to find a fence so doggie can dig under it and have to find a ball so dog can chase after it. Unfortunately I didn't understand some of the instructions - I daresay I'm thick! Otherwise I think this is quite good. Not sure how long game is I had done 3 levels before demo ran out. There are dog bowls and dog biscuits as jokers (I think - as I said I didn't quite understand it all.)

Not a bad game but I won't be buying it.

Edited on 10/18/2011 at 3:24:52 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 18, 11 3:30 AM
This is a solid card game, like Fairway Solitaire. The graphic is a little bit fuzzy on my laptop, not really clear. Gameplay is okay. I won`t buy it yet, but maybe on the end of the month if I need another game for my punchcard or on the next sale. Not a great game but a good one

Dee_H
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by Dee_H on Oct 18, 11 3:58 AM
Good solitaire game, however, when I saw previews comparing this to Fairway, was hoping for similar commentary (think 'Best in Show' movie's commentators Trevor Beckwith and Buck Laughlin). The commentary in Fairway makes it a better game in my opinion and having that snarky humor would have won this over for me. Even though the credits are starting to pile up, I'm on the fence whether this one is a buy.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Oct 18, 11 4:20 AM
I love this game. It plays very well on my PC and, since I am nuts about animals anyway, the various dog cards really appealed to me. You also have different breeds of dogs which become unlocked as you play.

Each breed has its own special abilities, but they don't come cheap and you'd better save up those virtual to be able to afford them. I'm currently playing with the Beagle and have her trained, fed and watered to the max.

I agree, some commentary would have been nice. Although, in fairness, the commentary in Fairway Solitaire did get a bit much after hours of gameplay and I had to turn it off and put some music on instead.

If you love animals, especially dogs, and you liked Fairway and Faerie Solitaire, I'd say give this one a go. Once you start, you can't stop playing

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Oct 18, 11 6:12 AM
I'm not really into card games, but decided to give the demo a try anyway. It was a little confusing , all the info they threw at you with all the doggie information, but the basic card game was understood. It was okay and a decent way to pass away an hour. I would rate it 6 out of 10

margojg
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by margojg on Oct 18, 11 6:40 AM
I tried this game and found it to be "OK". I guess I was subconsciously comparing it with the Fairway Solitaire game and found it lacking (I really like Fairway and have played it through several times). I found the gameplay a bit jerky and the instructions a bit unclear, but suspect the quirks of the game will be revealed as the game progresses. I have decided not to buy for now ,Maybe as a DD I might reconsider, but not just now. I know that some will find it a fun and enjoyable game. I hoped it would be my cup of tea as I am an avid dog lover and would have liked to explore some of the information being given out about the different breeds, etc.

sorahi23
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by sorahi23 on Oct 18, 11 6:56 AM
I like the concept of this game and the actual game play was enjoyable. When I was downloading it I was prompted to install something from "Microsoft" which I refused to do and that initially made me suspicious of the game, but I decided to go ahead and try it after reading the reviews here.

As other people have mentioned in the technical thread the game shut down my game manager and then didn't seem to do anything. Eventually it started and I began playing the game. The cards moved fine, but at the end of every hand there was an approximate 22 second lag (yes, I counted) and then when I hit continue to play the next hand there was another lag of about 10 or 12 seconds. I was enjoying the game, but found the wait at the end of every hand annoying. I decided to try loading the game again, so I quit entirely and reentered. Again the game manager closed (which isn't really a problem) and then the game loaded immediately and this time the lag between hands was gone. I don't know what the original problem was, but after it disappeared the game was very enjoyable.

I was confused by some of the information that popped up and I didn't try all of the extras in the shop, nor did I listen to the sound, so I can't comment on that. All in all, this is a game I will keep in mind and would definitely buy as a DD, just not sure about buying it right away.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Oct 18, 11 9:51 AM
Nope, won't pay for just one solitaire game no matter how many dogs there are. I like variety.

[Post New]by gladysschmuck on Oct 18, 11 9:56 AM
This game was buggy as all get out for me. I gave up trying to figure it out or getting it to work after 4 tries.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 18, 11 1:47 PM
This could easily be a nice game with not too much change. Definitely needs a commentator, very boring sounds. Needs more instruction on how to use items you purchase and what to use them on. Very confusing. I love the Fairway game and have played it so often, I have run out of names to give myself. I was hoping this would as much fun. Please, "good" instructions and some fun commentary! No buy for me either.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Oct 18, 11 4:27 PM
After stressing over that Visual C++ Repair or Reinstall box , just hit Cancel. Game activated fine and played fine. I bought it.

Like a transmission, It is more "manual" than "automatic" LOL. There's a reasonably good tutorial, but still lots of reading, remembering, switching dogs, either by your choice or because they need food/water/rest. Just like real dogs, it's a labor of love, not necessarily easy though. Honestly, it's having so much to do for myself that drew me to this game. But I can really understand why it will drive others away too.

Each breed has special traits (not necessarily same in real life LOL) which work like Powerups to get you out of certain situations. When you encounter a certain blockage or other problem, you can hit Menu, then "Dog Select" where you can review powerup traits Trained and also Loyalty. Then there is also the Shop where you can purchase doggie items to help you along the way.

I posted in Tech thread too because of the Visual C issue and also because of several reported 'glitches' which of course could be glitches -- or they could just be learning how to work around all the different challenges by switching dogs or using food/water/supplies you purchased or found under cards.

I'm only 1.5 hours into it, but so far, I got around every issue by switching dogs or using an item purchased or found. Hope it continues to go that smoothly. I dogs in general and especially my little Schnoodle SweetPea so I feel very much at ease -- unlike Fairway Solitaire which I also love but since I've never played golf, I didn't even know what a mulligan was.

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by Poem123 on Oct 18, 11 11:10 PM
This is a nice, smooth (for me, no technical issues) game that I'd probably get if it were anything other than solitaire, which unfortunately I'm bored of. No matter how nicely you polish it, it's the same old game I've played way too many times.

Enjoyable theme (I'm a dog/animal lover) but would prefer a different card game.

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Oct 19, 11 5:27 AM
I really wanted to like this game but for some reason, I found it hard to see the numbers on the cards...and I have a big monitor!!

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Oct 19, 11 7:12 AM
This could have been a good game However I want to be able to relax when playing these type of games and having to make a time goal makes that impossible for me. Also when I decided to leave the game I couldn't find an exit so had to shut off my computer to do so. A voice over would also make things more interesting.

[Post New]by GradGames on Oct 19, 11 7:54 AM
It's great being able to read all the feedback about Best in Show.... If the game does well and we move onto a sequel I think it's a pretty universal requirement that we get a commentator/announcer. That would be awesome!

mkastor
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by mkastor on Oct 19, 11 12:46 PM
This is cute! I am a dog gal, not a golf gal so this solitaire was more suitable. Love the different breeds and the funny quirks you get. A buy for me!

MsHamster
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by MsHamster on Oct 19, 11 3:16 PM
Cute game, nice theme.

Very sluggish for me. When cards spun to the discard pile, they would go slowly. I tend to play this type of solitaire quickly, so was very frustrating when the faster I tried to play the slower the cards were react. Several times I would have to click multiple times on the continue button before the next game would be dealt.

Go to: